Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carson and Keller in season 5. Can it work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be very unusual for someone Dr. Keller's age to be CMO and therefore a superior to someone of Dr. Beckett's age, considering he's got to be a real star or he wouldn't be out there. Even with her by herself, we can barely believe she's CMO (some of us can't, but that's a debate for another day). And while it's true Dr. Frasier called in a surgeon from time to time, that was with the Academy Hospital right up the street. So I can't see Keller being in charge and having Beckett come in for certain procedures or to deal with his area of expertise, unless we just accept he's around Atlantis somewhere.

In fact, if he did return as CMO, and Keller were still there, that would be great and would solve a lot of problems. I agree that Atlantis needs two doctors- no one can be a good surgeon and a good internal medicine doctor, too.

BTW- how many people live in Atlantis?

Comment

If you think about SG-1/SGA really had 5 main characters for the most part. This changed in Season 2 and 3 of SGA and Season 10 of SG-1. There was 6 main characters in these seasons. Sometimes too many full-time characters are overwhelming. Even if you are the best writer in the whole world some characters are going to lose focus or fall into the background. Carson was full-time in Season 3 and yet he was not even in every single episode. However, Weir was in every single episode. Did she need to be? Hell no. Eps like "The Ark" and "The Game" and even "Irresponsible" truly did not need Weir or even Beckett for the most part. I think this season of SGA has proven you don't need to have every single character in every single episode. Even Carter who is Full-time has 14/20 eps this season. I could see this direction continue for Season 5.

Getting to my point, LOL! As per Carson and Keller, would it hurt to split up a recurring role between Carson and Keller? I think it would be a great idea. Recurring is not a bad thing and SGA has given their recurring characters depth and a chance in the spotlight.

Anyway when I watch old eps of SG-1 and SGA the focus was the 4 person team. Everyone basically was there for support. SGA was always different, the characters like Weir( relates to Hammond/Landry), Carson and Keller( releates to Frasier and Lam) had more of a role in SGA, and not just support. They even had episodes focused on them. I cannot even think of multiple eps that were focused on someone like Hammond or even Dr. Frasier. I think that is what makes SGA so different from SG-1, the characters and their direction. Yes we see similar influenced stories but the characters are what makes this show stand on it's own. I think it will be great to try out these two characters for next season. Give them each a focused ep or two next season. Should be very interesting how it plays out.
      sigpic

Comment

I absolutely think it could work. There is no reason why they both can't be recurring characters. Atlantis is big enough for two doctors, they both can focus in their own specialties, and work together where needed. I was watching "First Strike" today and noted Keller mentioning something about going back to being a "regular doctor" (or something along those lines). So... why not give her that position in Atlantis, with Beckett as CMO. I actually think that could work very well.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Keller is pretty until she opens her mouth and you realize how incompetent she is, then I don't like her at all.

I'd rather Carson return and Keller go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
            If you think about SG-1/SGA really had 5 main characters for the most part. This changed in Season 2 and 3 of SGA and Season 10 of SG-1. There was 6 main characters in these seasons. Sometimes too many full-time characters are overwhelming. Even if you are the best writer in the whole world some characters are going to lose focus or fall into the background. Carson was full-time in Season 3 and yet he was not even in every single episode. However, Weir was in every single episode. Did she need to be? Hell no. Eps like "The Ark" and "The Game" and even "Irresponsible" truly did not need Weir or even Beckett for the most part. I think this season of SGA has proven you don't need to have every single character in every single episode. Even Carter who is Full-time has 14/20 eps this season. I could see this direction continue for Season 5.

Getting to my point, LOL! As per Carson and Keller, would it hurt to split up a recurring role between Carson and Keller? I think it would be a great idea. Recurring is not a bad thing and SGA has given their recurring characters depth and a chance in the spotlight.

Anyway when I watch old eps of SG-1 and SGA the focus was the 4 person team. Everyone basically was there for support. SGA was always different, the characters like Weir( relates to Hammond/Landry), Carson and Keller( releates to Frasier and Lam) had more of a role in SGA, and not just support. They even had episodes focused on them. I cannot even think of multiple eps that were focused on someone like Hammond or even Dr. Frasier. I think that is what makes SGA so different from SG-1, the characters and their direction. Yes we see similar influenced stories but the characters are what makes this show stand on it's own. I think it will be great to try out these two characters for next season. Give them each a focused ep or two next season. Should be very interesting how it plays out.
            I don't. We know from past experience that it's just not practical having a doctor to write into every episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
              I agree, let Carson come back but keep Keller. Rodney has Zelenka, why can't there be two doctors?
              I fully agree with you; it would be no problem with two doctors (until authority gets in the picture)...

But two CMO's would be a bit weird. Still, having Carson and Keller wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
              ~ Proud thunker of Carson Beckett ~

Carson.........................Rodney .......................Teyla........................... John

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
                It would be very unusual for someone Dr. Keller's age to be CMO and therefore a superior to someone of Dr. Beckett's age, considering he's got to be a real star or he wouldn't be out there. Even with her by herself, we can barely believe she's CMO (some of us can't, but that's a debate for another day). And while it's true Dr. Frasier called in a surgeon from time to time, that was with the Academy Hospital right up the street. So I can't see Keller being in charge and having Beckett come in for certain procedures or to deal with his area of expertise, unless we just accept he's around Atlantis somewhere.

In fact, if he did return as CMO, and Keller were still there, that would be great and would solve a lot of problems. I agree that Atlantis needs two doctors- no one can be a good surgeon and a good internal medicine doctor, too.

BTW- how many people live in Atlantis?
                I don't see it. Keller is young but she sure has proven (at least to me) that she can indeed do the job. SO I can see her remaining as CMO and Carson helping out as needed.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I think the two could work together, but i wouldnt want either of them in an ep just for the sake of it. i also havent seen them on screen together so i dont know what there chemistry is like.

it will also depend on how carson is reintroduced this season, i havent been spoilered yet, but i would think that it will determine wether carson could reprise his role as cmo maybe with keller as his second.

also has anyone confirmed wether its full time reccuring etc for jewell for season 5 as that would be a helpful indicator.

i think it would be a bad thing to make either of them full time cast members as i dont think you need a doctor in every ep.
                  sigpic
                  banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                    I think the two could work together, but i wouldnt want either of them in an ep just for the sake of it. i also havent seen them on screen together so i dont know what there chemistry is like.
                    Exactly we'll see in Kindred.

it will also depend on how carson is reintroduced this season, i havent been spoilered yet, but i would think that it will determine wether carson could reprise his role as cmo maybe with keller as his second.
                    Truthfully even the spoilers havent told us much anyway.

also has anyone confirmed wether its full time reccuring etc for jewell for season 5 as that would be a helpful indicator.
                    No one knows but most likely just recurring.

i think it would be a bad thing to make either of them full time cast members as i dont think you need a doctor in every ep.
                    Agreed.

Comment

I'll tentatively look forward to the Kindred then.

i hope the two interact well during that ep, as if the chemistry isnt great or the way Carson is introduced is well blahh. it could damage both charcters and there potential roles in season 5.

i guess its a wait and see game
                      sigpic
                      banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                        I fully agree with you; it would be no problem with two doctors (until authority gets in the picture)...

But two CMO's would be a bit weird. Still, having Carson and Keller wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
                        No it wouldn't.

Comment

I thought Keller was in too many eps in the first half of Season 4. I thought Carson was forced into eps in S3 to fulfill his contract. I think Carson brings a great dynamic to Atlantis and is the less absurdly young of the two.

I wouldn't mind 10 Beckett eps. and 5 Keller eps. in S5 (with some crossovers).

But personally, I think that Caldwell and Ellis actually add dimension to storylines while Carson just adds cast chemistry, and Keller just adds a pretty face.
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

There aren't enough stories for two doctors. Bring back Carson and dump Keller. She doesn't look old enough to have graduated high school, and she doesn't come across as all that brainy.

Comment

I like Keller a lot, I hate bringing Beckett back from the dead but I also think two doctors can work on the show, but it does come down to how much fans actually think screen time matters.

I do think fans assume when tptb say he/she/it will be in 7 eps, that the character will be in those eps a lot... the reality is in total they could still only end up with half an hour of actual screen time for the whole season.

So as long as fans keep that in mind this could work. Keller in 5-10 eps Beckett in 5-10 eps... also as Jewel and Paul are friends they probably do have some on screen chemistry, I think if Carson is back to normal (not in itty bitty pieces ) that his "mothering" side would probably come out towards Keller. It is still a little unclear as to how long Keller was there with Beckett... also I assume Beckett chose her to come to Atlantis, that she wasn't foisted on him. Really I see little problems between the two doctors working together.

For me it still comes back to how they bring Carson back, not whether he and Keller can work together.

Comment

Originally posted by Landers View Post
                                There aren't enough stories for two doctors. Bring back Carson and dump Keller. She doesn't look old enough to have graduated high school, and she doesn't come across as all that brainy.
                                I disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X