X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
    this episode was kind of depressing

the Pegasus galaxy was so much better off before the Atlantis team got there
    Well, I wouldn't go that far...Sure, they do tend to screw things up, but we all know they're gonna save the day in the end...
    Unless the series finale has this sort of thing happening again. Only this time, for good.

Comment

11 pages already? Wow you lot are a chatty bunch today. So this review might be a bit different to my normal reviews as i've just watched it.

So here goes, bear with me while I ramble (probably excessantly).

One of my favourite films of all times is called 'It's a Wonderful Life'. It takes the viewer on a ride, and shows us the impact of one man's life on his friends, family, the future and how inturn the difference that one person makes. So, I was surprised to find myself making a comparison with 'The Last Man' and the film I absolutely adored and have watched probably over 40 times.

So, was I engrossed with this eppy, the big finale as much as a film i'd seen so frequently? Mmmmm i'm going to have to go with 'no' on that one. The episode is very different from what we're used to, and I have to say i'm not a lover of narratives. My personality is very much action orientated or cleverly weaved elements of past story arcs interwoven into the culmination of the finale, and for me it didn't have the OMG it blew me away factor, as some of the other eps in season 4 have had for me, which is a real shame.

While I loved certain elements in this ep, the banter between Shep and Rodney. Shep's expressions at finding out he was on his own and everyone else had died. Both boys (Joe and David) played those parts really well and were exceptionally believable in their portrayal. But did I feel the urgency and the direness of the situation? Was I on the edge of my screen squeeing with delight? To a degree, there were some great moments, but on balance, it just didn't 'do' it for me.

I liked how after Shep disappeared circumstances changed, was that as a result of his disappearance? Very possibility, you don't often realise how much of an impact people make until that life is taken away from you. So, I do think that 'Shep's death/KIA/MIA' however you want to describe it was just the catalyst, the start of things to come.

So while I understand the need to 'tell the story' and 'show' past events. I guess i'm more of a chronological show me kind of person. I want and need to see the reactions of people, what that loss brought. When Shep 'died' what was the impact, how did his 'passing' change people, and change their destiny/future. Likewise with Teyla, Sam, Ronon. We saw that impact to a degree on Rodney, his passion, his not giving up, his willingness to go against the odds no matter what the personal costs to him, which was enderaing, but I needed to see that with the others. I know there's a time limit and everything, but still it just didn't work for me.

It was interested in seeing Ronon and Todd working together, and I got the impression that Ronon loved the fact that if he was going to die, he wasn't going alone and was more than happy to take the wraith with him!

I loved Michael going all evil, and no mercy sort of killing! But again for me, it was proably too much of a leap from what we had seen in Kindred.

As for Sam.... I got the impression that she knew this would be her last trip, and good for her for standing up to the IOA, and kicking ass!

As for Keller.... well surprisingly, I actully quite liked her in this! The smooching, hmmm, well still not convinced.

Hidden in spoilers to avoid controversy
      Spoiler:
      Maybe I liked Keller in this timeline she died??!!
      Spoiler:
      Bad Peggy!!!

With complete seriousness, I actually liked the fact that she had the courage to stand up to Woolsey even if it was just a bit. It's a start, and allowed me to see a different side of her, but i'm surprised she quit to be honest.

And surprisingly, I liked Woolsey, he didn't seem as snifflyey or made me feel as if I wanted to slap him upside the head. So I think i'm making progress in accepting Woolsey! GO ME!

As for the ending.... hmmm not sure how to take it to be honest, they're all buried under rubble, hopefully hurt and injured especially sHEP, AS THAT WOULD REALLY MAKE ME SQUEE. aND YES i AM THAT SHALLOW.

Did it have me on the edge of my seat? Surprisingly no... and that upsets me. Did it make me desperate to see Search and Rescue. Well in a way yes, but I don't know, maybe I need to watch it again. It was just the whole thing didn't blow me away as much as I expected. I think maybe I was expecting something completley different to this, so i've got to watch it without expecting what I was expecting? Yes, I know i'm rambling now.

I do like time travel and 'what if' stories, but I think more along the lines of 'It's a wonderful life' type of timeline as opposed to jumping from person to person, time frame to time frame.

But great acting to Joe and David, I did love their banter, and 'snorted' in a very unladylike manner about the hair thing, and the superbowel etc. But not even one tear rolled down my cheek. There should have been hugs! Then i'd have been bawling like a baby and probably would have liked it more because it hit me on a more emotional level. Yes, I am that shallow.

Okay, i'm done. Roll on season 5

Comment

this episode was kind of depressing

the Pegasus galaxy was so much better off before the Atlantis team got there
        it seems to be Atlantis's theme, we mean well but at the end of the day just make things so much worse. Perhaps the IOA in the possible future had the right idea... study Atlantis and defend it if need be.

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
        Well, I wouldn't go that far...Sure, they do tend to screw things up, but we all know they're gonna save the day in the end...
        Unless the series finale has this sort of thing happening again. Only this time, for good.
        But what price will it cost Pegasus? Season 4 has really thinned the number of natives out between the Replicators and the Hoffen drug.
        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
          Very good episode. Very unusual finale. And David with Jewel sold this episode for me. I was sceptical about it but they are really great together! Their scenes were cute and I actually cried when she died. This didn´t happen to me since Before I sleep.
          They were very convincing and their last scene was believeable.

I loved broken Rodney and his determination to save everyone. Especially after Jennifer died. Seriously, what can be more romantic than change the past bc of a beloved woman? Now, I hope they could continue this relationship but as I know tptb, it won´t happen. No kids, please, just nice relationship.
          How Rodney sacrificed his life just to save the others, it was amazing and very similar to what Elizabeth did. But I am sure someone certainly say how selfish and egoistic Rodney is He probably really would have died to convince some people.

And more things could continue. I didn´t miss Teyla at all
          . I wouldn´t mind if she just...disappeared. It was her best performance in an entire season - lying dead on the ground.

I liked Sam as a ship commander. It fits her more because she is still more action person. I hope she will really get a Phoenix in S5 under her command. I liked her cooperation with Rodney, too. I think if they would give her ship command in the first place, then her presence in S4 might have been different and much better.

Woolsey in red uniform, weird and I hope he won´t be like that in S5. It could mean interesting conflicts but when the two last most capable people leave bc of his command, or bc of IOA´s decisions, something obviously isn´t right.

And yay for Lorne to let Rodney do it! Lorne is great! I love Lorne!

I am disappointed that we haven´t seen more Zelenka in this one. He just went in the background and then was mentioned twice. I hate when they are mentioning people and events. I want to see the people and the events. Mentioning isn´t enough for me.

Those are some impressions.
          I guess times of Siege episodes are gone but this was at least different and unsual finale and definitely better than most of S4 episodes.
          I think people are entitled to give their opinion of Rodney just like you continue to give your opinion of Teyla in every post you make. You seem to dish out enough criticizm of other characters especially Teyla but don't like to hear any on your favourite character. But in fact I havn't see anyone complain about Rodney's lack of sacrifice until you pointed it out.. and to me he probably sacrificed more than anyone else becasue he had to live through all their deaths.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
            But what price will it cost Pegasus? Season 4 has really thinned the number of natives out between the Replicators and the Hoffen drug.
            Well, even with all the casualties, if the expedition manages to set things straight within 7 years or so, that's still a win. Consider the fact that, otherwise, the Wraith would have thrived, possibly, for millenia. That's millions of people, maybe even billions, that would have died at their hands(literally, get it? the hand life sucking thingy? Oh, I crack myself up...) over that time. I'd say the price is more than worth it. Unless, of course, like I said, it ends with the expedition abandoning Atlantis and leaving the Pegasus Galaxy deep in...well, you know what...

Comment

Wow that was epic. I liked it very much.

10/10

It was a bit Babylon 5 like. But thats a good thing. For me at least.

My only complaint. The big shot of the city in the sand didn't look so great and it was kind of rushed.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                I think people are entitled to give their opinion of Rodney just like you continue to give your opinion of Teyla in every post you make. You seem to dish out enough criticizm of other characters especially Teyla but don't like to hear any on your favourite character. But in fact I havn't see anyone complain about Rodney's lack of sacrifice until you pointed it out.. and to me he probably sacrificed more than anyone else becasue he had to live through all their deaths.
                Not to mention he spent 25 years of his life working on his hologram and on a way to get Sheppard back, so there was a chance that things could be changed.

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                Well, even with all the casualties, if the expedition manages to set things straight within 7 years or so, that's still a win. Consider the fact that, otherwise, the Wraith would have thrived, possibly, for millenia. That's millions of people, maybe even billions, that would have died at their hands(literally, get it? the hand life sucking thingy? Oh, I crack myself up...) over that time. I'd say the price is more than worth it. Unless, of course, like I said, it ends with the expedition abandoning Atlantis and leaving the Pegasus Galaxy deep in...well, you know what...
                True enough I suppose.
                A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                  I want and need to see the reactions of people, what that loss brought. When Shep 'died' what was the impact, how did his 'passing' change people, and change their destiny/future. Likewise with Teyla, Sam, Ronon. We saw that impact to a degree on Rodney, his passion, his not giving up, his willingness to go against the odds no matter what the personal costs to him, which was enderaing, but I needed to see that with the others. I know there's a time limit and everything, but still it just didn't work for me.
                  That would require emotions... TPTB don't do emotions well...they have no idea what to do with them... They're like Sheppard and emotions, BAD! Besides that would require them to use all of their cast, and they ran out of money cause they spilled it all on bad CG or overdone CG.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
                    Why did JM hype up the "last frame of the episode will have audiences in an uproar!!!" thing? It was basically the same "last frame" as dozens of other episodes. Because of his hyping, the whole time I was wondering what crazy ending they might have had in store, and it was that.

Another fine PR job by TPTB.
                    Ah yes, the actual quote was "with a final shot that will have fandom buzzing from final fade to the opening shot of season five." I'm not really sure what the buzzing would be about, seeing as there's no way that Shep, Ronon, or Lorne are going to die in the building. Redshirts sure, but since when did fandom get all abuzz about redshirts? And there's no way that they're going to find Teyla dead, either. So yeah, overhyped.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      First notice, I shouldn't have watched this after an excellent Dr. Who episode (Blink)... that was a mistake.
                      TPTB of SGA should watch that episode to learn how you can make something so creepy with NO special effects.

I loved the Ronan and Todd part of Last Man. That was my favorite - two enemies dying together. And the General Lorne part was fantastic! If TPTB are still working on another SG1 spinoff, I nominate Lorne for a reg on that show!

Mostly I just "liked" this episode. Too much talky about nothing, and instead of the very poor CG1 building in the end, I would have preferred to see Shep come out of stasis and have a tricky time getting the gate going again - end the episode with him coming back to Atlantis all dirty and suffering dehydration. It would have been a better ending.

Woolsey and his uniform need to stay far, far away.

Still don't see why boring Keller is getting so many scenes. She has had more screen time this season then Teyla has had in four years. Tsk, tsk.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                        I'm not completely sure, but that Queen didn't look like she was played by Andee Frizell.

Anyone got a name? For a second I kinda thought they put Keller in Wraith makeup.
                        it was her wraith voice so it might have been her
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I thought the ep was great!!

We got to see a lot of "what ifs" ya know what if Michael succeeded, what if Teyla didn't make it.....I thought it was great how they showed us how important one particular person and event is to the future and also what exactly is at stake for them to stop Michael and rescue Teyla.

Thank God it wasn't a series finale!!

I think this ep was the ep where part of JM's poem about McKay comes to fruition "the death of a loved one, spurs McKay into action" IMO anyway. You could take this two ways: the death of Sheppard or the death of Keller is what convinces McKay that he needs to change the timeline and make things right.
                          Sigs made by EG & Teylafan
                          &=AWESOME &Forever
                          No SGA fics yet....but ya never know

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                            I guess you are right. I spoke about fan reactions to Rodney generally, not just in this episode.
                            But I will stop writing about Teyla in every post. I know it might be offensive to the actress bc from most part, it´s not her fault how they write her.
                            But to write it the way I did, was very rude and harsh so I am sorry.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I find it pretty ridiculous that the wraith went down so easily.

a race like that should have found a way to survive

and certainly not fall by the hand of a rogue hybrid with a bunch of drones

and another thing
                              now we know that no matter what happens, the IOA is gonna screw Earth up
                              25 years into the future, Earth didn't seem like a nice place to live in
                              and the stargate program didn't change a thing for the average Earthling

Comment

I find it pretty ridiculous that the wraith went down so easily.

a race like that should have found a way to survive

and certainly not fall by the hand of a rogue hybrid with a bunch of drones

and another thing
                                now we know that no matter what happens, the IOA is gonna screw Earth up
                                25 years into the future, Earth didn't seem like a nice place to live in
                                and the stargate program didn't change a thing for the average Earthling
                                I'm not quite sure what you mean that the Wraith went 'down' so easily, you mean when Sam crashed the Phoenix into them, or by some other means. We didn't actually see 'many' wraith in this ep, so to imply that they've been wiped out, I wouldn't say is accurate. We only saw a snippet of the wraith, mostly it involved Michael and his drones, joining in with his cause. I think that was the 'start' of things, we haven't seen the full effect, that probably comes in S5 possibly in Search and Rescue.

Remember we sawa brief snippet of how things were 25 years into the future, I don't remember Michael or anyone saying that the wraith had been wiped out?

I don't think it was made clear either was it why Earth wasn't doing too well, was it because of the Stargate, the Ori, the Wraith infiltrating Earth, too many resources being deployed elsewhere? I think maybe that's why i'm still struggling with this ep, i've too many unanswered questions.... I never really grew out of the 'why' phase as a child.

Comment

Working...
                                X