No announcement yet.

What is wrong with these people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, isn't this the whole beauty of Stargate?

These people act in exactly the same way we would act. I mean, how would you feel if your best friend died, and two years later, you find a clone of him?

Would you just be all cool with it?
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Carter was the only one acting appropriately. Atlantis is effectively a military base at this point. Its security is crucial in many, many regards. It was actually extremely sloppy of them to allow the clone to leave his "cell" at all, or even keep him on Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
        Carter was the only one acting appropriately. Atlantis is effectively a military base at this point. Its security is crucial in many, many regards. It was actually extremely sloppy of them to allow the clone to leave his "cell" at all, or even keep him on Atlantis.
        he is a exact image of carson though they all have feeling towards him and he was under constant guard at all times
        sigpic
        [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

Hmm do I think being suspicious of the clone your enemy made and keeping him under guard is wrong? No I do not, it's called being smart and cautious. In that instance suspician is called for. He could have been a programmed enemy agent, and to not be wary of him would be not only stupid but negligent.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Lighten up, people. The writers could not have brought us the real Carson without the whole situation seeming incredibly contrived, much more so than it is now. Obviously they wrote themselves into a dead-end given the very blatant death that they gave him, so Clone Carson is the best they could do to bring him back in any plausible way, and it's what we have to, as always when it comes to Stargate, simply accept the loophole. We wanted Carson back; now we have him and with the added bonus of a potential story arc, so let's just move on.

Comment

Originally posted by desh View Post
              We wanted Carson back; now we have him and with the added bonus of a potential story arc, so let's just move on.
              Actually, it's pretty clear that a lot of people didn't want Carson back, which doesn't, incidentally, mean that they didn't like the character.

As for the question of trust, the SGC - and specifically Carter - trusted Replicarter and got burned, badly. Their experience is against trusting someone just because they look like someone you know.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                The weakest part of this whole episode, and there were oodles of weak parts, was Rodney's blind acceptance of Carson as Carson. That goes against all we know about Rodney and it made me wonder if tptb even cared about that, I think they just wanted to get this out of the way... have Carson back and have us as an audience just shrug off any of these little inconsistencies in characters.

I say little but really it is a huge fraking inconsistency for McKay.
                I think hes a socially awkward nerd whos best friends back from the dead. Im suprised he didnt run over and hug him 2bhonest. My dead friend comes back and u can be darn sure ill be beside myself with happyness even knowing hes prolly a bioweapon or a evil machiavellian scheme, its my bro u kno?

Comment

Clones are people too!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    Clones are people too!
                    They are but Clone Carson is still not the original Carson. For one thing is that the memory's that the clone has of Carson's parents are not real. Clone Carson also has no parents.

I still believe that he is important but the Atlantis expedition was right to be suspicious of him. For all we know Clone Carson wanted to be good but he was really a sleeper agent (look it up on the wiki) in which Micheal could control him with his mind or give him a special order at the right time to kill the Atlantis expedition (like brainwashing).

Comment

Carson is a freak! If I wasn't an atheist I would call him an insult to God. But as I am an atheist I will just go with freak.
                      What about the Asgard? They cloned new bodies and moved their consciousnesses into them when their old bodies died. How did this work? Was there some immaterial aspect of them which literally changed bodies or did the new body get a copy of the 'consciousness information'? Seeing as everything in the Stargate universe seems to have a materialistic explanation, it was likely that 'consciousness information' was copied into the new body's brain. If so, were they freaks as well?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                        What about the Asgard? They cloned new bodies and moved their consciousnesses into them when their old bodies died. How did this work? Was there some immaterial aspect of them which literally changed bodies or did the new body get a copy of the 'consciousness information'? Seeing as everything in the Stargate universe seems to have a materialistic explanation, it was likely that 'consciousness information' was copied into the new body's brain. If so, were they freaks as well?
                        Yep, freaks every last one of them!

Comment

Yep, freaks every last one of them!
                          This topic is touching on real life philosophical issues related to the transhumanists' dream of copying oneself into a computer. The following article is a good example -

http://futurefire.net/2005.03/nonfic...ciousness.html

If the transhumanists have their way we'll all be freaks. Or the copies of ourselves will be freaks because they won't be us. Or whatever.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                            This topic is touching on real life philosophical issues related to the transhumanists' dream of copying oneself into a computer. The following article is a good example -

http://futurefire.net/2005.03/nonfic...ciousness.html

If the transhumanists have their way we'll all be freaks. Or the copies of ourselves will be freaks because they won't be us. Or whatever.
                            Are these the same peeps who want to build robots they can have sex with? Freaks!

Comment

Are these the same peeps who want to build robots they can have sex with? Freaks!
                              No. They would like to be uploaded into robot bodies or computers. A lot of them probably still want sex, though, even if it's only the virtual reality sort. If such a thing is possible and 99% of the population gets uploaded in the future, the ones who don't want to be copied would probably be regarded as freaks.

The philosophical questions regarding Beckett being real or not also apply to this concept of the future.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet View Post
                                Actually, it's pretty clear that a lot of people didn't want Carson back, which doesn't, incidentally, mean that they didn't like the character.
                                And alot more people wanted him back. It was the single worst decision ever made by TPTB, and even bringing in the beautiful Jewel Straite didn't made it any better.

I'm glad he's back.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Working...
                                X