This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
    Now that was a spoiler tag worth clicking on.
    Indeed. I'm one happy little fangirlie now
    sigpic

Comment

Now that was a spoiler tag worth clicking on.
      Indeed.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

OMG I can't believe it half of this forum is watching the show expecting slash to somehow come up.

Maybe they should focus a little less on McKay and more on other people like Keller and more on the storylines.
        My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
          OMG I can't believe it half of this forum is watching the show expecting slash to somehow come up.

Maybe they should focus a little less on McKay and more on other people like Keller and more on the storylines.
          Naahhhhh.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be about the slash. I hear that guys who are just good pals do actually call each other by their first names at times...
          So in the spirit of a closer friendship, there's no reason McKay can't call him John. After all, John calls McKay "Rodney". Or Meredith, if the mood strikes.

Comment

Yeah it is all about the friendship.... really. Until you watch the scene that is... then... well.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
              The answer to this is well.... spoiler

Spoiler:
              Oh my; yes he will!

Season 4 opener "Adrift" Rodney calls him John.

Around the 26-27 minute mark *but who's counting*

*hugs Marty G*
              Spoiler:
              Now you are hugging Martin Gero?

Yeah it is all about the friendship.... really.
              For me, it is

Spoiler:
              But I would love it more times. I am waiting for it for a long time but I expected that the "first time" will be in better situation. This wasn´t special or anything. But important thing is that he did it! And maybe, it was better this way. It almost looked like Rodney didn´t want to do it but this tensed situation caught him off guard.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird View Post
                Naahhhhh.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be about the slash. I hear that guys who are just good pals do actually call each other by their first names at times...
                So in the spirit of a closer friendship, there's no reason McKay can't call him John. After all, John calls McKay "Rodney". Or Meredith, if the mood strikes.
                McKay's life is about building a shell around himself so he doesn't get hurt. I think calling Sheppard 'Sheppard' is part of that, as using "John" definitely is closer. And no, it's not slash. Why do some folk think if first names are used, it's automatically *that*. ??

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post

I am not expecting slash. I would expect that 2 guys that are friends would use each other's first name occasionally. Sheppard does call McKay 'Rodney', and even Ronon calls Sheppard 'John'. McKay calls Zelenka 'Radek'.

I don't think the first name deal was a conscious effort on anyone's part to signify anything. I'm not sure the writers/cast even noticed until fandom made a deal out of it.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana
                  My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird View Post
                    Naahhhhh.

I for one never expect slash, that is one thing I never do with characters. Though I loved the kissing scene between Mckay and Beckett in Duet, I just found it funny.

Comment

That was Ronon that called him John in Submersion.
                      Really? When? I did the transcript of that episode (and have just checked it) and I don't have a record of Ronon calling him John. The first time I heard Ronon use Shep's first name was in "Sunday".

S4 spoiler:

Spoiler:
                      I was surprised that "Adrift" was the first example of Rodney using Shep's first name. When I heard him say it, I hesitated, then thought, "Naah, he must have used it before," so I was shocked to find this topic!

Comment

Originally posted by Callie View Post
                        Really? When? I did the transcript of that episode (and have just checked it) and I don't have a record of Ronon calling him John. The first time I heard Ronon use Shep's first name was in "Sunday".

S4 spoiler:

Spoiler:
                        I was surprised that "Adrift" was the first example of Rodney using Shep's first name. When I heard him say it, I hesitated, then thought, "Naah, he must have used it before," so I was shocked to find this topic!
                        Yikes! I always get this wrong. Ronon called him John in Sunday and Vengeance. No idea why I get the titles of Vengeance and Submersion backward....
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana
                        My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          I for one never expect slash, that is one thing I never do with characters. Though I loved the kissing scene between Mckay and Beckett in Duet, I just found it funny.
                          Hehe, yes, that's one of my favourite scenes, hilarious. I don't see the point of expecting slash either unless the character is actually a canon gay character (who didn't love Willow/Tara? or Captain Jack/anyone?). Calling by first names has nothing to do with slash, it's a friendship thing- and I really want Rodney to call John by his first name as well! I think it would be a quite a moment for Rodney, as has been mentioned, Rodney keeps people at a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                            Hehe, yes, that's one of my favourite scenes, hilarious. I don't see the point of expecting slash either unless the character is actually a canon gay character (who didn't love Willow/Tara? or Captain Jack/anyone?). Calling by first names has nothing to do with slash, it's a friendship thing- and I really want Rodney to call John by his first name as well! I think it would be a quite a moment for Rodney, as has been mentioned, Rodney keeps people at a distance.
                            Agreed and it'd be nice but he does it out of respect. Though Daniel always called Jack "Jack" the only one that ever said Oneill was Teal'c. So mabey he can eventually call him John.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              McKay's life is about building a shell around himself so he doesn't get hurt. I think calling Sheppard 'Sheppard' is part of that, as using "John" definitely is closer. And no, it's not slash. Why do some folk think if first names are used, it's automatically *that*. ??
                              Is it slash? No of course not, good greif can't people tell a joke anymore on this forum? Apparently not. But it is some kind of deal to some people, and I know when it screens proper I will *squee* all over again.

For two years I have been reading McKay/Sheppard slash and really this topic comes up time and time again. Everyone wants to know why Rodney never uses John's name, some have huge long explanations in fics, some even make the fic all about the moment Rodney uses John's name.

Now I am not saying Martin Gero stood around reading slash fics but he admits to reading message boards, so it is not out of the realm of possibilities that he put the "John" in this moment to please fans. Or it may have been David himself, as David seemed generally surprised to hear, from fans, that Rodney had never used Sheppard's name before.

I guess we will never know why tptb chose this time, this moment to drop it in and not others. And in Lifeline he never uses it. But I am counting it towards my McKay/Sheppard slash moments and no one can stop me! So there.

Comment

Working...
                              X