No announcement yet.

Atlantis Cast Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am *not* happy with the announced cast changes at all! Although I still enjoyed Stargate Atlantis very much, I saw their struggles at times but these were definitely *never* due to their current cast.

Maybe they needed to 'shake things up a bit', yet why that necessarily meant kicking out two of their main cast, which IMHO worked really fine, rather than diving into writing more quality stories, which keep the audience on the edge of their seats, certainly escapes me! And the shoddy way in which they dismissed Paul McGillion purely enrages me!

And I want to remind anyone who is thrilled to see Amanda Tapping crossing over heavily, this is Stargate:Atlantis not SG-1! It's certainly nothing personal against the actress, but I never liked or watched SG-1, so I want to keep Atlantis what is used to be: very different from the other format.

Originally posted by J_B View Post
    The problems comes that it doesn't really matter if they are wanted or not! Because Bridge Studios will do what they want to do when they want to do it. It's as simple as that! [snip...]
    You are right, TPTB can do with their characters and their show whatever they want, yet I can do so with my remote control and my hard-earned money, of which I spent a considerate amount on Stargate DVDs etc.

I dearly hope they'll notice the difference in the welfare of their franchise...!
    So if they want me to go on buying their products, they sure as hell need to listen to what we are shouting at them for months:

Bring back our beloved Carson and keep our smart Elizabeth!
    twinchaosblade .......................... ...... ...... ..........................Homepage and FanFic
    sigpic

Comment

Well I liked Beckett, but I think he had a good death and it appeared that the reason for it was to show that nobody is safe, not to replace him with someone else as it would be pointless to do it with such a well liked character. Therefore I can accept what happened with him and move on. However, I'm not all that happy about Weir. She's a character I do enjoy and I feel that this move is in response to a number of people online who complain about her largely in part because she's a women and she makes decisions which do not involve shooting everyone up (even though she has been quite soft in the beginning I've enjoyed watching her grow and adapt to meet the hostile universe that she's been thrust into). That said I'm more than willing to wait and see what they do before complaining and hope that there's a reason for this that does not include her being slowly written off to the point where she's gone by season 5.

Comment

QUOTE=twinchaosblade;6332848]

this is Stargate:Atlantis not SG-1!

Bring back our beloved Carson and keep our smart Elizabeth!
        Spot on it should just be SGA on it's own.

Don't get me wrong I'm more then happy for the odd crossover but not for the long hall. Atlantis should really be it’s own show, it managed fine in season one it can do so again.
        BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

I am not happy with Carter coming over as I doubt tptb can resist making her a huge part of any episode she appears in.

I am OK with losing Carson *sad for Paul but that is the life of an actor* I am so happy about Weir I can't even tell you. Only her death could make me happier.

So 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicktem View Post
            Well I liked Beckett, but I think he had a good death and it appeared that the reason for it was to show that nobody is safe, ...
            That's probably what they were aiming for, yes. Thing is... if nobody's safe, why has anyone in the cast survived this long, in the situations they have been in? Realism bends to the whim of the producers... not the other way around.

:shrug:
            Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
            http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

The fact that there are already 6 threads ( this included ) for this same subject tell us that people is buzzing about changes, but I think ( correct me if I'm wrong ) most of us HATE such changes.

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
                The problems comes that it doesn't really matter if they are wanted or not!
                Totally!

and no i don't want the cast changes at all
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

I am indifferent to the changes. I don't mind if they happen or don't happen, I'll watch the show until it cancels, since I generally like the shows storyline and premise.

This is the same way I felt about X-Files, when they had a whole cast overhaul, it was similar, and come on, the Lone Gunmen were killed. But I sucked it up and still continued to watch the show.

Cast changes are bound to happen, that's the nature of the business and also the way most shows keep fresh stories happening. Soap Operas are not long standing for any other reason. If you have good storyline and you maintain the basic premise then this works.

Further more, it would be unrealistic for everyone from S1 to still be floundering around til the end, wouldn't make the whole mission half as dangerous. Cast members may want a time of leave of their own accord, others may just not be suitable for the direction of where the story is going, but in the end if it's still good...what can you say?

I'm willing to give this a shot, and ride it for all it's worth, I did it for X-Files, and I was far from disappointed (although I didn't like the character of Reyes ).
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------

Just read this..

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                  I am not happy with Carter coming over as I doubt tptb can resist making her a huge part of any episode she appears in.

I am OK with losing Carson *sad for Paul but that is the life of an actor* I am so happy about Weir I can't even tell you. Only her death could make me happier.

So 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
                  Marry me WC, here's a token of my love, say yes!!!

Her statement was too funny not to laugh at!! I agree about Carter, actually, I'm not to fond of her, mainly because I don't like any scene between her and McKay. But since apparently she'll
                  Spoiler:
                  have a ship
                  it keeps my apprehension at bay, and I could be proven wrong in my negative assumptions. So I'm being openminded and will wait, before lemming up the news.

VB
                  Last edited by vaberella; 15 February 2007, 03:55 PM.
                  Click statement above to read article.

Comment

That would be a big NO!

Alot of people argue that killing Carson, especially in a "day at home" episode, added a touch of realism to the show and highlighted the dangers of such an expedition. Hello? I dont watch most tv, much less sci fi, for realism. I watch to escape. SGA has aliens that suck the life force out of people through their fingers, for crying out loud. Where does that stack up on the realism meter? Carson was sacrificed for no good reason. He was well liked by most fans and was an integral part of the team. Unfortunately, what he didn't have was blonde hair and boobs, so bye, bye Carson.

Whether or not Carter is coming over to replace Weir (either figuratively or literally, because heaven forbid the show should have two strong female leader types) is immaterial. Carter doesn't belong on SGA. She has had her day in the sun. Obviously TPTB hope that some SG1 fans who don't currently watch SGA will watch now that Carter is aboard. That's very nice and all, but what about SGA fans who happen to like Weir and don't want to see her kicked to the curb. I guess our voices don't count for very much.

I'm not averse to change, but throwing SGA into a blender, pressing crush and spitting out SG1:Atlantis is not change. Its an insult to the current cast and to the fans. Just another day at the office for TPTB.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                      That would be a big NO!

Alot of people argue that killing Carson, especially in a "day at home" episode, added a touch of realism to the show and highlighted the dangers of such an expedition. Hello? I dont watch most tv, much less sci fi, for realism. I watch to escape. .
                      Agreed. I get enough crap in real life that I'd like some escape. I don't want fluff (or if I want silliness, etc. I watch "Ugly Betty"). I'd like a wel-crafted dramatic episode but I don't want to see characters killed off left and right just to "shake things up".

Comment

Originally posted by Wormhole View Post
                        I’ve seen in a lot of threads that people aren’t happy with the changes (myself included). So I thought I’d bring it down to one question.

Do you want the cast changes?

Me no , as far as I'm concerned there was nothing wrong with what they had and I wish we could have it back to the good old times (Season One).
                        Do I want the Cast changes? No.

However, do the actors who play these characters you like have personal reasons (like RDA) who apparently have their own lives with people like Family and Friends that they need to be with, rather than to always be making TV shows? Apparently, yes.
                        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General View Post
                          Do I want the Cast changes? No.

However, do the actors who play these characters you like have personal reasons (like RDA) who apparently have their own lives with people like Family and Friends that they need to be with, rather than to always be making TV shows? Apparently, yes.
                          ...which is apparently not the case for Carson's death. Quite the contrary, it seems. Paul McGillion was quite shocked by that call, and would have loved to stay on the show.

I don't think anyone really minds RDA choosing to spend time with family. His call, and a good one at that. Yes, we would have liked him there, but his family is more important than any number of fans. The fuss comes when the producers make arbitrary changes for no good reason. Again, see Carson.
                          Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                          http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                            This is the same way I felt about X-Files, when they had a whole cast overhaul, it was similar, and come on, the Lone Gunmen were killed. But I sucked it up and still continued to watch the show.
                            But you can't say that the X-Files was even half as good after David Duchovny left as it was before (and he wanted to leave, he wasn't tossed out like yesterday's garbage). Sure some episodes were still passable, but Doggett and Reyes never filled Scully and Mulder's shoes (and Scully was still around). The dynamic changed dramatically and so did the show. Like you, I also continued to watch and it was torture. The X-Files became a poor imitation of itself. I'm not going through that again with SGA. I'd rather stick with the dvd's.
                            sigpic

Comment

To be honest I'm a bit conflicted with this issue till I see season 4.
                              But they do got to stop playing Russian Roulette(sp?) with the cast. But I'm still annoyed with the Weir issue of becoming recurring.
                              sigpic

Comment

meh, I dont mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X