This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disliked the majority of this episode. I have a few reasons:

1) Rodney's whining: Bad acting on the part of David. Normally I love Rodney, but I wanted to rip his head off in this episode. He was SO FREAKING ANNOYING. Think you could tone it down a bit David? Thanks.

2) Thoughtlessness on the part of the characters: Bad writing. The characters were... stupid in this episode. No other word for it. It was like the had an omnipotent DM standing over them railroading their every move. They had multiple possible choices in every situation, yet they were too stupid to realize it. Of course this isn't the actors fault, it is the writers. Why didn't they jump to the nearest gate, use it to go to midway, and get one of the 2 full ZMPs that Earth has? They'd only need it for a few minutes, then they could give it back. Honestly, how stupid are these characters?

3) Bad Timing:
    This is, I think, a problem with the direction and editing of this episode. Why did they have Rodney figure out how to do something, THEN take 2 minutes to explain how it was a life threatening situation and they didn't have a moment to spare? How hard would it have been to show him explaining how they didn't have a moment to spare WHILE HE WAS WORKING? And then of course, every time there was a dangerous moment, all the characters stopped working and stood around having a discussion about whether or not they should keep working. *Boggle* This killed the ep for me.

4) Bad acting: Both Oberoth and Ellis sounded like they'd received their scripts ten minutes beforehand, and were getting offstage cues. That was some of the worst acting I have seen on Stargate. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0 View Post
      1. Given they have already landed, and none of their enemies is aware of their location. There is no point in keeping the shield up;
      2. Because of 1, they have time to figure out damage and repairs;
      3. So with 1 and 2. I don't see the necessity of keeping the shield up.
      Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
      I guess she just wanted to save power. that's why she told him to lower the shields. besides there's no point of having the shields up when there's no threat of some kind
      I wasn't thinking threats, but perhaps structural damage to the city from the asteroid field. They didn't give any indication they were doing anything about repairs or searching out damage. I do get the feeling sam gave the order as otherwise, she would have just sat there and said nothing, and that wouldn't have looked good. If they'd added in a line about the city's integrity, it would have been better.

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
      like others have already said it's unrealistic to get promoted 2 ranks at once. also I doubt we'll ever see Carter as a Brigadier General. think about it. O'Neill got promoted to General after at least 8 years of being a Colonel. why should Carter attain that rank any faster? so unless there'll be a season 10, 11 and 12 of Atlantis my guess is we gotta live with Carter being a full-bird Colonel. which I'm totally okay with btw

If she gets promoted to colonel, she'd be booted out of the field, just like Jack, to a desk job somewhere back on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        I wasn't thinking threats, but perhaps structural damage to the city from the asteroid field. They didn't give any indication they were doing anything about repairs or searching out damage. I do get the feeling sam gave the order as otherwise, she would have just sat there and said nothing, and that wouldn't have looked good. If they'd added in a line about the city's integrity, it would have been better.

If she gets promoted to colonel, she'd be booted out of the field, just like Jack, to a desk job somewhere back on Earth.
        To be honest, we already have a good idea of how damaged the city is. It wouldn't help the plot either because keeping the city intact had only become second to their survival. So, they landed on the planet, the city is stable (as seen), so now they have time to figure that complication out.

EDIT: Remember during The Siege about how they were willing to have the city self-destruct so that the Wraith could not get to Earth, and destroy our civilization as a race? The city is expendable (to an extent, because the show is called Stargate: Atlantis).
        Last edited by Mattathias2.0; 06 October 2007, 12:25 PM.

Comment

i thought this weeks ep was better then last. it said to see weir im sure she well be back. so if the Replicators are now progamed to attack the warith does that mean there not going to borther atlantis at least until there done with the warith.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
            I disliked the majority of this episode. I have a few reasons:

1) Rodney's whining: Bad acting on the part of David. Normally I love Rodney, but I wanted to rip his head off in this episode. He was SO FREAKING ANNOYING. Think you could tone it down a bit David? Thanks.
            I think they were both annoying, Sheppard and McKay...oh, sorry, do I repeat myself?

Who did write this episode anyway? I think that writer doesn´t know those characters too well.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by lord-anubis View Post
              i thought this weeks ep was better then last. it said to see weir im sure she well be back. so if the Replicators are now progamed to attack the warith does that mean there not going to borther atlantis at least until there done with the warith.
              I liked this episode more than lasts weeks.

but the whining did get a little extensive.

all and all it was a great episode!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                I think they were both annoying, Sheppard and McKay...oh, sorry, do I repeat myself?

Who did write this episode anyway? I think that writer doesn´t know those characters too well.
                Carl Binder wrote this ep, and he's the same one who wrote Echoes.
                - Life after Stargate -
                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                sigpic

Comment

people don't just jump from lt colonel to general over night. There are requirements to be met, the least of which it time in service and time in grade...and sam obviously meets those for the rank of colonel, she doesn't for general.

Unless the show is on the air for 5 more years, the only way we'll see sam as a general is if there's something set in the future.

One thing the military does do is 'sunset promotions'...basically give you a step up in rank as you retire. it's just a way to give you extra money a month as part of your pension without you ever having to serve in the rank that you retire in

I liked the second part better than the first...but that is a trademark with these show runners...teh first part is almost always weaker because it's 80% setup for part two.

I think the one thing that really got on my nerves was rodney. ok, so we know that we only have 20 seconds before the ship explodes....so do you REALLY have to spend 19 of those telling us teh how's and why's????

give that dude some valium or ritalyn please.

the only other thing that bugged me was, enough wtih the 'rewind to show you the real happenings' trick. cool the first time, but it's getting overused. put that particular crutch back in the closet please and find another trick

ooh, and did anyone else think...on the new planet, when they're talking about the 'giant venomous snake like creature' that maybe they were taking a dig at MS Megasnake?
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. I thought it was equally as good as Adrift.

I felt it was a more story driven episode, and enjoyed all of the characters here.

My favourite bits?

Hmmm, I loved the Shep/McKay interaction here. I know some get tired of them, but not me

I thought it was a good send off for Weir, and I'm keen to know what's in her future, whereas I didn't really care prior to the episode. I liked that she sacrifced herself for the expedition and team. I didn't expect her to, but liked that she did.

I liked Carter here, and particularly liked her last scene with Sheppard on the balcony. The two have great chemistry, and I think they'll have a good working relationship. I liked Sheppard's determination to find Weir if she's still out there, and liked Carter's understanding that he'd do that.

I am really beginning to like the replicators now, and Oberoth was particularly good here. I liked the way Weir tricked him. I wasn't expecting that, and was impressed. Good twist, I thought.

I love the city landing in the water, and enjoyed the scenes as it sailed or was it plummeted, through the clouds.

Venemous snake creatures? Sounds good to me!

Overall, a very strong episode. A good send off for Weir and good introduction for Carter. Great stuff from Shep and McKay, with good support from Ronon and Teyla. I look forward to Reunion!
                    sigpic

Comment

what i liked is how sam was not immediately placed in charge of atlantis like: oh look weirs gone, now i'm in charge. instead it's being done much more subtly with carter going back to earth and i guess being re-assigned by landry.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I was thinking it'd be cool if it actually wasn't the Ancients who deactivated the Wraith aggression code. OoOoOo... a mystery.

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                        yeah, I could have gone without carter filling in Weir's spot. there was no need to rub it in early that she's taking over. As well, notice how she commanded Mckay to lower the shield. As if she was already in command. I think tptb or the directors forgot that she doesn't become leader until the next episode.
                        She was ranking officer on base, that's how it goes. You're expected to step up and take command.

Originally posted by BerrySciFi View Post
                        John's attitude toward Rodney to be pathetic. Rodney has certainly saved Shep and everyone else many times over- one would think a little respect would be in order. Shep was actually my favorite character UNTIL LIFELINE. Their banter has become tiresome, repetitive, and (from Shep) mean spirited. Without Dr. Weir, it seems that Shep has lost the kindness and warmth that made him interesting. Didn't he used to be kind of a cross between Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neil?
                        Dude, he was losing his sweetie-pie. Yeah, I'd be irritable.

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                        The one thing I found a bit jarring - Sheppard was going to leave Teyla in charge of Atlantis in case the mission failed? Like he really has the authority to do that!!!
                        He does.

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                        The acting was wonderful, the effects were great, but it left me cold. Where's the team? These people don't even seem to like each other. I know they're in a crisis here, but they have been in similar situations before and maintained a sense of camaraderie and a dash of humor.
                        And it's about time the writers drop the cutesy stuff that totally robs the situation of any real drama and write crises that actually have the characters on edge! I welcome it.

Poor Teyla was disposed of within the first few minutes of the show. I hope she actually gets to do something this season. Can they only write for one woman per episode? If Weir is featured, then Teyla must be sidelined? I hope they don't continue this when Carter takes command or they might as well have made Teyla a replicator too.
                        Too bad they didn't cut over to Atlantis to show Teyla actually making a couple tough command decisions.

Nex week is Reunion. I predict that Ronon will be angry, Teyla will be concerned, while Sheppard and McKay bicker. Of course, they can't even do this as a team.
                        Yup... I'm hoping S4 will change this status quo.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                        I was figuring that they'd deal with some emotional fallout next week.
                        Don't get too optimistic now. They probably won't even mention her, if past writing is any indication.

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                        I'm going to chalk the harsh interaction between Sheppard and McKay in this one to residue left from Adrift when Rodney defied him and the stress of the overall situation. I think the idea of them having to kill Weir (John give the order and McKay actually pulling the plug) was a huge burden for them to bear and the strain showed.
                        Precisely!

Originally posted by rpmguitar View Post
                        5)the only thing that bothers me about carter in atlantis is that she is always right. I'd like to see her do something that turns out to be massively wrong. it would make her character interesting again.
                        Gemini.

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
                        good bye Weir don't feel the need to come back
                        I think there are trolling courses available at 4chan.

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post

4) Bad acting: Both Oberoth and Ellis sounded like they'd received their scripts ten minutes beforehand, and were getting offstage cues. That was some of the worst acting I have seen on Stargate. Ever.
                        What's DH gonna do with the 50 pages of banter they wrote for him? He has two choices; A) Read it flat and make it sound even more like the dull exposition it is, or B) Read it with some urgency and - just maybe - keep the tension up a little.

Oberoth was fine as far as I'm concerned. Ellis is okayish, but none can defeat the awful acting of that Tok'ra woman from that SG-1 episode where Teal'c finds the legions of dead/poisoned Jaffa.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          what i liked is how sam was not immediately placed in charge of atlantis like: oh look weirs gone, now i'm in charge. instead it's being done much more subtly with carter going back to earth and i guess being re-assigned by landry.
                          Yeah I liked that too. Hopefully they will do a gradual change of leadership. I'm not sure how many people on Atlantis will see Carter as an intruder?
                          I'm still very sad about Elizabeth's capture by the replicators. Did you see Rodney's face when Ronon and Sheppard came back without her? It was heartbreaking. I am very intrigued as to what is going to happen to her.
                          Teyla and Ronon were very touching too. A moving episode that's for sure.
                          On the fun size, yeah Rodney's choice of words has been hilarious. The slashers around are having a fit... "penetrate". "kissing". lol
                          Torri rocked in this episode. More repliWeir, please!
                          I would say 9/10 for Lifeline. Can't wait for the next episode...

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                            One thing that hit me in this episode-Sheppard was so *damn* annyoing in this episode.
                            Did we watch the same episode? I didn't think he was annoying at all.

First, Sheppard says to McKay that he doesn´t trust him (and I doubt it has anything to do with nanites, he acted like this before) then he takes Ronon with him instead and tells Rodney to make a miracle in two seconds.
                            Rodney was the only one that could set the kill switch. It was realisitic for him to remain and Ronon is far better in combat if it was neccesary.

When Rodney warns him that it might not work and that it is complicated then he again yells at him and stupidly asks why the hell it doesn´t work! Shouldn´t he be supportive when he is in command? Any personal issues he might have with Rodney should be put aside.
                            He was supportive and Rodney said it would be simple not complicated. The complications arrose when it didn't work right. I would have been frustrated as well considering attack was imminant.

Why didn´t he take Rodney with him? Ronon could have stayed in Jumper.
                            Press enter to deactivate nanites in Elizabeth´s brain is certainly more simple than to disconnect some generator.
                            Sorry but Rodney is better qualified to do that as it was shown it wasnt that simple.

The episode would be great, but this made me angry. And this episode, I have never really think about it before but I think Sheppard isn´t too good in command. He seemed to me almost panicked in some moments.
                            And as I noticed, he doesn´t have much respect. Ronon and Rodney constantly argue with him and he helps their complains by stupid decisions
                            WHAT?! Sheppard is great in command and when did Ronon argue with him? Ronon supports Shep and the only instance I can think of is when Ronon said make the call. It was difficult for him to do that but they didn't argue. Rodney and Shep get into it from time to time but that's not a big deal and what stupid decisions? He made all the right calls some being very difficult for him.

And Rodney? As much as I love, do they have to write him like this? I hope, really, really hope, that this episode will end this. It should be like the official end of S3 and bad writing and next week should start good writing and S4. I hope.

I hope I didn´t touch anyone too much, but this is how I see it, sorry.
                            Sorry I don't see it. This episode was not written badly at all.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by technoextreme View Post
                              Sheppard doesn't trust McKay because McKay helped convince Sheppard to help him blow up an entire solar system. I also think it partially has to do with the fact that in that situation Weir a million times more informed about the effectiveness of the anti replicator shield than McKay.
                              That too. It's gonna take time to develop that trust again and it didn't help when he put the whole city at risk. I thought both Adrift and Lifeline were done very well and a great start to the season. I love the new planet and the night vis effects are pretty sweet.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                Well that was on their original city ship which got destroyed. They may have redesigned slightly on their new one, if they even built a new one.

That is true. Though i also thought this 'city' was a lot different from the one we saw in Progeny. heck i saw lots of greenery (land mass) around it and between the buildings.

Originally posted by Freek View Post
                                One question though: At the end Zelenka says the Asurans are launching a "massive fleet". How can this happen since their fleet has just been blown up by the Apollo?
                                Perhaps A) they had more ships being built than what we saw in First strike, and B) they are fast builders.. Heck they managed to rebuild the central spire control room in the return part 2 very quickly..

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                                Loved John standing in Weir's old spot on the balcony probably just letting it all sink in. But I could have done without Carter arriving to interrupt him. .
                                IIRC it was Carter standing outside, and Shep came out..

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                                As well, notice how she commanded Mckay to lower the shield. As if she was already in command. I think tptb or the directors forgot that she doesn't become leader until the next episode.
                                IMO that was cause she was the senior military persn there, and as such she had temp command.

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                I wonder if the Wraith are going to think this is the Ancients returning to fight them after 10,000. Other than the nanites swimming around their organic parts theyre indistinguishable from the ancients. Id bet this stops the wraith civil war and and leads to a wraith asuran war with all the helpless human worlds looking up and saying 'whew'. I am assuming wraith cant feed on asurans despite them being technorganic? .

I could easily see this stopping the wraith civil war and them going back to a full on war time footing with many more planets getting totally culled out.. And as to the feeding.. Not sure..

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post
                                Hmm, Oberorth has a grudging respect for Elizabeth. Could she somehow use that?

Ha, fake John, Rodney and Ronon smirking at Obertoth.

Elizabeth's last order! And John listened.
                                I would hope that oberath now shows more respect to wier cause of it. And that smirk when she was faking out oberath was well worth it. As to the last order, imo that was the only tear jerky moment in the ep.

Originally posted by watcher652 View Post
                                Whenever John sits in the command chair, it always seems like there should be something more happening. I realize John is using his mind to control the city, but I wish there would be some dialog or graphics or something showing that John is somehow engaged with the city. When we saw what Elizabeth saw earlier when she first made contact with the Replicator city was the first time we could imagine what it might be like for John.
                                I too would like them to show us more of what is going on, and i also wonder why the chair constantly spins around like it did..

Comment

Working...
                                X