Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it seem like everybody is starting to hate Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Because that isn't supposed to be what the show's about? Because when they're ramping up "teh sex" it means they're ignoring what some people might call the REAL storylines and the REAL characters? Because some people feel it degrades Sheppard's character and makes him weak-minded and unable to make command decisions when he's too busy thinking with his downstairs brain to notice any real danger (as in The Tower)? Because it's cheap, asinine, and more about pathetic fanboy wish fulfillment than about REAL character development or realistic situations (just because it's fiction doesn't mean you can throw realism ENTIRELY out the window)?

But hey, I'm just guessing...
    Umm...............

The Siege(3) - NR
    The Intruder - NR
    Runner - NR
    Duet – NR (well, McKay was dating)
    Condemned - NR
    Trinity - NR
    Instinct - NR
    Conversion – NR (wouldn’t count Shep’s kiss as anything romantic)
    Aurora - NR
    The Lost Boys(1) - NR
    The Hive(2) - NR
    Epiphany – A kiss and probably more AFTER 6 months and after Teer put the moves no him
    Critical Mass - NR
    Grace Under Pressure – NR (unless you count McKay kissing Sam, or himself, or thin air)
    The Tower – regrettable plot with princess bimbo tossing herself on Shep, but no proof anything happened
    The Long Goodbye – NR as both bodies were being sublet
    Coup d'Etat - NR
    Michael - NR
    Inferno – McKay and Shep did the Cosby-Hope road trip joke with both vying for woman who was obviously playing with both of them
    Allies(1) - NR

So, it's not like Shep is always thinking with 'the other brains'. However, let's not have anymore TOWER plots. It does degrade the character and the show (wait, spoke too soon, we've got IRRESISTABLE to deal with in season 3 where, oh, never mind, I can wait for that one). But character development is necessary for SGA (and SG1, too).

Comment

Well I don't hate Atlantis at all and I think this so called "Kirking" thing has gotten blown completely out of proportion.

The guy flirted a couple of times - slept maybe with one woman after he had been stranded on a planet for SIX months. One or two other WOMAN flirted with HIM and we don't really know what happened. These few incidents happened over the period of one year.

What is the big deal - it happened in about 3 episodes out of 20!!.

Yes the stories and writing could have been better in some eps and I agree I am surprised that we didn't get a bit more exploration of Atlantis.

But hopefully the show will carry on for many more years and there will be plenty of time to explore other aspects of Atlantis.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        The Siege(3) - NR
        The Intruder - NR
        Runner - NR
        Duet – NR (well, McKay was dating)
        Condemned - NR
        Trinity - NR
        Instinct - NR
        Conversion – NR (wouldn’t count Shep’s kiss as anything romantic)
        Aurora - NR
        The Lost Boys(1) - NR
        The Hive(2) - NR
        Epiphany – A kiss and probably more AFTER 6 months and after Teer put the moves no him
        Critical Mass - NR
        Grace Under Pressure – NR (unless you count McKay kissing Sam, or himself, or thin air)
        The Tower – regrettable plot with princess bimbo tossing herself on Shep, but no proof anything happened
        The Long Goodbye – NR as both bodies were being sublet
        Coup d'Etat - NR
        Michael - NR
        Inferno – McKay and Shep did the Cosby-Hope road trip joke with both vying for woman who was obviously playing with both of them
        Allies(1) - NR

So, it's not like Shep is always thinking with 'the other brains'. However, let's not have anymore TOWER plots. It does degrade the character and the show (wait, spoke too soon, we've got IRRESISTABLE to deal with in season 3 where, oh, never mind, I can wait for that one). But character development is necessary for SGA (and SG1, too).
        It isn't that Shep is actually bedding all the chicks, its that TPTB continue to write flirty scenes involving Shep that have nothing to do with plot and it make him seem shallow and immature. The STAKS thread sees this as:

Siege 3 - Weir gives him a hug (makes the Shep/Weir fans happy).

Runner - McKay makes a crack about why he wears so much cologne aftershave.

Runner (again) - Shep and Teyla are tied up and he thinks she is flirting and pinching his bum (Makes the Shep/Teyla fans happy).

Instinct - one of the town women looks him up and down with a big smile.

Conversion - kisses Teyla (or assaults her, seems to be a split camp on this one).

Aurora - Flirts heavily with the hot first officer (then discovers who she is).

Lost Boys - Some people think he flirts with Wraith Queen. That's a stretch, even for me.

The Hive - Babe flirts with him and snuggles close.

Epiphany - He makes out 5 minutes after finding backpack with note his friends are coming for him.

Critical Mass - Some think he was flirty with Cadman. I've only seen it once and didn't notice, but will have to watch the rerun.

The Tower - we all know about this waste of film.

Long Goodbye - Weir kisses him. He tells Teyla he has "strong feelings". (Double the "ship" pleasure!)

Inferno - Flirts with hot scientist. Grabs her during earthquake.

Michael - Scientist girl flirts with him when she gets coffee.

The argument that some of the kirking is okay because the "girl came on to him" is ridiculous. The man is mature enough to say NO isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM
          The argument that some of the kirking is okay because the "girl came on to him" is ridiculous. The man is mature enough to say NO isn't he?
          We are all hoping all this silliness ends next year!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

for me personally ever since atlantis started i watched sg-1 a lot less. i make a lot more effort to make sure i dont miss an single episode of atlantis. i absolutely love. iv had absolutely no problems with it at all. also i cant really sya i have a problem with the kirking either, it is after all only fiction and its not his fault its been writen that way.

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM
              Oh, but that would be RUDE! You have to embrace new cultures, after all.

What I hate is the "he's a MAN, what do you expect?" because that's pretty damn insulting towards men to imply that they are so completely incapable of controlling themselves that it's expected for a man to go chasing after anything in a skirt and/or allowing women to throw themselves at him without saying "no".

Comment

I dunno, ShadowMaat.... some of those ladies are pretty tempting...

... wait, what?

Comment

Originally Posted by GateLadyM

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Oh, but that would be RUDE! You have to embrace new cultures, after all.

What I hate is the "he's a MAN, what do you expect?" because that's pretty damn insulting towards men to imply that they are so completely incapable of controlling themselves that it's expected for a man to go chasing after anything in a skirt and/or allowing women to throw themselves at him without saying "no".
                  I would like to argue this point. Sheppard was marooned, stranded, stuck, etc. on that world, for the REsT of his life unless he ascended. He doesn't have any romantic attachments back on Atlantis (although some fans might argue that point). Yes, Teer 'came on' to him, but that was months ago, and he wasn't blind. He knew what she talking about. I dare say he was also a bit lonely too, only human. On TV, no, I don't expect folks in situations like this to be monks (heck, I don't recall Jack being lambasted as much in "100 days" except by die-hard fans who said he betrayed Sam, etc. etc. and let's not get into Teal'c's bevy of beauties). I didn't see Shep as being "just a man" but someone who was lonely and when offered an out (albeit, temporary) he took it.

Sure, he could have said no, but that didn't happen, so, it's part of canon. And as far as we know, she's the only woman he's had sex with. I don't count the glowy stuff with Chaya as sex (as obviously no one thought Sam had it with Orlin either).
                  Last edited by prion; 09 May 2006, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I'm speaking of generalities. There's always an exception somewhere.

Personally, however, I very much count the glowy sex. And I counted it with Sam, too.

Comment

It's the fact that tptb have Sheppard flirt, kiss, and/or have sex with so many women that's off-putting for me. You have to give tptb credit for coming up with so many reasons for Sheppard to kiss someone. I agree with Shadow that the "he's acting like a normal man" thing is insulting to the average man. A person can explain away the individual encounters, but you are still left the fact there are so many. Don't forget that tptb have admitted to making Sheppard into Kirk.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        I would like to argue this point. Sheppard was marooned, stranded, stuck, etc. on that world, for the REsT of his life unless he ascended. . . . I don't recall Jack being lambasted as much in "100 days" except by die-hard fans who said he betrayed Sam, etc. etc.
                        Go watch "Epiphany" again. Sheppard was there for months and did nothing with Teer, however, he finally got a backpack with a note in it saying the others were working on rescuing him. What does he do? It isn't 5 minutes after reading the note that he is in her arms. What is this? Ooops, they are coming, better have fun while I can?

In "100 Days" the gate was buried and Jack had no hope of getting home and accepted his fate as a member of the community (something Sheppard never really did). When Teal'c radioed in, Jack was as shocked as everyone else. I had no problems with Jack and his lady friend, as it seemed he never would get home, vs. Sheppard who knew his friends were on their way. Big difference.

I count the glowey sex too - Chaya even put on her fav wedding dress. *lol*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Shep's a bachelor renegade who's never experienced having a family and responsibility. That being said.. Jack has... and even though he was stranded, he could have kept trying. :| so i'm not so quick to wave my arms at Sheppard... though the code of military conduct does speak against having sexual escapades... hrm...

Another thing I don't like about stargate...and this is kinda off topic since it doesn't apply to SGA as much as SG1... but women overcompensate in order to "compete" with the guys for respect. For a while, Carter was flaming against the guys... the smallest thing could set her off. We see this again in Mobeus... her whole "JUST BECAUSE MY REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS ARE ON THE INSIDE" speech gives me a headache. Hailey does this too.. in her own, violent way. It's annoying as all hell. We need good people, male or female.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
                            We need good people, male or female.
                            Well, that's the crux of it, isn't it? We need more characters who are great because of WHO and WHAT they are and not where their reproductive organs are located.

Comment

Indeed. Just... no matter what... no more Coombs and Felger. Not even on Atlantis.

If they show up there, I swear I'll personally send the cityship to meet Sokar. :O :O :O

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                                Go watch "Epiphany" again. Sheppard was there for months and did nothing with Teer, however, he finally got a backpack with a note in it saying the others were working on rescuing him. What does he do? It isn't 5 minutes after reading the note that he is in her arms. What is this? Ooops, they are coming, better have fun while I can?

In "100 Days" the gate was buried and Jack had no hope of getting home and accepted his fate as a member of the community (something Sheppard never really did). When Teal'c radioed in, Jack was as shocked as everyone else. I had no problems with Jack and his lady friend, as it seemed he never would get home, vs. Sheppard who knew his friends were on their way. Big difference.

I count the glowey sex too - Chaya even put on her fav wedding dress. *lol*
                                You may wish to go back and watch Epiphany too (I realize many people watched it only once). Yes, he got the backpack and said "I don't know what took them so long, but my friends finally sent some supplies through" but there was no note. Remember McKay said he should sent a note. Shep wasn't looking at a note, he was going through and pulling out PowerBars, MREs, etc. And it probably didn't take him long to think why only one crummy backpacks after MONTHS? Probably had a nice layer of dust on it. Remember, Shep seemed pretty surprised when he was told his friends had arrived.

Jack was stuck in somewhat similiar circumstances but he knew the people. To Shep. the Cloister people were all strangers and unlike the folk in "100 Days," he didn't fit in. Their goal wasn't life on earth, but ascension. Jack at least had a semblance of normal life.
                                Last edited by prion; 09 May 2006, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X