This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linzi
    Agreed. Caldwell is a by the book military man, and that's not what Atlantis needs. In my opinion it needs someone who thinks outside of the box, and that's what Sheppard does, whether one likes his decisions or not.
    Word!
    sigpic

Comment

Some people here need to stop acting like Sheppard is in charge of the entire expedition. If he went military gung ho all the time, Weir would over rule him everytime because, after all, she's in command of the expedition. No one makes the right decsion all the time in normal circumstances. Why and how can you expect perfcection in extraordinary circumstances.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Agreed. Caldwell is a by the book military man, and that's not what Atlantis needs. In my opinion it needs someone who thinks outside of the box, and that's what Sheppard does, whether one likes his decisions or not.

Indeed, we need Sheppard who screws everything up. Caldwell has shown himself to be the superior military commander, while the ONLY reason why Sheppard was put there due to Col Sumner's death!

Comment

Originally posted by npattis
          Indeed, we need Sheppard who screws everything up. Caldwell has shown himself to be the superior military commander, while the ONLY reason why Sheppard was put there due to Col Sumner's death!
          I am still looking for actual specifics to your reasonings why you think Shep should be demoted. Vague generalizations as posted above does not give any credibilty or backing to your statement.

In regards to your comment about Shep being military head because of killing Sumner this is how I see it:
          Shep as the next highest ranking military officer after Sumner, rightfully assumed command when Sumner was killed. Shep would hold that position until he was relieved or officially given command. When they got back to Earth, Weir pushed her hand to keep Shep as military commander of Atlantis (Intruder S2). Obviously SGC and the IOA didn't have too much conflict with it, because in the end, Shep was actually promoted and officially given military command of Atlantis.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
            I wouldn't say demoted... more like gotten rid of. Caldwell seems to be a much better choice for the military commander on Atlantis.
            Another "Get rid of Sheppard post". This seems to have become a stupid request. Sheppard is one of the main reasons I watch the show. I love the characters personally. I doubt Caldwell could really do much better. In fact, I think if Caldwell were the head of the military on Atlantis, He would probably press for leader of the city. The show would then become more like a military show like SG-1 (not putting down SG-1) and loose its different feeling. We might even loose alot of the scientific aspect.

Sheppard won me to the show. No Sheppard means I quit and I really mean it.
            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
            Individuality is freedom lived.
            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
              Another "Get rid of Sheppard post". This seems to have become a stupid request. Sheppard is one of the main reasons I watch the show. I love the characters personally. I doubt Caldwell could really do much better. In fact, I think if Caldwell were the head of the military on Atlantis, He would probably press for leader of the city. The show would then become more like a military show like SG-1 (not putting down SG-1) and loose its different feeling. We might even loose alot of the scientific aspect.

Sheppard won me to the show. No Sheppard means I quit and I really mean it.
              Yeah, but don't worry... They'll never lose Shep, Atlantis just wouldn't work without him. TPTB know that and a FEW loud opinions against it won't change anything...
              *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Originally posted by caty
                Yeah, but don't worry... They'll never lose Shep, Atlantis just wouldn't work without him. TPTB know that and a FEW loud opinions against it won't change anything...
                Amen sister!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by caty
                  They said that about Jack and I think Sg-1 is still pretty darn good and I loved Jack... still do.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                    They said that about Jack and I think Sg-1 is still pretty darn good and I loved Jack... still do.
                    Yep. But they lost Jack after 8 seasons, and the 8th season was a shambles because of his little involvement in episodes, IMO. Atlantis is too young to lose its leading man.
                    sigpic

Comment

You know I am teasing you right?

I don't want Sheppard to leave the show anymore then I want McKay to, I just don't buy the argument that because he is the lead he can't be replaced it isn't born of fact more born of wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
                        You know I am teasing you right?

I don't want Sheppard to leave the show anymore then I want McKay to, I just don't buy the argument that because he is the lead he can't be replaced it isn't born of fact more born of wishful thinking.
                        I don't disagree. Nobody is irreplaceable in my humble opinion, though I'd cry into my pillow if I couldn't watch Sheppard and McKay together.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't disagree. Nobody is irreplaceable in my humble opinion, though I'd cry into my pillow if I couldn't watch Sheppard and McKay together.
                          I think alot of would cry if that happened. THey really play off each other well.
                          sigpic

Comment

This is my first post here so here goes...

I don't quite understand why people think Caldwell would make a good replacement for Sheppard. Is he a good commander? Sure. Is he the type of commander that Atlantis needs? No. I honestly can't see Caldwell doing a lot of offworld battles on foot and fitting in with the other members of the team (unless you want to get rid of them too). He's more of a ship or office person.

If he were going to replace anyone, I would see him in Weir's position more than anyone else's (despite the fact that he has no real political experience). Besides, you need someone creative to do Sheppard's job and I just don't see that in Caldwell. I also think the leaders need to have a certain personality and while Caldwell may be okay in small-medium doses, I can say in utter certainty that I wouldn't want to watch him every week as one of the main characters.

I'm still not sure why some people think Sheppard needs to leave at all. Sure, he makes mistakes but he also saves everyone time and time again. As much as I may like a superhero, I want somene who's human and capable of error. Atlantis would probably survive if he left but I doubt the writers would kill off Sheppard...if he were to leave it would likely be because of Joe's decision. As a producer/writer, why take an unecessary risk casting a new leader when the one you have is generally liked?

Hopefully I made sense in all that. Hope to talk post more. I just watched all two seasons last week so I am in that first week of obsession right now.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Stef
                              This is my first post here so here goes...

I don't quite understand why people think Caldwell would make a good replacement for Sheppard. Is he a good commander? Sure. Is he the type of commander that Atlantis needs? No. I honestly can't see Caldwell doing a lot of offworld battles on foot and fitting in with the other members of the team (unless you want to get rid of them too). He's more of a ship or office person.

If he were going to replace anyone, I would see him in Weir's position more than anyone else's (despite the fact that he has no real political experience). Besides, you need someone creative to do Sheppard's job and I just don't see that in Caldwell. I also think the leaders need to have a certain personality and while Caldwell may be okay in small-medium doses, I can say in utter certainty that I wouldn't want to watch him every week as one of the main characters.

I'm still not sure why some people think Sheppard needs to leave at all. Sure, he makes mistakes but he also saves everyone time and time again. As much as I may like a superhero, I want somene who's human and capable of error. Atlantis would probably survive if he left but I doubt the writers would kill off Sheppard...if he were to leave it would likely be because of Joe's decision. As a producer/writer, why take an unecessary risk casting a new leader when the one you have is generally liked?

Hopefully I made sense in all that. Hope to talk post more. I just watched all two seasons last week so I am in that first week of obsession right now.

-Stef
                              I agree with everything you say here. Great post!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X