Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Least of my complaints was that Doppelganger was a filler episode.

The cast-cutting axe fell yet again with the death of a minor character. These forced changes in the show that the producers love to afflict aren't needed. With the addition of Ronan, the old cast was absolutely perfect.

None of the cast members had any purpose in the episode. People just did things to stuff - it was THAT bland. It was probably the most formulaic hour of programming I have ever watched in the life of the Stargate Franchise. Shephard's little make-believe Matrix style jump from the balcony was a little cringe inducing if I may say so.

Whatever they were trying to pull off ...just didn't get pulled off.

These cast rotations and changes is just poor judgement. Even though I really do love the whole SG-1 cast, Tori Higginson would forever be perfect in her role. I am reminded of Weir talking to Shephard (I think) in the second or so season, fortelling that it was only a matter of time before the Atlantis expedition would come under military government. To my eyes, it just looked like the producers were trying to give themselves an out, to stir the pot when THEY became bored with the series - NOT US. And was evident to me that Doppelganger proved a lot of people are becoming bored with the show.

Doppelganger - it was a poor idea. Poorly written. Weak acting. The episode is just one great example where NO ONE was on their "A" game.

This episode didn't have to be as big as Arthur Fonzarelli ski jumping a big shark. But by the end of Doppelganger, it just felt like the show had the wind knocked out of itself. Four shows into the new season and the series feels like it's had the wind knocked out of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson View Post
      Lockdown: The entity went from person to person kinda like Anubis in Lockdown. Anubis invaded a person's body through physical contact.

Message in a Bottle: Because when they had the crystal in the lab. It kinda reminded me of the orb in MIAB when they were studying in the lab in the SGC.
      Ah okay. I'll give ya Lockdown because that's a fairly specific event but didn't they bring things home to study it quite often? I think that might be too generic a reference as that's standard fare on a scifi show...the the heroes bring something back with them and it ends up biting them in the butt in the end.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I love stargate atlantis. I was disappointed with this last episode. Things seems forced. I like Carter but she doesn't fit in. I miss elizabeth and Carson. I don't know why they got rid of the two characters that I feel made atlantis feel like home. I hope it gets better.

Comment

Loved this episode. I loved seeing Lorne again! The Shep--McKay scenes were awesome. Flanigan and Hewlett have great chemistry and I never tire of watching them. I loved the scene where Shep compares the entity crystal to "that toy like the one you played with as a kid......." and McKay names some kind of videogame (?) and Ronon names a gun. Sorry to see Kate go.
          I liked the scene where Keller speaks gleefully about having the entity trapped, and Shep replying how that doesn't bode well for Rodney. The way Flanigan delivers that line, along with the "it's in Rodney?" line was great. As someone said earlier, I liked how Rodney was more matter-of-fact about discovering that the entity was in him----his attitude was more, "This blows!" than hysteria. Finally, McKay's admission to puking on his high school date during Alien and Ronon proclaiming that he must see that film.......priceless

Wilson3Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson3Girl View Post
            ...and McKay names some kind of videogame (?)...
            That would be Commodore 64, which isn't a videogame but in fact an old prehistoric computer. My aunt used to have one, it was fun playing with it.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by markaudette View Post

The cast-cutting axe fell yet again with the death of a minor character. These forced changes in the show that the producers love to afflict aren't needed. With the addition of Ronan, the old cast was absolutely perfect.

None of the cast members had any purpose in the episode. People just did things to stuff - it was THAT bland. It was probably the most formulaic hour of programming I have ever watched in the life of the Stargate Franchise. Shephard's little make-believe Matrix style jump from the balcony was a little cringe inducing if I may say so.

These cast rotations and changes is just poor judgement. Even though I really do love the whole SG-1 cast, Tori Higginson would forever be perfect in her role. I am reminded of Weir talking to Shephard (I think) in the second or so season, fortelling that it was only a matter of time before the Atlantis expedition would come under military government. To my eyes, it just looked like the producers were trying to give themselves an out, to stir the pot when THEY became bored with the series - NOT US. And was evident to me that Doppelganger proved a lot of people are becoming bored with the show.

Doppelganger - it was a poor idea. Poorly written. Weak acting. The episode is just one great example where NO ONE was on their "A" game.

This episode didn't have to be as big as Arthur Fonzarelli ski jumping a big shark. But by the end of Doppelganger, it just felt like the show had the wind knocked out of itself. Four shows into the new season and the series feels like it's had the wind knocked out of itself.
              I suppose you do have valid points there, especially the cast-cutting, it's a tiresome affair, by the time this season ends, all we would have left are, Sheppard, Ronan, Teyla, McKay & Carter.

I still don't understand why they cut Torri Higginson out.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                But did it have to be Kate? No, not at all... *pout* *sulk* *sniff*
                *hugs* I'm sorry hon. I think... don't quote me on this. But if it was just some random person that we'd never met, would anyone give a flying fig? They showed some random person dying in Echoes, and I have to say, I just went meh. So, I think that's a contributing factor.

Originally posted by markaudette View Post
                I know a few people have said this was a filler, personally I don't see anything wrong with that. From my perspective, if you have a show that's a constant arc, it really doesn't allow for new viewers to jump in, particularly when it's had 3 previous seasons. You can have a tentative story arc throughout the season, which shows for great continuity, and I love that. But for someone new coming on board, if everything is arced... is that a word? LOL then how can someone just jump on board? Personally speaking this wasn't a filler, it was a character based story incorporated within an arc, and we happened to learn a lot about each of the characters, and varying races, and it provided an update with regards to the situation with the Wraith/Asurans. So, not a filler from my perspective. A filler, I would personally define as an episode while good, doesn't allow the viewer to learn about past/future episodes, nor does it allow for any character development per se. So, how would you define a 'filler episode'?

How do you know it was forced?

What do you mean by purpose? Sorry I know I might be a bit dense at times, but I honestly don't know what you mean when you say... people just did stuff...

As for the Sheppard part... er it was a non corporeal entity and therefore isn't governed by the natural laws of physics. I thought personally it was a great way of emphasising it's abilities/strengths, and not to mention it was very hot... Sorry the fangirl in me slipped out.

To be honest, the cast rotations and changes don't really have anything to do with the episode itself, does it?

I disagree, this ep allowed us to see people's fears and concerns, and develp the characters more, of which a lot of people have said they've wanted. Again I disagree with your assessment of the actig, I think everyone was in character and on top form in this. Obviously you disagree.

Originally posted by Wilson3Girl View Post
                Loved this episode. I loved seeing Lorne again! The Shep--McKay scenes were awesome. Flanigan and Hewlett have great chemistry and I never tire of watching them. I loved the scene where Shep compares the entity crystal to "that toy like the one you played with as a kid......." and McKay names some kind of videogame (?) and Ronon names a gun. Sorry to see Kate go.
                I liked the scene where Keller speaks gleefully about having the entity trapped, and Shep replying how that doesn't bode well for Rodney. The way Flanigan delivers that line, along with the "it's in Rodney?" line was great. As someone said earlier, I liked how Rodney was more matter-of-fact about discovering that the entity was in him----his attitude was more, "This blows!" than hysteria. Finally, McKay's admission to puking on his high school date during Alien and Ronon proclaiming that he must see that film.......priceless

Wilson3Girl
                I suddenly feel really old. The Commodore 64 was one of the first home computers in the early 80's I think it was, alongside the spectrum and Atari. And the beauty of that wonderful PC was being able to make up your own games...

Ah the good old days of Donkey Kong, Asteroids and Ghostbusters.... I digress.

ETA: For all the youngsters if they want to know about the C64

You know you're getting old when your first computer is in the museum.
                Last edited by Pegasus_SGA; 20 October 2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I dont really get the whole "filler" ep thing. I mean there are the money saving eps, you know the ones they used to have in every show (the flashback shows every show had) I always thought THOSE were "fillers". But what is "filler" about an episodic TV show having a stand alone episode?

This is not Babylon 5 or 24 or Lost or some soap opera like Battlestar galactica this is an episodic explore the galaxy type show. For a show like this it should be something new each week with a little overall arc that plays out slowly over time as the "each week" stuff happens. This is the formula of Stargate when it was awesome, this is the formula of startrek when it was good this is what this show was setup as. Now if they could just do some more actual exploring like this week the show should get a S5. If it gets bogged down in some stupid, taking itself too seriously arc then it will be cancelled just like the later SG-1 and Enterprise were (didnt enterprise get better right before cancellation, after they ditched the stupid time war arc thing?).
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                    But if it was just some random person that we'd never met, would anyone give a flying fig?
                    *has visual of flying fig* Frak, I should photoshop that. LOL!!

Errm...anyway...

They showed some random person dying in Echoes, and I have to say, I just went meh. So, I think that's a contributing factor.
                    I hate to say it but I think Kate fits the description of the flying fig just as easily. If I have to go by the 500+ posts I've seen here so far. Half of them can't remember who she is, write her name wrong (it's a petpeeve, can't help it) or just seem to have ignored her completely.

Yeah, she fits the fig.

*and there's another visual*

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      *has visual of flying fig* Frak, I should photoshop that. LOL!!

Errm...anyway...
                      that could be disturbing... do you really want that image to be your last memory of Doctor Kate Heightmeyer?

Mind you, her falling thousands of feet to her death kinda takes the edge of that.

I'm not helping am I?

I hate to say it but I think Kate fits the description of the flying fig just as easily. If I have to go by the 500+ posts I've seen here so far. Half of them can't remember who she is, write her name wrong (it's a petpeeve, can't help it) or just seem to have ignored her completely.

Yeah, she fits the fig.

*and there's another visual*
                      Oh I don't know, FH, I remember quite a few people throughout the threads mentioning it early on. All of them saying poor FH to, so I don't think she was just some random character, particularly as we'd seen her a fair few times.

The name thing, is that why you've put it on your sig? Smart move.

Comment

that could be disturbing... do you really want that image to be your last memory of Doctor Kate Heightmeyer?
                        Nope, not really. Thank you.

Mind you, her falling thousands of feet to her death kinda takes the edge of that.
                        And the visual of the flying fig just got that extra spice. (oh, if this should work the way I see it in my head )

I'm not helping am I?
                        Not so much.

Oh I don't know, FH, I remember quite a few people throughout the threads mentioning it early on. All of them saying poor FH to, so I don't think she was just some random character, particularly as we'd seen her a fair few times.
                        Yes, I do admit to that too... Thank you all for your sympathy. Mucho appreciated and it's okay to say you were lucky it wasn't your favorite character that had to take the fall and bite the dust (possibly pun intended). Though I do feel that Kate's death is the turning point in the episode. Ha, she was important to the episode. (or am I just projecting? )

And we've seen her 4 times before (The Gift, Duet, Michael & Echoes).

The name thing, is that why you've put it on your sig? Smart move.
                        Err...sorta. Though it's something that is more a general pet peeve. After 4 seasons one should at least know how to write the character's names, right?

If you don't know how to write HEIGHTMEYER, just say Kate... There was only one after all.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                          (didnt enterprise get better right before cancellation, after they ditched the stupid time war arc thing?).
                          season 1 of ENT was bad and the show got worse in s2 so many people stopped watching. then they thought they could keep the show on air and get people back by doing the time war arc in s3 which got them another season. however they already knew that there wouldn't be a s5 so in s4 we finally got to see the good stuff (also I think there were totally different writers involved in s4 than in the previous seasons)! basically it went from bad to worse then to better and then to good
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JackHarkness_Hot View Post
                            I still don't understand why they cut Torri Higginson out.
                            I predict she will return for season 5 (assuming there is one).
                            sigpic
                            FOX Network

Comment

Not a knock your socks off episode, but entertaining.

The good:

I'm liking Dr. Keller.
                              Rodney hardly annoyed me at all.
                              Carter seems to be fitting in nicely.
                              Ronan and Teyla got something to do!

The Bad:
                              I was thinking Cold Lazarus the second we saw the "crystal vision."
                              The new uniforms are terrible. IMHO. They'd do better with looser jackets.
                              ETA: I mention the uniforms b/c they distract from the episode. I sit there saying, "ew, I really don't like those jackets" instead of being caught up in the show.

Comment

Like the title says, i just didn't give a rat's @ss about this episode. I "watched" it live, it's in quotations because i messing around on the internet while i watched it. Then i watched it again on the trusty ol' TIVO, and the feeling was the same, i just didn't care.

As stated in other threads, it might be because i feel no connection to the characters, or there may be other reasons i can't quite grasp. On second thought, i do know what the reason is, it's that the writers can't write horror at all. Not that any horror movies have ever gotten to but they just really need to give it up and focus on better stories.

Watching these eps makes me think of movies like Battlefield Earth, do you think the writers, directors, and producers sit there and think, "wow this the best we could make it, i just don't think it could get any better than this!!!" Or, do you think they actually know that what they have created is a steaming pile. Because i just don't see how they can think this quality material.

just my two cents, but probably not worth that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X