X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir.

Originally posted by prion View Post
    I remember reading a fan's dissection of one of Weir's actions on the show. It was negotiation, which failed miserably (oh wait, ep hasn't aired here yet). Said fan ranted about weir's horrid negotiating skills - which boils down to the fact that the writers DON'T know how to writer her character. Some are better than others and other writers should probably be forced to sit through some tapes on how to negotiate.

Weir is a very good character; the writers just need to stop sliding through her dialogue/actions and get serious. Instead, they reduce the character's air time. I suspect instead we'll just get more technobabble.

As for who should lead the expedition: Elizabeth. Just get some new writers.
    A big WORD to all this. I'm speaking as a Weir fan here. In The Game
    Spoiler:
    she proved herself to be as ineffective a negotiator as Sheppard and McKay.
    In Condemned and Progeny
    Spoiler:
    she was rude to leaders of advanced cultures on their turf.

I often get the feeling the writers haven't got the first clue about diplomacy which is why she comes across as a rookie in these delicate situations even though her CV states that she's supposed to be this amazing diplomat.

I think the writing for Weir has been, on the whole, appallingly inconsistent most of the time, as if they're not quite sure what her role is supposed to be. I felt that she was least objectionably written as a linguist (The Gift, Epiphany, Echoes). Her leadership was never really explored apart from showing her give the go-ahead to Sheppard's or McKay's plans, but we never really saw her put her foot down and take the initiative.

The ill-informed opinion of this lemming is that her reduced screentime in S4 will come as a huge relief to the writers who are clearly way out of their depth when it comes to writing her.

Comment

Liz.

Carter and McKay in the same room will probably blow up the city. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva View Post
        A big WORD to all this. I'm speaking as a Weir fan here. In The Game
        Spoiler:
        she proved herself to be as ineffective a negotiator as Sheppard and McKay.
        In Condemned and Progeny
        Spoiler:
        she was rude to leaders of advanced cultures on their turf.

I often get the feeling the writers haven't got the first clue about diplomacy which is why she comes across as a rookie in these delicate situations even though her CV states that she's supposed to be this amazing diplomat.

I think the writing for Weir has been, on the whole, appallingly inconsistent most of the time, as if they're not quite sure what her role is supposed to be. I felt that she was least objectionably written as a linguist (The Gift, Epiphany, Echoes). Her leadership was never really explored apart from showing her give the go-ahead to Sheppard's or McKay's plans, but we never really saw her put her foot down and take the initiative.
        While I totally agree that the writers have no idea how to write a world-class diplomat, including the problems with the specific episodes you point out, I have to say that I often find myself thinking that another actor could take those badly written lines and make something more out of them. I mean, I do think that Torri is a fantastic actress, and she's great in scenes where Elizabeth is being relaxed, or mother-henning her "boys." But when it comes to giving Weir enough gravitas as a leader -- I mean, in SG-1, Hammond spent a lot of time just listening to everyone's recommendations and saying "Do it." Yet Don S. Davis managed to make it feel like Hammond was truly in charge, and not just rubber-stamping everyone's recommendations. Weir agrees to Shep and McKay's insane plan of the week and it feels like they steamrolled her. I don't know -- maybe it's not even any one person's fault, perhaps it's because DSD was so much older than the rest of SG-1, that he could pull it off.

Not that Sam / AT is going to be any better -- the scenes in SG-1 where she has to defend her leadership always makes me cringe.

So I confess I voted "someone else," but really, with all the other cast changes taking place, Weir is not so bad that they need to change her, and Torri does have fantastic chemistry with everyone else in the cast. I really wish they wouldn't reduce her role for S4, it's just too many changes at once!
        Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
        Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
        -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Simple question with a simple answer -> DR. ELIZABETH WEIR

Anyone remember what happened in The Siege, when Cl. Everett cut Weir out of the loop? He almost had a riot on his hands. Sheppard told him to include Weir in on the plannings because the people of the expedition trusted her. And so did John.

It's never a good thing to cut the big curvy part out of the loop, it'll end bad.

Weir is and will always be the leader of Atlantis. In my opinion, there's no one else more qualified than she is. And I like the civilian side of the expedition. It makes it unique from SG1, which is supposed to be the whole idea.

Carter is an okay character. She's not my favorite (that would be Vala) but I don't necessarily hate her either. I just don't want to see her in Atlantis.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'm a big Sam fan, and I look forward to seeing her on SGA, but I don't want to see her there as leader of Atlantis. I want her on a ship or out on missions or figuring out tech.

Weir should continue running Atlantis, she's done a good job so far.
            sigpic

Comment

Liz always and forever... all the way !

Comment

Definetly Elizabeth!!!

But i can see why they need to get rid of her, in truth these guys don't have a clue how to write for her We've never gotten to see Elizabeth being good at all these things shes supposed to be able to do. While we'll more readily accept sam and what ever flaws her character may or may not have.

Bleh

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  As for who should lead the expedition: Elizabeth. Just get some new writers.
                  Amen to that! Nice to see someone else echoing this opinion on the writers.

Comment

Definitely Weir. I see no justification for Sam to come in and be leader.
                    As has been mentioned Atlantis is an international expedition and I don't think other countries, not to mention the IOA, would want someone from the US military taking over leadership of Atlantis.

Weir might not be perfect but I think she's done ok in what is a pretty tough job.

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Sam is my favorite character in the Stargate universe, and I'm thrilled that she is going to be on SGA this year. I do not want to see her leading Atlantis. She is a great leader, but she needs to be in the field not flying a desk. Also, if she's in charge of Atlantis that will have a negative impact on her role in the movies. I want to see Sam in command. She deserves it. However, I want her in command of her own ship, and I want to see her working with Elizabeth, the rightful leader of the expedition.

If TPTB are foolish enough to (spoilers because it is too awful to even think about)
                      Spoiler:
                      kill Elizabeth
                      then it doesn't matter who leads the expedition, because season 4 will be the end any way.

and working together in Atlantis please!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                        and working together in Atlantis please!
                        I'd love to see them working together too. Maybe mend some fences between them...

Also, I've forgotten to mention earlier but I don't understand why'd they want to militarize an international expedition, anyway...

Comment

There has been a Dr. Weir in Atlantis in one way or another for thousands and thousands of years. Remember Before I Sleep? Since Dr. Weir practically owns the place, she has to be the leader of Atlantis.

Originally posted by Vicky View Post
                          Also, I've forgotten to mention earlier but I don't understand why'd they want to militarize an international expedition, anyway...
                          I don't understand either. Of course there has to be a military presence there, but the leadership should remain civilian...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
                            Out of anyone on Earth Carter would have the most reason to be there out of anybody!

Jackson is a translator, McKay, Weir, Zelenka & others can already read Ancient. So no need ofr DJ to be there.

Teal'c would be a good warrior because of his tactical fighting experience, not to mention Replicator experience. However barring that, he would be better off in the MW with the Jaffa problems.

Vala isn't really useful either, there is less in Pegasus for her to steal, con etc because all the planets are primitive.

Mitchell would probably be good for a ship commander because of his flying expertise. Other than that, I doubt him & Shep could function together in the same team.

That leaves Carter. One of if not the best & smartest human scientists going today (IMO smarter than McKay). Atlantis is the most advanced city that's been come across as of yet. It contains a Lantean Database filled with all their knowledge, schematics, plans etc, etc. The new enemy is Replicators. Which she is the foremost expert on. Hence she has more reason than anyone, including all the main SGA team members to be there. The only ones who probably would be of more benefit with everything Atlantis/Wraith/Replicators would be Asgards. They cost too much to put in regularly, so aren't ever going to make them a regular recurring character.

However I don't think she should be the leader of the expedition. Personally I think they already have the perfect charcter in Col,Caldwell. MP to me is the best actor on the show. So I think they should hire him as a full time cast member then put him as the military leader of Atlantis. With Weir perhaps in charge of all the scientists. A bit like what happened in 'Instinct' when Shep took sick. That would provide good drama & stories to have such a thing happen!
                            Well I don't know what show you've been watching for the past ten years but on Stargate SG1 Dr Daniel Jackson is the man who opened the gate here on Earth, solved the puzzle allowing us to travel to Atlantis in the first place, is a warrior, a scholar, a linguist, a former ascended being, a true hero who died saving an entire planet, a man who also died saving Jacks life, and who has time and time again run rings around Carter and her totally inside the box way of looking at things. He truly does belong in Atlantis.

Then again seeing the way you have reduced all the characters except Carter to a fraction of thier whole I guess the version of the show you watch is the only one you can see through those AT/Carter tinted glasses.

That said, I still don't want any of them there at the expense of the existing character/actors.

BTW are you saying that a puppet costs more than AT? Wow, I never knew that she worked so cheap, perhaps that is why they are sending her to Atlantis to save themselves some money.
                            sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

I love Carter, but I don't want to see her chained to a desk as Weir often is. I want her to be called in at times when her talents as a soldier and scientist can be put to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                I love Carter, but I don't want to see her chained to a desk as Weir often is. I want her to be called in at times when her talents as a soldier and scientist can be put to good use.
                                I think it would have been far better to bring in Carter,( if they really must have her on the show) for maybe three or four good episodes. That way they could have kept Weir and maybe even Carson.

14 episodes is just way too many, I can't see them making her the one in charge of Atlantis as the character just doesn't fit. I don't think she fits on Atlantis at all, I don't like Mackay around her and I am sure her being there will destroy the Mackay/Sheppard relationship.
                                sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Working...
                                X