This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
    Ok people, Ronon's fear is not being buried alive!

The started out like this:

Ronon realized he was alone in Atlantis (abandonment issues, fear of losing them), then he's in the jungle with Wraith shooting at him (He's a Runner again).

EvilShepard was only *in* the dream and showing his fears. He isn't necessary apart of it and therefore him burying Ronon is his own actions, not Ronon's fear.

Of course, after the events with his fellow Satedans, it could be Ronon's fear of being betrayed.
    The concept is that Evil Sheppard does things in the dreams to play on people's fears. Now the buried alive thing may not relate to a plain and simple fear of being buried alive, but it is definitely something that provokes a fear response in Ronon... perhaps to being betrayed/trapped/in an enclosed space/unable to get away...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      i find it strange that there is almost a fifty fifty split between people who thought this ep was totally great and original and those who thought it was dumb and generic.
      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Why would that be strange?
      P-90, I've got to repeat Falcon's question - why is it strange?

And it's not strange - it means that what used to be a dissatisfied minority is now making up approximately half of the show's fans. Not great. But what do TPTB care, they just got s5 pick-up, right? Woohoo for 100 episodes and money-making syndication!

Comment

Strange; I see the people who enjoyed the episode being in the majority; at least in this thread.

Biases could blind you, you know (yes, including me).

Comment

I bet the marjority vote on the Gateworld home page will be "Outstanding!" regardless of any complaints voiced here.

I wouldn't say that the split is anywhere near even, but it does seem to be one of those "you either love it or you hate it" eps. More so than usual. Personally I hated it. Even disregarding all the ripping off it did of SG-1 it took a not very original idea and did virtually nothing new with it. All a matter of opinion, of course, but the way I look at it Doppelganger was a creative failure and I don't care if it looked pretty or had great camera work because the STORY was crap. That's like saying that it's okay if that guy murdered all those people and dismembered the corpses because at least he looked good doing it and cleaned up when he was done.

Heh. OK, it's nothing like that, but I think both statements are equally ridiculous unless you're looking for excuses to say good things about something and that's the best you can come up with. That isn't ridiculous, it's just sad.

And yes, I can say that with a straight face while still squeeing about Lorne and his blinky eyes and nekkid feet because I'm not using him to try and justify Doppelganger into being a good ep, I'm simply enjoying the character for his own sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowmaat
            I bet the marjority vote on the Gateworld home page will be "Outstanding!" regardless of any complaints voiced here.
            is it that hard to imagine that most people disagree with you and liked the episode?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Originally posted by BoyNamedSue
              Fangirl/boy-ing becomes a problem when a character is designed specifically to fulfil that purpose. Is Sheppard just a window-dressing? Is Ronon there so the drooling women would watch SGA? They are there so the fanboys can identify with them.
              Proof to me that Keller was "designed" to fulfil that purpose.
              Well, why wasn't Beckett replaced with, hmmm I don't know, a short, bolding, middle-aged white male?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post

I wouldn't say that the split is anywhere near even, but it does seem to be one of those "you either love it or you hate it" eps. More so than usual. Personally I hated it. Even disregarding all the ripping off it did of SG-1 it took a not very original idea and did virtually nothing new with it. All a matter of opinion, of course, but the way I look at it Doppelganger was a creative failure and I don't care if it looked pretty or had great camera work because the STORY was crap. That's like saying that it's okay if that guy murdered all those people and dismembered the corpses because at least he looked good doing it and cleaned up when he was done.

Heh. OK, it's nothing like that, but I think both statements are equally ridiculous unless you're looking for excuses to say good things about something and that's the best you can come up with. That isn't ridiculous, it's just sad.

And yes, I can say that with a straight face while still squeeing about Lorne and his blinky eyes and nekkid feet because I'm not using him to try and justify Doppelganger into being a good ep, I'm simply enjoying the character for his own sake.
                Careful Shadow, your cynical side is showing. Besides who cares if the majority here vote it's outstanding. If people don't think Evil Shep was just hot, then they're entitled to say so. But if they don't then that's their fault, isn't it. If they want their thoughts reflected, then they have to make an effort. Or maybe lots of people... brace yourself Shadow... actually thought this was a fab ep! There were even some squee worthy parts for you, Shadow, so it couldn't be all bad.

Comment

dreams are vastly open to interpretation. one take on being buried alive is that you feel stuck or trapped, like in a bad marriage or job (or maybe just being buried alive

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNamedSue View Post
                    Well, why wasn't Beckett replaced with, hmmm I don't know, a short, bolding, middle-aged white male?
                    Why wasn't he replaced with a 12 foot tall walking pink dragon? Your argument is specious.. just because the new CMO is female, doesn't ipso facto mean that, as you are trying to claim, the writers created the new CMO solely with the intent of attracting/pleasing fanboys with her "T&A". (Also, usually when writers are trying to use the T&A factor to please fans, they dress the character in outfits that actually show the T&A.)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                      is it that hard to imagine that most people disagree with you and liked the episode?
                      Nope, not at all. But I find it very amusing when episodes score high regardless of how much complaining is done.

Comment

It's not actually scoring that high, mind you. The "Outstanding"...uh...bar, I suppose, is shorter than the one for Lifeline, I think.

No matter; I still think it was a brilliant episode.

Comment

The started out like this:

Ronon realized he was alone in Atlantis (abandonment issues, fear of losing them), then he's in the jungle with Wraith shooting at him (He's a Runner again).

EvilShepard was only *in* the dream and showing his fears. He isn't necessary apart of it and therefore him burying Ronon is his own actions, not Ronon's fear.

Of course, after the events with his fellow Satedans, it could be Ronon's fear of being betrayed.
                          it could be as simple as dying alone
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think it was because there was virtually no UST on the show, as hard as everyone involved struggled to spark some, and they were desperate to generate some m/f chemistry somewhere...so they evened up the balance of male to female stars in the hope that by the end of season 4, there'd be at least one potential pairing on the show more popular than McKay/Sheppard...

Comment

McKay/Sheppard will never be surpassed as most popular pairing... It will most likely get worse/more popular (depends on the likings of the person).

I already have a hard time finding my fave pairings in between all the McShep. It's everywhere.

Btw, I'm still torn between loving this ep (cause I have my squee- & thudmoments) and hating it (for what happens to Kate).
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Robert Picardo already has a role on the show, and Don Davis retired.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana
                                My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Working...
                                X