Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Outcast" Pre-Airing and Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know some are concerned but this seems like to be a great ep from what I've read so lets hope I'm right.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

My care is that we get a really well presented backstory for Shep. I don't care if it's flashback or not, because that's just technical stuff and visual. A good backstory no matter how executed will be interesting in it's own right. The visual display is not the end all and be all, paticularly over a character who should have had a back story several seasons ago. So I'm just more excited by learning something new about him and the developments that lead up to the man we have now, than really about if it's "flashback" or "present action".
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
        My care is that we get a really well presented backstory for Shep. I don't care if it's flashback or not, because that's just technical stuff and visual. A good backstory no matter how executed will be interesting in it's own right. The visual display is not the end all and be all, paticularly over a character who should have had a back story several seasons ago. So I'm just more excited by learning something new about him and the developments that lead up to the man we have now, than really about if it's "flashback" or "present action".
        Exactly. We are finally getting some long overdue backstory for Shep and so far it sounds like quite an ep.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
          I think Bates could tell a lot about Sheppard’s character, good and bad.

I do think Bates came to respect Sheppard, at least, grudgingly, even though the last time we see him up, he and Sheppard have had a disagreement about Teyla, then Sheppard is breaking up a fight between he and Teyla. In Hot Zone, I think Bates unlocks the Gym, at least in part, because he believes Sheppard is right to defy Weir and try to stop Peterson. So what he might say about Sheppard would be interesting.

And Bates has availability, he could easily be in the SGC (recovered from his ‘disability.’)
          Well you're right, but the thing is, we already know all of that. Say what you will about the writers, but they have a knack for writing likable S.O.B.s, like Mayborne. Letters From Pegasus showed us that Bates is truly a good guy, and certainly a patriot, and while his calls were always proper and by-the-book, in a leadership role in Atlantis you had to know to bend the rules.

What I'm saying is we already know where Bates stands, and it's not like this guy has a wealth of seasoned military knowledge, he's clearly damned good, being the third highest ranking officer on the Expedition, but at the end of the day, he's still a young guy.

Colonel Sumner or Everett on the other hand could truly advise Shepp on being the leader of a Special Ops team.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

I don't think it would be Bates.

It very well could be Everett I mean they could have given him back his life and questioned him for along time
            And it is not Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
              I don’t think there has to be flashbacks, either. All we really need is casual discussion and some banter to reveal quite a bit. I don’t need my nose rubbed in the backstory, just the general idea of his family and what he was doing all those years before Afghanistan.

The ex wife actually appearing is more problematic. Maybe he takes Ronon to where he grew up or goes to visit a member of his family(gasp!) or a mentor, and runs into the ex. Or she’s in the Air Force and he runs into her. Or she’s a scientist and McKay drags him to see her without realizing she’s his ex. That is my most interesting scenario: she turns out to be a female McKay with better looks and better social skills and plenty of sass. And none of it requires flashbacks.

Oh, the possibilities!
              I'm in total agreement. I want a backstory, but don't need my nose rubbed in it either. I think having lots thrown at us would actually be too much.

As for Shep going back to Earth....maybe he's taking a mandatory R&R and something happens while he's on Earth? Or maybe his ATA gene makes things go hokey and there are major problems for him and Atlantis and is forced to leave and go back to Earth. I know, grasping at straws here, but just don't want to accept or entertain the idea of discplinary hearings, investagations etc as his reason for going back.
              sigpic

Comment

Although I'd like it to be Ford (unless JM was pulling our legs saying we won't be seeing Ford in S4), its probably Bates.
                "23 across: The atomic weight of Boron. The answer is 'ten'... you wrote 'fat'."

"Indeed."

sigpic

Comment

I posted this on JM's blog, so thought i'd post my speculation here.

I was thinking about the "Outcast" ep and on going back through your blog I saw this question from 6th August.

"Anonymous #3 writes: "Any plans for an ice planet for our Atlantis expedition members this year? Or any other really different sort of planet environment?"

"Answer: Hmmmmmmmmmmm..."

So, I was wondering. By the Antarctic, there's a couple of islands, called 'Outcast' and as it's set on Earth, and with you Hmmmmming about an Ice planet.

Outcast islands

Not sure where the mystery guest comes into it though

*hopes it's Bates*

Comment

Finally. Some good sheppard backstory and we get it on earth! Even better. I can't wait to meet sheppards ex- wife.I honestly don't think the reason why it didn't work was because of sheppard's kirking.I think it was because sheppard has a hard time opening up to people and letting them in and the reason why the marriage failed was due to failure to communicate. I also have a strong feeling that sheppard's family is the reason why he has trouble doing some of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                      I posted this on JM's blog, so thought i'd post my speculation here.

I was thinking about the "Outcast" ep and on going back through your blog I saw this question from 6th August.

"Anonymous #3 writes: "Any plans for an ice planet for our Atlantis expedition members this year? Or any other really different sort of planet environment?"

"Answer: Hmmmmmmmmmmm..."

So, I was wondering. By the Antarctic, there's a couple of islands, called 'Outcast' and as it's set on Earth, and with you Hmmmmming about an Ice planet.

Outcast islands

Not sure where the mystery guest comes into it though

*hopes it's Bates*
                      Wow Peggy that's a great idea. Hmmm indeed.
                      sigpic

Rotating SIGs by Pegasus_SGA
                      &
                      AVI by *ERIKA*

Comment

From Joes blog today:
                        O1 writes: “Can you give us a hint about outcast and whether it is going to be an action episode, a character driven episode or an angsty episode?”

Answer: Hopefully, all of the above.
                        http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...t-16-2007.html

This episode is sounding better and better...
                        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                          I was also thinking that we may get some flashbacks from Sheps past. They may be shown through a series of events that expalin how Sheppard came to be the way he is today. Otherwise how are we going to get any insight into his past if everything takes place in the present. I can't see Shep sitting down with various people from his past and discussing what may have happened on these occasions.

I was wondering about the reason John goes back... I was thinking that maybe he is seriously injured and that no one can help him on Atlantis and therefore he is sent back to earth. If he is seriously ill or injured this would be the perfect opportunity for various people from his past to come and visit him
                          Spoiler:
                          including Bates.
                          . Why would his ex wife come into the picture unless John's life is in some kind of danger. Maybe upon seeing these people from his past they conjur up past experiences that give us more insight into the man himself. I think if they are flashbacks they will go into more detail than from what we saw in Phantoms. It will probably cover more areas of his past as well, both his military and his personal background.

Seriously ill or injured......yep that idea sounds awesome!!!

Love all the speculation.

Comment

I really am vehemently against the idea of flashbacks. In Phantoms it worked because they were blended into the story in the form of hallucinations and it worked well but on the whole flashbacks are lazy story telling. If it's well written we will be able to read between the lines and know what has happened in the past without being shown it.

Besides which there may not be any one event in his past that is referenced, if the episode is going to have an action element then I would guess it is dealing with a current issue and that the backstory will simply come from the inclusion of people from his past. Shep isn't the kind of guy to bare his soul but the people who knew him before Atlantis might be more forthcoming and we can learn a lot just from the conversations he has with his ex and whoever else we get to meet. Just by seeing their interaction we will get to see what kind of relationship they have/had and if you meet someone from your past it is only natural that you would talk about things that happened during the time you knew them.

I just don't see that we need any kind of flashbacks to tell a story about his past and I'll be bitterly disappointed if the writers fall back on such a cliché.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard's Delight View Post
                              Seriously ill or injured......yep that idea sounds awesome!!!

Love all the speculation.
                              Me too. All this speculation is so much fun...I wonder why you like the idea of seriously ill or injured? You're not one of those whumpers, are you?
                              sigpic

Comment

I hope it's Bates that we see, hopefully they can get him back on Atlantis and rattle some cages

Comment

Working...
                                X