Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    <snip>

One more thing. Did you ever notice that Carter is written mostly like a man? She is a soldier, she lacks femininity, and her character isn't so complex - most of the things she does on the show has to do with technobebble. She was SG - 1's token woman. Where are the deep (romantic, even!) feelings? They might be hinted at but not really adressed. Where are the mistakes? There are none - okay maybe just one. But my point is, her character doesn't threaten the concept of male dominating world like Elizabeth's. (and the way they write Carter is again another form of discrimination - fine, we'll ahve a woman in the show, and she gets to be a soldier too, but she won't be a real woman. Really great.) *phew* The psychologist in me just gets angry every time I encounter prejudice and discrimination against women.

Been there. Posted my first post. Still feeling anti.

Oh and not to forget the cheering up parisindy requested: I got engaged. Felt too happy to feel anti.
    Bingo Anuna. She feels one dimensional to me. Even when she was w/ Pete, I thought is this woman really in love, or just playing at it. Her feelings for Jack was no more clear. Jack looked almost like a fool compared to her in expressing his feelings.
    I used to work at a law firm once upon a time. There were 4 senior partners, one of who is a woman. We had gone to lunch one day, and conversation went to family life. Her comment to me was "I am a lawyer first, woman second and mother last. And you need to learn this too, because this is the only way you will get ahead in life". That was such a surprise to me. How can there not be more balance? Why does my work have to be the top and my family and myself take a back seat?
    Carter definitely deserves her promotion, if for nothing else, for being a part of SG1 for so long. I just wish they wrote her softer? That is not the word I am looking for, just can't find the right one.
    sig made by me

Comment

Elizbaeth was such a complex character from the start. She might have seemed a bit idealistic in the beginning, but remeber "38 minutes" and the way she confronted Kavanaugh. She wasn't sure about what options they have, will their plan work, but she stood behind every single decision she made, wrong or right. That makes her my heroine. She seems realistic and not perfect - but hey who in this world is perfect? What was that what landry told her? "Succes is not final, faliure is not fatal, it's the strenght to continue that counts." That's something everybody in this world can use and learn from.

I don't like "warrior princess" type (couldn't watch Xena. It was sooo... ugh). Damsel in distress makes me wanna vomit. female characters I really like are Elizabeth, Captain Janeway (who was criticized just like Elizabeth) and Laura Roslin.
      Elizabeth represents the perfect balance - a warrior princess (she can take care of herself without having some one defend her), a damsel in distress (not afraid to admit when she's in over her head), woman who knows her own mind, a leader who is soft and hard whatever the occasion demands. She is multi-dimensional, without being a ninny (ummm is that word used anymore?).
      sig made by me

Comment

Oh and not to forget the cheering up parisindy requested: I got engaged. Felt too happy to feel anti.
        I love this thread. I have so many thoughts regarding all your comments regarding how women are viewed in fiction and IRL but I haven't had breakfast yet, so my brain's a jumble. LOL.

But I just wanted to say - congratulations Anuna, this is wonderful news. Definitely not a day for feeling anti! Its great when stuff like this happens and we are reminded of what is really important.

Be back later - once I prop my eyes fully open. LOL.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
          Carter definitely deserves her promotion, if for nothing else, for being a part of SG1 for so long. I just wish they wrote her softer? That is not the word I am looking for, just can't find the right one.
          abstinent?

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post

I don't think Teyla is wise beyond her years, more like wise beyond the experience a farmer should have.
            she's way too self righteous to fit anywhere near the definition of wise.
            I always kinda saw her as the type of woman who ends up alone, same as Carter.
            still the cliche generally holds
            liked the perfect sentences bit, really cracked me up

I guess Heightmeyer is the only real woman in atlantis left to write for now
            The perfect sentances should indicate the wisdom thing, LOL Teyla could've been so much better written. But why making effort when there is a well versed cliche to employ?

Bingo Anuna. She feels one dimensional to me. Even when she was w/ Pete, I thought is this woman really in love, or just playing at it. Her feelings for Jack was no more clear. Jack looked almost like a fool compared to her in expressing his feelings.
            I used to work at a law firm once upon a time. There were 4 senior partners, one of who is a woman. We had gone to lunch one day, and conversation went to family life. Her comment to me was "I am a lawyer first, woman second and mother last. And you need to learn this too, because this is the only way you will get ahead in life". That was such a surprise to me. How can there not be more balance? Why does my work have to be the top and my family and myself take a back seat?
            Oh I'm glad you brought up Pete. When I watched that I was way beyond Sam/Jack shipping and I thought that Pete was generally one sweet, tough insecure guy. Maybe too good for her? He was in love with her and he gave her all the chances and all the time she needed, but she simply couldn't choose ... she could spare the poor guy's time.

Now about the work... that kind of thinking is every day more present in my part of the world. I consider myself to be smart young woman and I simply won't accept to put one very important aspect of my life to have a career. Why? I don't live for my work, my work should help me to live a better life (earning money). I wasn't born to spend all of my wake hours at work. I just won't have that and I don't like female characters (in books, movies, TV shows) that send us that kind of message.

Now regarding Elizabeth... I wish they have given her more space and screen time so we could see her playful version, and not just a workaholic. But her dedication to her work comes from responsibility; she is responsible for all those poeple in Atlantis. It's not about career and being important and succesful, and I respect that trait.

Elizabeth represents the perfect balance - a warrior princess (she can take care of herself without having some one defend her), a damsel in distress (not afraid to admit when she's in over her head), woman who knows her own mind, a leader who is soft and hard whatever the occasion demands. She is multi-dimensional, without being a ninny (ummm is that word used anymore?).
            Ooooh, I learned an new word!!! Yay!!!

She is one of those rare female characters who can be wrong, scared, unsure, and still she won't be the clasicall, helpless damsel in distress, but a real person who tries to find her way out.

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
            I love this thread. I have so many thoughts regarding all your comments regarding how women are viewed in fiction and IRL but I haven't had breakfast yet, so my brain's a jumble. LOL.

But I just wanted to say - congratulations Anuna, this is wonderful news. Definitely not a day for feeling anti! Its great when stuff like this happens and we are reminded of what is really important.

Be back later - once I prop my eyes fully open. LOL.
            Thank you for your congratulations and for the people who wanted detalis. me and my boyfriend (I'm still not used to call him 'fiancee'!!) - we don't live in the same town so it was "done" with help of our mobile phones. Modern love, but romantic nontheless. I'll see him on tuesday. can't wait!!! *jumps*
            Last edited by Anuna; 18 August 2007, 07:51 AM.
            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Hi all been lurking for the most part here but I am right there with you here is the couches people have been asking for

I do need to lay down on one of them
              sigpic
              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Hello poundpuppy! Feel free to join us! It's always fun on anti couch.

Comment

Anuna...omg thats so awesome! SQUEAAAAAAAAAAAA! again!

Okay i've had a really bad couple of days so its noon and i'm not awake yet lol

so i will respond later

welcome PP!

*flops on couch with her stuffie for a nap*
                  Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                  ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                  Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Hello again parisindy!!! You're in Canada? What's the local time?

Comment

Hello again parisindy!!! You're in Canada? What's the local time?
                      *looks around watches an rcmp riding a moose stroll by an igloo* Yup Canada hehehe

12:36 pm (so says my laptop) but i went to bed at 4am and i couldn't sleep..its been a rough couple of days with no end in site but you guys have helped distract me and cheer me some... ((hugs))
                      Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

Glad we cheered you up. I'm on the other side of the world, in Croatia. It's 8:57 p.m. here and i'm having a very late coffee (I'm an addict); listening to gentle music and thinking about making a vid.

Comment

Glad we cheered you up. I'm on the other side of the world, in Croatia. It's 8:57 p.m. here and i'm having a very late coffee (I'm an addict); listening to gentle music and thinking about making a vid.
                          oooo Croatia thats cool! mmmmm coffee i adore iced coffee especially
                          i am trying to give it up though its really not helping my waist line

do you have live journal Anuna?

oops must stay on topic.... season 4...pooey~
                          Spoiler:

Comment

I got engaged. Felt too happy to feel anti.
                            Congratulations!!

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                            I guess Heightmeyer is the only real woman in atlantis left to write for now
                            If only she had more screentime we might be seeing some sort of development for her. Well, I'm still looking for it in the 4 episodes we got so far. And I really hope she'll be in 1 or maybe 2 episodes in season 4. But I wouldn't be upset much if we didn't see her. I'd be pouting a lot instead.

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                            oops must stay on topic.... season 4...pooey~
                            LOL!!! Do we have to? *puppy-dog look + pout*
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              LOL!!! Do we have to? *puppy-dog look + pout*
                              awww heck most of the relationship threads are just general chatting hehe so i can't see why not as long as we are good sometimes hehe
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Hehehehe.... as long as we try and steer it back on topic we're good.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X