X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    You using miles. I though Europeans only used kilometers
    From a mile away sounds better then from a kilometer away.... besides a mile is further away than a click/kilometer.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
      OK. Reactions on first viewing:

Not a great episode. Had some great scenes, but the episode as a whole dragged.

The good:

1) Shep and Rodney. The scene in the beginning was a great scene for their friendship - Shep trying to get Rodney to play computer games with him, his expressions when Rodney showed him the ring, and his encouragement. Then Shep knowing Rodney's password (loved Teyla's expressions on finding THAT out), and him knowing that Rodney was freaking being trapped in the lab.
      I agree. I loved that part poor Rodney is not too good at golf even on tht computer eh?

2) Teyla and John. Very good scenes together. I am definitely not a shipper of these two and never will be, but I enjoyed these scenes quite a bit. The whole shooting out-of-order thing makes it seem rather weird that she's suddenly showing so much, but unless someone points out a time clue in the episode that I missed, or one comes along later, I'm going to pretend that it's been about two months since SoW. Shep's panic about Teyla going into labor was cute, and the hand on the tummy thing was great. I enjoyed the talk they had, and Shep's story about his cop friend. And his comment about her baby having a family on Atlantis. And I had to love someone's comment in their review that "Teyla starts talking about feelings and Shep goes out a window." LOL. That being said, we've hashed this issue out with them for three episodes now. It's time to move on, and I hope they don't keep revisiting and revisiting this. As much as I liked the scenes, I've reached my Sheyla quota for the season.
      THey had such great chemistry in this scene. I'd love to see the two of them actually hook up. As to the very obvious bump that happens when you have to shoot out of order. Not that big a deal.

3) Shep and Lorne and the techs - that was more interesting than a lot of this episode, and I'd rather have had more of that than what we had.

4) Zelenka in the air ducts. That was great. I love Zelenka, and I'm so happy he survived! (I was having attacks of paranoia leading up to this episode).

5) I like it that they're making an effort this year to show Teyla as computer-savvy.
      All huge plusses to this ep.

6) I was very much afraid that they were going to make this another Rodney-screws-up episode when Radek started talking in the transporter, and I was getting ready to get really upset, but fortunately they didn't go that direction. *great sigh of relief from me*
      While I love the eps where Rodney screwes up I agree.

TThe not-so-good and the just-plain-bad:

1) Ronon/Keller. This absolutely did NOT work for me. My opinion about Keller has been on a downward slide all season long. This wasn't as bad as Missing, but it wasn't great. The setup with just the two of them seemed very forced to me. With the others I could possibly buy it being just the two of them, but Keller's all alone in the infirmary when Ronon comes in? Seriously? No other doctors, nurses, techs, anything? That one was just too painfully convenient. And the whole story about Keller's prodigy childhood was carefully designed to elicit sympathy I know, but I didn't feel a thing except irritation. Mainly because when I was watching the scene, I kept feeling like I was being told to feel sorry for her, but it wasn't happening. TPTB really have a thing for this character (witness all the promo pics for her when we've never had recurring characters included in the promo pics, not even Carson when he was recurring) and so I know I'm just going to have to get used to her, but I really can't find anything to like about her. And I'm not buying the setup between her and Ronon either. Sorry. Although - the oxygen tank scene was funny - I did like that one.
      While I do respect your view I disagree. Keller started out strong for me. Most Doctors at her age would not be able to perfom the complex surgery she did on Weir. She wasnt prepared for this kind of job and while she was a bit whiny in Missing it was a realisitic reaction IMO an she definatly grew a pair in that ep. So she kept going uphill for me since then and we got tons of backround on her here and Ronon and Keller have great chemistry. That was a great scene IMO.

2) Katie/Rodney. I haven't really had an opinion about this relationship one way or the other, but I didn't really enjoy this. And I hated Rodney regressing to his S1 self. He apparently didn't learn anything from GuP. I can see him regressing a little bit, but totally giving up and laying down and dying? That didn't work for me - I don't believe Rodney would do that. However, my main issue with this couple is that they bore me. Sorry, but there it is. I felt like their scenes and Ronon & Keller's scenes just slowed the episode down. I don't know what's going to happen with them now, but I do think they're done. And I was pretty sure that they were somehow going to kill Katie off, so I give the writers credit for ending the relationship without doing that. But poor Rodney - he needs a hug.
      This part was a bit overdone but not that bad. His illness was psychosomatic but understandable. I actually really liked these scenes and truly hoped he would ask her and felt real bad for him at the end.

3) Carter and Zelenka - meh. Didn't really care for this that much. Zelenka's pigeon pic was cute. I didn't like that Zelenka was made to look stupid though. And Carter kind of had a little condescending thing with him at the beginning that irritated me a little bit - she did the same thing with Bill Lee back in Adrift and I didn't like it there either. That's something that used to pop up on SG-1 every once in a while, and it always bugged me. I can handle Rodney's blatant in-your-face arrogance better than I can handle the subtle almost eye rolls I pick up from Carter sometimes.
      I don't see it. I didn't see Carter being condecending at all and I also don't think Zelenka looked stupid at all. the overload wasnt his fault it was a accident. I think the chemistry was great between the two. I didn't see Carter eyerolling him at all.

4) Shep's tower climb - this looked awesome in the previews, and then when I actually saw it, it was like - oh, that is so not real. I couldn't buy into it for some reason. It was just too far out there.
      Really? How so exactly? Not trying to be a smartass I'm really curious. It looked really real much more than I expected with the obvious fact that most of that tower would be CGI. Very tense scene IMO.

5) Teyla's climbing out on the ledge - yeah, I didn't like that either. It seemed a little reckless - I was glad she climbed back in, but it seemed like a waste of screentime. They could have had her do something else.
      Yeah it was reckless however it was necessary for Teyla to realize her restrictions.

6) And last. Ok, writers, what gives? Why are they so very very determined to cut Rodney off from his team this year? I'm getting very very frustrated about this. I'm tired of this deal where Shep is the only one on the team that Rodney is friends with. I need to see the rest of the team caring about him too, and him being included with the team. I really am frustrated that he got cut out of the pregnancy reveal thing, and that everyone else ( + LORNE) has had scenes with Teyla regarding it, but nothing with Rodney. He's part of the team too! Arghhhhh!!!

And yes, I know Joe Mallozzi said
      Spoiler:
      that they would have a scene in
      Spoiler:
      Kindred,
      which is great, but why so stingy with it? John and Teyla have had a ton of scenes now, and Ronon and Teyla have had some great scenes. I want more Rodney and Teyla scenes! *jumps up and down in frustration*
      Kinda hard to do in this episode so it didn't bother me. He was part of the team in SoW, Adrift, Lifeline, Doppleganger and many more. They ahve included more characters this season in getting development so a few eps where he isn't with Shep or Teyla isn't a big deal.

I'm starting to wonder if they're building up to something with Rodney. There's been quite a few comments about Rodney being off his game. And with his slow isolation from everyone except Shep (and Zelenka to some extent) and losing Elizabeth and Carson, two of his best friends, it would be interesting if they were slowly building up to something major with Rodney. It's interesting, but it seems like Shep is about the only one he relaxes around anymore. But if they are, they're being pretty subtle about it. And there's been no spoilers about it for upcoming episodes, except for some cryptic hints in Joe Mallozzi's spoiler poems. Who knows? I guess we'll see. Rodney has felt off to me this season, and it would be cool if that turned out to actually be a plot point instead of just the way the season's going. But I know better than to get my hopes up with this show. Better to not and be pleasantly surprised.
      He's been off because of Carson so that's understandable but he has has more development than the rest of the team the last few years so they are giving the others more so as I said a few eps where he is not with thewholeteam is not that big a deal.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        From a mile away sounds better then from a kilometer away.... besides a mile is further away than a click/kilometer.
        Canadians use Kilometers

2.5 kilometers equals a mile i think... i often use the shortened version of 'k'

like 'The mall is 10k from the hotel but the liquor board is across the street'
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
          Canadians use Kilometers

2.5 kilometers equals a mile i think... i often use the shortened version of 'k'

Nice to know... Driving around Canada just became a whole lot easier.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Nice to know... Driving around Canada just became a whole lot easier.
            Yup cause its always good to know where the liquor board store is (j/k)
            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

"Quarantine" wasn't really a favorite of mine this season, but it offered a few interesting tidbits here and there.

Shep climbing up the side of the Control Tower was cool.

Keller and Ronon... I really don't know how to take that one. It just seems like such an awkward fit to me. Though it does at least seem like Ronon is actually getting something (or someone) to do now, aside from just look cool and shoot people.

Teyla/Shep conversations. Still loving these.

Carter being annoyed with Zelenka's personality as they're stuck together in the tiny transporter. Cute.

Dr. McKay and his girl... K, I like how their story went in this one. The thing is, I honestly have no faith at all in the writers actually following through and causing McKay to become a better person. At least not in a really major way.

I mean, I'm pretty sure they want him to stay *basically* the same guy. It's why many people like him so much anyway.

The ending was the best part. The way she said "bye" sounded so fatalistic. McKay just thought that they would slow things down or something, but how she said that one little word seemed to make it look like it was totally over between them.

I give "Quarantine" a C+. Nice to see an ep that feels so much about the characters and what's currently going on with them. Though I'm totally ready to get back to something less... bottle-showish now.

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                Canadians use Kilometers

incorrect. kilometre is abbreviated to km, not k.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                  And a mile is 1.6 km not 2.5...

Comment

km (k=1000 in general and in si, km=1000 meters)

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                      Carter was hardly in a clubbing outfit.
                      That was soo totally a boobie shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        i like keller, a lot.

but then, i've never seen an ep with beckett, so i have no one to compare him/her to. but that does bring up an interesting thought: would i have issues with her if i'd known (and loved) her predecessor?

sally
                        I thought I would but I liked her right away. I don't think you have to resent one for filling the gap a favorite left....it's not like it's her fault or anything.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

It's possible to like both on their own merits.

Although I have to say, I LOVED Beckett, and Keller is just okay to me. Beckett was just so much more distinctive and present, and Keller is... there.

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                            I thought I would but I liked her right away. I don't think you have to resent one for filling the gap a favorite left....it's not like it's her fault or anything.

I agree. It truly isn't the fault of either the character or the actor when a replacement is made, and the newbie should be given a trial without prejudice, as it were.

I think, though, for most people, how much a new character is resented is directly proportional to how much the previous character was liked.

I'll have to admit I adored Carson, and at first I wasn't particularly pleased with Keller, although I never hated her; she was simply 'there' for me. A minor character, like Lorne :braces for impact: or Grodin. As written, IMO at this level of development, that's all she could be.

On the other replacement, I was never that invested in Weir (I never had a problem with the actress, just IMO, Weir was/had to be a fairly minor character herself, in spite of her high billing, since she was, by default as civilian leader, pretty much stuck on Atlantis), so I really had no problem at all with the change from Weir to Carter. I really didn't give it a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              That was soo totally a boobie shirt.

Teyla rules when it comes to booooobie shirts. Sam was more decent than Teyla in S4

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                when written yes but not when spoken, which was what i was referring to...at least thats how people in Saskatchewan say it
                                Last edited by parisindy; 20 January 2008, 02:32 PM.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X