X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
    Nope. It happened the other way around.

The Weir decision came first...then later, when deciding which route to take, they went with Carter.
    Personally, I'm not convinced that was the case, even if now that is what JM is saying. Up til recently its all been tightly worded rhetoric which if I were cynical, I'd say was designed to create ambiguity and headlines. To be honest, I can't imagine TPTB would openly come out and say "yes we ditched EW in favour of SC" and I'd guess that this is in response to the fact they are unsure as to what participation EW will have in S4. If this genuinely was the decision they made, why didnt they just say that originally? Methinks that there may be some retrospective spin on all this!
    What I think they have said (I believe there was an admission on a now removed clip somewhere on MGM?) is that they are moving SC across deliberately to try and capture SG1 fans. To my mind that would suggest that they started thinking about this way back to when SG1 was cancelled. At that point it seemed to me EW was very much still an important part of the SGA world and long term plans so my (and I think others) perception is that this constitutes direct replacement.
    So I'm afraid all this coupled with the lack of solid information about TH/EW in S4 (it now apparently "kind of hazy") only goes to reinforce that in my mind.

Perception is a powerful thing - easily formed and extremely difficult to change.
    Ultimately it comes down to individual opinion and reasoning.

To be honest, it really doesnt matter what the time lines or decision tree was in all this, the fact remains that TH/EW are disappearing from SGA and when it comes down to it, that is what I have a problem with.

As I say, just my opinion but I completely accept that others may have formed a different perception.

So, sorry to all those out there with their Carter voodoo doll in one hand and knitting needles poised to strike in the other.
    The impression that gives is that applies to everyone who is anti SC on SGA.

Having read most of the numerous threads that have sprung up around the whole EW situation, I'd have to say that time and time again I've seen it stated clearly that people do not have a problem with either the character of SC or with AT as an actress. In fact, in the majority of cases, my perception is that there is overwhelming support for AT and a recognition that this is an extremely difficult situtation for her.
    Of course some people do not like either SC or AT or even SG1 - they are entitled to that opinion but its not one I share. I love the show, character and the actress and think they are fantastic.
    BUT, like many others, that does not equate to wanting the cross over. So please do not assume that everyone, or even a majority, has it in for the character.

I wholeheartedly wish AT well on SGA and hope the many legions of her fans enjoy their continued time with the character. Sadly, irrespective of my loving the character of SC and my respect for AT, that simply is not enough left to tempt me back to SGA without TH/EW playing a full part. What a shame that TPTB couldnt see the opportunities there might have been between these two fantastic actresses and their characters.

And to anyone who might say "wait and see, it might be fantastic and TH/EW may still be very involved". Sorry but my cyncial old bones suggest that wont be the case. We've gone from main cast member to recurring cast member, to "actively involved in a great (3 ep) story arc" to "participation kinda hazy".
    The end of S3 was left so wide open as to the fate of EW. To my mind they are still trying to negotiate with TH on things but the lack of confirmation on any role/number of epiosdes in S4 leds me to suspect they are not having any luck. If I were in TH's shoes, I'm not sure I'd be all that keen to go back and do a small story arc and then disappear off into the world of Stargate "recurring role" (a la Rainbow Sun Franks) after being so shafted.

Maybe they can convince her - but my expectations would be fairly low in those circumstances. 3/4 ep arc, badly injured / comatosed, wakes, big emotional goodbye scenes, shipped off to earth to recuperate, never heard of again.
    The alternative is that she doesnt come back and they get the news that EW is dead. Lots of angst and remorse, flash backs and big emotional send off of coffin back to earth, never heard of again.

Same thing really.

Oh well, that ended up being a lot longer than I thought! Good viewing to all that continue with the show!
    Last edited by Kazan; 24 February 2007, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazan View Post
      Personally, I'm not convinced that was the case, even if now that is what JM is saying. Up til recently its all been tightly worded rhetoric which if I were cynical, I'd say was designed to create ambiguity and headlines. To be honest, I can't imagine TPTB would openly come out and say "yes we ditched EW in favour of SC" and I'd guess that this is in response to the fact they are unsure as to what participation EW will have in S4. If this genuinely was the decision they made, why didnt they just say that originally?
      Why should they? To prevent your conspiracy theory before it starts? Who asked them? In what dialogue?

Calling them liars is just foolish, imo.
      Last edited by scarimor; 24 February 2007, 01:34 AM.
      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
        Why should they? To prevent your conspiracy theory before it starts? Who asked them? In what dialogue?

Calling them liars is just foolish, imo.
        <Sigh> Well, as I was at pains to say, I am just expressing my opinion and explaining my perception on things and why I have reached them, which if you had taken the whole of my post you would have seen.
        I did not mention, nor do I believe there is a conspiracy so dont really know why you seem to jump to that conclusion.
        Maybe my preception comes about from being an old cynic, but 10 years of SG1 and all the goings on of TPTB and their track record does it for me!!!

And I most certainly did not call them liars so a) please do not place words on my part and b) do not call me a fool.
        I expressed my opinion and you should respect my right to hold it even if you do not agree. I respect your position and your right to express it.
        Thank you

Comment

Having read most of the numerous threads that have sprung up around the whole EW situation, I'd have to say that time and time again I've seen it stated clearly that people do not have a problem with either the character of SC or with AT as an actress. In fact, in the majority of cases, my perception is that there is overwhelming support for AT and a recognition that this is an extremely difficult situtation for her.
          Of course some people do not like either SC or AT or even SG1 - they are entitled to that opinion but its not one I share. I love the show, character and the actress and think they are fantastic.
          BUT, like many others, that does not equate to wanting the cross over. So please do not assume that everyone, or even a majority, has it in for the character.

I wholeheartedly wish AT well on SGA and hope the many legions of her fans enjoy their continued time with the character. Sadly, irrespective of my loving the character of SC and my respect for AT, that simply is not enough left to tempt me back to SGA without TH/EW playing a full part. What a shame that TPTB couldnt see the opportunities there might have been between these two fantastic actresses and their characters.

And to anyone who might say "wait and see, it might be fantastic and TH/EW may still be very involved". Sorry but my cyncial old bones suggest that wont be the case. We've gone from main cast member to recurring cast member, to "actively involved in a great (3 ep) story arc" to "participation kinda hazy".
          The end of S3 was left so wide open as to the fate of EW. To my mind they are still trying to negotiate with TH on things but the lack of confirmation on any role/number of epiosdes in S4 leds me to suspect they are not having any luck. If I were in TH's shoes, I'm not sure I'd be all that keen to go back and do a small story arc and then disappear off into the world of Stargate "recurring role" (a la Rainbow Sun Franks) after being so shafted.

Maybe they can convince her - but my expectations would be fairly low in those circumstances. 3/4 ep arc, badly injured / comatosed, wakes, big emotional goodbye scenes, shipped off to earth to recuperate, never heard of again.
          The alternative is that she doesnt come back and they get the news that EW is dead. Lots of angst and remorse, flash backs and big emotional send off of coffin back to earth, never heard of again.

Same thing really.

Oh well, that ended up being a lot longer than I thought! Good viewing to all that continue with the show!
          This is a great point. I agree that most SGA fans who are not happy with Carter coming to SGA have been very careful about not bashing AT/Carter. In fact, many have been very careful in making it clear that they like AT/Carter, but that they don't like Carter coming to SGA and what is happening to Weir -- I can completely understand that.

I disagree with you about your interpretation of JM's comments, but I respect your perspective. I really believe that the Weir decision and the Carter decision are not related, but I understand your skepticism.

Like Scarimor, I wonder what the other two options were that TPTB were pondering after making the Weir decision (whatever that really is), but I'm glad they went with AT/Carter.

Comment

<Sigh> Well, as I was at pains to say, I am just expressing my opinion
            Unlike those who make the decisions, you have no insight into their process, so how do you think you can form an opinion which is at odds with what they say is the case?

And I most certainly did not call them liars
            You're saying that you don't believe that what they say is true. That seems a simple accusation. Given that they know how they came to their creative decisions, and you don't, I stand by my opinion that such a claim is foolish.
            scarimor

Comment

Unlike those who make the decisions, you have no insight into their process, so how do you think you can form an opinion which is at odds with what they say is the case?

You're saying that you don't believe that what they say is true. That seems a simple accusation. Given that they know how they came to their creative decisions, and you don't, I stand by my opinion that such a claim is foolish.
              Anyone on this board is entitled to express their own personal opinion so long as they are polite, respectful and do not flame other members. Thats all I am doing and again say I respect your position and your right to present it - please allow others the same courtesy.

No I said I was skeptic and a cynic - emphasis on "I".
              I merely have formed an impression or perception of the situation based on a number of articles, quotes and previous events and from that an individual opinion. Unless you yourself have been privy to all the creative process or been involved in the discussion, neither you nor I know how this came about or the background to all this. Ergo neither of us can say definitively what went on or how this all played out. Simple fact is we have different interpretations of it but thats cool with me.
              Wish you all the best for future viewing
              Last edited by Kazan; 24 February 2007, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Anyone on this board is entitled to express their own personal opinion so long as they are polite, respectful and do not flame other members. Thats all I am doing and again say I respect your position and your right to present it - please allow others the same courtesy.

No I said I was skeptic and a cynic - emphasis on "I".
                I merely have formed an impression or perception of the situation based on a number of articles, quotes and previous events and from that an individual opinion. Unless you yourself have been privy to all the creative process or been involved in the discussion, neither you nor I know how this came about or the background to all this. Ergo neither of us can say definitively what went on or how this all played out. Simple fact is we have different interpretations of it but thats cool with me.
                Wish you all the best for future viewing
                Ok, so it's my opinion that they're telling the truth, and your opinion that they're not.

:blink:

The scope for "impressions" and "interpretations" fell away when they confirmed the facts. In the absence of any evidence that they're lying about their decision-making process, I'll accept the stated facts.
                scarimor

Comment

Ok, so it's my opinion that they're telling the truth, and your opinion that they're not.

:blink:

The scope for "impressions" and "interpretations" fell away when they confirmed the facts. In the absence of any evidence that they're lying about their decision-making process, I'll accept the stated facts.
                  Ditto. They have no valid and credible information to counter act what those in production are saying and yet they believe themselves to be omnipotent because of drawn out conclusions and of course senseless comments taken out of context and blown completely out of proportion. Or they make up claims to suit their own ideas. Plans, visions, and developments are always changing and occuring.

Again, all I can say is wait until the season shows and then jump to conclusions or rate your ideas based on what you see, not before...
                  Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Yep. From JM's blog:

*wondering who/what the other two possibilities were* Very glad they chose Sam/AT
                    Well I would assume that one of those would have been making Shep leader, the other bringing in someone entirely new. But if it is this way then I guess that means Carter's going to be leader for sure. In that case, I'm still cautious as to how they actually intend to write her as a supporting character, given the fact that she's a regular.
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                      I wish more people would just take at least one look and then say it sucks.
                      Hell, I did exactly that for SG1 season 9, no reason why I can't extend Atlantis the same courtesy.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        Look, no matter how much you want to be irrelevent, Joe did not say that.
                        Oh, I didn't say I wanted to be irrelevent but to clarify he did say "But in our case, to be brutally honest, they don’t really have any impact on creative decisions".

Comment

The Weir decision came first...then later, when deciding which route to take, they went with Carter.
                          Anyway, nobody seems to even qusetion WHY they're ditching Weir (for all intent and purpose) but bringing Carter in as a regular does make her Weir's replacement as one actor replacing another slot on a show. The producers have stated she's be brought over in part to lure SG1 fans over.

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                          I'm glad this news has come out. Maybe everyone will calm down a bit now now? Whatever my views were on the cast changes, NEVER have I felt anything but sympathy for AT. She's only doing her job!
                          I'm looking forward to the changes, and pray we get an exciting, dramatic and refreshed series.
                          Nobody faults AT for taking a job, for pity's sake, and I thought JM's remark about her taking the job was really odd as if he read the posts here and digested most of them he'd realize most fans are ticked off TPTB (of which AT nor any other actor has ever been a part of)...

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                          This is a great point. I agree that most SGA fans who are not happy with Carter coming to SGA have been very careful about not bashing AT/Carter. In fact, many have been very careful in making it clear that they like AT/Carter, but that they don't like Carter coming to SGA and what is happening to Weir -- I can completely understand that.

I disagree with you about your interpretation of JM's comments, but I respect your perspective. I really believe that the Weir decision and the Carter decision are not related, but I understand your skepticism.

Like Scarimor, I wonder what the other two options were that TPTB were pondering after making the Weir decision (whatever that really is), but I'm glad they went with AT/Carter.
                          The major problem SGA fans is not necessarily who is coming in, but that Weir is going out. if they can't write for Weir, what makes you think they can write for the next actor in line? (but yes, the writers excel at technobabble).

Comment

Maybe they've just decided that Weirs character isn't really needed that much, atleast not enough to warrant her regular status...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Maybe they've just decided that Weirs character isn't really needed that much, atleast not enough to warrant her regular status...
                              Or, maybe that's what you think...

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel View Post
                                Or, maybe that's what you think...
                                It is what I think, but that doesn't mean they don't think it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X