Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRO Carter on SGA season 4 & 5 spoilers (positive discussion only)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    "This Mortal Coil"? maybe. But I thought that not even mentioning her in "Miller's Crossing" compromised the integrity of the entire episode. I can sum up this by this paraphrase:

: So what's your next move?

: Well I can either ask the woman who's the foremost expert on Block & Human-form Milky Way Replicators, who helped develop the PWARW which is the only weapon that can destroy Asurans, for some assistance or I can feed myself to a Wraith.

(as McKay begins to dash into the room with the Wraith): McKay, what the hell are you doing?

: I decided on feeding myself to the Wraith.

Ack! I greened ya on another post so I can't again. This is great. It was the natural move to consult Carter on that one & to not even mention her was terrible. They could have said she was out of contact or something. Sheesh.

And on the other issue, I have no problem w/ Carter reviewing & giving the yea or nay on other scientist's work. As commander, she's not going to do all the work herself. But at times it would make sense to do more *consulting* than we've seen so far. Maybe we'll see a bit more of that in future eps.

Comment

I'm sensing a lot of hostilities, so I'll drop the issue after this... O'Neill is almost 60, though I'd love to see him in the field, that would be unrealistic. I have trouble thinking of a "realistic" example of a scientist who saved the Universe multiple times, outclassing the greatest minds of some races thousands of years more advanced than hers, who is then put in a delegation position. Carter isn't even "Head Scientist" she just approves McKay & Zelenka's ideas nowadays...

Where Jack peaked in his physical abilities (often complaining of knee & back problems, etc.), Carter's accomplishments never peaked she kept accomplishing greater and greater feats, and was then assigned to a non-scientific (and non-combat for that matter) position.

O'Neill also has a nicer position, hypothetically coordinating all offworld related activities, answering only to the president, where Carter/Weir (Expedition Leader) has mostly been seen either approving Shep or McKay's plans/ideas and coordinating day to day operations, with Jack or the IOA making the big decisions.
      Hmm I disagree. Carter makes life or death decisions each day and commands a cityship in another galaxy. It is a huge step up for her but like Jack she wasn't sure she was ready to leave the field. Also RDA is 57 we don't know how old Jack is.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        HOwever, i do think that it's odd that there's no mention. 'colonel carter cleared the mission' or 'i doubt the colonel will allow us to bring them back to the city'

Don't warp the plot/dialogue to MAKE a mention fit, but if the room is there, why not put it in? Why not acknowledge that the character exists in the universe?
        I agree..even though I didn’t think she fitted in the episode…it would have probably been appropriate to mention her..
        When i think about it...out of the episodes so far that she hasn't been present in...was she mentioned in any of them?
        sigpic

Comment

i don't think so.

she's missed 5 i believe. Miller's Crossing, Missing, Travelers, This Mortal Coil and....was the other Doppelganger?

In any case, i don't believe that she was even mentioned in any of the ones she's not in.

I agree with you, in most cases the only way she woudl have fit into the eps would have been a 20 second scene, however when they're doing stuff like looking for a missing officer(s) or dealing with threats to the city or its personnel, it's kinda odd that she's not even mentioned
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i don't think so.

she's missed 5 i believe. Miller's Crossing, Missing, Travelers, This Mortal Coil and....was the other Doppelganger?

In any case, i don't believe that she was even mentioned in any of the ones she's not in.

I agree with you, in most cases the only way she woudl have fit into the eps would have been a 20 second scene, however when they're doing stuff like looking for a missing officer(s) or dealing with threats to the city or its personnel, it's kinda odd that she's not even mentioned
            Hmmm I have a feeling she was in Doppleganger..though i could be wrong
            Thats true, it is odd that she's isn't even mentioned in regards to things like that. Maybe in the second half, in the two episodes that she won't be present in, they might mention her. I know they can't do it for every episode that she isn't in. But in the past, main characters who were absent from the episode were usually talked about somewhere..
            sigpic

Comment

Carter was in 6 eps for the first half. Which means she has 8 to go for the 2nd half. She is supposed to have 14 out of 20 eps for the total season.

She was in so far...

Adrift
              Lifeline
              Reunion
              Doppleganger
              Tabula Rasa
              The Seer
              sigpic

Comment

ah, thank you. so she missed four, and was not mentioned at all in those four.

see, in travelers and missing they could have just said 'the colonel authorized.....' . In mortal coil 'the colonel won't let them visit the city' and in miller's crossing it could have been mentioned about the colonel transferring custody of the wraith to the sgc or somethinhg like that.

not paragraphs and paragraphs, just one line

then again, teyla's absence wasn't mentioned at all for miller's crossing either. of course, her and sam's absence could have been easily explained with a single sentence

also, in miller's crossing, they were running around the sgc...and landry wasn't there. course that's cause they likely couldn't afford/didn't want to mess iwth getting beau up there (a case that, if sg1 was still being made, beau would be handy but now i imagine that he isn't) but they didn't even say where he was that i can recall.

so they're

Spoiler:
                transferring a space vampire from another galaxy, a dangerous prisoner if ever there was one, and BOTH of the involved co's aren't evenmentioned????
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think in "Miller's Crossing" one of the airmen or marines said that Colonel Carter has authorized something. I may have to rewatch.

So I love Carter grew up with her on SG-1 for 10 years. Wow I was like 18yo when SG-1 first started! I watched the premiere on Showtime after being curious from seeing the movie. My two favorite characters were immediatley O'neill and Carter.

Anyway, I am sorta wanting to see that SG-1 Carter but still become a really good leader of SGA. Hopefully we will get both in the 2nd half.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    So I love Carter grew up with her on SG-1 for 10 years. Wow I was like 18yo when SG-1 first started! I watched the premiere on Showtime after being curious from seeing the movie. My two favorite characters were immediatley O'neill and Carter.
                    Its amazing isn't it! I can't believe that I was 7 when sg1 first started i watched it because my parents did...
                    Like you, my two favourite characters were O'neill and Carter from the start

Anyway, I am sorta wanting to see that SG-1 Carter but still become a really good leader of SGA. Hopefully we will get both in the 2nd half.
                    So do I..
                    I have a feeling that we will...anyway at least we will see more of her in the second half
                    Last edited by Amaunet; 21 December 2007, 09:24 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm sensing a lot of hostilities, so I'll drop the issue after this... O'Neill is almost 60, though I'd love to see him in the field, that would be unrealistic. I have trouble thinking of a "realistic" example of a scientist who saved the Universe multiple times, outclassing the greatest minds of some races thousands of years more advanced than hers, who is then put in a delegation position. Carter isn't even "Head Scientist" she just approves McKay & Zelenka's ideas nowadays...

Where Jack peaked in his physical abilities (often complaining of knee & back problems, etc.), Carter's accomplishments never peaked she kept accomplishing greater and greater feats, and was then assigned to a non-scientific (and non-combat for that matter) position.

O'Neill also has a nicer position, hypothetically coordinating all offworld related activities, answering only to the president, where Carter/Weir (Expedition Leader) has mostly been seen either approving Shep or McKay's plans/ideas and coordinating day to day operations, with Jack or the IOA making the big decisions.
                      No hostility on my part, anyway. But what you call a "delegation" position, I would call a "managerial" or "leadership" position. Big difference in connotation between those, to my mind.

My LJ

Comment

Yeah, I think in "Miller's Crossing" one of the airmen or marines said that Colonel Carter has authorized something. I may have to rewatch.
                        nope AFAIK Carter wasn't mentioned (but hey neither was Teyla or Landry)

same here

I think Carter will be a very good leader. by now she's been in Atlantis for... what 5, 6 months, it takes some time to know how to run things. the back half will imo show more of her leadership skills and while we may not get to see the full SG-1 Carter again I do believe there'll be some situations along the way where it might at least seem as if we did
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          nope AFAIK Carter wasn't mentioned (but hey neither was Teyla or Landry)

same here

I think Carter will be a very good leader. by now she's been in Atlantis for... what 5, 6 months, it takes some time to know how to run things. the back half will imo show more of her leadership skills and while we may not get to see the full SG-1 Carter again I do believe there'll be some situations along the way where it might at least seem as if we did
                          Spoiler:
                          I read somewhere that one episode, likely "BAMSR" has Carter working at Hermiod's old station. So there might be some SG-1 Carter!
                          sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                            I read somewhere that one episode, likely "BAMSR" has Carter working at Hermiod's old station. So there might be some SG-1 Carter!
                            Spoiler:
                            IIRC the BAMSR trailer shows Carter on the bridge of the Deadalus (right?), so there's at least a chance to see this
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

also, in miller's crossing, they were running around the sgc...and landry wasn't there. course that's cause they likely couldn't afford/didn't want to mess iwth getting beau up there (a case that, if sg1 was still being made, beau would be handy but now i imagine that he isn't) but they didn't even say where he was that i can recall.

so they're

Spoiler:
                              transferring a space vampire from another galaxy, a dangerous prisoner if ever there was one, and BOTH of the involved co's aren't evenmentioned????
                              I think the leaders are missing by design not availability.

Sheppard had to have Landry’s authority to actually get Wallace to the Wraith, be sure the Wraith wouldn’t be killed, and go back to Atlantis a free man. But had they shown Sheppard going through Landry, even concerning the transfer of the Wraith, it would have diminished the impact of the ending. Part of the reason Miller’s Crossing works so well and is so thought provoking is that they have left so much to the viewer’s imagination. IMO, it is an extremely well crafted episode.

That doesn’t mean they couldn’t have mentioned Teyla.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                                Spoiler:
                                IIRC the BAMSR trailer shows Carter on the bridge of the Deadalus (right?), so there's at least a chance to see this
                                I want to see her lead. She doubted herself in Season 8 while trying to run SG-1 but she did a decent job. Mitchell took over for her in Season 9 & 10 so she did not have the opportunity. Now she can truly add to her character but still being the Carter we all fell in love with.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X