Phantoms (309)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ace
    Yep... I honestly believe that he has just gone on one mission in his entire time in Afghanistan! Why would you even ask such a silly question? LOL

They may have been referring to ANOTHER situation in which they rescued a Special Ops team from danger... but I think the writers intentionally wrote that particular scene to add further information to his "black mark".

Give the audience what they have been asking for... more information on his background. I am going to assume that they were referring to the same incident and completely ignore this episode with any regard to Sheppard's background.

Ace
    Well, consider that Shepphard was not exactly in a clear state of mind in this episode. It is entirely possible that his memory here was unreliable.

Comment

Hmm. Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, despite the minimal appearance of my favourite character, and that says to me that the episode itself stood up pretty damn well.

Refreshingly, somehow, this episode didn't contain 'ship of any kind; I wouldn't want it that way for every episode, since I like me some 'ship every now and then, but it worked so well for this one. It's such a wonderfully team-oriented piece... and yay, Sheppard backstory! Finally!

Two questionable things I did pick up though - first of all, how come it took six hours for the team to be reported overdue to Elizabeth and have help sent for them? And secondly - Teyla's using contractions again, and while I am trying to write about her, that gives me a headache.

Comment

Loved the episode!

Spoiler:

It seemed to me that Sheppard seemed to succumb completely. While Rodney and Beckett seemed to keep a sense of reality. Ronan and McKay still recognized Teyla.

I wondered if Sheppard may have had the biggest problem due to his ancient gene. He's always been a natural. With Carson also with the ancient gene couldn't tell if his patient was dead or not. Of course Rodney seemed to think it wouldn't affect him so much, since he had smoked pot with little problem (other than the munchies.)

At least we know what the black mark in Afghanistan is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia
          Hmm. Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, despite the minimal appearance of my favourite character, and that says to me that the episode itself stood up pretty damn well.

Refreshingly, somehow, this episode didn't contain 'ship of any kind; I wouldn't want it that way for every episode, since I like me some 'ship every now and then, but it worked so well for this one. It's such a wonderfully team-oriented piece... and yay, Sheppard backstory! Finally!

Two questionable things I did pick up though - first of all, how come it took six hours for the team to be reported overdue to Elizabeth and have help sent for them? And secondly - Teyla's using contractions again, and while I am trying to write about her, that gives me a headache.
          I've noticed the contraction thing too. I wonder if the writers are gradually letting her speak in a similar way to us Earthlings? After all, when we live and work around people, we do tend to copy their speech patterns, so it would make sense that she would pick up and use our less formal speech.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
            I've noticed the contraction thing too. I wonder if the writers are gradually letting her speak in a similar way to us Earthlings? After all, when we live and work around people, we do tend to copy their speech patterns, so it would make sense that she would pick up and use our less formal speech.
            Naturally, yes, but I'm trying to write a fic set in season 1 and so it's giving me a headache hearing her speech change. *laughs*

Comment

Originally posted by mgbland
              Loved the episode!

Spoiler:

It seemed to me that Sheppard seemed to succumb completely. While Rodney and Beckett seemed to keep a sense of reality. Ronan and McKay still recognized Teyla.

I wondered if Sheppard may have had the biggest problem due to his ancient gene. He's always been a natural. With Carson also with the ancient gene couldn't tell if his patient was dead or not. Of course Rodney seemed to think it wouldn't affect him so much, since he had smoked pot with little problem (other than the munchies.)

At least we know what the black mark in Afghanistan is all about.
              Yeah and to be honest it was very Oneil like. The whole never leave a man behind thing. I thought it really fit his character.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I truly enjoyed the episode...I enjoy the team episodes...
                Glad that Teyla had a more larger part in it then she has had for some time...
                Glad also to see the bond getting stronger between John and Teyla...her seeing him at his worst reliving his past and what happened at that time...oh end really liked him in the desert gear *lol* Joe did once again a fantastic job getting different emotions through..
                I loved that we got some backstory to Sheppard...even if we knew somewhat before what might have happened,,we really didn't know what happened out there and how he felt at the time being behind enemy lines trying to rescue this guy...

So all in all I truly enjoyed it and are ranking high on my favorite episode list
                sigpic
                Sigs by Scifan

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia
                  Naturally, yes, but I'm trying to write a fic set in season 1 and so it's giving me a headache hearing her speech change. *laughs*
                  I know what you mean! It took me ages to write for her NOT using contractions and now I'm going to have to get used to writing them, but not all the time, because she doesn't seem to do that! It's going to be horribly confusing, I think!
                  sigpic

Comment

I think this ep gets even better on second viewing.

Great team ep with all my favourite characters and everyone was outstanding.

I have to give special kudos to Rachael for doing a great job with Teyla. Her interaction with Shepard was great and I loved the scene at the end where she got through to him - shows what a great understanding and bond they have with each other. I thought that she was going to kiss him at one stage to get through to him but the writers didn't need to have them lip locking in order to show us how connected they are. We know how Shep feels about Teyla and his team when he confided in her in Sateda, but its nice to see Teyla recipricate that feeling as well, and not give up trying to get through to him. The writers always do a great job with John Teyla scenes and its through Teyla that we tend to get a bit more insight into John Sheppard.

Great Carson moments here too and it was heartbreaking to see the look on his face when he saw that the marine had died. Very creepy moments as well when we are left unsure if the other wounded marine was dead or alive.

Loved the Afghanistan scenes and it was interesting that Sheppard still didn't see Teyla as an enemy but another person who ment a lot to him. Just as well that it wasnt Rodney who was with him at the time, as he may have shot him on sight like he did at the end od the ep. Thankfully Teyla managed to deflect his gun just as he fired.

Poor Rodneys cries of "Sheppard shot me," were very much in character for Rodney. While he was his usual snarky self throughout he still manages to show us that he has heart with the nice touch on Carsons shoulder when he found the dead marine.

Overall great character ep and wonderful team interaction.
                    sigpic

Comment

I believe even if the backstory was superficial and something we already knew that we learned a lot about Sheppard and the others.

Sheppard is not nice. He's a good guy but how many could sit next to someone they shot- even if he doesn't recognize him as Rodney- and continue to call for help? He had no problem with shooting a perceived enemy and just letting him bleed in the sand.

Rodney-mister I only watched Jeopardy- has seen Spinal Tap. Dialed it up to 11 and left it. That had me laughing. He has grown as others have mentioned. His attempt at comfort was rewarding.

Teyla watching teammates shoot at one another and unable to stop it. Having to work with what she's got...kudos to Ms. Luttrell.

We do not know when the device really truly affected them. Ronon was early. But look at Shep's face at the ring as the bodies lie around him. Is he under the influence then? Probably that situation works into the final illusion.

Carson's was the most heartbreaking. We don't know if the severity of Lt. Kagan's wound. Was it as dire as we were led to believe? I actually found myself caring about the extras in this one. Good writing and acting.

Fun episode and great addition in character development. S3 kicking ass and taking names...just not Chuck's.
                      It's my first day. -Homer Simpson

Comment

How come Sheppard didn't brain himself against the tree?

Of all the hallucinations we saw, his was the only one that had NO BASIS IN REALITY WHATSOEVER in regards to the surrounding terrain. All those "running through the desert" scenes and he didn't once smash into something invisible? Or at least dodge something that wasn't actually there?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

Of all the hallucinations we saw, his was the only one that had NO BASIS IN REALITY WHATSOEVER in regards to the surrounding terrain. All those "running through the desert" scenes and he didn't once smash into something invisible? Or at least dodge something that wasn't actually there?
                          Thats a good point, I doubt anyone will be able to explain that one.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

I have to agree that you made a very valid point. However, his hallucination did still include Teyla, which shows he was aware of his surroundings at least to a limited extent. However, Sheppard's memories were so vivid that the hallucination would almost be too unreal set in a forrest because he likely remembers the exact path he took. (Aside from the obvious climate change!) Still, Teyla might have been able to help steer him a little, if not much.

It is possible that Ronan's reality had no basis in the surroundings. In Runner he was hiding on a forrested world, likely one of many. It is entirely possible the forest looked like another to him, without our noticing. Unlikely, but possible.

That these people didn't just shut down because of the inconsistencies in what they thought was happening and what was logical is impressive. The state of mind induced was really nightmarish, where nothing has to be logical.

Comment

have to say this wasnt my favorite but it wasnt the worst there was just to much crazyness i personaly think it is the worst this season but it was still good i love all SGA just my 2 cents

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Wow, when you get guess the "plot" of the story 30 seconds in you know you are in for snooze city. Perhaps its age, when you are older than 20 you see how they keep recycling storylines on tv.

1 out of 10 because i liked the color of the remaining dune in Canada.

Comment

Working...
                                X