Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well on a sort of brighter side, after this monumental mess by skiffy they OWE SGA a season 5, if nothing else since this could affect ratings negatively and screw everything up.
    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
      Well on a sort of brighter side, after this monumental mess by skiffy they OWE SGA a season 5, if nothing else since this could affect ratings negatively and screw everything up.
      While a cynical part of me whispered, "Sabotage," I'm guessing that this little slip up probably won't have much effect on the ratings.

Like illegal downloading, I think the only people who are hardcore are fans who would watch the show live anyway. Most of us are pretty anal about that I think. I really don't think that those who have Nielsen boxes fit the profile of the uber-SG fan who's going to turn the Internet upside down looking for unaired eps.

Hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
        Bottom line, if he's a showrunner, he should be keeping a closer eye on what's going out. They should have copies of the press kits, which they should look at, to make sure the content is correct. The blame goes to a bunch of people.

Two unfinished eps going out is pathetic. One is bad enough, but two? Someone at Bridge should have been looking at the press kits too. It's their livelihood. To just assume that everything's going to be fine is extremely naive.
        Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
        It doesn't work like that in the industry. Joe's job is to run the show, not deal with DVD releases, artwork, airing schedules, promotion, etc. For a show like SGA, you are dealing with THOUSANDS of parts - production, MGM, Skiffy, etc etc etc. For any broadcast show there are people who work in theory for the same show and never meet or interact or need to know what each other does. At that level its understood (well supposed to be) a well oiled machine that works professionally at the highest level.

The kits would have come from LA or NY, not Vancouver. Its Skiffy's job to deal with promotion correctly. And as a major cable network, with a parent company of NBC/GE it should be competent to deal with such a task correctly. But it wasn't. Its a screw up on the corporate side, not the creative side. A press kit is not something Joe would have any say/control over, let alone see before it goes out.
        Uhhhh..... what she said^. Joe has no control over the promotional side of things.. that is handled by the network and one SHOULD be able to trust a major network to be able to competently manage their business. It's not Joe's JOB to check up on SciFi's promotional work and, even if he did, he can't do much to alter it... People in the past have complained on Joe's blog about e.g. problems with the promo ads aired on SciFi and Joe has clarified that he has no control over stuff like that.

It's like... I work in the sales/project management area of my company.... if the finance department send out an invoice incorrectly and annoy my clients, it's a real problem for me but I can't check the invoices before they go out - it's not my job, not my responsibility and I'm supposed to be concentrating on doing my job and trust the finance dept to do theirs. By your interpretation, if my client walks away because the finance department did something wrong, that makes it my fault too because I should have checked the invoice because it's important and that by blaming the finance department I am passing the buck...?

You can only pass the buck if the buck stopped with you in the first place...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          really? Adrift was a tragedy. I've never seen worse season opener. Too much talking. Nothing interesting happened
          i couldn't agree more .... i expected much more
          VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

What we need in Atlantis?
            Spoiler:
            The Asgard beaming technology for red shirts and a Goa'uld sarcophagus / Tok'Ra healing agent for other characters.
            Last edited by Platschu; 13 September 2007, 03:59 AM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
              i couldn't agree more .... i expected much more
              what more it's a city
              Spoiler:
              without power so all they can do is talk and do space walk's since nothing else is working or only just working

anyway i really liked the puddle jumper scene can't wait to see the completed thing
              Last edited by Skydiver; 13 September 2007, 04:33 AM.

Comment

PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN TALKING ABOUT THE PLOT OF THE AS-YET UNAIRED EPISODES!

Thanks awfully.
                sigpic

Comment

You know my old broken brain says, all these "mistakes" hopefully is causing extra publicity. I know hardcore fans are talking about the leak, hey I have to my friends and that has peaked a couple of people's interest - so I am going to hold out hope. Until I see anything different.
                  sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                    Uhhhh..... what she said^. Joe has no control over the promotional side of things.. that is handled by the network and one SHOULD be able to trust a major network to be able to competently manage their business. It's not Joe's JOB to check up on SciFi's promotional work and, even if he did, he can't do much to alter it... People in the past have complained on Joe's blog about e.g. problems with the promo ads aired on SciFi and Joe has clarified that he has no control over stuff like that.
                    although I don't always agree with what JM says and does on the internet, no, he has nothing to do with the PR except for doing appearances at Comic Con and the like. There are these highly paid folk in marketing who should be putting out photos without one person having three hands, not releasing unfinished videos, etc. They should, however, be pushing SGA in the press, and either the reviewers are overwhelmed with the network crud, or they don't care, as little has shown up. One can only hope in the few days leading up to season 4 we'll see some reviews. And wouldn't it be a scream if a reviewer went "Budget must be tight on the show this year. No music, no credits. Need to supply own background music. Let's see, what did Britney Spears just release..."

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                    I don't see the 'leak' messing anything up. The *vast* majority of folks aren't going to see the leaked versions or don't know they exist. With the advent of all these big screen HD tvs, who would want to watch it on a PC. If anything, it's free advertising as it's got many fans talking. And hey, you know, no music... sorta like those couple ads we saw with no music either.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      I don't see the 'leak' messing anything up. The *vast* majority of folks aren't going to see the leaked versions or don't know they exist. With the advent of all these big screen HD tvs, who would want to watch it on a PC. If anything, it's free advertising as it's got many fans talking. And hey, you know, no music... sorta like those couple ads we saw with no music either.
                      I think the issue is more to do with SciFi sending out rough cut versions in the press packs. It's hardly going to encourage the press to write positive reviews and encourage casual viewers to tune in if the version they've seen wasn't even properly finished.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think the issue is more to do with SciFi sending out rough cut versions in the press packs. It's hardly going to encourage the press to write positive reviews and encourage casual viewers to tune in if the version they've seen wasn't even properly finished.
                        Exactly. What are press kits for? To get press, but more importantly good press. You are going to be judged, so you send out your best. I am flabbergasted by this. Seriously, Sci Fi should hire me

sigpic
                        www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                        Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

As tempted as I am, I think I'll pass on the leaked version. I'll be busy for the next few days so I probably won't have time to watch it, plus the episode only 15 days away. I think I can wait.
                          Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                          Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                          Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                          --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            I have to agree with Prion. Plus, it doesn't feel like a "finished" episode. I think reasonable people will see that. I thought it felt like a taste, like sneaking a peek before all the pieces were ready. And I'll be watching live on Sep. 28. Can't risk the recorder messing up. Bottom line, even though to me it's not all that rough, it just made me hungrier for the full package.

I'm speaking, btw, as someone who is tired of trying to figure out why Sci-Fi does what it does.

Comment

It was along these lines that I was talking about. If you noticed what JM said, he did say this is not the worst case scenario that happened but it's bad enough. Now imagine how much worse it could have been for SGA. This was real bad incident to happen and I think JM should definitely petition for a new home for SGA because skiffy has proven their incompetance and recklessness.
                              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                                really? Adrift was a tragedy. I've never seen worse season opener. Too much talking. Nothing interesting happened
                                I agree. It was like the Return pt 1. No action, just talking. Lifeline is the one we should be expecting.
                                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                                X