This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all,

I don't consider my self either Anti or Pro, I'm kind of a catch in the middle. basically rather then taking a canon ball dive off the deep in this coming season, I'm sort dipping my toes in on the shallow end. So, I can understand the view points from both sides. I will admit that the changes to the show threw me for a loop, and until literraly a few days ago, I wasn't really sure where I stood. I was seriously back and forth, I still am to some degree. But I have decided that I love SGA too much to walk away. I gotta get my McKay fix after all. But through all of my indecsion and anti posting I have also been able to respect everyone's opinion, I think it's sad that people consider the varying "sides" at war. I had never felt like that, yes there have a few people on both sides that have taken their opinions to the extreme and have gotten rather childish IMO, but I have felt for the most part that* ALL* the fans have been great.

So I'm not seeing where the "war" is coming from. I know that people can feel attacked when people disagree with their opinion, but that in no way makes a war. Am I happy about the decisions TPTB made? Not totally, am I going to boo someone that is, No. It's called free speech. Besdies if we all had the same opinion the forum would get boring very fast.

I will admit to not feeling free to post my anti-comments to discussion threads, simply because you DO wind up having to defend them. And well, sometimes there isn't some big deep secret behind why, it's just as simple as, they made the change and I don't like it. Nothing more nothing less. But that is not a mark against anybody that is pro, it's just the nature of the beast.

Anyways, I feel like this is rushed (I'm getting ready to run out the door) and I know I've probably not made myself very clear. But hopefully this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Koshi700 View Post
      No. It's called free speech. Besdies if we all had the same opinion the forum would get boring very fast.
      GW does not allow free speech I agree however that it would be a boring place without differing opinions, and a "sense" of freedom to say what you think.

I think petty issues get in the way. I know on certain threads I can't help but being petty they bring it out in me... but should the thread be closed because of that? NO. That is censorship.

I have now more "problems" with fandom then I do with the show... I think that says it all.

Comment

free speech is a phrase that many bandy about but you know folks...it comes with responsibilty.

and doesn't mean that you can trot it out to be a 'say what i want how i want' free card

many of the folks i see complaining about a lack of free speech are those that like to post nasty comments, baiting comments, rude things...and when others complain 'well, i have free speech, i can say what i want'

in other words, it's often used as a 'let me be a git' for free card

When we shut down threads, we shut them down when they are extra....llike the 10th thread asking when s1o will be released on dvd, or when people just can't/won't get along.

Play by the rules and within the rules, and the vast majority of threads stay open
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          free speech is a phrase that many bandy about but you know folks...it comes with responsibilty.

and doesn't mean that you can trot it out to be a 'say what i want how i want' free card

many of the folks i see complaining about a lack of free speech are those that like to post nasty comments, baiting comments, rude things...and when others complain 'well, i have free speech, i can say what i want'

When we shut down threads, we shut them down when they are extra....llike the 10th thread asking when s1o will be released on dvd, or when people just can't/won't get along.

Play by the rules and within the rules, and the vast majority of threads stay open
          Free speech does not have rules it has as you say responsibliy but to say GW allows free speech is a lie. No forum with Moderation or rules allows true freedom of speech they just don't and in many ways can't.

That is what my post was saying, nothing more nothing less.

Comment

we're more of a benevolent dictatorship

sigpic

Comment

I totally agree. There's no such thing as free speech anywhere in the world. We are now in the era of political correctness, and thus nobody can air their feelings everywhere about every topic anymore, and nor should we be able to. We all have to censor ourselves in public to a certain extent, and that should happen here too. Quite honestly, from some of the catty, B**chy, baiting, mean-spirited and plain nasty comments I've read here, thank goodness there is moderation!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                I totally agree. There's no such thing as free speech anywhere in the world. We are now in the era of political correctness, and thus nobody can air their feelings everywhere about every topic anymore, and nor should we be able to. We all have to censor ourselves in public to a certain extent, and that should happen here too. Quite honestly, from some of the catty, B**chy, baiting, mean-spirited and plain nasty comments I've read here, thank goodness there is moderation!
                I can handle the catty if I get to give my opinion in free and open posts. I am glad to wade through the mess that is others opinion in order to find the gems. Heck I do it on LJ all the time although not so much now as they too have given into censorship in fact you want to feel fear to post go there.

Anyway there is a difference between free speech and Slander/Libel, that is why we have laws in the RL.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                  I can handle the catty if I get to give my opinion in free and open posts. I am glad to wade through the mess that is others opinion in order to find the gems. Heck I do it on LJ all the time although not so much now as they too have given into censorship in fact you want to feel fear to post go there.

Anyway there is a difference between free speech and Slander/Libel, that is why we have laws in the RL.
                  I agree, but when slanderous comments appear here, and some I've seen here border on that, moderation is required. I don't enjoy wading through the insults to find gems. I love healthy debate and discussion, but insults and mess? Not so much...
                  sigpic

Comment

The thing is, when you join GW you agree to follow the rules; whether you know them or not. People should pay more attention to the rules, keeping the insults and slanderous comments out of the posts is part of how GW is set up. So we have moderators to keep people in line with the rules, it is part of the site and has always been. So if you want true freedom of speech go to a LJ and spew to your hearts content, the only one's moderating on those are the posters themselves. But don't bring the dirty laundry here, because those of us who play by the rules don't want to see it.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Since the S4 premiere is right around the corner, I thought I would give this thread a bump to remind people that it's here. This might be a good place to air out any differences or help each other see things from another's point of view.

Comment

It could be very helpful since, for those that will see the episodes for the first time, some will be very excited to see sam, while others will not be very happy to see liz's fate.

maybe a place to chat about the situation will help folks understand each other...and each others' feelings

sigpic

Comment

It could be very helpful since, for those that will see the episodes for the first time, some will be very excited to see sam, while others will not be very happy to see liz's fate.

maybe a place to chat about the situation will help folks understand each other...and each others' feelings
                          Good idea. *Speaks to all*
                          Ahem. No matter our diferences we are all here for a reason to express our love for SGA and our acceptance or reluctance to the changes. We all need to be aware of each others opinions and respect them whether we agree or not has no bearing. Each of us deserves respect no matter his/her personal opinion. Lets all agree to play nice and talk about the changes and why we like or do not like them. And remember this as well "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                            Since the S4 premiere is right around the corner, I thought I would give this thread a bump to remind people that it's here. This might be a good place to air out any differences or help each other see things from another's point of view.
                            Wow! This thread is a great idea! Reconcilliation is always a good thing.

I'm Pro Season Four, Anti-Weir leaving, Pro-Sam coming, Anti-Beckett leaving, Pro-Keller coming.....if I had my way, everyone would be in the show! But overall, very excited about the upcoming season, I'll give the PTB the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              Wow! This thread is a great idea! Reconcilliation is always a good thing.

I'm Pro Season Four, Anti-Weir leaving, Pro-Sam coming, Anti-Beckett leaving, Pro-Keller coming.....if I had my way, everyone would be in the show! But overall, very excited about the upcoming season, I'll give the PTB the benefit of the doubt.
                              That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I'm taking the good with the bad, and I'm enjoying the series as much as I can. I think it'll be an interesting season, if nothing else.
                              Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 24 September 2007, 02:48 PM.

Comment

If there's any chance of ever bringing both sides back together, or at least have them understand each other, then why has the fight shifted towards the subtleness (or lack there off) to the signatures?
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X