Michael (218)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid
    It would certainly be possible for the Wraith to lie. They could say they want it to cure themselves or to use on other Wraith,and then use it to infiltrate Atlantis instead. Or they could intend to use it to cure themselves,and then find that it doesn't change their need to feed on humans, and then infiltrate Atlantis. There probably is some sort of Anceint tech though than can detect a humanized Wraith, but maybe not.
    Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!! ---> quoting Mc Kay.... lovely episode but I have encountered feelings... in one hand, Michael is wonderful he may be accquire human conscience, but on the other...What the hell are they thinking!?... Weir? Beckett? everybody!... it´s too dangerous to play with this kind of things! this have many, many ethical implications! yes, a very dark side of the team, and I totally agree with Ronon... they shouldn't make that kind of experiments, all they have done was to bring big, big trouble to Atlantis and the whole mission.... just like Liam said... and just not that.... big big big mistake....

I like the series being more and more interesting each episode, but not because of the recurrent mistakes of the characters....
    sigpic
    ----------------------------
    Stars are not the limit.....
    The galaxies are not the limit....
    Your imagination have the last word...

----------------------------

Raziel...

Comment

[QUOTE=Mackan]
      Not sure if they really explained why they suddenly had a Wraith in capture. How did they get hold on Michael in the first place, they could have taken a minute or two and showed that. Was a bit too sudden opening in this ep.
      QUOTE]

I loved how they began the episode. I have been a loyal SGA fan since the beginning and because I will not watch/read any spoilers, the episode had me totally off balance. I kept wondering who was Michael? When did he come to Atlantis? Did I miss something? And why was the team acting so weird around him. I loved the way Michael's true identity was slowly exposed, like it was a dirty secret- and actually it was.

I did think TPTB missed a huge opportunity to show us more about the Wraith. Everything Michael did was so human. If he kept his violent urges etc. despite his treatments, why would he have not shown some other random, but subtle differences from humans? I think it would have given added depth to the character and fueled the Wraith vs. human argument.

I think we can all agree to disagree on the points presented in the episode regarding morality and ethics. There is no clear answer. Therefore, I appauld the writer for a job well done. Despite some plot holes/inconsistencies, he succeeded in his task: he created a very disturbing moral dilemma.

I think the characters seemed odd because it was an odd situation. New ground to be be broken, so to speak. They seemed odd because they felt odd. No one really liked the situation, but as John said, "It's war." When do the ends justify the means?

I was personally disturbed by the idea that if Michael is a Wraith, than it's ok to kill him, but if he is human than he is the team's responsibility. When Michael appeared human, but was having Wraith urges, was he human or Wraith? Where is the line drawn? Is a child with a grenade in his hand an innocent who needs to be protected or a threat?

Comment

This episode reminds me of "I, Borg" from TNG - the face of the other side, the individual.
        School is overrated.

Comment

I've just watched this episode on DVD and wanted to give a review.

As a long-time fan of both Stargate and Star Trek, I had been really looking forward to this episode ever since I first heard about Connor Trinneer being in it. I'm pleased to see that I was not disappointed. I don't know about everyone else (especially if some of you aren't ST fans) but Connor was one of the best things about "Star Trek Enterprise". When that show got cancelled, I was worried that I wouldn't see him in much again. It's a stroke of luck that he's now turned up in my other favourite sci-fi. LOL! The man is what can only be described as a really excellent actor. In "Enterprise", he was funny in early episodes, but really got the chance to shine as a more serious actor from the 3rd series on. He had tons of scenes/episodes which really moved me and so they'll always be my favourites.

Anyway, enough about his past work. His role here on "Atlantis" was of course significantly different (although he does still do his "Trip Tucker" Texan accent here). I'll be honest and say that my outlook on the episode was altered by the fact that I already knew he was a Wraith even before I watched the episode. But it didn't spoil the story too much.

What I liked the most about this episode was it's very "Star Trek" moral theme about whether the good guys are doing something ethical or not. Once Michael learns the truth, he repeatedly questions Weir's team's right to capture him and alter him against his will, just simply based on what they think is the right choice. I thought it was a very good question and very relevant in the world today. A good real-life equivalent of Weir's actions would be to brainwash someone like Saddam Hussein and turn him into a US/British soldier, fighting in Iraq.

I also liked the scene later in the episode when Beckett blames himself for the death of a man. He questions his medical ethics many times in this episode since he's the one who both created the retro-virus and carried out the experiment on Michael. Although he does receive a bit of consolation when Weir shoulders the blame herself for approving the whole idea.

I couldn't help but draw parallels between this episode and the episode last season where Teyla found out that she's got Wraith DNA herself. This actually helped prepare me for the nightmare scene when Michael wakes up from a nightmare and stands near a mirror to get some water. I just smiled and thought, "I just know he's gonna look in the mirror in a moment and see himself as a Wraith." LOL!

Anyway, overall it was a good episode. It made a change to have a mainly character-driven episode rather than an action/visual-effects episode. As I said at the start, this is thanks to Connor Trinneer and of course his interaction with the main cast. I'm pleased that he's going to be returning in future episodes. Perhaps he'll become a character like Ford, neither good nor bad, constantly swinging both ways.

I'm also looking forward to the next couple of episodes on the DVD, especially since the end of this episode means that the Atlantis team need more firepower to repel another impending Wraith attack.
          sigpic

Comment

Nice review, John. I agree with everything you said. And I also watched ENT and agree that CT was the best thing in it.

"Michael" was a really good episode.
            Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Great review. The thing I love about the whole Michael storyline is that in virtually any other circumstances what they did to him would be wrong. Then you start looking at it more deeply though and think 'well, is this better or worse than them killing all the Wraith instead?' which is their only other alternative. There's a kind of compassion to what they're doing and yet at the same time it is so very uncomfortable. It's a very clever, thought provoking storyline.
              sigpic
              by Kaaatie

Comment

Good God. IE keeps flipping out on me every time I visit Gateworld. I think it's a sign that the employer doesn't want employees hanging around this wonderful site. Oh, I'd install Firefox or something but it's against policy to install anything on the system without the IT department's permission.

Anyway, I had this big fat babble written up before the browser crashed. I'd try and reconstruct the message now but I think I'll settle for point form instead.

So yeah, I'm just adding my few cents to this thread since it's an episode that I liked.

- The "logic flaws" of the Atlantis team didn't bother so much as their (possibly understandable) mean treatment of Michael after he discovers that he was experimented on. One moment in particular that sort of irked me was Sheppard's visit to the holding cell. It was obvious that Michael wanted to talk to him but he was met by a stun blast instead. I mean, he still had some humanity in him but everyone seemed to drop their nice guy act like a ton of bricks and just treat him like a total Wraith.

Granted, I'm not sure being all kind of sweet would have gotten very far since Michael couldn't trust the Atlantis group anymore but I do believe that there could have been other ways/another way of dealing with the situation.

Or maybe that's just the compassion in me speaking out since the lieutenant seemed like such a nice guy. :/

- I found that the chemistry between Teyla and Michael was very sweet. It's a shame that things went the way they did. I liked their friendship and the fact that he confided in her about the nightmares.

Sigh. I wonder how things would have gone if the good doctor wasn't asleep at his desk that one night. I guess that's just something for the fanfickers to illustrate.

Actually, I have one question: How come Michael is just naturally NICE? Does that imply that he was a mild-mannered, polite Wraith to begin with? I mean, mannerisms are learned, aren't they?
                Last edited by nunuu; 18 August 2006, 02:00 PM.
                :3!

Comment

I loved this episode, and I felt so sorry for Micheal.

He was like a child and didn't know who he was or why he was there, and learned only from certain words and phrases that seemed to remain in his subconscious mind after his transformation into a human.
                  He was innocent, and even more innocent when he discovered what he really was. In the end he belonged to neither Atlantis or the Wraith; he was an outsider.

I liked the scene where Micheal escapes captivity and runs loose in Atlantis, that was fun. Ronan was such a d*ck, it was like every single time he saw Micheal he wanted to rip off the poor guys arms and legs - annoyed me anyways.

The episode created an awesome new character for the Atlantis series, and it showed how cruel the heroes can be.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I've just seen this episode for the first time (on the DVD), and I was really disappointed. I was expecting it to be very good, especially as Connor Trineer was in it, and yes, he was good, but apart from the fact that he was in it, I can't really think of anything to like about this episode.

It suffered from the "Rushed Ending Syndrome" that seems to have afflicted so many eps in season 2.

The retrovirus was so powerful when it worked backwards earlier in the season; how come it wears off so quickly now?

Actually, there is one thing I like about it, and that is the fact that Rodney is missing from all the conferences until the one at the end after Michael is gone, and I agree with those above who think it is because he was opposed to the whole thing. Otherwise it makes no sense to have Teyla and Ronon in on the conferences but not Rodney! I would hate to think that he supported the idea, and would much rather think that he was against it all along. But I do wish they had put in a B plot for him and perhaps Zelenka. Not enough funny moments in this ep! I can hardly think of any, except the "blue jello". Oh, and Ronon falling through the gate.

Back to dislikes, Heightmeyer seems creepier with every episode she is in. Surely as a psychologist and therapist she should be sympathetic to her patients, and want them to trust her, but nobody on Atlantis should trust her now as she could lie through her teeth to them too!
                    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

The part where Ellia was "Bug-fied" was a very short amount of time. The virus could've wore off if she had stayed alive a little longer.

Also, I think she gave herself a pretty big dose, added onto the fact that the drug back then was still in its experiment stages AND she was female.

Comment

wow, this ep was so good. i can't even think was side of the decision i'm on regarding what should be done with michael now he's turning back. should they kill him as soon as he turns human? afterall he would be easier to kill... and plus the populations of planets are already pretty bad, where are they gonna put all these new humans?

carson was so opposed to the whole idea though, why did he agree to make the retrovirus in the first place? *shrug* oh well

still, well written, well acted. definately left me pondering my own morality after watching it
                        "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                        "what?"
                        *throat punch*
                        My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                        LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Originally posted by rosey_angel View Post
                          wow, this ep was so good. i can't even think was side of the decision i'm on regarding what should be done with michael now he's turning back. should they kill him as soon as he turns human? afterall he would be easier to kill... and plus the populations of planets are already pretty bad, where are they gonna put all these new humans?

carson was so opposed to the whole idea though, why did he agree to make the retrovirus in the first place? *shrug* oh well

still, well written, well acted. definately left me pondering my own morality after watching it
                          That was a really tough moral choice- one that actually never had a clear-cut answer in the episode which I really liked. I'm on the side of "Don't kill him please! I want Conner Trinnear to come back!"

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                            I have to agree..I really missed McKay..he's my fave guy on the show. But what's worse..not even one shot of Zalenka, I love Carson..too and you know he really did deserve a bit of character development. So that's important and I'm glad we got that. We got a chance to see the scientist vs. Man....like we saw with McKay in 'Trinity.'

I missed McKay too, but his scene with Michael in the cafeteria was excellent.

I felt for Beckett and his moral dilemma. He really doesn't want to hurt anyone, ever.

There wasn't enough argument or debate about what they were doing with Michael. I guess we can assume that took place before the experiment began?
                            Anyway, it all blew up in their faces. Nothing was well planned or thought out. All the experimentation should have been done away from Atlantis. And, if they were willing to do the experiment in the first place, at least be willing to eliminate Michael as soon as he discovered the truth.

Comment

Agreed, it should not have been done there, and they Definatly should have had some defense in place should he have flipped.

Comment

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. There are a two plot lines that don't sit well with me:
                                Spoiler:
                                1. That the SA command crew seemed ill-prepared for potentially bad outcomes with their experimentation on Michael. 2. That Michael so easily mesmerized Teyla in order to escape.
                                I think that both of these events were weak bridges to the achieve the final outcome of, 1. the subsequent storylines based on the Wraith retro-virus; and 2. a quick way to make the escape.

I really like we are normally shown how the SA command crew think through their options, including the possible consequences of their actions. I can't imagine the SA command crew's discussion that occurred resulting in Weir giving a green light to the experiment; Beckett going along with it; and definitely not how Shepherd, or Weir, allowed the experiment to occur at Atlantis, instead of off-world. Perhaps time considerations prevented showing the SA command crew making the decision that precipitated what happened in this episode. Still, I think that is a vital part that is missing from this episode.

I think that using Teyla to escape was a weak plot device that could come back to haunt the writing of future episodes.
                                Spoiler:
                                I think that showing Teyla to be so easily manipulated by a Wraith who is near her makes Teyla a liability as long as there are Wraith. The door has been opened for Teyla to be put under mind control by Wraith. If Bates were still around he would have a justifiable fit about Teyla being involved with anything more concerning Atlantis, Earth, or the Stargate program.

Again, overall I enjoyed the episode. The two plot points aside, I think that the potential opened up for new story arcs by this episode is amazing.

I haven't seen any episodes since the end of season 2, so my concerns may have already been addressed in the subsequent episodes.
                                My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

Working...
                                X