This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elliecat View Post
    Men of the Pegasus Galaxy, watch out, Keller's about!!
    *meanie *

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
      Keller: Isn't Zelenka, well, kind of a creepy perv...he's always keeping a respectful distance, not constantly hitting on me like all the other guys. You know what they say about the quiet ones. I don't trust him...I'd recommend a therapist for him, but oh, yeah, I think she was killed or something. Oh, well...how am I going to date three to four guys at one time...I'm going to have to get my schedule in order.
      I see Keller more like this.....

Woolsey: Dr Keller, this disease will kill INSERT RED SHIRT in hours, what can we do:

Keller internal dialogue Ooh don't the Colonels' trousers fit well today...Ronan looks so manly today, Rodney's so my puppy. ooh did Teyla say something about a party.....Radek's a perv.......
      [/I]
      Woolsey: Dr Keller you look deep in thought, anything?

Keller: Huh - I'm sorry Sir - who the hell's the stiff and why is everyone looking at me? EEK better say something - I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do

Comment

I wrote my therapeutic letter... It didn't work. It just made me more sad than I already was. I am in mourning for the once great show that was Stargate Atlantis.

Spoiler:
        Gender (im)balance in Stargate Atlantis

What is gender (im)balance?

It’s the (im)balance between the female and male genders, in a show, in a group, in a country.

From Joe Mallozzi’s blog (SGA executive producer & writer):
        "Over the hiatus, I pitched out the idea of introducing an all-female team as a means of addressing the male-female imbalance on the show. I would introduce them in an early script and whoever survived the episode could potentially be brought back as a recurring character.”
        Introducing an all-female team as a means to addressing the male-female imbalance… O.o

What. The. Frell?!?

Are you *****ing kidding me?
        (Michael the Lycan said before Selene made him jump out the window – ref. Underworld)

Yes, mr. Mallozzi thinks an all-female team will solve the imbalance of genders currently plaguing the Lantean cast.

They had Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson), but decided she had to go and that Carter (Amanda Tapping) was a far better fit for the suddenly needed-to-be-militarized Atlantis. Of course, writing a ten year old character is far easier than working on a character that’s only three years old and still needs to be given time for character development and evolution.
        They had Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell), yes had, because they have neglected this proud leader of the Athosians so badly they have pushed her in the background and made her an honorary piece of the décor. She is but a shadow of her former self.
        They had great female secondary and recurring characters, such as Kate Heightmeyer (Claire Rankin), Katie Brown (Brenda James), Laura Cadman (Jaime Ray Newman), Perna (Allison Hossack), Sora (Erin Chambers), Miko Kusanagi (Manami Hara), Lindsey Novak (Ellie Harvie), Simpson (Fiona Hogan), Allina (Jana Mitsoula), … and many more throughout the first three seasons. All of them disappeared either into oblivion, were just forgotten or killed for the sake of “realism”.

Potentially strong female characters, all discarded in favor of the bimbo of the week.

There was no gender imbalance. The only imbalance one could notice was the slow take over in the writing which was ever so slightly centering around one or two characters, namely John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) and Rodney McKay (David Hewlett).

Imbalance is created when one starts to ignore or have characters disappear, usually in favor of a storyline or more favorable characters who are usually easier to write for in the minds of the powers that be. Due to some unfortunate changes in the cast line up, the gender imbalance swept across the city of Atlantis faster than the storm from hell from which McKay saved the expedition in season 1 (110/111 – The Storm/The Eye).

To solve the issue of the imbalance, created by TPTB themselves, they decided to come up with an all-female team. How considerate of them. Unfortunately I do not see much of gender balance restored when the all-female team and other newly introduced characters such as Jennifer Keller (Jewel Staite) could be my younger sisters (and I am 27) who chose modeling as their preferred career. In order not to rouse too much suspicion, I guess, they introduce two older, more mature, ladies (Nicole de Boer and Christina Cox), no doubt these are not the ones that will survive whatever happens in the already written and filmed episode ‘Whispers’.

Stargate Atlantis has become the show of bimbo of the week, McKay will save the day, where is Teyla, Ronon grunts and Sheppard tags along. It has lost its family feel, the feel of togetherness it had in the early seasons. None of that was seen in season 4, glimpses maybe but nothing more. Instead we get forced team-moments and more forced touchy-feely moments between the old characters and the new ones.

The gender imbalance, I fear, is only the tip of the iceberg.

Two questions we cannot ignore though…

If TPTB aren’t capable of writing for women like they write for men, how will the all-female team solve their gender imbalance problem?

If they couldn’t get it right the first time, what makes them so confident they will get it right the second time?

Signed,
        Heightmeyer’s Lemming
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I wrote my therapeutic letter... It didn't work. It just made me more sad than I already was. I am in mourning for the once great show that was Stargate Atlantis.

Spoiler:

It’s the (im)balance between the female and male genders, in a show, in a group, in a country.

Introducing an all-female team as a means to addressing the male-female imbalance… O.o

What. The. Frell?!?

(Michael the Lycan said before Selene made him jump out the window – ref. Underworld)

Yes, mr. Mallozzi thinks an all-female team will solve the imbalance of genders currently plaguing the Lantean cast.

They had Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson), but decided she had to go and that Carter (Amanda Tapping) was a far better fit for the suddenly needed-to-be-militarized Atlantis. Of course, writing a ten year old character is far easier than working on a character that’s only three years old and still needs to be given time for character development and evolution.
          They had Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell), yes had, because they have neglected this proud leader of the Athosians so badly they have pushed her in the background and made her an honorary piece of the décor. She is but a shadow of her former self.
          They had great female secondary and recurring characters, such as Kate Heightmeyer (Claire Rankin), Katie Brown (Brenda James), Laura Cadman (Jaime Ray Newman), Perna (Allison Hossack), Sora (Erin Chambers), Miko Kusanagi (Manami Hara), Lindsey Novak (Ellie Harvie), Simpson (Fiona Hogan), Allina (Jana Mitsoula), … and many more throughout the first three seasons. All of them disappeared either into oblivion, were just forgotten or killed for the sake of “realism”.

Potentially strong female characters, all discarded in favor of the bimbo of the week.

There was no gender imbalance. The only imbalance one could notice was the slow take over in the writing which was ever so slightly centering around one or two characters, namely John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) and Rodney McKay (David Hewlett).

Imbalance is created when one starts to ignore or have characters disappear, usually in favor of a storyline or more favorable characters who are usually easier to write for in the minds of the powers that be. Due to some unfortunate changes in the cast line up, the gender imbalance swept across the city of Atlantis faster than the storm from hell from which McKay saved the expedition in season 1 (110/111 – The Storm/The Eye).

To solve the issue of the imbalance, created by TPTB themselves, they decided to come up with an all-female team. How considerate of them. Unfortunately I do not see much of gender balance restored when the all-female team and other newly introduced characters such as Jennifer Keller (Jewel Staite) could be my younger sisters (and I am 27) who chose modeling as their preferred career. In order not to rouse too much suspicion, I guess, they introduce two older, more mature, ladies (Nicole de Boer and Christina Cox), no doubt these are not the ones that will survive whatever happens in the already written and filmed episode ‘Whispers’.

Stargate Atlantis has become the show of bimbo of the week, McKay will save the day, where is Teyla, Ronon grunts and Sheppard tags along. It has lost its family feel, the feel of togetherness it had in the early seasons. None of that was seen in season 4, glimpses maybe but nothing more. Instead we get forced team-moments and more forced touchy-feely moments between the old characters and the new ones.

If TPTB aren’t capable of writing for women like they write for men, how will the all-female team solve their gender imbalance problem?

If they couldn’t get it right the first time, what makes them so confident they will get it right the second time?

Signed,
          Heightmeyer’s Lemming
          Bravo.

it doesn't make me feel better, just reassured that I'm not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Arica12 View Post
            ...just reassured that I'm not alone.
            Most certainly not.

Comment

My viewing experience in scifi is... if you have a love triangle, one of the men (usually two men after one woman) will die in a hideous manner, usually after realizing, well, he ain't gonna get the girl, so then kills the giant crab monster and dies, kills the mutant Martian and dies, and so on and so forth....

Comment

Spoiler:

What. The. Frell?!?

Signed,
                Heightmeyer’s Lemming
                Bravo FH. I wish TPTB would see this, and would think about it. For once.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  My viewing experience in scifi is... if you have a love triangle, one of the men (usually two men after one woman) will die in a hideous manner, usually after realizing, well, he ain't gonna get the girl, so then kills the giant crab monster and dies, kills the mutant Martian and dies, and so on and so forth....
                  Quick delete that post, that will give them ideas!

I don't mind if instead of one of the men dying, Keller sacrifices herself for the sake of Ronon and Rodney's friendship!
                  sigpic

Comment

I see Keller more like this.....

Woolsey: Dr Keller, this disease will kill INSERT RED SHIRT in hours, what can we do:

Keller internal dialogue Ooh don't the Colonels' trousers fit well today...Ronan looks so manly today, Rodney's so my puppy. ooh did Teyla say something about a party.....Radek's a perv.......
                    [/I]
                    Woolsey: Dr Keller you look deep in thought, anything?

Keller: Huh - I'm sorry Sir - who the hell's the stiff and why is everyone looking at me? EEK better say something - I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do
                    That works too.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      I'm afraid they're doing what they did at the end of Season 3, writing themselves up an alley with no exit. Your right how do you retain all three
                      characters on the show, at least one if not all three end up with broken hearts, crushed, rejected etc etc, how do you write a storyline that's believable? One of the three will have to go...sigh, JM's exit storyline anyone?

Comment

Spoiler:

What. The. Frell?!?

Signed,
                        Heightmeyer’s Lemming
                        STANDS UP AND APPLAUDS FALCON'S EFFORTS!
                        sigpic
                        Signature by Erin87

Comment

There goes the Titanic .

Comment

Isn't it obvious.......Lucius
                            They are made for each other! Both are just as repulsive and Lucius won't need the drug to woo Keller!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                              Bravo FH. I wish TPTB would see this, and would think about it. For once.
                              They would dismiss it, for they would probably feel it doesn't apply to them. Besides I'm too much of a coward to post this anywhere near an official board. I'll be ripped apart by the believers.

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                              STANDS UP AND APPLAUDS FALCON'S EFFORTS!
                              Thanks.

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                              There goes the Titanic .
                              And here comes the iceberg in the shape of a romantic heart...

Comment

And here comes the iceberg in the shape of a romantic heart...
                                It is waiting for quite some time. In my opinion, they cannot go back. No matter what they do, people will not be pleased.

Comment

Working...
                                X