Weir in Adrift and Lifeline (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I thought about it too the moment the shield went up... I wrote it off as major plothole.

But it could be that the nanites they used were somehow imune to it due to some tampering by Rodney himself, yet the flaw in that being the link with the Asuran hive-mind. -> What you said...
    That's possibly one explanation that Rodney adjusted Elizabeth's nanites so she wasn't affected by the AR field.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Well, you have to actually pass through the field / get hit by it for it to work and Elizabeth never went through the field. If I recall correctly when Rodney initiated the field it appeared around the outside of the jumper and then he extended it outwards through the control tower.
    The thing is she did go through the field, and not only that, but the AR field protected the team right up to the barrier. So, while yes those coming through from the other side into the field would be obliterated. For Elizabeth she was already IN the field and therefore it should have affected her to, again, unless Rodney amended her nanites. But would he have had time to single her out to do it, and wouldn't it have affected the others given her link to them? I know they hadn't merged at that time, but she was aware of their prescence and they hers so.... still confused and it's bugging my brain now.
    Last edited by Pegasus_SGA; 24 September 2007, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
      T...still confused and it's bugging my brain now.
      *joins in the confusion* Thank you very much for that.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

*joins in the confusion* Thank you very much for that.
        sorry. There's probably a perfectly good explanation for it, like Rodney amending the nanites so that they wouldn't affect Elizabeth. But, oh man, i'm hanging around Integ too much. (He's obviously a bad influence on me) but wouldn't Rodney have said that he amended it?

Okay i'm shutting up now, lol, i'll ask JM when it officially airs.

Comment

... i'll ask JM when it officially airs.
          Now, there's an idea.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

sorry. There's probably a perfectly good explanation for it, like Rodney amending the nanites so that they wouldn't affect Elizabeth. But, oh man, i'm hanging around Integ too much. (He's obviously a bad influence on me) but wouldn't Rodney have said that he amended it?

Okay i'm shutting up now, lol, i'll ask JM when it officially airs.

Great minds think alike Peggy . It was normal for you to join the Dark Side . I think we could teach the writers a thing or two . Of course that is a huge plot hoooole . That hole looks like the Grand Canyon

Comment

Now, there's an idea.

Good or bad? Who knows...Last time a very interesting question (about Janet) was posed at one of these SG reunions one of the producers started to "moan" about Teryl Rothery's, Janet's to be more precise, mom and dad for 5 minutes and when the whole audience was captivated, he said he lied and that he could not answer. So I highly doubt we will get anywhere by asking the producers.

That's possibly one explanation that Rodney adjusted Elizabeth's nanites so she wasn't affected by the AR field.
              ...and he did this when?

At the same time when he programmed the nanites to heal her, fixed Atlantis, and tried to kill her?

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                Great minds think alike Peggy . It was normal for you to join the Dark Side . I think we could teach the writers a thing or two . Of course that is a huge plot hoooole . That hole looks like the Grand Canyon
                Do you have cookies over there? Hehehe, there's probably a perfectly logical reason for it... she says confidently. I just don't know what that is.

I mean technically it could be that during the trip to the control tower where they could access the ZPM, Rodney realised that it might affect Weir, so en-route he tampered with the nanites base code, thus making her immune to the field. And plausibly she could have run out of the jumper and managed to get through the field when they were allready immune...

I just need to know now,

Comment

Good or bad? Who knows...Last time a very interesting question (about Janet) was posed at one of these SG reunions one of the producers started to "moan" about Teryl Rothery's, Janet's to be more precise, mom and dad for 5 minutes and when the whole audience was captivated, he said he lied and that he could not answer. So I highly doubt we will get anywhere by asking the producers.

...and he did this when?

At the same time when he programmed the nanites to heal her, fixed Atlantis, and tried to kill her?
                  But it would be fun to try and get an answer. I can be quite persistant ya know.

Comment

The thing is she did go through the field, and not only that, but the AR field protected the team right up to the barrier. So, while yes those coming through from the other side into the field would be obliterated. For Elizabeth she was already IN the field and therefore it should have affected her to, again, unless Rodney amended her nanites. But would he have had time to single her out to do it, and wouldn't it have affected the others given her link to them? I know they hadn't merged at that time, but she was aware of their prescence and they hers so.... still confused and it's bugging my brain now.
                    When did Elizabeth go through the field? I've only seen it once so I might have missed it. Actually I think we'd better clarify terms; when I say go through the field I mean through the boundary. I'm working on the principle that the field is only active/dangerous on it's perimeter (like force fields).

I'm not sure but we seem to be operating under different premises, are you working on the principle that anything inside the boundary of the field is dangerous?
                    -

Comment

But it would be fun to try and get an answer. I can be quite persistant ya know.
                      You gonna whip poor JM . He will give you what ever answer you wish. He will even tell you that the furlings had something do to with it. Oh wait, no...it was magnets!!!!! (roflmao)

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                        When did Elizabeth go through the field? I've only seen it once so I might have missed it. Actually I think we'd better clarify terms; when I say go through the field I mean through the boundary. I'm working on the principle that the field is only active/dangerous on it's perimeter (like force fields).

I'm not sure but we seem to be operating under different premises, are you working on the principle that anything inside the boundary of the field is dangerous?
                        It was when she was in the jumper telling Rodney that the replicators were trying to breach the barrier. It's possible that they already did (breach the field), by the time she went through it, but it's still the question for me of why she wasn't affected by the field being inside it.

If you're hypothosizing that it only affects them if they come into contact with the field, then that's certainly a possibility, but why then have a shield that completely surrounds you and uses up a tonne of energy consumption, when a simply barrier would suffice? For me a shield protects everything within field, so her nanites should have been affected whether she breached it or not, because isn't the shield supposed to protect you from everything in and around like the scene in
                        Spoiler:
                        The return when McKay activated the field and everything inside it was obliterated.
                        and I assumed... maybe wrongly that this would work along the same principles.

You gonna whip poor JM . He will give you what ever answer you wish. He will even tell you that the furlings had something do to with it. Oh wait, no...it was magnets!!!!! (roflmao)
                        No, whipping doesn't work with Mr M, i'll try and bribe him with cookies instead.

I'm getting like a dog with a bone on this point. Someone please tell me to shut up and just enjoy the storyline (which I thoroughly enjoyed and sniffled at btw)

Comment

No, whipping doesn't work with Mr M, i'll try and bribe him with cookies instead.

What if he bribes you with something you really like? Will you take no for an answer? You say you are persistent....maybe John will come without a t-shirt, what will you do then? Hehehe, you will forget what you wanted to ask .

You assumed right . McKay did the same thing he did in the Return. He just neglected the fact that there were more replicators than in Atlantis and that they were not all hit at the same time . Such a BORG thing, innit? 7 of 9 " We are Borg, we will adapt "

Comment

What if he bribes you with something you really like? Will you take no for an answer? You say you are persistent....maybe John will come without a t-shirt, what will you do then? Hehehe, you will forget what you wanted to ask .
                            Who says I can't get both? I have remarkable powers of persuasion ya know.

You assumed right . McKay did the same thing he did in the Return. He just neglected the fact that there were more replicators than in Atlantis and that they were not all hit at the same time . Such a BORG thing, innit? 7 of 9 " We are Borg, we will adapt "
                            Ah but weren't they tied in to the shield generators at that time? So I can understand how the priciples of this might be different, so i'm willing to hang far for now on going to the dark side. I will never be assimilated, i'm an individual who's got a very big mouth and is not afraid to assert her individuality. Adapt I can do though.

Comment

Who says I can't get both? I have remarkable powers of persuasion ya know.

Ah but weren't they tied in to the shield generators at that time? So I can understand how the priciples of this might be different, so i'm willing to hang far for now on going to the dark side. I will never be assimilated, i'm an individual who's got a very big mouth and is not afraid to assert her individuality. Adapt I can do though.

...an adapt you shall . One has to compromise in this world. You cannot have both. Shirtless Sheppard or answer to a huge plot hole .

McKay focused on the shield generator because in "Return part deux" he claimed that the only way to defeat them is to hit them at once. The problem arises here . In both Return part deux and First Strike the shield is raised gradually and not at the same time in the whole city . So our SGA borg drones were supposed to adapt but they didn't because the conditions for McKay's plan to work needed to be fulfilled . We found another Canyon .

Comment

It was when she was in the jumper telling Rodney that the replicators were trying to breach the barrier. It's possible that they already did (breach the field), by the time she went through it, but it's still the question for me of why she wasn't affected by the field being inside it.

If you're hypothosizing that it only affects them if they come into contact with the field, then that's certainly a possibility, but why then have a shield that completely surrounds you and uses up a tonne of energy consumption, when a simply barrier would suffice? For me a shield protects everything within field, so her nanites should have been affected whether she breached it or not, because isn't the shield supposed to protect you from everything in and around like the scene in
                                Spoiler:
                                The return when McKay activated the field and everything inside it was obliterated.

I'm getting like a dog with a bone on this point. Someone please tell me to shut up and just enjoy the storyline (which I thoroughly enjoyed and sniffled at btw)
                                Not sure I'm following you, Elizabeth didn't go through the field when she was in the jumper. Didn't the field get generated around the outside of the jumper and then get extended outwards?

I'm curious too, how they meant the shield to work because I only assumed (yes a dangerous action ) it was like a force field because of the way they showed it visually, only replicators touching the outer edge seemed to be affected and hence Elizabeth being unaffected. Now knowing the writers propensity for not thinking the tech through to the nth degree like some of us fans do, they probably haven't given it the same amount of thought that we have. The writers are also known to rewrite tech (and characters) to fit the plot (and explode hypothesizing fans brains, it's part of their evil plan dontcha know )

When you say simple barrier what do you mean? I see a field that is only active on it's boundary as a simple barrier requiring a lot less power than something that encompasses the entire volume of the field. Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm just trying to see how you are seeing the tech, words are a bugger give me a diagram any day!

Good luck with getting a straight answer out of JM, though bribing him with chocolates may be more beneficial than cookies.
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X