This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
    Although I don't always agree with what TPTB do, I do always give thanks for them. Overall, they have given us, IMO, ten quality seasons of SG-1 and now three (going on four) seasons of SGA. They do the best they can. Whether you like what they do or decisions they make, they shouldn't be endlessly bashed.
    Neither do I. I disagreed with the death of Janet, and Jacob, as well as Carson, though in all cases I was pleased with how it was handled. I always have faith in them.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Joe has been known to tell people what they want to hear, and we all know he can't come out and tell the whole truth as he would get fired, but the fact that he does come out to play with the fans is fun. I enjoy his blog.

Comment

When JM called the massed ranks (crowing for his head!) "Shrill and ill-informed lemmings" I was muchly impressed. The guy has some cajhonas to be doing that to the people who ultimately pay his wages!

And more importantly, he was right to do so!

Comment

Originally posted by The Suicidal Goldfish View Post
          When JM called the massed ranks (crowing for his head!) "Shrill and ill-informed lemmings" I was muchly impressed. The guy has some cajhonas to be doing that to the people who ultimately pay his wages!

And more importantly, he was right to do so!
          Yeah that was a big risk on his part but I can see why he did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
            Why would you say that on JM's blog? I don't get it: if someone has been that nasty about Joe why would you tell him about it?

JMO, but if we're about being nice to PTBs, maybe repeating the nastiness isn't a terribly helpful place to start.
            Ooh..sorry MW, the phrasing was wrong. Someone said that on JM's blog, and I was just mentioning...that I had mentioned that paticular incident in other threads in the S4 section that this has been done and I couldn't believe it, since I found it to be a sick little person to say something of that nature.

I just didn't fill in the blanks, since a few of the people here had seen that post...I can get a link to the post, it's quite disturbing to read actually. And the person went into a long rant....
            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I support the TPTB and I hope that they will learn from the little mistakes, so everyone will like and accept their work as we do.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                Yeah that was a big risk on his part but I can see why he did it.
                I can too. The people he was talking about were speaking and raging without having all the facts. In some cases they had NO facts. They were insulting, rude and yes, shrill. I was glad to see someone call them what they were, they certainly weren't being called down for their behavior on GW at the time, I'm sorry to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  I support the TPTB and I hope that they will learn from the little mistakes, so everyone will like and accept their work as we do.
                  But see, that's the thing, I haven't seen all that many mistakes. I think by and large they do a really good job. Unfortunately you're not going to please some of these people who are doing the insulting, cause nothing short of the Weir or Beckett show is going to make them happy. (no offense intended to either character)

Comment

Back to topic - TPTB - not fans *****ing about other fans. I'd like to see Carl Binder do MORE writing on the show. He's got the best handle, so far, on developing the characters (possibly because he's got the longer history in working on other TV shows).

Comment

Originally posted by sanssong View Post
                      But see, that's the thing, I haven't seen all that many mistakes. I think by and large they do a really good job. Unfortunately you're not going to please some of these people who are doing the insulting, cause nothing short of the Weir or Beckett show is going to make them happy. (no offense intended to either character)
                      Agreed. I know we'll disagree on this point but I havent seen tptb make many mistakes on either show. True they won't please everyone but imo i am confident tptb will make season 4 a very enjoyable one.

Comment

Don't suppose you could add BOOYAH! to the end of the thread title, eh? Then it could be TPTPTBTB.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                          Ooh..sorry MW, the phrasing was wrong. Someone said that on JM's blog
                          Ah, I see

Madeleine

Comment

Guys, I'd like to play devil's advocate here. I think you've got it backwards. To paraphrase . . . TPTB serve at the pleasure of the fans. These guys get paid a fair amount of money to indulge their fantasies, based on the premise that enough people will want to watch those fantasies play out on the screen.

TPTB don't operate in a vacuum. The fans drive the ratings and the DVD sales, watch the movies, attend the cons, buy the decoder rings, etc. If fans didn't watch, TPTB would be indulging their fantasies in somebody's garage using Star Wars figurines. They should be thanking the fans for watching (and buying), not treating fans like a necessary evil. If they are going to put a product out there, they better be able and willing to accept criticism for what they do with (or to) that product. After all, the fans have the ultimate power . . . the off switch.

Granted some fans take it to the extreme, but they are few and far between. Just because they are the loudest doesn't mean they speak for all, or any, besides themselves. From my perspective, there's plenty of criticism to be had on both sides of the aisle.

Just my opinion.
                            sigpic

Comment

^^ Most people who watch though, aren't 'fans'. The fans that actually whinge and moan make up a very small part of the actual viewbase, TPTB have to make a good show that people will like, not to cater to the whishes to one specific group of consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                                ^^ Most people who watch though, aren't 'fans'. The fans that actually whinge and moan make up a very small part of the actual viewbase, TPTB have to make a good show that people will like, not to cater to the whishes to one specific group of consumers.

Sorry, I don't agree. If you set aside an hour of your time to watch something, or if you remember to set your TIVO to record something, then you are a fan. The only difference between on-line and off-line fans is the level of involvement . . .and the fact that off-line fans won't fight changes they believe to be detrimental to the show . . . they will simply stop watching. As a former casual viewer, I know I nearly did. Watching Elizabeth and Teyla gazing adoringly at Lucius was almost more than my poor stomach could handle. I didn't even watch the next episode as an act of defiance. I came back eventually, but I remain wary. LOL.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X