Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's probably true i'm a bit torn personally. i don't like to think that a machine could develop a soul but in this case i think it could be posible. the question is what's the definition of a soul?
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by dzineguy84 View Post
      to be fair to the asurans, they contain a biological component as well as mechanical, unlike the milkyway humanform replicators, which were nothing but nanites. so honestly, they fall under the biological entity requirement that you uphold.
      No they don't. They're machines on the nanite level, which mimics biological components.

If they had any biological component, Niam would have been unable to be revived. Biological components die in the cold vacuum of space. If that didn't get them, the radiation from the sun would have, since there's no ozone to deflect radiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
        I don't care if they are full cyborgs. My point is they were made by man or fellow machine, not God. We are, of coarse, discussing my point of view. It's not so much an issue of weather they are alive or have biological components. It's an issue of weather or not they have a spirit/soul which I feel is critical to ascension.
        YOU got a good point in some way ... But at the sametime i got to ask you this ...

Do you belive that ANIMAL'S can go to Heaven ... and if so , do animals like Lions , or any animal that eats or kills another animal goes to hell ??

With that being said , and im not going to get into it about heaven and god , couse this is a Sci-Fi show , not a reality show ... the Asurans made a good point ...

Ascention isnt a form of dieing , rather a form of evolving ... The Ancients also explain that when you Ascend , the Energy from your BODY ... Thats Energy , not the Soul or spirit ... Seeing how todays COMPUTERS and technology can evolve in todays world , Why cant teh Asurans in a Sci-Fi show evolve and Ascend to a higher plane ...????

Comment

Well i would say its very possible for the asurans to ascend, in ascending there's no mention of a soul needed, not once have i heard that there's one needed and as replicarter said to Danial, when he said she wouldnt understand cause she was a machine and she replied that so was he just of an inferior make and to an extent that's true and in Tao of Rodney Elizabeth did say to Rodney something like "its not religion" but evolving to a point at which the brain reaches such a state and one can let go......
          Full Circle.. Herak: "Surrender or die!!"
          O'Neill: "What?!"
          Herak: "Surrender or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
          O'Neill: "I was just going to say the exact same thing"
          Herak: "O'Neil of sg1"
          O'Neill: "Hay how you doing... you'll have to forgive me I'm terrible with names what was it... (staff blast) jeez!!"
          Herak: "I am Herak"
          O'Neill: "Congratulations failing upwards i see"
          .......... Couple of sentences later
          O'Neill: "Give us clear access to the gate or I'll blow it up"
          Herak: "Yourself along with it?"
          O'Neill: "Whats you point?"

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jakcson
            I don't care if they are full cyborgs. My point is they were made by man or fellow machine, not God. We are, of coarse, discussing my point of view. It's not so much an issue of weather they are alive or have biological components. It's an issue of weather or not they have a spirit/soul which I feel is critical to ascension.
            In the Stargate universe humans were created by the Ancients, and are an earlier form of Ancients. By your reasoning the humans in the Stargate universe would not be able to ascend because, like the Asurans they were created by the Ancients who are advanced humans. And the Ancients being the result of evolution, not creation (Before I Sleep) they would not be able to ascend either.

In Tao of Rodney, McKay says that inorder to ascend one would only need to bring their brain into the requierd state. There is no spirit/soul involved in the process.

As humans are able to ascend, albeit with the help of an Ancient, and the Ancients themselves of course ascended and the fact that non-human life forms (Anubis) can ascend, there is imo no reason why the Asurans should not be able to ascend. All they would have to do is get there brain into a similar state that Ancients/humans need to ascend.
            sigpic

Comment

yes they can

why you ask???
              Spoiler:
              well oma desala ascended daniel and his abydos mates with their clothes they were wearing so in some crazy idea way they can, if not then the asurans would be kicking themselves saying"a stupid ragg of clothes got to ascend and i didnt!!!!"
              sigpic

Comment

Just because they appeared to have clothes on when they were ascended doesn't mean she actually ascended the clothes

Comment

What for? Your point of view doesn't apply to the Stargate Universe...

Comment

Just my 2 pen'th, doesn't the whole SG story line go against what we were taught at school etc... about creation etc... Man being made in his image, blah, blah, blah........
                    http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

well... one possible argument is to assume that man/ancients/et cetera were made by 'God'.

from this point of view, we can say that the creation of god has created the asuran/replicator.

hence, indirectly, god has created (or is responsible for the creation of) the asurans, since he is the one who created the asuran's creators the way they are.
                      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                        In the Stargate universe humans were created by the Ancients, and are an earlier form of Ancients. By your reasoning the humans in the Stargate universe would not be able to ascend because, like the Asurans they were created by the Ancients who are advanced humans. And the Ancients being the result of evolution, not creation (Before I Sleep) they would not be able to ascend either.

In Tao of Rodney, McKay says that inorder to ascend one would only need to bring their brain into the requierd state. There is no spirit/soul involved in the process.

As humans are able to ascend, albeit with the help of an Ancient, and the Ancients themselves of course ascended and the fact that non-human life forms (Anubis) can ascend, there is imo no reason why the Asurans should not be able to ascend. All they would have to do is get there brain into a similar state that Ancients/humans need to ascend.

this is true. however do the Asurans have a subconscious mind as that is what they would need. We also saw this in SG-1 season five episode 21 'meridan' where daniel Jackson subconsciously talked to oma desala.
                        Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                        sigpic
                        sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

Originally posted by sg1adam View Post
                          Just my 2 pen'th, doesn't the whole SG story line go against what we were taught at school etc... about creation etc... Man being made in his image, blah, blah, blah........
                          You were taught that in school? Was it a catholic school or something?

Comment

God created man and so a machine cant ascend, you mix fiction with reality!
                            Ancients created humans in the Stargate universe, therefore, you say that the Ancients are "God" ? Very tricky reasoning, but it is what the series implies. And what we were taught at school isnt exact science, we dont know who or what God is, we can only speculate or just believe in it (realitycheck)
                            But humans can ascend, so the "other" creation of the Ancients, the replicators/assurans, should be able to ascend if they have a certain life energy that needs to be released.

Comment

I don't think so. A human being has three parts: body, mind, and spirit/soul. An Asuran has body and mind, but does he have a spirit/soul? I assume that's the key component in ascending.
                              Does they have mind or wise program?
                              Asgard in memoriam

Comment

Originally posted by Team SG-1*save the show*
                                this is true. however do the Asurans have a subconscious mind as that is what they would need. We also saw this in SG-1 season five episode 21 'meridan' where daniel Jackson subconsciously talked to oma desala.
                                Good point, it all depends how well they managed to mimick their creators. Another problem might be that they exists within a collective. Ascension appears to be something you have to do alone. it might not be possible to ascend if your mind is linked to other people.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X