This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
    And then TPTB changed that because the fans wanted to see them work together - not be at each others throat all the time. (If someone has the link to the article/story that was in, please post it. I know I saw it in some article).
    And that changes the fact she had zero military command over him.... how?
    She was still a civilian and she was still just as toothless and Woolsey is by the definition of rank.

Comment

And then TPTB changed that because the fans wanted to see them work together - not be at each others throat all the time. (If someone has the link to the article/story that was in, please post it. I know I saw it in some article).
      Obviously, that proved not to work in their advantage so they change it up where now she's basically his enemy.

In any event, most of the time confrontation is better and it brings in energy with different personalities. I personally don't like it when people seem to be singing "kumbaya"---hence the reason I like a bit of anamosity and resentment between friends. It's human and realistic. To see a lap dog as I saw John most of the time in S2 an S3 to Weir's whim was a bit disappointing.

This wasn't only Weir...I liked Trinity because I saw a bit of complexity in the McKay/Shep relationship that went beyond just friends annoyed with one another. I liked the same in the budding friendship or Ronon and Teyla in the same ep. I liked to see that between Ronon and Shep in Reunion. It keeps things interesting and fresh, and normal.

That being said, Woolsey would be a defribilating affect in some ways to Shep, McKay, and Ronon---that I knew would not have happened with Carter. She just matched the cast too well, although I like her as leader.
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
        And that changes the fact she had zero military command over him.... how?
        She was still a civilian and she was still just as toothless and Woolsey is by the definition of rank.
        It doesn't change the fact. All it shows is that they are going back to what they first started out with. And in that case, they could've just kept Weir.

Comment

She didn't outrank him(and neither does Woolsey), but both of them HAVE commandover him as leaders of the entire expedition. John is in charge of the military personnel, but he still answers to the leader of the expedition. It's NOT a toothless command.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
            This wasn't only Weir...I liked Trinity because I saw a bit of complexity in the McKay/Shep relationship that went beyond just friends annoyed with one another. I liked the same in the budding friendship or Ronon and Teyla in the same ep. I liked to see that between Ronon and Shep in Reunion. It keeps things interesting and fresh, and normal.

That being said, Woolsey would be a defribilating affect in some ways to Shep, McKay, and Ronon---that I knew would not have happened with Carter. She just matched the cast too well, although I like her as leader.
            Agreed. And especially the bolded part. All they could do with her was put her into conflict with the other military people (Ellis, for example) with Sheppard at her side. I like that they have someone Sheppard can go off on again. I liked it when he was a rebel, and now with the maturity he's gained as military leader, he should have some pretty good fireworks stored up.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
              She didn't outrank him(and neither does Woolsey), but both of them HAVE commandover him as leaders of the entire expedition. John is in charge of the military personnel, but he still answers to the leader of the expedition. It's NOT a toothless command.
              Unless of course military intervention is needed and there are no other higher ranking military officials around...then John outranks Weir or any other civilian leader. Which was seen and established in "Hot Zone" and "Irresistable", I believe, possibly a few others.

Originally posted by Raven56 View Post
              Agreed. And especially the bolded part. All they could do with her was put her into conflict with the other military people (Ellis, for example) with Sheppard at her side. I like that they have someone Sheppard can go off on again. I liked it when he was a rebel, and now with the maturity he's gained as military leader, he should have some pretty good fireworks stored up.
              Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad9 View Post
                Oh, you mean like Weir's command?
                What rank did she have again? Oh right, CIVILIAN.

Shep did not respect her at ALL early first season, and he made sure she knew it. Disobeyed orders and everything.
                Come on, how often did he disobey her orders? Hot Zone, that's it. Once, more than three years ago. Wow.

Besides, outside of a few disagreements, TPTB have portrayed the relationship between Shep and Weir as respectful, which is, IMO, the major reason why Shep didn't outright disobey her more often when he disagreed. How much respect do you think Shep and co. have for Woolsey?

If you think Weir was toothless, Woolsey is even more so.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                  Come on, how often did he disobey her orders? Hot Zone, that's it. Once, more than three years ago. Wow.

Besides, outside of a few disagreements, TPTB have portrayed the relationship between Shep and Weir as respectful, which is, IMO, the major reason why Shep didn't outright disobey her more often when he disagreed. How much respect do you think Shep and co. have for Woolsey?

If you think Weir was toothless, Woolsey is even more so.
                  Uh, no, I don't think Weir was toothless. I never did.
                  I was pointing out the fact that Woolsey is starting in the exact same spot Weir started, and that it's stupid to pretend that isn't true.

Comment

Unless of course military intervention is needed and there are no other higher ranking military officials around...then John outranks Weir or any other civilian leader. Which was seen and established in "Hot Zone" and "Irresistable", I believe, possibly a few others.

Agreed.
                    He disobeyed orders in Hot Zone. He SHOULD have faced consequences for that. In the case of an attack on the city, he would organize the defense and so on, but in an offensive, he'd still need the leader's approval, as he's using the city's resources. It's only when the orders come from high above and the military takes over that the commander gets overlooked(First Strike, for example)

Comment

It doesn't change the fact. All it shows is that they are going back to what they first started out with. And in that case, they could've just kept Weir.
                      Except Weir didn't work. I think Woolsey can.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        it's like putting vala in command of the SGC. or maybourne
                        Vala will always be a crook/scam artist to me. I don’t think I will ever warm up to her. As I remember, Maybourne was on the shady side of acquiring and using alien tech.

I don’t remember that much about Woolsey in SG1, but I thought he saw the error of his ways, switched sides and handed over the info, pretty early on. After that hasn’t he been pretty similar to his portrayal in SGA? Or was he one of the bad guys for several episodes? If so, I guess that might put him in a class with Vala and Maybourne.

Woolsey’s been annoying, as intended, in SGA, but never bad.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
                          Vala will always be a crook/scam artist to me. I don’t think I will ever warm up to her. As I remember, Maybourne was on the shady side of acquiring and using alien tech.

I don’t remember that much about Woolsey in SG1, but I thought he saw the error of his ways, switched sides and handed over the info, pretty early on. After that hasn’t he been pretty similar to his portrayal in SGA? Or was he one of the bad guys for several episodes? If so, I guess that might put him in a class with Vala and Maybourne.

Agreed. Except for the Vala part.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post

No, Woolsey's never been bad. Annoying and always with a stick up his ass, but never bad. He DID want to put Daniel in ice OR beam him into space if he refused, but that was only because Danny boy was a Prior. Like I said, always annoyingly "by the book", but never bad.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                              He disobeyed orders in Hot Zone. He SHOULD have faced consequences for that. In the case of an attack on the city, he would organize the defense and so on, but in an offensive, he'd still need the leader's approval, as he's using the city's resources. It's only when the orders come from high above and the military takes over that the commander gets overlooked(First Strike, for example)
                              Understood and agreed. However, he did have a right to take control of the situation since the infected Dr. was a direct threat to Atlantis and there was nothing being done to negate that threat. Weir's decisions and by locking John in the room helped to instigate the problem.

At that point John would have to take control...if he did not take control of the situation the threat would have gotten as far as to where Weir was and in that stage basically everyone would die except for those with the ATA gene.

All in all, as I said previously...I'm in it for the various deathmatches that will be on screen...it's Woolsey against everyone. I say screw the SGA ex vs. Various enemies.

Comment

Understood and agreed. However, he did have a right to take control of the situation since the infected Dr. was a direct threat to Atlantis and there was nothing being done to negate that threat. Weir's decisions and by locking John in the room helped to instigate the problem.

At that point John would have to take control...if he did not take control of the situation the threat would have gotten as far as to where Weir was and in that stage basically everyone would die except for those with the ATA gene.

All in all, as I said previously...I'm in it for the various deathmatches that will be on screen...it's Woolsey against everyone. I say screw the SGA ex vs. Various enemies.
                                Agreed, but it was still disobeying orders. The point remains that he HAS to obey the expedition commander. Whether Woolsey's way of enforcing his command is to go crying to the IOA remains to be seen. But it is not a toothless command. In fact, I think Woolsey is in a far better postion to hurt John(well, his career) than Weir or Carter. Weir got along well with him and Carter, as fellow military officer(especially with her background), understood him very well. Woolsey, on the other hand, direct representitive of the IOA, without the relationships I mentioned between Weir, Carter and John, could very well make life VERY hard for John.

Comment

Working...
                                X