No announcement yet.

Allies (220)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This ep had Sheppard sitting in the Orion captain chair, but once they get "everything" working, what are they going to do with the ship and who will captain it? It doesn't make sense for the captain to be Sheppard if he is still going to lead his team offworld through the Spinny Thing. Head of Atlantis military, offworld team leader and ship's captain is just too much.

Comment

One other thing I liked about this episode was how TPTB used Ronon. He's just right as a body guard when dealing with the wraith. Also, he's teamed up with McKay, which I liked because almost every other episode I've seen has Ronon teamed with Teyla, except
      Spoiler:
      Michael, where Ronon teams up with Sheppard.
      I like that the writers are finally mixing it up a bit. I think it helps the characters develop when they have to interact with more than just the usual suspects.

Comment

I've just seen this episode (on the DVD) and I was really disappointed. It's so flat compared to The Siege. Nobody is in immediate peril, except perhaps Shep. But maybe that's good in a way, because after Siege II there was just too much tension waiting and waiting to see what happened next. I was just so pumped up after watching that. I'm not really bothered how long I have to wait to see the resolution of this one.

I'm sorry to say that about half of this thread has gone completely over my head, as I know nothing about the Ori (Channel 4 in the UK still haven't started showing SG1 season 9, so I've finally had to resort to the DVD's for that too, but I've only seen Avalon part 1 so far.) I'm surprised that all the Ori stuff didn't have to be in spoiler tags, but then no doubt I would have clicked on them all anyway.

As for this episode, it didn't feel like a Martin Gero one, but then I read in the Season 2 Companion that he had to write it in just a few days and had help from everyone else. I didn't get the feel that everybody was perfectly in character that his episodes usually have. And I didn't notice very much satisfying interaction between characters, nothing like the little scene in Siege 1 between Rodney and Zelenka when Rodney is packing for his trip to the satellite, for instance. (I replayed that scene over and over in my head so many times!) It is nice that Rodney and Ronan are together for once, and I did love Ronon "protecting" Rodney from that Wraith, but that was easily the best part of the episode for me.

Now the retrovirus... I was so glad that it turned out that the Wraith's "plan" was a trick, because it had more holes in it than a Swiss cheese. I can't believe that Weir, Caldwell, Shep and McKay didn't see through it. Wasn't it established in "The Defiant One" that Wraith could feed off other Wraith? And isn't the retrovirus supposed to wear off fairly quickly now (too quickly for the "friendly" Wraith to feed on everybody on a hive ship before they revert)? And why weren't the "friendly" Wraith worried about catching the retrovirus from feeding on infected Wraith? There are many more flaws in it but I can't be bothered to go through them all now!

I will have to watch it again to see if there is anything good that I missed first time round... I suppose The Siege was a lot to live up to, but surely we should expect a series to keep improving or stay at the same level in its second season instead of going downhill?
        Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

I thought all the episodes in Season 2 were great. Am just watching them on DVD for the umteenth time.

Allies reminded me of Scorpion in Startrek Voyager when Janeway makes an alliance with the Borg. However I thought the Wraith were more threatening in Allies as they really blackmailed Atlantis into the alliance.

It was a good cliffhanger with McKay and Ronan on the wraith hive ship and Shephard no where to be found.

When will Season 3 be on DVD???? Cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post
            Good episode. The wraith are growing in depth ... Michael really helps develop them as a threat.
            I agree it wa sa good episode and I loved it. Is my number 3 on my finale list. Is my favorite of the season.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
            Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
            http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

I finally finished the season 2 dvds, and while I loved the set overall, I was very let down by this episode. Like Catsitter said, it just felt flat to me at the end....which I suppose is good in a way, as I won't be in suspense waiting for the season 3 dvds.

I also am getting a little tired of the "oh, we can trust them this time" episodes that are so obviously gonna backfire. Oh well...

Comment

The best thing I could've done was watching this episode when hubby came home from work. He got sucked in. Then asked when I'd be watching the next episode. I told him the season 3 boxset comes out in the fall or else we have to wait for our local city t.v. station to run it. I think he's wanting to buy the boxset when it comes out . hehehe.
                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                  I finally finished the season 2 dvds, and while I loved the set overall, I was very let down by this episode. Like Catsitter said, it just felt flat to me at the end....which I suppose is good in a way, as I won't be in suspense waiting for the season 3 dvds.

I also am getting a little tired of the "oh, we can trust them this time" episodes that are so obviously gonna backfire. Oh well...
                  I know what you mean- this episode didn't quite have the same spark that Seige Pt. II had to end season one. However, I rewatched it yesterday and still really liked it. Personally I'm dying to see season three after heraing so much about episodes like "Sateda" and "The Tao of Rodney" and "Sunday". It's hard to believe that it's been well over a year since the season started airing in the US! Just nine days to go now!

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                  The best thing I could've done was watching this episode when hubby came home from work. He got sucked in. Then asked when I'd be watching the next episode. I told him the season 3 boxset comes out in the fall or else we have to wait for our local city t.v. station to run it. I think he's wanting to buy the boxset when it comes out . hehehe.
                  Hehe, gotta get em roped in.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
                    I can't believe that Weir, Caldwell, Shep and McKay didn't see through it. Wasn't it established in "The Defiant One" that Wraith could feed off other Wraith? And isn't the retrovirus supposed to wear off fairly quickly now (too quickly for the "friendly" Wraith to feed on everybody on a hive ship before they revert)? And why weren't the "friendly" Wraith worried about catching the retrovirus from feeding on infected Wraith?
                    Very good points there! I'm thinking "plot hole". If the wraith starve, they can feed off each other, without turning them in to humans.
                    Although it was established that a friendly wraith cannot catch the virus by feeding on the converted (the queen fed on the test subject).

This episode, and in fact season 2 overall is a little disappointing in the dumb mistakes they keep making. I feel myself sceaming at them "no, don't do that, don't trust them!" They aren't asking the right questions in a given situation.

In this ep, the wraith's deal seemed good, and WAS worth pursuing. But a few more precautions please! The Atlantis team never asked the obvious question: "What do the wraith want more than anything else?" (to get to Earth, and to kill the Atlantis team) Why would they settle for eating each other when a massive feeding ground is within their grasp? They really should have been expecting a double cross.

Comment

They were probabily expecting a double cross, but not so soon..

Comment

Yes that's true, it was very soon and sudden. I got a shock when they came out of hyperspace and were being fired on immediately!

Comment

i think this episodes rules, it adds depth to the wraith

Comment

why dont the wraith ever make it to our galaxy!!!! ahhh! i want a wraithed milkyway!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                              why dont the wraith ever make it to our galaxy!!!! ahhh! i want a wraithed milkyway!
                              You will see this...eventually.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

i think this is by far the best cliffhanger ending of the atlantis series, it could not have been topped by seasons three ending and especially not season four or season five. (meh...) so great ending! loved how they got pawned by the wraith, which was of course inevitable.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X