Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carson and Keller in season 5. Can it work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    I disagree.
    Same here. Both are returning in a recurring role, and it should be very interesting.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    I like Keller a lot, I hate bringing Beckett back from the dead but I also think two doctors can work on the show, but it does come down to how much fans actually think screen time matters.

I do think fans assume when tptb say he/she/it will be in 7 eps, that the character will be in those eps a lot... the reality is in total they could still only end up with half an hour of actual screen time for the whole season.

So as long as fans keep that in mind this could work. Keller in 5-10 eps Beckett in 5-10 eps... also as Jewel and Paul are friends they probably do have some on screen chemistry, I think if Carson is back to normal (not in itty bitty pieces ) that his "mothering" side would probably come out towards Keller. It is still a little unclear as to how long Keller was there with Beckett... also I assume Beckett chose her to come to Atlantis, that she wasn't foisted on him. Really I see little problems between the two doctors working together.

For me it still comes back to how they bring Carson back, not whether he and Keller can work together.

Well who said he died? I think it will be very interesting how they bring him back. A lot has been riding on this return. So much support for his return for them to do a half-ass job of brining him back. I think the 2 Doctors will be great.

Also, remember Carson is also a scientist and works with Genetics and DNA, and etc. Keller is just a medical doctor.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Also, remember Carson is also a scientist and works with Genetics and DNA, and etc. Keller is just a medical doctor.
      I think they could both work, especially to the point given above--Carson split his time doing genetic research/xenoresearch and being a medical doctor, too. He wasn't just an ER doc. I could see this being the case for both of them. Researchers, as well as there for times of crisis. Having them go off-world to check on a populace, one bringing back the results for the other to check, sharing a scene or two every other episodes--to me that would seem perfectly normal.

As Atlantis is a city, it's feasible to believe they could have a large medical staff/genetic research department. Carson could be offworld one episodes, Keller another.

But I do think that on Atlantis, group character interaction is necessary. I haven't liked these 'split apart' episodes where one or two actors dominate the whole story. Atlantis is a central character too, and I prefer the episodes where everyone appears and works together.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Beckett/Keller FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          I think they could both work, especially to the point given above--Carson split his time doing genetic research/xenoresearch and being a medical doctor, too. He wasn't just an ER doc. I could see this being the case for both of them. Researchers, as well as there for times of crisis. Having them go off-world to check on a populace, one bringing back the results for the other to check, sharing a scene or two every other episodes--to me that would seem perfectly normal.

As Atlantis is a city, it's feasible to believe they could have a large medical staff/genetic research department. Carson could be offworld one episodes, Keller another.

But I do think that on Atlantis, group character interaction is necessary. I haven't liked these 'split apart' episodes where one or two actors dominate the whole story. Atlantis is a central character too, and I prefer the episodes where everyone appears and works together.
          Yup! Carson also has a very good relationship with the characters. So he'll be hanging out, doing his thing. It just makes SGA feel so much warmer with him still being around and in a lot of eps.
          sigpic

Comment

I think it could work... I believe in another thread somewhere in this mass someone suggested that Carson could come back as head genetic researcher, which given his work on the Wraith retrovirus would make sense. Keller can keep doing the mundane things like patching Ronon and Shep up while Carson continues his research. Periodically, we could have some big ole crisis that has them work together.

At the end of the day, though, the producers have to keep in mind that the cast, above all else is a numbers game. I believe 7 is the absolute limit before characters start suffering and even then, some end up as quasi-useless (See Star Trek for examples). So, it's like anything else: some people are going to have to get cut. Since Shep, Teyla, Ronon and Rodney aren't going to be among the cuts, that leaves 3 spots. Minus one for the new commander, you have two left and there are a lot of permanent extras floating around Atlantis already. Forcing a giant cast together like that could turn out very badly.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't see a need for two doctors. I'd keep Beckett and send Keller back home. She isn't cut out for the job and it shows. Frankly, she irritates the heck outta me.

Comment

Well who said he died?
                Well if you don't count an exploding tumour, a funeral and the bucket load of tears I shed over Sunday... well sure. But that is what I mean if Sunday turns out to make me feel like I was used then I won't be happy to see Carson.

Comment

Well if you don't count an exploding tumour, a funeral and the bucket load of tears I shed over Sunday... well sure. But that is what I mean if Sunday turns out to make me feel like I was used then I won't be happy to see Carson.
                  I hear where you are coming from. Sunday was a good episode even though the end was well sad. But, if the return of Carson is done very well then you can look at Sunday as just a summary episode of what Carson was all about.
                  sigpic

Comment

I hear where you are coming from. Sunday was a good episode even though the end was well sad. But, if the return of Carson is done very well then you can look at Sunday as just a summary episode of what Carson was all about.
                    Oh you are just Mr half glass full aren't you.

Comment

Oh you are just Mr half glass full aren't you.
                      Yes, what can I say. I think Carson is going to be a great return and a ray of light for S5!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                        I don't see a need for two doctors. I'd keep Beckett and send Keller back home. She isn't cut out for the job and it shows. Frankly, she irritates the heck outta me.
                        For me she has shown she can do the job so it'll be interesting to see how they can integrate the two characters.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

For me she has shown she can do the job so it'll be interesting to see how they can integrate the two characters.
                          I am glad we are getting both of them back next season. They should split up their role and half of those eps have both of them in there. I can see so much potential with Carson and Keller on board.

We will hopefully get a taste of these two together in "The Kindred".
                          sigpic

Comment

I am glad we are getting both of them back next season. They should split up their role and half of those eps have both of them in there. I can see so much potential with Carson and Keller on board.

We will hopefully get a taste of these two together in "The Kindred".
                            Agreed. She is in The Kindred isn't she?
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

yes she is -> The Kindred Part 1; The Kindred Part 2
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Yup, she's in both part 1 and part 2.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Working...
                                X