This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
    That was Ronon that called him John in Submersion. I thought the perfect time would have been in The Ark when McKay says "Don't do this. It's impossible."
    Thanks Rufs, I figured someone said John in Submersion; I just thought Ronon. Hey, did Ronon also call him John in Vengeance...no no, I think it was Sheppard.

You're right The Ark would have been a sensational time.

Rodney calls everyone else by their first names: Ronon, Teyla, Carson, Elizabeth, Radek. But it is kinda Rodney to address him as Colonel or Sheppard.
    True, but I wouldn't mind hearing it once.
    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
      Thanks Rufs, I figured someone said John in Submersion; I just thought Ronon. Hey, did Ronon also call him John in Vengeance...no no, I think it was Sheppard.

You're right The Ark would have been a sensational time.

True, but I wouldn't mind hearing it once.
      Ronon also calls him John in Sunday. I wouldn't mind McKay calling him John. I wonder if it's just fandom that has made this into a thing or if the writers have gone so long avoiding it they don't know how to write it in.
      sigpic
      Sig by Luciana
      My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

I vaguely remember David Hewlett saying somewhere that he thought he had called him John, but that it just didn't make it on air. Maybe commentary on season one DVD's? I can't remember.

Like Ruffles said, I think this has gone on so long, that now it has become a bigger issue than the writers intended. Now they have to find an appropriate time to work it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
          I vaguely remember David Hewlett saying somewhere that he thought he had called him John, but that it just didn't make it on air. Maybe commentary on season one DVD's? I can't remember.

Like Ruffles said, I think this has gone on so long, that now it has become a bigger issue than the writers intended. Now they have to find an appropriate time to work it in.
          I've heard the same thing. I don't think it was intentional for McKay to never call Sheppard by his first name. I just don't think he ever has (at least on screen). Maybe he did in a scene that was cut.
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana

Comment

Wow, I never even gave this a thought. I'm just so used to Rodney addressing Shep by everything other than his first name. I dunno, I think I'm in the minority here, but i like the way it is. I hope Rodney doesn't call Shep by his first name. *shrugs*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
              I do hope so. I'm waiting for the ultimate crisis that brings about a powerful moment of emotional catharsis in their relationship where the 'John' becomes inevitable. Ooh, the scenarios! And not just the slashy ones, tho' those are my faves obviously
              Originally posted by grasshopper64 View Post
              I hope so, IMO it's long overdue, though I think it would require Sheppard being in grave danger or something for TPTB to throw it in there. Perhaps like in The Quest on SG1 when Mitchell finally called Daniel "Daniel".
              Originally posted by Linzi View Post
              I've been desperate to hear Rodney say 'John' for so long that I can't even remember when I first wanted to hear it!

When other team members called Sheppard by his first name, I've loved it, and can tell you in which episode each character first said it.

I don't think Rodney will say 'John' in season 4. I REALLY hope he does, but I've almost given up now.
              I think along those lines, that it will come at a pivotal moment, when Sheppard's in some sort of serious trouble or there's some other emotional tension going on between Sheppard and McKay. Now that basically all the other characters have gotten on a first name basis with each other, and Sheppard has been calling McKay "Rodney" for a good long time (and Meredith now and then ), I'd like to see Rodney slip into a first name basis with John. Their relationship has come to the point where it would feel more natural and still it's early enough that it could also be very meaningful in the right context.
              I've almost given up, too, but a part of me still hopes we get it this year.

Ronon also calls him John in Sunday. I wouldn't mind McKay calling him John. I wonder if it's just fandom that has made this into a thing or if the writers have gone so long avoiding it they don't know how to write it in.
              I used to wonder if the writers weren't tormenting us on purpose.
              And I think fandom has made it into a thing because it's something that's missing from the show and we need to hear it. At least, some of us would like to.

Comment

It'd be nice but not essential.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird View Post
                  I used to wonder if the writers weren't tormenting us on purpose.
                  And I think fandom has made it into a thing because it's something that's missing from the show and we need to hear it. At least, some of us would like to.
                  I agree. I think fandom latched onto the fact that McKay hasn't called him John, and we've read all sorts of things into it.

I wonder if anyone has pointed it out to the writers.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

I agree. I think fandom latched onto the fact that McKay hasn't called him John, and we've read all sorts of things into it.

I wonder if anyone has pointed it out to the writers.
                    Agreed. Personally I don't want him to.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                      Yes, I remember reading that to. I think it was from a convention report and the story was that someone getting an autograph asked David if Rodney was ever going to call Sheppard John and he really thought he already had! He asked Jane about it to and she said something like "You have, haven't you?" There was much confusion!

Of course...now David and TPTB know that we'd like to see it happen, I bet it never will!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elinor View Post
                        Yes, I remember reading that to. I think it was from a convention report and the story was that someone getting an autograph asked David if Rodney was ever going to call Sheppard John and he really thought he already had! He asked Jane about it to and she said something like "You have, haven't you?" There was much confusion!

Of course...now David and TPTB know that we'd like to see it happen, I bet it never will!!!

Maybe he'll just ad-lib it sometime (like TH did with "Chuck" in FS) and see if anyone notices.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

The answer to this is well.... spoiler

Spoiler:
                          Oh my; yes he will!

Season 4 opener "Adrift" Rodney calls him John.

Around the 26-27 minute mark *but who's counting*

*hugs Marty G*

Comment

Doesn't really matter to me either way if McKay does or not. Personally, I haven't read too much into it up to this point.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                              The answer to this is well.... spoiler

Spoiler:
                              Oh my; yes he will!

Season 4 opener "Adrift" Rodney calls him John.

Around the 26-27 minute mark *but who's counting*

*hugs Marty G*
                              Now that was a spoiler tag worth clicking on.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                                I dunno, I think I'm in the minority here, but i like the way it is. I hope Rodney doesn't call Shep by his first name. *shrugs*

I agree with you. I wanted it to remain a piece of SGA trivia. I thought it was neat that McKay had never said ‘John.’
                                Spoiler:
                                But, I just watched it and it’s true. It sounds so natural in the context and it’s a good episode for it. I think Adrift may be the best Sheppard and McKay friendship episode yet. I’m going to get a lot of disagreement on that. But, they talk, they argue, but somehow there is an overall feeling of mutual respect, they relate as equals, as partners in a crisis, as adults. I find that refreshing. So, it’s a good place to put McKay saying John, if we have to have it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X