Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
    As for the focus group thing, you may say it's crappy but there is probably more at play in lowering Weir's presence. The focus group apparently is the reason why one of the MAIN characters of HOUSE is being offed. As for the focus group, it wasn't confirmed but implied that they might have been in use...JM did wonder if he said that "focus groups" were used to the result of the Weir status.
    JM is denying the "focus group" talk this morning:

Anonymous #r writes: “Since you used focus groups to off Dr. Weir…”

Answer: We did?

Personally, I think it was more a personality conflict between Torri and TPTB. That seems to be the root of set conflicts anyway.

I don't know where you got that info on "House" as everyone is coming back next season.

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post

Personally, I think it was more a personality conflict between Torri and TPTB. That seems to be the root of set conflicts anyway.

I don't know where you got that info on "House" as everyone is coming back next season.
      Rumors and not to be funny, but so is Weir on SGA.

In any event... I did mention he used it as an example laced with implication and nothing more in his discussion. I don't know, personality conflicts might be a scenario. But I see that as petty and his earlier mention of "focus groups", says from my perspective that personality may not be the only cause.

We have no idea, one moment we get an implication and secondly we get an idea that it might be part of the whole story. All in all, it really doesn't matter does it----What's done is done and we still don't have the full facts. Until we get a full announcement explaining the details, which I doubt...we'll be jumping at almost any possibility.
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
        What do you mean by online fans? I've been to many a forum where one of the most popular thread is "Kill Weir" right next to "I love Zelenka". GW is not, and very far from, the only site where fans converge to be disgruntled or to gush. And I think this seems to be the problem. Many people seem to come up with numbers or statements using GW as the main source of their proofs. So what is JM to do?!
        Well, the latest "Yay or Nay to Carter in Atlantis" poll suggests a Carter (SG-1 fans) and Weir (SGA fans) split:

Since we have no evidence or reason to believe online fans elsewhere, or even non online fans' sampling would be much different, Dr. Weir should be in as many eps as Carter next season.

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post

LOL If they didn't, WHO did? Skiffy? MGM?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
          Well, the latest "Yay or Nay to Carter in Atlantis" poll suggests a Carter (SG-1 fans) and Weir (SGA fans) split:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1427/pollvc4.png

Since we have no evidence or reason to believe online fans elsewhere, or even non online fans' sampling would be much different, Dr. Weir should be in as many eps as Carter next season.

LOL If they didn't, WHO did? Skiffy? MGM?
          Pretty much any poll I've seen about Weir leaving/Carter coming has been split right down the middle. Which leaves me asking again about the ratings question. If you want more people to watch, why not have both?

Of course, some will say Weir is still in the show - she is in 4 episodes. But I think if anyone on GW supported a character on Atlantis that was already a main/regular character and that character ended up getting only 4 episodes they'd be upset/irked too. I do not consider "4" as being an acceptable number - not when we had 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
            Pretty much any poll I've seen about Weir leaving/Carter coming has been split right down the middle. Which leaves me asking again about the ratings question. If you want more people to watch, why not have both?
            Id' be happy if both Weir and Carter would be on the show with equal onscreen time.

One poll of who should be the leader of Atlantis expedition isn't split down the middle though. Elizabeth is leading with 70 % while Carter has 19 %. It's quite clear who the majority folks who voted want.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...74#post6208974

Of course, some will say Weir is still in the show - she is in 4 episodes. But I think if anyone on GW supported a character on Atlantis that was already a main/regular character and that character ended up getting only 4 episodes they'd be upset/irked too. I do not consider "4" as being an acceptable number - not when we had 20.
            4 isn't acceptable in any way for a character such as Elizabeth Weir, who used to be one of the main characters. The number is insulting to the fans and the actress, quite frankly.
            Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
            at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
              One poll of who should be the leader of Atlantis expedition isn't split down the middle though. Elizabeth is leading with 70 % while Carter has 19 %. It's quite clear who the majority folks who voted want.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...74#post6208974
              Oops, I missed that one... The question is more appropriate, and it has more voters than the one I used. There you go:

Bring back Dr. Weir!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                4 isn't acceptable in any way for a character such as Elizabeth Weir, who used to be one of the main characters. The number is insulting to the fans and the actress, quite frankly.
                'The fans?' I find that quite insulting, frankly.

Comment

Well, you shouldn't because you're obviously not a Dr. Weir fan. That's what Celcool meant in case you didn't notice.
                  sigpic

Comment

Of course that's what I meant. Thank you, mcbarr.
                    Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                    at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                      Oops, I missed that one... The question is more appropriate, and it has more voters than the one I used. There you go:

Bring back Dr. Weir!!
                      Just goes to show that more people are unhappy with the changes for season four than are happy.

I feel so bad for TH, a wonderful lady who really doesn't deserve any of this. I think TPTB know they have made a really bad decision but just don't have the b**ls to back down now.
                      sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                        Just goes to show that more people are unhappy with the changes for season four than are happy.
                        No it doesn't. It shows that on this forum there are more people who support Weir being in charge that voted in the poll than there were people who support Carter being in charge that voted in the poll.

Further, there are people who aren't happy about the leadership situation but are still excited or cautiously optimistic about Season 4 because of other changes.
                        I feel so bad for TH, a wonderful lady who really doesn't deserve any of this. I think TPTB know they have made a really bad decision but just don't have the b**ls to back down now.
                        I don't feel bad for her except that I'll miss her presence and hope that the situation is as friendly as it seems to be.

And I don't think it's a bad decision, nor do I think TPTB feel it is either. As much as I appreciate Weir, she was in an untenable position politically. The reality that I saw was that it was only a matter of time before the command structure was militarized given the magnitude of the threats they faced on a regular basis. The only reason they hadn't done it sooner is that they want to maintain their control of the expedition, which they know they'd lose once the city was militarized...but after seeing First Strike,
                        Spoiler:
                        it's pretty clear to me that the IOA has no problems superseding her authority and give command to the military when it suits their purposes.
                        At any rate, Weir isn't going to be there, I am happy that the position is going to be filled by Carter because I think she has skills that will mesh quite nicely in Atlantis. And while I would have preferred that Weir be kept on to be earth's chief negotiator, sadly it's clearly not in the cards.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                          And I don't think it's a bad decision, nor do I think TPTB feel it is either. As much as I appreciate Weir, she was in an untenable position politically. The reality that I saw was that it was only a matter of time before the command structure was militarized given the magnitude of the threats they faced on a regular basis. The only reason they hadn't done it sooner is that they want to maintain their control of the expedition, which they know they'd lose once the city was militarized...but after seeing First Strike,
                          Spoiler:
                          it's pretty clear to me that the IOA has no problems superseding her authority and give command to the military when it suits their purposes.
                          At any rate, Weir isn't going to be there, I am happy that the position is going to be filled by Carter because I think she has skills that will mesh quite nicely in Atlantis. And while I would have preferred that Weir be kept on to be earth's chief negotiator, sadly it's clearly not in the cards.
                          Again, I think fandom is pretty much split 50/50. For every person who doesn't want Weir to leave there's 1 who does. For every person who wants Carter not to cross over, there's one who wants her to.

Besides, TPTB have said their intention was that Weir was never going to be gone for good. And I hope that sooner rather then later, they fix what I perceive to be a huge mistake. Because I'm not happy that Carter is going to be coming over (nothing against AT or any of her fans, BTW).

EDIT: I think the SG-1/Atlantis magazine's poll has a better mix of viewers. Results were in their latest issue

Comment

Again, I think fandom is pretty much split 50/50. For every person who doesn't want Weir to leave there's 1 who does. For every person who wants Carter not to cross over, there's one who wants her to.

Besides, TPTB have said their intention was that Weir was never going to be gone for good. And I hope that sooner rather then later, they fix what I perceive to be a huge mistake. Because I'm not happy that Carter is going to be coming over (nothing against AT or any of her fans, BTW).
                            I agree with you.

And I don't think that the changes being made will help the show at all, far from it. I am only one viewer and speaking only for myself I have lost interest in the show. I am fed up with getting to know a character or characters only to have them removed. It happened on SG1 and it's happening on Atlantis. I don't feel willing to invest any more of my time on a show when a character I dislike is being introduced as a replacement for one that I do like.

If Weir does come back full time, hopefully with Carson by her side, then so shall I.

And if fandom is split 50/50 then what was the point? For every Carter fan gained they will lose a Weir fan. Then if you factor in the Carson fans who have given up on the show they could be looking at a real big loss next season. Given the ratings this season I don't think they can afford to lose any of the fans.
                            sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

EDIT: I think the SG-1/Atlantis magazine's poll has a better mix of viewers. Results were in their latest issue

The SG-1/Atlantis magazine poll showed that Weir was more popular than Telya in terms of SGA favorite female character, but not by an overwhelming amount. Sam was also chosen SG-1 female favorite character --- and it was also mentioned that Sam is an "incredibly popular character". (The only other character that was mentioned in terms of being very popular besides Sam was Daniel --"an enormously popular character". Sam is well-liked by this better mix of viewers. Weir is also well-liked, but I think Teyla seems to be too.

There is a split in fandom about whether it is good to have Sam crossover. There is a split also between whether Weir should be reduced or not. But regardless, it is the casual viewer that will matter the most. There is a split in SG-1 fandom on the new direction -- some like it and some do not. But regardless, a large portion of viewers have left SG-1 after the new direction. That is what really mattered -- losing a siginficant proportion of viewers.

It remains to be seen what will happen with SGA. Unfortunately, the ratings for SGA have been going down over the last three seasons regardless. Whether this trend can change given the new changes remains to be seen. It seems that it has already sunk quite low in the ratings with the original team (minus Ford).

I would have liked both Weir and Sam on Atlantis. I would have liked to see interactions between Sam/Weir just like in New Order. For some reason TPTB decided that Weir should be reduced -- I have no idea why but I can only speculate that they want a military leader at this time. They had three possibilities and they went with Sam (we don't know the other two and it seems we never will out of respect for the other actors). Since Weir was going to get reduced regardless of whether Sam or someone else would be the leader, I'm glad they went with Sam. She makes sense to me, given her military and science skills.

I am very surprised that they took the leading lady and reduced her time. I would have been so upset if they had done that to Sam in SG-1. We might not ever know the reasons, but if they wanted a military leader, I'm glad they went with Sam. I am only an occasional viewer of Atlantis. I like it, but I'm not crazy about it like the original SG-1 team. But with Sam there, I'll be watching more regularly. In the meantime, I hope both TH and PM get really good roles that they love while they are not regulars on SGA.

Comment

And if fandom is split 50/50 then what was the point? For every Carter fan gained they will lose a Weir fan. Then if you factor in the Carson fans who have given up on the show they could be looking at a real big loss next season. Given the ratings this season I don't think they can afford to lose any of the fans.
                                Maybe catering to one (or any) part of fandom wasn't even an issue, they just had a vision of what they wanted Atlantis to be, and Weir didn't have a place in it (or atleast less of one).

Comment

Working...
                                X