Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the most disturbing thing about that interview for me was:
    "we're definitely using the Season Three model on Season Four as opposed to a Season One and Two model,"

I really didn't like season 3, and without my favorite characters there season 4 will be even worse!
    season 3 had the weakest stories and lack of content in my opinion
    they tried to cover it up with special effects but it didn't work for me
    he talks about season three as a "character building" season, but character building has to develop with the story, sort of a "by the way" thing
    not have stories ad-hoc for character moments- that's actually what soaps do.

besides what's the point of character building when you're just gonna off them in the cheapest most meaningless way and forget about them the next episode

Comment

Originally posted by dana View Post
      I just skimmed through that interview (searched the text in my firefox for 'Weir' ) and the thing is, they don't have to tell us anything. I don't think we have any right to know what's happening at the set with the cast and the TPTB, we're just supposed to watch the damn show. I think that is what he's been trying to say. 'Stop being so nosy, it's our decision/reason'.

Still very much anti.

*goes play sims 2* (great thing to take your mind of things ) At least my Sim!Atlantis has all main characters and no one is going to die. There.
      That's true, but they just keep digging deeper holes. It's like everybody has a different story. There's no coordination. Am I saying pick a lie and stick with it? Maybe.

And I've been working out my frustrations today by polishing brass. Shiny.

Originally posted by kimaken View Post
      If you read the article on the GW Homepage, "Opinions: Letters to the Editor", the editor comments at the end about a conversation with one of the producers, which pretty much lays the blame on the actors but without actually committing to any specific persons or instances as proof. It still comes across as ambiguous posturing because they really can't explain what they did or why they did it.

I don't know why these PTB can't just come right out and say "the character(s) no longer work with the direction we want to take the show so we decided to make changes at this time" or give something else that sounds like a more reasonable explanation instead of these vague references to mysterious happenings going on behind the scenes that they really can't talk about but we'd undertand if we really knew what was going on...yada, yada, yada.

My personal opinion is that TPTB screwed up big time by misjudging the SGA fanbase and every time they try to clarify matters and thus win back the fans, they end up opening their mouths only to insert their very big feet--shoes and all!
      That's kinda the opposite of what they first said. We decided to make a change, so this character had to go. Odd and odder. Someone smart should do a timeline of the reasons for getting rid of Weir starting back with the BW interview. *hints and goes back to polishing*

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
      Everyone is trying to cover their buttocks for the bad decisions, IMO.
      Why am I hearing Forrest Gump?
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
        "we're definitely using the Season Three model on Season Four as opposed to a Season One and Two model,"

I really didn't like season 3, and without my favorite characters there season 4 will be even worse!
        he talks about season three as a "character building" season, but character building has to develop with the story, sort of a "by the way" thing

besides what's the point of character building when you're just gonna off them in the cheapest most meaningless way and forget about them the next episode
        Now we got them! Ha! We figured it out - they are turning Atlantis into a soap. There! (sorry guys I just couldn't resist writing this).

Story has to affect characters and they change because of that. I think that is a line from Celcools signature. You dont twist and turn characters upside down to make them fit into the story. if you decide A will happen, you have to think about how A will affect the characters; which means you have to think about them as if they were real people. (at least that's what I do when i write something) I think only then you get good results. good characters and decent character development doesn't happen over night or by chance. You can't leave it only to actors either, you have to help them along too. Too much work? Could be.

Now what could I polish? Suggestions SR?
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Hey again. Sorry for the double post, but I didn't see this before.

That disturbed me profoundly. Don't most fans say that S1 was by far the best? I know it was for me. And I even like S2 better than the last half of S3. Put Submersion, The Ark, and Vengeance up against The Storm, The Eye, Siege 1,2,3 and see what looks better. Even Michael, Coup D'Etat and Critical Mass are better IMHO. And we won't even talk about the so-called comedies.

And what character building are they talking about? I must have slept through that. What more do we know about anyone? Who has matured, grown wiser, braver, more stable? Did we have to hear in Sateda
          Spoiler:
          John tell us that he'd die for his team?
          Anyone who saw any of S1 knows that. I could rant on, but you get the idea. Maybe some of you disagree, and I'm willing to adjust my thoughts. But I don't know what they mean by character building. Maybe they mean the characters will have more touchy feely conversations. In which case I will need anti-nausea medication. Or maybe just more Scotch.

Anuna, just grab a rag and start rubbing something till it shines.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

That disturbed me profoundly. Don't most fans say that S1 was by far the best? I know it was for me. And I even like S2 better than the last half of S3. Put Submersion, The Ark, and Vengeance up against The Storm, The Eye, Siege 1,2,3 and see what looks better. Even Michael, Coup D'Etat and Critical Mass are better IMHO. And we won't even talk about the so-called comedies.

And what character building are they talking about? I must have slept through that. What more do we know about anyone? Who has matured, grown wiser, braver, more stable? Did we have to hear in Sateda
            Spoiler:
            Anyone who saw any of S1 knows that. I could rant on, but you get the idea. Maybe some of you disagree, and I'm willing to adjust my thoughts. But I don't know what they mean by character building. Maybe they mean the characters will have more touchy feely conversations. In which case I will need anti-nausea medication. Or maybe just more Scotch.

I'm still sticking with my argument that best John - character - building moments were in:

The Rising (you learn pretty much everything about him then)

TS/TE

Siege

Epiphany.

He doesn't have to say he would die for his team - after you watch The Eye it's clear.
            Season 1 had the best stories. Season 2 was also good; with Critical Mass being an extraordinary episode IMO. Everybody was busy, doing something, everybody was part of the story. The best eps in S3 are The Real World and Common Ground. The rest of it... SR, pass that Scotch, please. I think I could use some.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              Now we got them! Ha! We figured it out - they are turning Atlantis into a soap. There! (sorry guys I just couldn't resist writing this).

Story has to affect characters and they change because of that. I think that is a line from Celcools signature. You dont twist and turn characters upside down to make them fit into the story. if you decide A will happen, you have to think about how A will affect the characters; which means you have to think about them as if they were real people. (at least that's what I do when i write something) I think only then you get good results. good characters and decent character development doesn't happen over night or by chance. You can't leave it only to actors either, you have to help them along too. Too much work? Could be.

Now what could I polish? Suggestions SR?
              You remember that? James Duff, the creator of The Closer, has said it and I wholeheartedly agree with him and appreciate him for having such respect for his characters.

S4 sounds so soap-operish with Teyla pregnancy on a scifi show.

Spoiler:

LOL

I would agree, that there was almost none subtle character development (hey maybe they don't know the meaning of this) but there was this awesome team dynamic building which seemed the best until now and now they've ruined it with all the cast changes. If there was anybody from the cast who didn't get along with somebody, it certainly wasn't showing in any way on the show.

What Heaven said, that's what happened:
              but character building has to develop with the story, sort of a "by the way" thing
              not have stories ad-hoc for character moments- that's actually what soaps do
              I'm still sticking with my argument that best John - character - building moments were in:

The Rising (you learn pretty much everything about him then)

TS/TE

Siege

Epiphany.

He doesn't have to say he would die for his team - after you watch The Eye it's clear.
              Season 1 had the best stories. Season 2 was also good; with Critical Mass being an extraordinary episode IMO. Everybody was busy, doing something, everybody was part of the story. The best eps in S3 are The Real World and Common Ground. The rest of it... SR, pass that Scotch, please. I think I could use some.
              And those two are the episodes I watched first, they got me hooked to the show. What luck, huh? I saw one of the best first. No wonder I immediately saw Sparky. In TRW, it was John helping Elizabeth and in CG, it was Elizabeth worrying about John with the hurt look on her face while watching him on the monitor.
              Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
              at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Celcool, don't remind me of those scenes (wrong thread I know) - those moments in CG are brilliant, wonderfully played by all actors and profoundly disturbing. Every time I watch CG I have a need to break something.

And yup, there was team dynammics development. It can also be seen in CG. And yes, I remeber that quote by James Duff - because it's true and I wholeheartedly agree with him. If you want your characters to be beliavable, you ahve to treat them like real people and not wallpapers. And if yous tart kicking characters out, the whole team dynammics thing goes straight out of the window.

SR, I cleaned my windows today. Does that count?

Comment

SR, I cleaned my windows today. Does that count?
                  You bet. Now I'm going to go sharpen my knives and find something to chop.
                  sigpic

Comment

You bet. Now I'm going to go sharpen my knives and find something to chop.
                    *almost chokes over her turkey sandwich*

Did I say turkey sandwich? Yup. I think i need another one.

Comment

they tried to cover it up with special effects
                      but it didn't work for me
                      That's exactly what I think. Coincidentally, the article in question is about the new station... BTW, have you noticed how ships and stations (and even characters ) are regularly appearing and disappearing on Stargate lately? LOL, are they suffering from some sort of bipolar disorder?
                      sigpic

Comment

Both that and collective amnesia. They need Dr. Phil over there, but I wonder how long he would last.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                          BTW, have you noticed how ships and stations (and even characters ) are regularly appearing and disappearing on Stargate lately? LOL, are they suffering from some sort of bipolar disorder?
                          yeah. they're just eye candy

Comment

Both that and collective amnesia. They need Dr. Phil over there, but I wonder how long he would last.
                            LOL killed off soon and forgotten the next episode. Not safe coming on Stargate, poor characters you play.
                            Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                            at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

As long as you don't have a name for your character and you're stil recurring you're pretty safe.
                              Doctors are never safe, and Atlantis has plenty of those.

Ever since Chuck has gotten an official name, he stepped up on the ladder of death.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                As long as you don't have a name for your character and you're stil recurring you're pretty safe.
                                Doctors are never safe, and Atlantis has plenty of those.

Ever since Chuck has gotten an official name, he stepped up on the ladder of death.
                                no kidding! I am waiting for the Lorne one too. It's like from Pokemon -- we're blasting off again!

** the wine w/ dinner was really good. pardon my silliness. **
                                sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X