Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did The Wraith defeat the Lantians??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it depends which version of the Wraith origen story you believe.

The

"ancients created them by accident" version Beckett and them came up with.

OR

"We found a terrible enemy that slept" from the Rising hologram.

If you believe the second one then the Wraith already probably had all their goodies in hiding and the ancients just woke them up and got stomped.

With the first one it's harder to explain how they could have caught up to and then beaten the ancients like you noted in your opening post. They would have started out really weak so it's hard to imagine how they could have become strong enough to challenge the ancients before they got discovered by them or other humans and destroyed/controlled.

Comment

I think it's because of the Ancient totally passive behaviour, that the Wraith had expanded so much. Instead of just stand and fight, they retreated from every planet that the Wraith took. It wasn't a factor of technology, or numbers because they could have easily builded a similair Dakara superweapon specifically aimed at Wraith. But instead they retreated through the Stargate to the Milky Way.

I also concur with Beckett's theory. The Ancients were unwilling to exterminate a creation of their own, and prefered to run instead of fighting and exterminating them.

That is what i hate about the Ancients. I can understand not interferring with lower species or conflicts, but when something of your own creation is killing people, like for example the Wraith or Anubis, than you have to act as it is your responsiblity and your blame that they had become such a threat.
      Scoping through the night...looking for Athosians

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
        Well it depends which version of the Wraith origen story you believe.

The

"ancients created them by accident" version Beckett and them came up with.

OR

"We found a terrible enemy that slept" from the Rising hologram.

If you believe the second one then the Wraith already probably had all their goodies in hiding and the ancients just woke them up and got stomped.

With the first one it's harder to explain how they could have caught up to and then beaten the ancients like you noted in your opening post. They would have started out really weak so it's hard to imagine how they could have become strong enough to challenge the ancients before they got discovered by them or other humans and destroyed/controlled.
        Damar I totally agree with you in the fact that the Ancients probably didn't want to wipe out the Wraith (their own creation no doubt), but the thing that does bother me is that if that's true, why did the Ancients force themselves to be in a century long war if they weren't trying to stop the wraith. I mean... why fight if you don't intend to win, and the only apparant why to win a war with a species like the Wraith is to completely wipe them out. I think the Ancients just couldn't bring themselves to that extreme, even though they knew they had the technology to do so.... but using it in that manner is simply not in their nature

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Charmed One
          Damar I totally agree with you in the fact that the Ancients probably didn't want to wipe out the Wraith (their own creation no doubt), but the thing that does bother me is that if that's true, why did the Ancients force themselves to be in a century long war if they weren't trying to stop the wraith. I mean... why fight if you don't intend to win, and the only apparant why to win a war with a species like the Wraith is to completely wipe them out. I think the Ancients just couldn't bring themselves to that extreme, even though they knew they had the technology to do so.... but using it in that manner is simply not in their nature
          It does seem the Wraith have been painted as a sort of primitive race. the only thing to prove their technological advancment is their ships. Maybe it's a cause of the thousands of years of warring with eachother over food "humans", that has caused them to regress. As they are portrayed now, I just cant see a bunch of wrait working in a factory buliding ships or cities. I would love for it to turn out that the wraith have a more intelligent group of leaders behind the background, possibly on a home planet or planet of origin and these more intelligent leaders may still be sleeping, that or some kind of revolution may have taken place and there are other classes of wraith, and these we have seen so far are just the warrior/ harvesting class. Either way TPTB have alot of options since they have been so shady up to this point regarding the Wraith background. I'm hoping they manage to get it right

Comment

come on i need answers lol

Comment

Damar i like that theory of yours.

Quite a lot of good points but tbh i thought the Lantians would of attacked them instead of retreating because they were killing humans. I am quite suprised they didnt get their ships to destory the wraith. If the Ancients did make them how did they build a fleet so fast i wonder?

my theory is still
              Spoiler:
              the asuarans helped them but they were built to fight the Wraith

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Anubis
                I know the Wraith Overwhelmed them by numbers and defeated them. But the question is if the Wraith Evolved they must of been weak to begin with. The Lantians must of had many ships so how come the Wraith was able to build so many Hive ships, cruisers, darts without the Lantians doing much. They must have a shipyard somewhere? If i was a Lantian and the Wraith started to feed on humans i would send Warships to destroy the ships they are building and kill the wraith from orbit. So how did the Wraith build so many ships. It takes time to build ships so it the Lantians plenty of time to find the shipyards and destroy them. Will we find out what happened and will we find a wraith ship yard?

Spoiler:
                did the asuarns help the Wraith build their ships
                Well for staters the Wraith have a hive structure. If it is similar to ants/wasp/bees they have specific Wraith segregated into casts (workers/drones/queens/exct.). They probably infected hundreds if not thousands of Lantians/humans, that became Wraith. On top of that they probably have the ability to reproduce with one another. Hive species tend to be able to build their structures rather quickly. On top of all of this they also probably retain the knowledge of the previous pre infected Anceint/human and had an idea of how to create and work with technology. From there, they need a couple hundred/thousand years to perfect their trade and become more efficient in ship building and warfare. IMO I believe that there were planets with highly evolved human races created by the Lantians like in the MW galaxy that the Wraith culled and stole technology from. I am sure that the Anceints were aware of the Wraith problem for sometime bfr they themselves became the main target, but with their passive nature, waited to long to deal with the sitution.
                Last edited by Excellion_razor; 13 April 2006, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Wow...really interesting. Ouro...

Has anyone come up with the preconception that perhaps the Wraith were originally an entirely different species and that through the one hundred years of war and everything, the Wraith evolved because of the absorption of humans? Or that in order to compete with the bugs, they introduced wraith genes into them as a ploy, and when they evolved into the beings they were trying to destroy just took their ships instead?

We don't know what the Wraith looked like at the time, so is it possible that the Wraith could have had two evolutions?
                  http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Anubis
                    I know the Wraith Overwhelmed them by numbers and defeated them. But the question is if the Wraith Evolved they must of been weak to begin with. The Lantians must of had many ships so how come the Wraith was able to build so many Hive ships, cruisers, darts without the Lantians doing much. They must have a shipyard somewhere? If i was a Lantian and the Wraith started to feed on humans i would send Warships to destroy the ships they are building and kill the wraith from orbit. So how did the Wraith build so many ships. It takes time to build ships so it the Lantians plenty of time to find the shipyards and destroy them. Will we find out what happened and will we find a wraith ship yard?

Spoiler:
                    did the asuarns help the Wraith build their ships
                    As far as the Asurans:
                    Spoiler:
                    The answer to whether the Asurans help build the Wraith ships, I think that is doubtful. The Lantians created the Asurans as a weapon to combat the Wraith crisis. Therfore they were created after the Wraith evolved. The Lantians wld not have created a weapon to kill the Wraith, if the Wraith were not already a major threat to the Lantians exsistance. I suppose it is possible that the Asurans helped the Wraith out after the war had started b/c they developed a conflict w/the Lantians, but the Wraith wld have had to do most of the work on their own, as far as building ships.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                      Wow...really interesting. Ouro...

Has anyone come up with the preconception that perhaps the Wraith were originally an entirely different species and that through the one hundred years of war and everything, the Wraith evolved because of the absorption of humans? Or that in order to compete with the bugs, they introduced wraith genes into them as a ploy, and when they evolved into the beings they were trying to destroy just took their ships instead?

We don't know what the Wraith looked like at the time, so is it possible that the Wraith could have had two evolutions?
                      Well I don't think that the Wraith were consciously sentient prior to bitting and infecting Anceints/humans as seen in a previous episode of SGA when they travel to the planet were the Iradius bugs nested. So therefore they wld not have been at war with anyone other than maybe another nest of bugs or an invader to their territory. Also I think the "Wraith" probably exsisted for at least a couple of hundred yrs bfr actively participating in culling other planets and waring w/the Lantians. Just my opinion on the matter. Interesting idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by Excellion_razor
                        Well I don't think that the Wraith were consciously sentient prior to bitting and infecting Anceints/humans as seen in a previous episode of SGA when they travel to the planet were the Iradius bugs nested. So therefore they wld not have been at war with anyone other than maybe another nest of bugs or an invader to their territory. Also I think the "Wraith" probably exsisted for at least a couple of hundred yrs bfr actively participating in culling other planets and waring w/the Lantians. Just my opinion on the matter. Interesting idea though.
                        Well, the iratus bugs could have evolved on many planets, and only some ever actually evolved into sentient beings. It's also possible that the original Wraith (non-human) could have been the original occupants (which we're supposed to find out more about).

Comment

Well, the iratus bugs could have evolved on many planets, and only some ever actually evolved into sentient beings. It's also possible that the original Wraith (non-human) could have been the original occupants (which we're supposed to find out more about).
                          It is possible that cld have happened. However in the episode (can't remeber the name), they pull the name of the planet that the Lantians encountered the bug on. I feel that it is unlikely that they evolved on multiple planets. Kind of like the Goa'uld . The snake heads are from one planet, but they infected a species probably a unas, and forced it to leave via the stargate. Therefore starting there domination of the MW galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Excellion_razor
                            It is possible that cld have happened. However in the episode (can't remeber the name), they pull the name of the planet that the Lantians encountered the bug on. I feel that it is unlikely that they evolved on multiple planets. Kind of like the Goa'uld . The snake heads are from one planet, but they infected a species probably a unas, and forced it to leave via the stargate. Therefore starting there domination of the MW galaxy.
                            From the Gateworld omnipedia:

They are known to exist on at least two worlds, including the planet presently classified as the Wraith homeworld.
                            I think it's too soon to tell what exactly is going on, and how the Wraith came about. I really believe that they were Ancients that were genetically manipulated on and given all their tech by the original race that occupied that galaxy. But it's just too soon to be able to get a definite theory.

Comment

From the Gateworld omnipedia:

I think it's too soon to tell what exactly is going on, and how the Wraith came about. I really believe that they were Ancients that were genetically manipulated on and given all their tech by the original race that occupied that galaxy. But it's just too soon to be able to get a definite theory.

I stand corrected. We shall see.

Comment

Well we know that the Wraith have a language that is based on Ancient language, so they are a very small part Ancient probably. Another thought on that is that they also gained some knowledge by having part of them being Ancient.
                                We know the lantians were in the pegasus galaxy for a few million years (see the first ep of atlantis when you see the Atlantis city fly from earth) and it said in the sub title "a few million years ago" or something in that sense, and Weir went ten-thousand years back in time, the point that they left pegasus.

So the Wraith had a long time to develop in secret, or they've been helped by an enemy of the Lantians or by the Lantians themselves, by error they made an intelligent species out of the bug and lost control.

Comment

Working...
                                X