This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wolverine_nl View Post
    God created man and so a machine cant ascend, you mix fiction with reality!
    Ancients created humans in the Stargate universe, therefore, you say that the Ancients are "God" ? Very tricky reasoning, but it is what the series implies. And what we were taught at school isnt exact science, we dont know who or what God is, we can only speculate or just believe in it (realitycheck)
    But humans can ascend, so the "other" creation of the Ancients, the replicators/assurans, should be able to ascend if they have a certain life energy that needs to be released.
    But since the ancients assended could they then be considerd gods?

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        But since the ancients assended could they then be considerd gods?
        Then define "God" in the Stargate Universe?
        That is THE question that makes the SG-1 series.

Comment

False Gods.

Comment

they could ascend because of all the nice things they find if you had to choose one person to ascend who would it be
            i'd choose McKay

Comment

although we don't really know, I would say there are 2 things possibly holding them back from ascending NATURALLY:

1) All ascended beings (ancient or not) that we know of, have all been an organic life form, not a machine. Don't know if this would make a difference or not, we just don't know.

2) One needs to be pure of spirit to ascend naturally, and I don't think trying to kill all humans in pegasus because their creators like the humans better then the asurans, is all that "pure of spirit".

I know some were focusing on ascending, but we just don't know until they try.

Comment

Originally posted by bniblett View Post
                although we don't really know, I would say there are 2 things possibly holding them back from ascending NATURALLY:

1) All ascended beings (ancient or not) that we know of, have all been an organic life form, not a machine. Don't know if this would make a difference or not, we just don't know.

2) One needs to be pure of spirit to ascend naturally, and I don't think trying to kill all humans in pegasus because their creators like the humans better then the asurans, is all that "pure of spirit".

I know some were focusing on ascending, but we just don't know until they try.
                Since when?

Comment

They would only need to be "pure of spirit" if an ascended helps them ascend. And even that isn't really necessary, because Anubis managed to trick Oma Desala. In order to ascend they would have to release their burden, and get their brain into the proper state. Being a good person isn't necessary.
                  sigpic

Comment

Being pure of spirit, doesnt mean pure good or evil for that matter.
                    there should be a guide to ascension which can be bought on amazon or something

Comment

No, you don't have to be a pure spirit.You have to be a pure spirit only if you get any help from the MW Ancients(Oma Desala and others)
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Did not replicarter say that organics are still machines, but lesser ones?

[quote]Then define "God" in the Stargate Universe?
                        /quote]

God.. Someone who is higher/supreme in power... To me that closely resembles what the ancients became when they ascended.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          That's why I don't think machines have souls.
                          I do believe a machine can be sentient
                          contradiction detected
                          Last edited by SoulReaver; 27 February 2007, 12:40 PM.

Comment

First off, what is a soul and what function does it have that's different than the mind? What are the physical properties of a soul and how do some beings end up having it while others don't? I don't believe it's necessary to adding in a unquantifiable and noninteracting object to our universe. We have something unquantifiable and that's called our human mind, but it interacts with our body through the computational mechanisms of our meat computer, the human brain. We've never discovered a biological process within ourselves whose only explanation can be attributed to the interaction with the soul.

Now relating this to the Stargate universe, the Asurans happen to have a collective consciousness but the same can be argued with telepathy in the Stargate universe and we know telepaths can still ascend. And the Asurans do show individual ethic even if there base code is aggressive, whatever that means. Our base code, our genetic instruction, is to procreate and have sex, although the latter is more likely. But the Catholic Church has been able to recruit people to reject their base programming and join take on vows of celibacy for ~2000 years. More recently, government bodies and NGOs are concerned about populations stripping sustainable resources bare and individuals at other sites I visit have argued that having more than one of your own genetic offspring is unethical as there are many excess children in foster homes going around.

And lastly, ascension has an interaction with the physical, mortal universe in Stargate. So it should be explained by physical laws. The Ancients who couldn't ascend on their own created technology to get their genetics to ascend. I could argue that this would be exactly like creating an interface to the ascended plane and that the Asurans should be capable of creating this interface aswell. Our genetics is a random assortment of atomic elements, and we don't notice a spiritual quality to our elements when looking at the periodic table.

Comment

Remember SGA S1 EP3 (Hide & Seek)

There they found some sort of Power being...

What is the chance that it might have been and experiment on one of the Asurans? We know that the Ancients wanted to hasten their ascend with the wraith knocking on their doorstep...

If I was an Ancient... I would rather do my science test with a Asuran than a fellow Ancient...

I know it is a thumb suck, but that treat was never finished in Atlantis, so it always open for some sort of exploit...

Comment

[QUOTE=garhkal;6374012]Did not replicarter say that organics are still machines, but lesser ones?

Then define "God" in the Stargate Universe?
                                /quote]

God.. Someone who is higher/supreme in power... To me that closely resembles what the ancients became when they ascended.
                                Im not sure what you all mean by organics. I don't believe the reps or their counterparts can ever ascend. They do not have souls and are only machines with chips,etc that are run off a program. They were created by non ascending beings. The ancients were superior beings who were smart and had much power. I would believe they could but not the reps. I would think if they did it would have a horrible consiquence. I would not want them as gods.

Comment

Working...
                                X