This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lostinspace View Post
    We had so many plays on "team" and "family" well-balanced action and drama, overall solid acting from leads and guests alike, on top of good writing and music, and FCOL - continuity and backstory! Woot.
    Continuity & backstory - what have we come to!

Yeah, very solid, lots of nice things about it. Not necessarily brilliantly exciting but it was good to have something solid, thought through and well performed. Left with a nice satisfied feeling.

Oh - and nice to see Dr. Lee not being an utter buffoon for once, and actually looking like the kind of mind that would be employed by the secretest project in the world!
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
      They were talking about the Will Ferrel movie.
      Ah, thanks. Never saw that movie, but yea, it's an ice skating flick

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
        ITA. I say that a lot to your posts don't I? Sorry!
        thanks. I slink away in shame admitting I had to look up what ITA meant as I knew it as another technical acronym but not "I totally agree"

Comment

Whoa awesome terminatoresque story. Loved the neck snappings! Suprised by the ending, but its open to reboot her for a sequal if needed. Im suprised Sheppard has a silverspoon, makes him different from most of the heroes out there. I think this ep kinda cements him as the central character of SGA, but Rodneys up there too.

Oh and the burning up on reentry was awesome! Nice trick on the tag in the knife. Very JasonX in the incinerating in the atmosphere. When i die thats how i wanna go ^.^

Comment

sorry 1/5 as i was bored to tears. im also fed up with no team eps. the dynamic duos of rodney/shep or ronan/shep do nothing for me.
            sigpic
            banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by idlewild202 View Post
              There was a promo with a horse? I must see this...
              Not in a video, but a photo

Originally posted by lostinspace View Post
              1) Where could I get high res screen caps of the episode (beyond what's available at MGM/Sci Fi)? In particular, has anyone seen a blown up copy of the Globe business article which headlined "Utilities mogul Patrick Sheppard dies at 69" (I think)?

2) Any bets on who's the older brother? The ep left a lot to our imagination (which is good I guess), but I'm inclined to think that John was older, and thus, there was more disappointment/conflict about him *not* fulfilling his duty and living up to dad's expectations.

3) I guess the "burning up in re-entry" was a reference to The Ark, since it couldn't really be past experience in the USAF?

4) Where did those visual reality pods come from? Was that from Aurora, or some other SG-1 episode?
              1 - No doubt the hi-rez image will show up on LIve Journal (where the creative fans tend to cluster). Give 'em a day or so and someone will cap it

2 - I think John is the older brother; but man, they don't look a bit alike in any context. Of course, same mother? And what is it in every movie that mom is always dead?? Oh wait wait, that's cuz men are useless without the women around

3 - Lots of things burn up in re-entry, tons of space junk, and with Sheppard watching far too many movies, he's seen a few re-entry burns for entertainment, but yup, "The Ark" was basically his experience

4 - I figured from the Aurora although that ship blew up so.... hmmm...

Originally posted by Noneareleft View Post
              The one thing I don't get is that he asked his ex for help, when he could get just about any information himself. I know she was "there" but why risk it?
              I know he couldn't pick up the phone and call the President like Hammond or Jack... but now with how far things have progressed and the amount of connections and higher ups that are in the know and pro SGC, I mean he could have just called Jack himself and got the information....

But they had to develop that relationship so I guess that will do.
              Yeah, he could have easily just called HomeWORLD security and they'd have even more classified access. Having the ex-wife access it just brings her into the plot, otherwise, we wouldn't have seen her past the wake. a plot contrivance, really.

And a quibble. There's Bates, who had a severe head injury (subdural hematoma) and he gets whacked in the head and knocked out again? Medically, he should have been in the hospital after that as benig unconscious means concussion and on top of damage already done previously (which got him rotated out of the service) means hitting on head is BAD.
              Last edited by prion; 02 February 2008, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I liked the idea, but the execution was terrible. I enjoyed the Sheppard & ex-wife scenes more than the A Plot, and I'm really hoping we see her again.

Score: a very generous **
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Great episode, 10/10, best episode since BAMSR'd.

Comment

First things first. Major kudos to all the actors particularly Joe Flanigan. He just keeps getting better and better. The scene with his brother was some of the best acting I've ever seen him do. If he ever gets up on the big screen, watch out all you Hollywood leading men. Your days are numbered.

Finally some Sheppard background, just not enough. But will it ever be. I'm not really quibbling, but it would be nice for confirmation that his mother ever existed. I'm one of the few I guess who was not the least bit surprised that he comes from a wealthy family. His hobbies of golf and surfing, his obvious education beyond the basic college requirements, (War and Peace? Most men would have picked something else for a long read IMHO.) just the way he carries himself seems to indicate that kind of history to me. Did someone say his father was a "utilities mogul" and wasn't there a mention of Reading? Monopoly anyone? LOL.

I didn't like Nancy at first, but she grew on me. She seemed tender with him but it looks like neither of them would go back.

The brother also seemed to have mellowed a bit at the end. I wonder if Nancy talked to him and told him that his brother apparently is a big damn hero? *raspberries* Though if I'm honest, I have to say I saw the brother's point. John has been thinking all these years that his father doesn't want him around and holds things against him, loves his brother better, thinks he's a loser, yadda yadda. But it's all not true. The brother has been there helping run things and probably listening to his father talk about how much he regrets what happened and misses John yadda yadda. So I can see both sides. Though somebody desperately needs to give John a real comforting hug without ulterior motives and he needs to let them.

Loved Rodney's support. Guy conversations without words tickle me. Loved Ronon's support. He was adorable in this.

The action part was interesting and exciting. When the scientist, whose name escapes me, confronted his creation, I said to my husband "They're doing Frankenstein now? Whatta 'ya bet he kills him? And there's even a young girl." But that comparison in no way took away from the plot. I also liked the Terminator parts. I enjoy episodes that mimic movies because I love seeing these guys in those roles. And I'm not a whumper, except when it involves dirt and sweat and torn shirts...what? Oh, anyway I liked the whump here, but I was screaming for Shep to kick him in the *****.

I know this is a done deal, but I just have to say to any PTB who might be lurking today that for S5
                    Spoiler:
                    Sheppard has shown his ability to lead and should be given command of his city.
                    Thank you kindly.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I must admit I liked the episode a lot. I thought Ronan at the funeral was well done, it was great having Bates back, I'll always be a power ranger fan so having the Yellow Dino Thunder ranger there was great (and they even put her martial arts to use and she improved her accent) plus they were able to develop the Replicator's into something more than over powered Terminator's.

I was a bit disappointed by the actor for the Terminator. At first he looked like Edward Atterton and I thought this was a good thing until I saw more and noticed that it wasn't him at all. I'm not saying Adrian Hein did a bad job, I was just disappointed it wasn't who I thought.

Was it just me, or did John's wife have a hint of orange to skin colour?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        4 - I figured from the Aurora although that ship blew up so.... hmmm...
                        What about the Tria? JM said that it's floating between the two galaxies. Perhaps they just couldn't fix the dyperdrive and just decided to strip it - get all the good parts and that's that...Just speculation, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetsong View Post
                          Couple things I liked, all the insight into Sheppards background. He obviously came from an afluent family, I never expected that. His brother was a total *$&*$! I would never have mentioned him to anyone either.

How do you box someone in when they are next to a pier, thus the reason the replicator got away.

And was Ellis on vacation? There was liberal use of the Appollo's beam technology but zero view of the ships leader.

Since this ep seemed reminescent of Terminator,Dr. Lee's vat of lava reference was expected. Heh, Ava replicator saved their butts. They had me fooled though I was a bit skeptic about them letting her loose on earth, the virtual reality thing was downright clever.
                          This might just bite them in the a$$ some day or possible save their butts.
                          sigpic
                          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Okay, about the whole Replicator in the VR world thing...She said that she wasn't allowed to work in any scientific field...Why? Since she's in a VR world and can't harm anyone, why not let her think that she works for the government and have someone oversee her work. A replicator's bound to be fairly clever...Might have come up with something useful...

Comment

Loved seeing Bates!

Dr. Lee! That sunburn!

The scene between Rodney and Shep at the beginning was awesome: "Wanna talk?" Hewlett and Flanigan play so well against each other. I've said before that I love the McShep banter, but I'm also a huge fan of their more angsty scenes.
                              You could just feel the misery coming off of Shep in that scene and Rodney was so sad for him and so upset that he couldn't go with him---how great that Rodney put in a request to accompany John back to Earth. I'm sure they had that talk later down the line. I like Ronon and Shep paired together but not as much as Shep and Rodney---those two are the main reason that I watch this show. They are the stars imho. yomv.

I did love how Ronon just strolled into the gateroom and informed Shep that he was going with him, and how he walked through the gate first so that Shep didn't have time to respond.

Sorry to see that there was no mention of Teyla. At least they explained why Rodney wasn't going, but no Teyla explanation? Yes, yes, I know that she was far along in her pregnancy, but it would've only taken a second to utter a line about her absence. The team is like a family, and I think that at the very least we should've gotten a mention about Teyla.

I'm in the minority here about John's brother Dave being an *ss. I don't agree. Obviously he and John had issues and then John was gone for 4 yrs. (or more?). Dave said that he'd tried before to get in touch with him but that the air force wasn't always dependable about getting messages delivered. The remark about the money was meant to hurt John. Siblings say awful things like that----especially when they're holding grudges (shades of "McKay and Mrs. Miller" anyone?). He told John that their father regretted what had gone on between the two of them---if he was a real monster, he wouldn't have told that to John. I'm glad to see that they were going to work it out at the end of the episode---too bad we didn't get to be a fly on the wall for that----or at least a part of that conversation. I would've liked to have heard just what it was that came between John and his Dad. I would've happily given up some of the replicator stuff in exchange for more of Shep's family drama, but I'm a sucker for character stuff and I realize others would rather see space battles and chase scenes etc. Oh well.

Did I mention that I loved seeing Bates again?

Wilson3Girl

Comment

I enjoyed this episode very much. Ruffles did a great review, IMHO, and I agree with much/all that she said.

Still, I'm gonna throw my 1/50 $ into the Puddle.

JF did a great job - again! He doesn't have to bawl his eyes out to show how deeply he's hurting. I loved seeing him in civvies. Yowza!

I loved the scene between Shep and Rodney. At one point, I thought Rodney would try to give Shep a hug. There was that kind of caring and bonding. Also, I thought it was nice the reason McKay wasn't going was so he could save a planet of children, even the wacky kids of M7G-677!

Loved Ronon just packing up and going with Shep - no questions, no offers, he just went. JMm looked soooo good in this ep, and I loved it when he was kicking butt. He also was very funny at the buffet table! But Ronon's friendship with Shep really shined in how he was there when Shep needed him, but gave Shep space when he needed to be alone. Ronon rocks!

Dr. Lee was great! Like others, I like the character, and don't always want him to be the fall guy. Funny intro - pulled off of vacation - but then he was serious scientist guy.

I thought from the beginning that Ava was a replicator, but then changed my mind, then changed it back before the big reveal. Like someone else said, she just looked like a replicator. The fight between her and the male replicator was pretty cool. Loved how Shep dealt with the male rep - burned up on re-entry. I also was glad they didn't show a replicator nanite surviving or hinted that there were other replicators on Earth.

I was about to throw a pillow at the TV when I saw Shep and Ava talking and walking at the end. I couldn't believe they had "let her go." Then Shep disappeared, in a non-Asgard-beaming manner, and voila, a peaceful resolution. If they had imprisoned her, she would've spent all her time trying to escape. Now at least, she can have some kind of life.

I was surprised and happy to see Bates. He wasn't my favorite character from S1, but even though I disliked him, I understood his point of view. I'm glad he is doing well. And Dean Marshall looked very handsome in his suit. Bummer he got another bump on the noggin, though!!

Actually, all of the men, from Dave (not really my type) to Bates to Our Heroes to the soldiers who were hunting the replicator were all very handsome. Nice eye candy for us men-loving fans!

I was spoiled that Shep was from money. Wish they'd used that horse scene - sigh - love that pic! I thought the house and grounds were beautiful. And the flowers arrangements for the wake were gorgeous - very expensive looking! But it did surprise me when I learned his family was rich. Just didn't imagine him so. No bother either way - just an impression.

I thought Dave was kinda being a jerk - even though I give them both some leeway since they were grieving and Dave has no idea what Shep has been doing all these years. Interesting hinting about the divide between Shep and his dad. I did like that Dave told Shep that their dad regretted the break-off of communication. But I wish they had been able to resolve their problems when his dad was still alive. Ahhh, like Methos said, "One of a million regrets!" I'm glad Dave and Shep were going to talk at the end. I think Shep making the effort to bridge the gap between him and Dave showed a strength and growth in character - especially from a man who keeps everything inside!

The ex - beautiful woman. Also, well acted and strong. I give her kudos for attending the funeral. I didn't like that she kept bringing up all of Shep's "faults" from their marriage - so many years ago - but maybe she'd never had the chance to get that all off her chest. Still - she was being a little too much "You were a bad husband!" for me. Maybe I'll see it differently after a few more views. I think there was a little bit of chemistry between them, but more of a faint echo of chemistry from years before. Plus, she's remarried. Ahhh...lost love. I'm glad it wasn't a smoochy, angsty reunion. More to do with business and getting things done, like saving the world!

I was kinda mad that Nancy was mad at Shep for doing his job, which involved last minute secret missions. It's not like Shep was off playing golf with the guys, FCOL! I mean, I understand the frustration of not being able to share everything with one's spouse and the tension that can cause, but y'know, if my hubby doesn't tell me the confidential business stuff he has to do, and occasionally has to leave last minute on business, I'm not going to divorce him for it.

But of course, part of her anger or frustration was probably from fear and worry that Shep could be killed on those secret missions. I dunno. Perhaps military spouses or police/firefighter spouses can address these feelings better.

OK, done for now.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                                O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Working...
                                X