Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it seem like everybody is starting to hate Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arative
    Another problem is that people who are negative tend to be a lot more vocal than people who are positive. That's just human nature.
    *LOL* .....I would just like to make a small clarification. I would not consider myself a negative person, of course, I would not consider myself necessarily a postive person either (but I digress).

This statement seems to be a broad generalization. I would say people who are passionate about a specific topic are vocal whether they are positive or negative on the topic.

I voice my concerns as loud as my praises for the show. It may be more accurate to say that the negative gets more attention because that is what some tend to focus on. There can be a post with 10 praises for a particular episode and one negative comment, and it will more than likely be the negative comment that receives the most attention. I would speculate.....and this is only me speculating.....it is because when people see a problem they want to fix it or discuss why they view it as a problem.

At work, there may be a quarterly meeting (or an informal update) about where the company is. Everyone will point out everything that is working so that a) you know it is working and is going good and b) time is not wasted on addressing something that works. The time is spent discussing what is not working, or why someone views something as not working.

So it is with discussion forums as well. It's not hate, or flat out negativity, it is posters discussing some of their concerns. Can also be comapred to the watercooler too, where people just vent and this is a place for them to vent out their frustrations.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
      It is more fun to play in the 'squee' threads because people are having fun, although you can (not always) get some interesting conversations in anti- threads but it's nice if folks use logic (not always) when arguing their points.
      I remember in one of the ep discussion threads there were three of four people who posted to say, "It sucked" or "Hated it" or "lame" and when I asked them to go into detail about WHY it sucked, I was told, "Because it is." *headdesk*

It's very hard to have any kind of rational, intelligent conversation when you're given nothing to work with.

Most people, fortunately, are able to specify what they liked/disliked about something, but every once in a while you just have to write it off as a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
        *LOL* .....I would just like to make a small clarification. I would not consider myself a negative person, of course, I would not consider myself necessarily a postive person either (but I digress).

This statement seems to be a broad generalization. I would say people who are passionate about a specific topic are vocal whether they are positive or negative on the topic.

I voice my concerns as loud as my praises for the show. It may be more accurate to say that the negative gets more attention because that is what some tend to focus on. There can be a post with 10 praises for a particular episode and one negative comment, and it will more than likely be the negative comment that receives the most attention. I would speculate.....and this is only me speculating.....it is because when people see a problem they want to fix it or discuss why they view it as a problem.

At work, there may be a quarterly meeting (or an informal update) about where the company is. Everyone will point out everything that is working so that a) you know it is working and is going good and b) time is not wasted on addressing something that works. The time is spent discussing what is not working, or why someone views something as not working.

So it is with discussion forums as well. It's not hate, or flat out negativity, it is posters discussing some of their concerns. Can also be comapred to the watercooler too, where people just vent and this is a place for them to vent out their frustrations.
        Its more of lets say you are at a resturant and you get terrible service there. You're more likely to tell people that you got terrible service than you are to tell people that you got great service. Yes its a broad generalization and no everyone doesn't fit into that category but we as a whole do tend to expouse on the negativity of something rather than the positive.

I personally have no problem with people venting but people that do that should expect some backlash unless its a thread specifically designated for such an activity. Like the Anti/pro threads, I wouldn't go into an anti thread and say "you're all wrong, stop the hating" just as I wouldn't go into a pro thread and say "you're all wrong, stop being a fanboy or fangirl as the case may be". Just like I wouldn't go into a ship thread and say that ship was wrong, well maybe the thor/carter ship, cause that just freaks me out. Those threads are specifically designated to discuss those topics. Now if we are in a episode discussion thread, you'd better believe I'd try to debate someone on what they said.

Also just as general human nature, we tend to think that everyone thinks the same way we do. So that's why we tend to get people saying that everyone hates something or everyone loves something. People just need to understand that the only opinion that matters is their own but its ok that other people have differing opinions.

Comment

I personally have no problem with people venting but people that do that should expect some backlash unless its a thread specifically designated for such an activity. Like the Anti/pro threads, I wouldn't go into an anti thread and say "you're all wrong, stop the hating" just as I wouldn't go into a pro thread and say "you're all wrong, stop being a fanboy or fangirl as the case may be". Just like I wouldn't go into a ship thread and say that ship was wrong, well maybe the thor/carter ship, cause that just freaks me out. Those threads are specifically designated to discuss those topics. Now if we are in a episode discussion thread, you'd better believe I'd try to debate someone on what they said.

Also just as general human nature, we tend to think that everyone thinks the same way we do. So that's why we tend to get people saying that everyone hates something or everyone loves something. People just need to understand that the only opinion that matters is their own but its ok that other people have differing opinions.
          Why should someone expect "backlash" for bringing up a concern? It is not the praise only forum except in designated areas.

Yes, there are some threads with more specific rules about what is okay to discuss and how to, but for the most part threads are open to discussion regardless of praise or concerns raised. No one should expect "backlash" from voicing concerns unless the post was stated in a rude in-your-face manner (which backlash should be expected whether the post was positive or negative). They should expect what would hopefully be a good debate, but not backlash.

I don't think it is human nature to believe that everyone thinks the way we do. I think it is human nature for some to try and convince everyone to hold the same views as them.

Everyone has different views. Everyone has different expectations. Everyone has different comfort levels with their critiques on a forum. Everyone will react differently. Many will read a single post and come away with entirely different meanings. Many will read a post and see a good, well thought out criticsm. Many will read that same post and come away feeling like their favorite show got slammed. It's all relative.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
            Why should someone expect "backlash" for bringing up a concern? It is not the praise only forum except in designated areas.

Yes, there are some threads with more specific rules about what is okay to discuss and how to, but for the most part threads are open to discussion regardless of praise or concerns raised. No one should expect "backlash" from voicing concerns unless the post was stated in a rude in-your-face manner (which backlash should be expected whether the post was positive or negative). They should expect what would hopefully be a good debate, but not backlash.

I don't think it is human nature to believe that everyone thinks the way we do. I think it is human nature for some to try and convince everyone to hold the same views as them.

Everyone has different views. Everyone has different expectations. Everyone has different comfort levels with their critiques on a forum. Everyone will react differently. Many will read a single post and come away with entirely different meanings. Many will read a post and see a good, well thought out criticsm. Many will read that same post and come away feeling like their favorite show got slammed. It's all relative.
            I think backlash would need to be defined. If you say "Shep's command ability sucks", expect fans to come back ask for specific examples, etc. Debate yes, backlash no, as backlash is usually pretty harsh, although there are a few fans who frequent this board who can't accept that other people have opinions and can be, well, snotty.

Comment

I loved the first series of Atlantis, I felt the second lacked a lot of direction.
              My main problem is the endless big, gaudy episodes with no substance. I also feel a lot of the time, they give out really bad messages. Making the guy who suggests they follow the rules of the Geneva convention a loner is just pathetic, Michael as a character is great, but I felt not enough time was given to his view on things. They altered his DNA, made him a freak, I don't know what medical school Beckett went to, but his ethics really need a touch up. "The retro-virus is ready" What the hell kind of doctor is he?
              So I felt, the fact that the characters no longer care about red shirts (we all saw Shepard go crazy at the loss of two of his team in the 'Eye', but when two men die to help him in conversion, nothing!). It also has to be said, Ronin, not near as fun as Ford, Ford was great, Ronin is psycotic.
              Sorry to go on so long, but I really feel SGA has lost it's direction, let's even go into the sociopathic behavour of SG-1, is there an episode they don't end up shooting somebody in anymore?

Comment

I love Atlantis. I have posters, DVDs a book....anyway...

Erm yeah a few snags with season two but since I'm so into it I just carried on and tried to ignore the problems.

Liked Duet. Must put that simply...

I think they've put the Wraith too far in this series. Hello they're coming for us...let's panic!!!

Sorry, I have a bad sense of humour and all that jazz.

I'd like to see Kolya again and I'm glad that he'll be back...

Comment

I would never hate atlantis.
                  sigpic

Comment

Everytime I watch Atlantis... I always think...
                    "Who would win in a fight... Teal'c or Ronin"....
                    and now..
                    "Three Way Fight: Who would win? Teal'C, Ronin or Worf"...

and that gets me to hate Atlantis.

Comment

Another problem is that people who are negative tend to be a lot more vocal than people who are positive. That's just human nature.
                      This is completely false in my experience.

There are people that are vocally negative toward the show/episodes but I've yet to see one of them instigate an attack on another poster.

I've made a lot of nagative observations myself and I took a LOT more **** for those than I did for saying I liked "epiphany" and thought it was one of the deeper episodes in season 2.

I've never seen anyone with a negative viewpoint call out someone who liked an episode or character and go on to imply that "you're an awful person for liking that" I see the reverse all the time though.

I can remember one particular psychotic rant I got to witness in a thread where myself and a few others did nothing but say that we liked BSG better than Atlantis. Full blown "I'm sick of this ****/quitting the board" style freakout over it.

I can remember another time when I questioned whether or not it was really right/necessary for Shep to have killed the wriath keeper in rising.

You won't find that thread because the freakout I had directed at me resulted in it actually being deleted apparently.

Originally posted by lissa1000
                      Does anyone else think it's ironic that the people complaining about the negativity are so hostile? Sheppard isn't real. He isn't being hurt by my complaints. When you are rude to real people on this board, someone is getting hurt. Why not let people have their opinions? There are plenty of pro threads to keep you busy.
                      This is very well said and right on point. I've found humour in the same thing.
                      This is also exactly what that incident I talked about over the killed Wraith Keeper amounted to. Someone got all frothed up at me over my questioning the moral integrity of a fictional character named John Sheppard.

Originally posted by BlackIce
                      Making the guy who suggests they follow the rules of the Geneva convention a loner is just pathetic, Michael as a character is great, but I felt not enough time was given to his view on things.
                      I agree with you here. The way they painted Cavenaugh as some sort of traitor/rat despite his perfectly valid objections pissed me off. Not all of what he compained about was justified but a fair bit of it was. Margenlizing his concerns as trivial to me almost felt like the writers were giving the finger to those people in the audience who'd wondered about such issues themselves.

As if Cavenaugh was meant to be the sort of "complainer" type fan who won't just happily swallow the idea that John Sheppard and Dr. Wier are awesome leaders despite their numerous documented screwups that could have been easily avoided by someone just a little more clever. It's that sort of "are you a team player or not, cover for you buddies when the cock up" way of thinking that allows incompetence and stupidity to endure in real life institutions. I'm not exactly thrilled to see Atlantis promoting it as "the right thing to do".

Comment

The complainers may be more vocal, but they also tend to be more well-behaved, at least in my experience.

It's the supporters who can't tolerate seeing anything bad said about "their" show and who attack people for complaining that make situations worse than they are.

Comment

Well, my problem with Atlantis is that it is rapidly losing it's originality. Especially concerning the new spoilers. The show worked much better when they were cut off from Earth. Now we seem to be getting recycled SG-1 villains and stories, with Jack appearing! The Wraith are a great villain, I want to see alot of them, not more of the same from SG-1's past.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            The complainers may be more vocal, but they also tend to be more well-behaved, at least in my experience.

It's the supporters who can't tolerate seeing anything bad said about "their" show and who attack people for complaining that make situations worse than they are.
                            Very true, especially when the pro people keep butting in on the Anti threads as we know! I've never heard of an anti post appearing in the pro threads, but we used to see pro posts in the anti thread almost every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
                              Well, my problem with Atlantis is that it is rapidly losing it's originality. Especially concerning the new spoilers. The show worked much better when they were cut off from Earth. Now we seem to be getting recycled SG-1 villains and stories, with Jack appearing! The Wraith are a great villain, I want to see alot of them, not more of the same from SG-1's past.

Exactly. The new spoilers have made me want to bang my head against a wall.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                                Exactly. The new spoilers have made me want to bang my head against a wall.
                                Yeah, I want to see the original and different series that was Atlantis. Not recycled stories and villains from SG-1.

Comment

Working...
                                X