No announcement yet.

The Long Goodbye (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this episode cause Caldwell is amazing in it. I absolutely love the part with McKay all like" I'm a senior member of this expedition," and Caldwell all like "I'm a colonel and this is military situation!" when they were arguing about who should be temporary leader. Excellent episode.

Comment

I love this episode. It was wonderful to see Weir's character kicking butt, the Teyla/Weir standoff with John at the end, and the fleshing out of Caldwell's character. And I love the camera view swinging from tower to tower between scenes; it was great to see that effect again.

Anytime I see an ok episode, I pop this one in the DVD player and life is good. I think that maybe watching my husband play those first person shooter games for years has finally started to rub off on me.

Comment

I too love this episode
        It's all Mr and Mrs Smith like!! I did really love the kiss between Weir and Shep!! + Caldwell's comment on the end lol.
        I think Torri and Joe did an amazing job
        Last edited by sofie; 16 February 2008, 11:45 AM.

Comment

This was a cool ep- definitely fun to see Torri kick some butt! However, the kiss was extremely dumb, and it felt like the plot was designed to get in that kiss between Weir and Shep that really wasn't, so it loses points there.

Comment

This episode was absolutely terrible. I can't even begin to list all the stupidities. Gah! I'm watching through Atlantis Season 2 on DVD and it's going rapidly downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity228 View Post
              It was mentioned in previous posts that Weir seemed to glance over what had happened with the parasite infected Caldwell a little too briefly considering what a big deal that was for the survival of Atlantis. I have to stick up for Weir here because what could she really say? Yes, you have had the parasite removed, but I still don't really trust you because you treat me like I'm inept and try to steal John's job whenever possible?

However, did anyone notice that when Caldwell told Sheppard that he would rather not have Sheppard armed while under the influence of an alien consciousness, Sheppard agrees and hands the gun to Rodney? Hmmmm... As Caldwell is military and made the request in the first place, wouldn't it be natural for Sheppard to hand the gun over to Caldwell and not itchy-trigger-finger Rodney?

Just an observation, but you know, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Basically, I do not get the feeling that all has been forgiven. IMHO
              I agree on that. Shep and Rodney were suspicious enough about Caldwell to let it show and Weir was a diplomat, so now that there was no threat she put things behind, it sounds natural.

About the rest of the plot, well, it was an nice idea, but I would have liked to see more than two of the characters running around trying to kill each other, more substance, like, what was the was about between those two aliens, their last thoughts, considering that after all they were about to die. I hardly think that revenge was everything that was in their minds. Or maybe I'm wrong.
              So, to sum it up, I liked the idea of the plot, I liked Caldwell though I think he was a bit overreacting screaming at Rodney, but the story could have been more complex.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sofie View Post
                I too love love this episode
                It's all Mr and Mrs Smith like!! I did really love the kiss between Weir and Shep!! + Caldwell's comment on the end lol.
                I thing Torri and Joe did an amazing job

totally agreed

Comment

Why was this show the worst episode of Atlantis ever, you ask?

Good question. And yes, you asked. Whether or not you were aware of it.

Let's start with the fact that this episode is everything that's wrong with the writers listening to the fans.
                  It's quite obvious this was intended to make the fangirls giggle when Sheppard and Weir made out and please the forum addicts who constantly discuss "how cool it would be to see this character have to duke it out with this character all over Atlantis".
                  Reasons why this was done as an obsessed fan pleaser rather than the quality episodes they usually put out:
                  • They sacrificed quality for a "conceptual joyride" (ie, an idea that sounds like fun but is nothing more than a quick and very cheap thrill). They usually try to avoid this.
                  • There is no reason whatsoever behind Weir and Sheppard allowing unknown entities to posses their bodies. They would've never have done it. It defies all protocol, and, more importantly, defies the personality of the characters (they, especially Sheppard, would've never agreed to this). And before you all shout out, "WE DON'T CARE IF IT'S REALISTIC! IT WAS FUN!", may I remind you that you get equally irritated when an episode you DON'T like features such inanity. Not to mention that there are those of us who do care if the characters act like themselves and follow protocol. Both keep the series good. If they changed how they behaved and what they did drastically with each new episode, it wouldn't make much sense would it? It would also cheapen everything and be completely unrelatable.
                  • The two characters had NO reason to kiss. No matter how much you wanted to see Weir and Sheppard lock lips so you could stick it in your signatures, there's no reason whatsoever for this to happen. The characters were enemies who were completely revolted by each other. And before you try to argue that it was tactical, perhaps I suggest that you watch the scene. Kissing quite clearly had nothing to do with gaining an advantage. In fact, it hindered them in getting weapons. It was quite clearly done for the few (but loud) fans who wanted it and nothing else. Ugh.
                  • The whole episode was full of more holes than a spagehtti strainer.
                  • The character's reason for wanting to kill each other, the whole centerpoint of the plot, made no sense. Both were going to die anyway. Some of you will argue that it did make sense, and quote Weir stating "I want to see that look of defeat on your face". Weeeeell, this line was the biggest hole in the plot. IT WASN'T THE GUY'S FACE. It was Sheppard's. It was just their minds inside them, minds which would be erased in a matter of hours. So yeah, completely ridiculous, and just made up so that they could get a "Weir vs Sheppard" duel that forum fans were salivating for.
                  • The choices made by the substituting leaders (McKay and the General) didn't fit at all and were completely ridiculous.
                  • We've had people go into other people's minds through storage devices at least a dozen times in Stargate history. There was no need to see it again. That's just waaaay to repetitive, not to mention the fact that it completely goes against any reasonable odds.
                  • The dialogue was so stupid and cheesy. I could list every ridiculous line, but you'd be better off just getting a copy of the script. And it would save me time.
                  • The acting was poor. For some reason, Higginson and Flanigan (who are usually pretty good actors) bombed this one. I suppose in an attempt to come off as different people, they just fell flat on their faces. This was a bummer to me, as I suppose I just hate seeing flaws in talented people, especially in a show I love.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakytoad View Post
                    Why was this show the worst episode of Atlantis ever, you ask?

Good question. And yes, you asked. Whether or not you were aware of it.

Let's start with the fact that this episode is everything that's wrong with the writers listening to the fans.
                    It's quite obvious this was intended to make the fangirls giggle when Sheppard and Weir made out and please the forum addicts who constantly discuss "how cool it would be to see this character have to duke it out with this character all over Atlantis".
                    Reasons why this was done as an obsessed fan pleaser rather than the quality episodes they usually put out:
                    • They sacrificed quality for a "conceptual joyride" (ie, an idea that sounds like fun but is nothing more than a quick and very cheap thrill). They usually try to avoid this.
                    • There is no reason whatsoever behind Weir and Sheppard allowing unknown entities to posses their bodies. They would've never have done it. It defies all protocol, and, more importantly, defies the personality of the characters (they, especially Sheppard, would've never agreed to this). And before you all shout out, "WE DON'T CARE IF IT'S REALISTIC! IT WAS FUN!", may I remind you that you get equally irritated when an episode you DON'T like features such inanity. Not to mention that there are those of us who do care if the characters act like themselves and follow protocol. Both keep the series good. If they changed how they behaved and what they did drastically with each new episode, it wouldn't make much sense would it? It would also cheapen everything and be completely unrelatable.
                    • The two characters had NO reason to kiss. No matter how much you wanted to see Weir and Sheppard lock lips so you could stick it in your signatures, there's no reason whatsoever for this to happen. The characters were enemies who were completely revolted by each other. And before you try to argue that it was tactical, perhaps I suggest that you watch the scene. Kissing quite clearly had nothing to do with gaining an advantage. In fact, it hindered them in getting weapons. It was quite clearly done for the few (but loud) fans who wanted it and nothing else. Ugh.
                    • The whole episode was full of more holes than a spagehtti strainer.
                    • The character's reason for wanting to kill each other, the whole centerpoint of the plot, made no sense. Both were going to die anyway. Some of you will argue that it did make sense, and quote Weir stating "I want to see that look of defeat on your face". Weeeeell, this line was the biggest hole in the plot. IT WASN'T THE GUY'S FACE. It was Sheppard's. It was just their minds inside them, minds which would be erased in a matter of hours. So yeah, completely ridiculous, and just made up so that they could get a "Weir vs Sheppard" duel that forum fans were salivating for.
                    • The choices made by the substituting leaders (McKay and the General) didn't fit at all and were completely ridiculous.
                    • We've had people go into other people's minds through storage devices at least a dozen times in Stargate history. There was no need to see it again. That's just waaaay to repetitive, not to mention the fact that it completely goes against any reasonable odds.
                    • The dialogue was so stupid and cheesy. I could list every ridiculous line, but you'd be better off just getting a copy of the script. And it would save me time.
                    • The acting was poor. For some reason, Higginson and Flanigan (who are usually pretty good actors) bombed this one. I suppose in an attempt to come off as different people, they just fell flat on their faces. This was a bummer to me, as I suppose I just hate seeing flaws in talented people, especially in a show I love.

...no
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      ...no
                      agreed.
                      sigpic
                      Always on the hunt for whump...

Comment

Originally posted by xx_luvSheppard_xx View Post
                        agreed.
                        yer~~absolutely no!!

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          ...no
                          None of my points are wrong though, so it's only reasonable to say I'm right.

Comment

Well since they are your opinion, they are neither wrong nor right.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Well since they are your opinion, they are neither wrong nor right.
                              True, the first, seventh, eighth, and ninth are indeed opinions.
                              The rest, however, are pretty much facts.

Comment

Those points are merely your interpretation of the episode's plot, and I see it differently. I loved every second of "The Long Goodbye", and it still rnaks among my favorite episodes of Atlantis.
                                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                                X