This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Most likely the drop has to be contributed to the 6-month hiatus and the lack of advertising.
    Cast-changes are a mere blip on that radar, but they do exist.
    Thats what I think but ratings are dropping on every network so who knows what the cause is, but it's not the cast changes IMO.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

As much as I would have liked all of the cast members to remain, it is not practical in the situation. One of the issues many people have with TV shows that include danger in the storytelling is that those characters never die. It's always the red shirts.

TPTB of SGA have shown us, even if we don't like it, that sometimes the major characters are vulnerable. If Atlantis was never attacked or there were no lingering hazards because of the research necessary in the war with the Wraith, or with the Azurans, it might be okay to have major and recurring characters live on forever. But, the city has been attacked, there was weapons research and there are off-world expeditions. People get injured and die.

It would also be nice if there was mention of characters that are no longer there. I thought it sad that Beckett, at least, was not discussed. However, I can understand that the discussion would be difficult to fit in so that it made sense and was appropriate. Taking time out of the very brief 43 minutes alloted and still tell the story is not an easy thing to do.

Personally, I keep looking at the calendar and counting the days, even though we don't have a start date, yet. How long until S4???

Comment

Originally posted by Lorr View Post
        As much as I would have liked all of the cast members to remain, it is not practical in the situation. One of the issues many people have with TV shows that include danger in the storytelling is that those characters never die. It's always the red shirts.
        i honestly have never had this dissatisfaction. There are alot of shows out there that do a great job of inserting 'peril' without actually killing main characters off.

Do people really want main characters to die on shows?

oh man so glad i'm not watching season 4. I don't even want to see commercials for it...

I like my little dream land or reruns only
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
          No, not really.

I like my little dream land or reruns only
          Or being in the land where season 2 and 3 haven't aired yet.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Yes.
              Agreed. Though it's a shame about how Carson went

But...

Spoiler:
              Luckily he will be coming back

Comment

i honestly have never had this dissatisfaction. There are alot of shows out there that do a great job of inserting 'peril' without actually killing main characters off.
                yep. I think that's the only way it can really work.
                I think the best examples are The Storm/Eye or Common Ground, it was obvious to anyone that the major characters weren't going to die there, but what really made the peril was the possibility of losing atlantis/sheppard being old
                No, not really. they just hope to get a peril kick out of it when the writing gets dull.

Comment

well it boggles my mind... its all about implied peril... i never wanted anyone to die

no wonder i dislike whats happened
                  Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                  ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                  Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Lorr View Post

TPTB of SGA have shown us, even if we don't like it, that sometimes the major characters are vulnerable. If Atlantis was never attacked or there were no lingering hazards because of the research necessary in the war with the Wraith, or with the Azurans, it might be okay to have major and recurring characters live on forever. But, the city has been attacked, there was weapons research and there are off-world expeditions. People get injured and die.

It would also be nice if there was mention of characters that are no longer there. I thought it sad that Beckett, at least, was not discussed. However, I can understand that the discussion would be difficult to fit in so that it made sense and was appropriate. Taking time out of the very brief 43 minutes alloted and still tell the story is not an easy thing to do.

Personally, I keep looking at the calendar and counting the days, even though we don't have a start date, yet. How long until S4???
                    You have made excellent points and I agree. The thing that always bothers me about several tv shows is that the main characters are never vulnerable. True they can show vulnerability without killing which they have done but to make it realistic you can't just have random unimportant people die. Once in a while someone major has to die to make it seem more real. IMO it's a necessary evil, and I'd have been upset if it didnt translate well on screen. As much as I'd love for everyone to remain the main cast is realitively still intact and I can't wait for season 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                      You have made excellent points and I agree. The thing that always bothers me about several tv shows is that the main characters are never vulnerable. True they can show vulnerability without killing which they have done but to make it realistic you can't just have random unimportant people die. Once in a while someone major has to die to make it seem more real. IMO it's a necessary evil, and I'd have been upset if it didnt translate well on screen. As much as I'd love for everyone to remain the main cast is realitively still intact and I can't wait for season 4.
                      It's a fine line. Kill off too many characters and who's going to invest in any of them. Don't get attached, they'll just kill him/her off. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little sense of peril in order to know my favorite character will be back next week.

Comment

I finally figured out what it is that's erked me about season 3! There's no direction! (It all came to me after watching a highly recommended episode of Dr Who.. don't ask )

Season 1 was about exploring/finding ZPMs/finding a way to defend themselves and contact Earth. I love season 1! Then somewhere during season 2 - though the majority of the eps were great! - the direction was lost and season 3 was just anything goes.

From season 1-8 (I think) Stargate was about finding advanced technology/applying the technology/defeating the goa'uld/replacators/the whole government conspiracy stuff (which I loved) and then season 9 onwards was defeating the Ori and saving a galaxy. Plus the characters had a reason for being there. It kinda felt like Teyla, Ronan and Weir (to different degrees) were there because they had to be.

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                        No, not really. they just hope to get a peril kick out of it when the writing gets dull.
                        Sorry, there was no kick for me when Carson was killed. I just rolled my eyes and waited for the next ep. Now when Groden (sp?) was killed in the end of S1, I was really upset about it!

Probably 'cause his death actually had some meaning to it.

Comment

I'm pretty psyched about season 4...it's going to be just a short hiatus, right?
                          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                            It's a fine line. Kill off too many characters and who's going to invest in any of them. Don't get attached, they'll just kill him/her off. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little sense of peril in order to know my favorite character will be back next week.
                            True it is a fine line but they havent crossed it yet. If Ronon,Teyla,Rod or Shep is killed then they have crossed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Fan View Post
                              I finally figured out what it is that's erked me about season 3! There's no direction! (It all came to me after watching a highly recommended episode of Dr Who.. don't ask )

Season 1 was about exploring/finding ZPMs/finding a way to defend themselves and contact Earth. I love season 1! Then somewhere during season 2 - though the majority of the eps were great! - the direction was lost and season 3 was just anything goes.

From season 1-8 (I think) Stargate was about finding advanced technology/applying the technology/defeating the goa'uld/replacators/the whole government conspiracy stuff (which I loved) and then season 9 onwards was defeating the Ori and saving a galaxy. Plus the characters had a reason for being there. It kinda felt like Teyla, Ronan and Weir (to different degrees) were there because they had to be.

Sorry, there was no kick for me when Carson was killed. I just rolled my eyes and waited for the next ep. Now when Groden (sp?) was killed in the end of S1, I was really upset about it!

Probably 'cause his death actually had some meaning to it.
                              I'm not sure I follow. I didnt feel the direction was lost in season 3. It wasnt about one thing, seasrching for ZPMs like season one it was about diverting the Wraith from getting to Earth, getting backstory on ronon,Shep,Teyla and Weir oh and Rodney, finding a new enemy, saving Atlantis, and ending up in peril. It did have many stories but it was done extremly well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                                ITA. Personally, I'm bummed about Carson but if I were to be honest, I don't mind Weir leaving. I don't think that TPTB had to 'make her leave' or whatever the situation was, but I think that a reduced role for her would have been great. IMO it would open a lot more story telling oppertunities.

Think about it. Like in SUbmersion for example. The whole episode I kept thinking, "Um, why is the leader of the expidition here? Who's running Atlantis?" and it tarnished the epi a bit for me.
                                click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

Working...
                                X