Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to a Torri fan, who has met and talked to Torri at a recent con, Torri was treated badly, same as Paul was. She had no idea what the last Elizabeth scene in FS meant upon reading the script, she was really upset and asked the producers what it meant. They told her "not to worry, it's just a cliffhanger". Talk about misrepresenting the facts (to put it mildly), being too coward to say it to her face. Then they called her (same as with Paul) and presented her with the options over the phone, recurring or dead. Torri was polite about it at the con. Hope this clears everything up.

Sorry for being off topic but the last few posts are off topic as well.
    Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
    at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
      According to a Torri fan, who has met and talked to Torri at a recent con, Torri was treated badly, same as Paul was.
      Well, I'd rather hear it straight from Torri than from a fan who could be colored by his/her own biases.

She had no idea what the last Elizabeth scene in FS meant upon reading the script, she was really upset and asked the producers what it meant. They told her "not to worry, it's just a cliffhanger". Talk about misrepresenting the facts (to put it mildly), being too coward to say it to her face.
      That's certainly a jump. Has it occured to your perhaps that their plans changed after talking to her?

Then they called her (same as with Paul) and presented her with the options over the phone, recurring or dead. Torri was polite about it at the con. Hope this clears everything up.
      Not really.

I just wish someone can get an interview with her as soon as possible. That'll clear it up...maybe.

Comment

Sounds like heresay. Highly plausible, highly probable heresay. But heresay, nevertheless.

I don't understand why fans who obtain insider knowledge of situations like these think they're doing the actor any favors by telling other people what they've learned. Like telephone, the grapevine, etc., by the time the information actually reaches the general public, it has the potential of either being misrepresented or completely distorted.

Like PG, I would much rather hear it from TH than anyone else before I make any public judgments.
        Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 16 July 2007, 12:59 PM. Reason: hearsay? heresay? ah, whatever. :P

Comment

I agree with Dancer and PG15, it's one thing to hear it from Torri or TPTB, and another from a fan. As dancer said, it's speculative. And I don't mean that disrespectfully. TBH I don't think your post has helped matters Celcool, and I don't mean that in a nasty way as i'm sure your intentions were honourable. But they don't serve to ease any tentions on the board and can unitentionally flame things.

If that's true, then why would Torri mention to... i'm sorry, an unreliable source for it to be 'blabbed' over the internet? If it is true then maybe Torri didn't want to burn the bridges she has made with SGA, (and I really wouldn't blame her) But telling a fan? Especially when 'treated badly' has so many different connotations it leaves so much open to interpretation and doesn't help to ease an already inflamed fandom.

I'd rather if this is the message that's being told at conventions, then i'd prefer to hear it directly, or indirectly by way of interview not third hand. I think this is the only way to ease some of the tensions. But as Sky said, and i've said in the past, some fans would still not believe it.

If it did happen as you say, then I agree that's not a very nice way to behave, but as i've never been involved in the hiring and firing of actors, I couldn't say if that was the norm.

But getting back on topic, i've noticed everything seems a bit calmer on the boards these days.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Well, I'd rather hear it straight from Torri than from a fan who could be colored by his/her own biases.
            Then I suggest you attend the next con she's at. That was what Torri said why is it so hard to believe? She didn't say she was "treated badly" of course but everything else she did say according to a Torri fan.

That's certainly a jump. Has it occured to your perhaps that their plans changed after talking to her?
            quoting Skydiver from a few posts back:

"Joe has made his statement, that the decision to get rid of weir was made long before a replacement was cast..."

It has been said the decision has been made for a while, long before FS, they knew what they wanted to accomplish with that scene. Why would you think otherwise? They sure knew which direction they wanted the show to take next season when they were working on the finale, yet they lied about it.

I just wish someone can get an interview with her as soon as possible. That'll clear it up...maybe.
            I want that too.

I don't understand why fans who obtain insider knowledge of situations like these think they're doing the actor any favors by telling other people what they've learned.
            Why not tell? If the actress told the fans how it happened, it's no secret any longer, it's out there.

IMHO, the decent thing of them to do would be to sit down with the colleague who's been working on their show for 3 years and explain to them what it all means and why they're letting them go. Not over the phone, face to face. Kinda like they did with AT when they asked her to come aboard the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
              If it did happen as you say, then I agree that's not a very nice way to behave, but as i've never been involved in the hiring and firing of actors, I couldn't say if that was the norm.
              I asked the source if I can share it here and she said yes, so I did, you can make of it what you want.

Comment

Then I suggest you attend the next con she's at. That was what Torri said why is it so hard to believe? She didn't say she was "treated badly" of course but everything else she did say according to a Torri fan.
                Well there you go; you just admited that "treated badly" was not said, even though the fan said that. After all, the whole point of your post was to relay the info that Torri thought she was treated badly, no?

This is the exact kind of bias that I've been talking about. Sorry, I'd rather hear it from Torri herself (or an interview, since I don't go to cons) than some anonymous fan.

quoting Skydiver from a few posts back:

"Joe has made his statement, that the decision to get rid of weir was made long before a replacement was cast..."

It has been said the decision has been made for a while, long before FS, they knew what they wanted to accomplish with that scene. Why would you think otherwise? They sure knew which direction they wanted the show to take next season when they were working on the finale, yet they lied about it.
                I see the twist right there man! Joe said "long before", and you turn that into "long before FS". What's that about, eh?

IMHO, those scenes are just seeds. They might have thought about getting rid of the character, but weren't sure until later. After all, there is nothing keeping Weir from being healed and everything going back to normal after the events of that episode.

Except the writers, who chose differently.

Comment

According to a Torri fan, who has met and talked to Torri at a recent con, Torri was treated badly, same as Paul was. She had no idea what the last Elizabeth scene in FS meant upon reading the script, she was really upset and asked the producers what it meant. They told her "not to worry, it's just a cliffhanger". Talk about misrepresenting the facts (to put it mildly), being too coward to say it to her face. Then they called her (same as with Paul) and presented her with the options over the phone, recurring or dead. Torri was polite about it at the con. Hope this clears everything up.

Sorry for being off topic but the last few posts are off topic as well.
                  with all due respect to this, it's heresay. it's third party information at best and - if this were a court of law - it'd be discounted.

I'm not saying that this person is lying, far from it. But a statement made to only one person, with no documentation, is just rumor and innuendo

and, unfortunately, that rumor and innuendo can really mess things up
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Well there you go; you just admited that "treated badly" was not said, even though the fan said that. After all, the whole point of your post was to relay the info that Torri thought she was treated badly, no?
                    I did say "according to a Torri fan,..., she was treated badly" in my first post. Read it carefully. It was based on what Torri has said to her.

Comment

Technically, since Torri never said she was treated badly (right?), then it's actually what the fan assumed from what Torri told her.

Assumptions, especially now, can be very dangerous.

Comment

which means that 'treated badly' was the torri fan's interpretation of events, not torri's

stuff like this, getting passed around, can actually hurt the actor. imagine how it'd play out if future employers got the word that 'yeah, well when so and so let her go, she reamed tehm out on the net' (exaggeration...then again, 'treated badly' is potentially an exaggeration)

rumors are like chinese whispers...just with very real and very nasty consequences
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Let's go over this again. Torri said they initially told her not to worry and then presented her with the options over the phone. My first post about the subject explains it better. I would say the same as the source=treated badly. But that's our opinion. Yours can be different.

Comment

It's all about delivery. Things can easily be misconstrued when Torri's comments at a con (comments that weren't made onstage, and that no one else can substantiate but a handful of fans) are coupled with a fan's interpretation. I see now how you initially put it, and where the distinction is. But, as has been said, it's really not doing Torri Higginson any favors, imo.

Comment

Let's go over this again.
                              Okay let's.
                              Torri said they initially told her not to worry and then presented her with the options over the phone. My first post about the subject explains it better. I would say the same as the source=treated badly. But that's our opinion. Yours can be different.
                              Who told her not to worry? When? How much later was she presented with her options over the phone? By whom?

Yes, they are niggling little details, but my sense is that you feel she's been lied to and these kinds of details have the potential of radically altering the potential conclusions drawn by those who hear them.

Also take into account your personal bias. You believe she's been wronged...ergo, whatever facts or bits of trivia your mind processes will be filtered through that mindset.

I know about this from personal experience as I've done the same thing myself throughout my time as a fan. It is almost impossible to look at something that affects you so personally with any kind of objectivity and the first response to any kind of reinterpretation of something you just KNOW to be true is typically resistance and resentment (or at least it is if you're anything like me).

So, I'll challenge you as I've been challenged: Look at this with new eyes. Set aside your fandom, your appreciation of an actress and your desire to protect her. In fact, remove the name from the equation altogether and look at it as though it were happening to someone you don't care about. I know you're not an Amanda/Carter fan...imagine it was happening to her. Would your interpretation of the events be the same? Or would you consider that perhaps there is more going on than what devoted Carter fans are saying?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Why not tell? If the actress told the fans how it happened, it's no secret any longer, it's out there.

IMHO, the decent thing of them to do would be to sit down with the colleague who's been working on their show for 3 years and explain to them what it all means and why they're letting them go. Not over the phone, face to face. Kinda like they did with AT when they asked her to come aboard the show.
                                They have a history of doing that, so it wouldn't surprise me. The same thing happened with Teryl, and she's spoken about it during her talks at conventions. She's said how she got a phone call from the producers who said "So we're shaking things up and we've decided to kill you off. How do you feel about that?"

Really disrespectful, and she has no problem talking about it publicly.

Comment

Working...
                                X