Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look at it this way, some people will b1tch about everyone and everything, no matter how good or bad it is.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
      I look at it this way, some people will b1tch about everyone and everything, no matter how good or bad it is.
      Welcome to the everyday life of the Internet Fan Forum Fandom.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        Welcome to life.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I think most people watch a show for the overall show. Yes, people do have favorite characters and sometimes they do leave or get killed off. So are you going to stop watching? Heck no, I was upset when RDA left SG-1, I felt Season 9 was a poor transition, but by the end of Season 9 and then Season 10 the show started to find it's way again. Atlantis on the other hand killed off two of my favorite characters. If they did not do this. We would not have gotten eps like Adrift, Lifeline, This Mortal Coil, The Kindred, and Ghost in the Machine and among others. It brought a lot of drama to the show and I think people who appreciate good drama like myself enjoyed it. Those were some of my favorite eps. Of course some of the others ones were great also.

Moving on to another thing. I watched Sanctuary again the other night, I tuned in because of Amanda Tapping. Gotta say I like her better as Carter more. The show is good, but it's not Stargate. I am not sure how much more I can watch Sanctuary. I think when SGA ends I might not tune in anymore. My point is, should I be watching Sanctuary for it's overall show or just one character? I should be watching it with an overall perspective, so hopefully I can get into it enough to keep interest.
          Good point, I don't tend to get into a show like I have with Stargate (either SG1 or SGA) because of one or two characters, it's the stories that are far more interesting, I might like some characters more than others but there's only a few shows I have watched because of a certain character and I was not as interested in the overall show.

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
          again it depends on the new storyline. Teyla was left behind in TLT and some fans ie Linda didn't like it. and tbh they're right, she could've accompanied Shep and Zelenka. TPTB would have needed a reason but come on how hard can it be? so to answer your question, if the reason for less Teyla or Ronon is a great storyline for both characters then it'd be ok imo
          So should we have had wallpaper-Teyla then in 'TLT' ? Because that's what would have happened and there would have no doubt been a thread started about it like "Why did Shep take Teyla with him, what was the point?" or "What difference could Teyla have made going with Shep?" That has been mentioned about her before, Teyla just being wallpapered etc, in this case it didn't happen and the character was put to use or didn't appear when TPTB have nothing for her.

Comment

Brian, I agree completely.

Jumper, believe me when I say that I've tried to explain exactly that. And you'd think it would be okay because it seems to make sense. It's not like I'm devaluing anyone's opinion or disrespecting anyone, but whenever I say it the post just gets cast aside while people claim I'm JM's lacky or something. Or they'll point at my sig (which used to be McKeller most of the time) and cite that as my reason for defending TPTB. Which is so much BS because that reasoning has nothing to do with who I ship or which characters I like.

Talking objectively about anything is near to impossible. Rational discussion amongst people on opposing sides? Forget about it most of the time. I could continue to bang my head against my desk every time logic is cast aside in favour of the reliable standby, "well you like so-and-so, so that's why you think the season is doing well".

Season 5 is perhaps SGA's best season yet. And I understand that it's not to everyone's tastes. I understand that some people don't like the new cast or the different direction that JM and PM have been taking the show. But you can't rationally deny the fact that the show is as popular as ever. Or claim that getting rid of Keller will make it better. Just like I can't claim that killing Ronon or keeping Keller and making her the center of the show will make it even better and killing her will make it worse.

I've enjoyed Season 5 immensely so far. I'm sad that this is the last season because I could see TPTB taking what they've created and going far with it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post
              Has Keller has been taking screen time from Teyla and Ronon?
              I honestly don't know

This is something that keeps getting mentioned and I'd be interested to see the proof, the team consisting of Shep, McKay, Teyla and Ronon only get what screen time TPTB write them in for, if Zelenka were to start appearing more and making a bigger difference on the show would anyone be pointing out that he is taking screen time from the regulars? Same with Lorne, I know there are people who want him on Atlantis more but again to do that he would (in theory) cut into others screen time.
              you know I was discussing this with FAII in another thread. IIRC he claimed that TPTB are currently focusing on Keller and as a result tend to forget not only about Teyla and Ronon but also recurring characters like Zelenka and Lorne. he's right imo. however how are they supposed to develop Keller if we only see her in like 3 or 4 eps? it's impossible. yes there's also the love triangle but I guess that's just something you like or you don't seeing as it also involves Rodney and Ronon

Both the commander and CMO tend to have a good role on the show and to use 'The Lost Tribe' as an example:
              Spoiler:
              Keller had quite a few scenes with Ronon and her original purpose on the Daedalus was to explain to Todd in more detail about the treatment.

Teyla was on Atlantis and was left there because what difference would she have made had she gone with Shep? None, she would have been wallpapered. To me that is making good use of the characters and not having them standing around without something to contribute.
              ah see that's it: what difference would she have made? I'm sure Linda would love to answer this question

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Welcome to life.
              yup it sucks
              sigpic
              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

So should we have had wallpaper-Teyla then in 'TLT' ? Because that's what would have happened and there would have no doubt been a thread started about it like "Why did Shep take Teyla with him, what was the point?" or "What difference could Teyla have made going with Shep?" That has been mentioned about her before, Teyla just being wallpapered etc, in this case it didn't happen and the character was put to use or didn't appear when TPTB have nothing for her.
                But useless screen time is better than no screen time, dontcha know? Minutes and seconds matter now because what a character does is not as important as the number of seconds they spend on your television screen
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Welcome to life.
                  So true.

Good point, I don't tend to get into a show like I have with Stargate (either SG1 or SGA) because of one or two characters, it's the stories that are far more interesting, I might like some characters more than others but there's only a few shows I have watched because of a certain character and I was not as interested in the overall show.
                  Well when Ford got the boot, I was more than happy. So sometimes it is for the better. People say that "Oh the Writers could not write for Ford" That is BS, imo. They wanted to shake things up early.
                  sigpic

Comment

you know I was discussing this with FAII in another thread. IIRC he claimed that TPTB are currently focusing on Keller and as a result tend to forget not only about Teyla and Ronon but also recurring characters like Zelenka and Lorne. he's right imo. however how are they supposed to develop Keller if we only see her in like 3 or 4 eps? it's impossible. yes there's also the love triangle but I guess that's just something you like or you don't seeing as it also involves Rodney and Ronon
                    The Queen anyone? Or Broken Ties and Tracker? Deadalus Variations?
                    sigpic

Comment

So true.

Well when Ford got the boot, I was more than happy. So sometimes it is for the better. People say that "Oh the Writers could not write for Ford" That is BS, imo. They wanted to shake things up early.
                      I liked Ford.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                      Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

OH CRAP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
                        I liked Ford.
                        Yeah, but compared to Ronon. I like Ronon a lot more.
                        sigpic

Comment

yup! it's pretty much like this person posted on Joe's blog, except for Teyla
                          It’s a no-win situation. Let Keller gain some fighting abilities so she isn’t helpless - problem with fans. Leave Keller helpless - problem. Keller backs down from others and only talks when terrified - she’s a whiner! Keller stands up to people and offers solutions to problems - and she’s a b!tch! Wow!!! Talk about never being satisfied.
                          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...t-information/

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                          Brian, I agree completely.

Jumper, believe me when I say that I've tried to explain exactly that. And you'd think it would be okay because it seems to make sense. It's not like I'm devaluing anyone's opinion or disrespecting anyone, but whenever I say it the post just gets cast aside while people claim I'm JM's lacky or something. Or they'll point at my sig (which used to be McKeller most of the time) and cite that as my reason for defending TPTB. Which is so much BS because that reasoning has nothing to do with who I ship or which characters I like.

Talking objectively about anything is near to impossible. Rational discussion amongst people on opposing sides? Forget about it most of the time. I could continue to bang my head against my desk every time logic is cast aside in favour of the reliable standby, "well you like so-and-so, so that's why you think the season is doing well".
                          trust me I know exactly what you mean, try talking about the ratings

Season 5 is perhaps SGA's best season yet. And I understand that it's not to everyone's tastes. I understand that some people don't like the new cast or the different direction that JM and PM have been taking the show. But you can't rationally deny the fact that the show is as popular as ever.
                          which thanks to ratings is a fact

Or claim that getting rid of Keller will make it better. Just like I can't claim that killing Ronon or keeping Keller and making her the center of the show will make it even better and killing her will make it worse.

I've enjoyed Season 5 immensely so far. I'm sad that this is the last season because I could see TPTB taking what they've created and going far with it.

The Queen anyone? Or Broken Ties and Tracker? Deadalus Variations?
                          Linda would tell you that Tracker was about Keller and DV a team ep. so basically the only Teyla-centric ep's The Queen, BT for Ronon
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Yeah, but compared to Ronon. I like Ronon a lot more.
                            Me to, but I've had alot more time to learn to like Ronon.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:

I like the yellow ones.

OH CRAP!!!

Comment

Linda would tell you that Tracker was about Keller and DV a team ep. so basically the only Teyla-centric ep's The Queen, BT for Ronon
                              So cast aside any character development in almost every single episode because they don't happen to be centered around one favoured character?

Nope. I can't do that, nor do I think that it should be done.

What did we learn about Teyla in DV? She is willing to expand her knowledge base to things technological. She recognizes her potential setbacks and failings and does what she can to rectify them. She continued to be worried about her role as both a mother and a warrior and had a very nice conversation with Ronon about it.

Shall we discard Ronon's sweet and caring behaviour in both DV and SoW last season because those episodes didn't feature him predominantly?
                              sigpic

Comment

I've been lucky. My least favorite character died in the Hive and my 2nd least favorite died in Sunday
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X