Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. I am thoroughly enjoying their story as they see fit to write it.

While we are at it, lets write to JK Rowling and tell her she has to rewrite the whole last book because the fans wont like it.

If I stopped liking, I'd stop watching, but I would never presume to try and tell a writer how to write his own book.
    : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
    : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      I disagree. Beckett becoming full time caused the problem to begin with. He was in way too many eps. Bringing him back full time won't happen but he will likely be back as a recurring character.
      How was that a problem? Carson was one of the best written characters on the show! He had a fun personality, an ace sense of humour, and was damn good at his job. He was loved by the other characters on the show as well as the audience and I for one loved it each time he went on about his turtles back home. That's realistic and beautiful writing.

They havent done that. Carter has not been written as Weir IMO.
      I've seen every episode of season four that has aired, and in each scene Carter appears it just seems like they got together all of the scripts for SGA, crossed out 'Elizabeth' and crudely put 'Sam' in just above it.
      I disagree. Some stories are similar but not carbon copies.
      They already are doing that. They have not turned this into SG-1.
      They've simply taken the basis for certain SG-1 episodes and inserted things from Atlantis so that it fits in. I find it disturbing that episodes like Doppelganger, Travelers, Missing, Millers Crossing, Harmony, The Real World, Phantoms, Irresistable, Irresponsible, and The Ark could have been just so easily written as SG-1 episodes if they replaced a few names and locations. SGA has potential to be one of the best scifi shows on television, and I for one would like to see something in the series that makes it iconic and original - and make it an almost completely seperate entity from SG-1. With a whole different galaxy surrounding Atlantis, why would they wheel in old villains and characters from SG-1 to spice it up when there is simply no need to?

What? I don't see the comparison.
      Michael is no longer written as being a heart-broken and betrayed character, but rather as an apparent evil genius intent on being evil just for the sheer thrill of being evil. Why else would he find an evil underground lab and create an army of giant bugs?

Originally posted by erb View Post
      Carson was poorly utilized, but definitely not given too much screentime as far as I'm concerned. As that is a problem with the writing, you would think the solution would be to be more creative.
      Which is all that I'm asking.

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
      mappalazarou, I understand your frustration and identify.
      I think the spoilers for this season will probably be the deciding factor for me.
      I wasn't sure whether to give season 4 a chance, but the way it turned out,
      if spoilers for season 5 don't bode for considerable change, I'm going to give up on stargate after 11 faithful years
      one or two enjoyable episodes a year isn't enough to keep me going
      The reason I watch is to maybe witness an episode that will make me suddenly think 'Wow, that was actually pretty damn spectacular' like I did when I first saw some particular SG-1 episodes (There But For The Grace Of God, The Fifth Race, Serpents Song, 1969, Legacy, Point of View, Urgo, Crystal Skull, Nemesis, The Other Side, Upgrades, Window of Opportunity, Absolute Power, Meridian, Abyss, Unnatural Selection, etc...).

And no, that wasn't an invite to start writing SGA like SG-1. SG-1 was ace because it was unique and original. That's what I'm hoping Atlantis can be.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
        If I stopped liking, I'd stop watching, but I would never presume to try and tell a writer how to write his own book.
        Hmmm. I think that I have such high-standards for which shows I watch, and have always been hoping for a show with SGA's potential to reach that high peak of television ectasy.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          All I want from the writers next season is..

1.) Carson Beckett back in a recurring role
          2.) A leader that can be more than just a supportive role sorta how Weir was. Carter only filled one of Weir's shoes, imo

3.) Weir returns for a decent amount of eps to continue this very interesting story arc they introduced. Don't make her development go in vain.
          I agree with this. I don't want the story arc to end after just one episode either. Let's have it play out a little, expand what it can do and where it can go and maybe take it away from revolving solely on the ancients and the asurans. Because, in all honesty, the ancients have been done to death and the Asurans are very, very boring (no sense of humour or personality and mad plot for revenge against all humankind = boring element of storytelling).

4.) More Team eps. I want to see the 4-person team together like we used to.
          This I have to disagree with. It just takes us back in the direction of SG-1 and I just really want another new direction for Atlantis to step in.

5.) More Exploration of the pegasus galaxy. Are there more allies and technology out there?
          Isn't that the basis for a stargate show anyway? That story factor I don't mind, but I would like to see more scary and mysterious baddies (unlike the wraith who are just vampires in space who go 'grrr!' at humans for no reason or the asurans...who are just the replicators... ). If they insist on doing stand-alone episodes then they should at least put the time and effort into making thier adversaries as exciting and unpredictable as they can, and actually have us, the audience, worry about our heroes by actually lowering the setting of thier character shields and putting them into some real danger for once. I'd like to see an episode where I'll go '...wait...Shepherd might not actually get out of this one '.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
            I agree with this. I don't want the story arc to end after just one episode either. Let's have it play out a little, expand what it can do and where it can go and maybe take it away from revolving solely on the ancients and the asurans. Because, in all honesty, the ancients have been done to death and the Asurans are very, very boring (no sense of humour or personality and mad plot for revenge against all humankind = boring element of storytelling).

This I have to disagree with. It just takes us back in the direction of SG-1 and I just really want another new direction for Atlantis to step in.

You know, now that I think about it, this is a nice different direction. It is like one week it is Keller and Teyla, then one week it is Sheppard and Mckay, the most recent episode had Sheppard and Ronon. It is kind of interesting they do that. I think SGA has truly become it's own show. The characters have made a big influence in the difference of both Stargates.

Well as per Season 4 overall, great season to me, but Season 3 is still the best. That could change though after the last 5 eps. Season 3 had 3/5 great eps towards the end, imo. Season 4 could easily top that.
            sigpic

Comment

You know, now that I think about it, this is a nice different direction. It is like one week it is Keller and Teyla, then one week it is Sheppard and Mckay, the most recent episode had Sheppard and Ronon. It is kind of interesting they do that. I think SGA has truly become it's own show. The characters have made a big influence in the difference of both Stargates.
              A lot of the characters don't actually bring anything to the show though, take Teyla and Ronan for example. They're written to be two of the most boring individuals in the entire gate-verse. I'm not blaming the actors, I'm blaming the crappy dialogue that they have to act out. Sure, so they've expanded on Teyla by making her pregnant - why did that take four seasons to think up? And sure, Ronan gets a good episode every now and then (I can only actually think of Sateda to be honest), but its not enough.

Ronan's entire planet was culled by the wraith (or destroyed or something), and yet he has no emotions regarding that at all!! He struts around Atlantis pointing his gun at people (no inuendo intended), and thats it. Realistically within the boundaries of gate-verse (accepting that the wraith are actually there), he should be an emotional wreck who constantly mourns the death of his people, friends and family...but he doesn't, and if he does - why the hell is it never shown??

Getting Ronan to ignore the fact that his entire planet was wiped out to add coolness to his character is not good writing. I don't understand why they came up with his backstory is all they do, in every episode he's in, is ignore it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post

Nope, no anti or pro threads allowed in the s5 subforum. All threads are now open for all sides. So you could actually, you know, rebut or discuss Mapp's statements and add something to the dialog. Or you could just make petulant comments that add nothing.
                But........ it rhymed!

Comment

A lot of the characters don't actually bring anything to the show though, take Teyla and Ronan for example. They're written to be two of the most boring individuals in the entire gate-verse. I'm not blaming the actors, I'm blaming the crappy dialogue that they have to act out. Sure, so they've expanded on Teyla by making her pregnant - why did that take four seasons to think up? And sure, Ronan gets a good episode every now and then (I can only actually think of Sateda to be honest), but its not enough.

Ronan's entire planet was culled by the wraith (or destroyed or something), and yet he has no emotions regarding that at all!! He struts around Atlantis pointing his gun at people (no inuendo intended), and thats it. Realistically within the boundaries of gate-verse (accepting that the wraith are actually there), he should be an emotional wreck who constantly mourns the death of his people, friends and family...but he doesn't, and if he does - why the hell is it never shown??

Getting Ronan to ignore the fact that his entire planet was wiped out to add coolness to his character is not good writing. I don't understand why they came up with his backstory is all they do, in every episode he's in, is ignore it.
                  Actually theres at least 300 satedans out there, not including all the new satedans bred over the last 7+ years. As i recall Rhonin reacted to the discovery by getting drunk and tearing up to Teyla....then killing one of them ^.^

Michael is no longer written as being a heart-broken and betrayed character, but rather as an apparent evil genius intent on being evil just for the sheer thrill of being evil. Why else would he find an evil underground lab and create an army of giant bugs?
                  Self defense. The Wraith are out to get him and the humans are out to get him. In the 2nd ep of season 2 he said he had to find his own way apart from both sides. He seems to have made alot of a critter thats more formidable than the wraith, physically anyways. If they are smart and self reproducing they will be worse than the wraith. And of course they will turn on michael eventually, dont they always in these circumstances?
                  Last edited by kymeric; 04 February 2008, 06:28 AM.

Comment

This is so strange to me, mostly because I find this to be one of the best seasons yet. And I have to cross-post something that came up on another thread, which I believe ties in perfectly here (Mods - if this is a no-no, please feel free to remove this )
                    From the other thread:
                    You're right.. .TPTB can't satiafy everbody.... but they don't have to! They had a good show and then they go on changing it.. They tried to satisfy SG-1 fans. Have they gotten anything in return? No. They got sucky ratings and a bunch of angry fans.
                    My response:
                    Funny, I think the show is better than ever. And therein is the entire basis for the post - what you hate, I love. What I dislike, you adore. To satisfy me, they push you away. To make you happy, they leave me cold. C'est la vie - or is it c'est la guerre?
                    So, there you have it: the attitude seems to be that they don't have to satisfy everybody, just me, me, me! I'm the one who should be driving where the show goes!!!!!! Those who don't agree with me that everything is 'orrible can take a flying leap through a spinning spacegate.

I'm NOT saying that everything is perfect! What I am saying is that everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and we ALL have to realize that we as individuals are not the center of the universe.

Even funnier, what most people have posted as the things they absolutely hate and are destroying the show for them are the things that I've quite liked.

I will say I miss Carson, and IMO they could have just dropped his character back to a smaller footprint instead of replacing him, but again, I'm not going to second-guess what happened. Sometimes what is said is not the entire story, and I'm more into giving the benefit of the doubt when things happen that I don't like. There isn't much that would make me quit watching. Heck, I weathered Daniel's disappearance on SG-1, so I could handle just about anything here.

Every season so far has had 3-4 episodes I could have done without. This season has only had 2 so far, and I can't think that the last 5 are going to disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                      Actually theres at least 300 satedans out there, not including all the new satedans bred over the last 7+ years. As i recall Rhonin reacted to the discovery by getting drunk and tearing up to Teyla....then killing one of them ^.^
                      ...That's it? So....your entire homeworld is destroyed along with most of your pals and all of your family, and you get drunk, tear up and kill someone... And its never mentioned again >.>

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Raven56 View Post
                        This is so strange to me, mostly because I find this to be one of the best seasons yet. And I have to cross-post something that came up on another thread, which I believe ties in perfectly here (Mods - if this is a no-no, please feel free to remove this )
                        From the other thread:

My response:
                        So, there you have it: the attitude seems to be that they don't have to satisfy everybody, just me, me, me! I'm the one who should be driving where the show goes!!!!!! Those who don't agree with me that everything is 'orrible can take a flying leap through a spinning spacegate.

I'm NOT saying that everything is perfect! What I am saying is that everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and we ALL have to realize that we as individuals are not the center of the universe.

Even funnier, what most people have posted as the things they absolutely hate and are destroying the show for them are the things that I've quite liked.

I will say I miss Carson, and IMO they could have just dropped his character back to a smaller footprint instead of replacing him, but again, I'm not going to second-guess what happened. Sometimes what is said is not the entire story, and I'm more into giving the benefit of the doubt when things happen that I don't like. There isn't much that would make me quit watching. Heck, I weathered Daniel's disappearance on SG-1, so I could handle just about anything here.

Every season so far has had 3-4 episodes I could have done without. This season has only had 2 so far, and I can't think that the last 5 are going to disappoint.
                        I am curious to see what they'll do to destroy Michael's character this time... Will the giant army of bugs return to aid him in taking over Atlantis?

sigpic

Comment

Hmm I agree about Teyla, but she has had her moments this season like in "Missing" and "Spoils of War". As per Ronon, I disagree? Did you see the episode "Sateda" or "Reunion"? Some very powerful eps in my opinion. I don't know I think people want more in character development or they are looking for something different. I think the character development has been great, with the exception of Teyla, but she is starting to come around.

I think the SGA characters can be more dynamic than the SG-1 characters.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmm I agree about Teyla, but she has had her moments this season like in "Missing" and "Spoils of War". As per Ronon, I disagree? Did you see the episode "Sateda" or "Reunion"? Some very powerful eps in my opinion. I don't know I think people want more in character development or they are looking for something different. I think the character development has been great, with the exception of Teyla, but she is starting to come around.
                            Completely agree. Ronon has been given some of the best moments of any character in the series. At the minute the only underused characters are Teyla and Carter.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think the SGA characters can be more dynamic than the SG-1 characters.
                              I mentioned Sateda as being probably the only episode which hints that Ronan may be a tiny bit upset about the death of his people, but Reunion was one of the worst episodes of stargate I have ever seen. To have a group of Ronan's people come back only to work with the wraith was a terrible and predictable story idea, and it didn't work because taking a character who already has personality and sense of humour issues and giving him his own episode without developing them even a tiny bit was a bad choice tptb made.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                                Completely agree. Ronon has been given some of the best moments of any character in the series.
                                When?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X