No announcement yet.

The Tower (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most members seem to hate this episode because the TPTB didn't give the actual city enough attention to acknowledge that it was Atlantis's sister city, but in my opinion this way a pretty good stand alone. Yes, the writers could have focused on the fact that it was the sis. city of Atlantis but I think that was their point! It was exactly the same as Atlantis; the same city they already posses. The difference is that it was half buried in trees and it’s ZPM was almost dead. The fact is that Sheppard’s team probably assumed that the city had exactly the same tech since Rodney determined that it was the same size as Atlantis. Granted that the cities throne chair did seem to have some add-ons with the whole seeing eye monitor thing, but whose to say that someone in Atlantis’s chair couldn’t do the same thing if they put their mind to it. Another point is that this was a filler episode to build on future episodes. So bottom line, the city was of more use to the local inhabitants then it was to the SGA, and they got everything that they needed from them at the time. They got more P.J. ships and a s**t load of drones in exchange for meds. and a number to contact the SGA. About the only thing they could do to acknowledge the city was to say “wow this is just like Atlantis” and I heard Rodney say something to that affect a couple of times in the episode. I give this ep. *** 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
      We don't even need him to have shagged her to be upset. The fact that they even included all of that Kirking and nakedness! And then the promo! "Babe magnet"!
      Actually, this was the one love interest Shepard had that wasn't an episode of "Kirking." Mara didn't throw herself herself at John because of how manly he was or because of his winning personality, she threw herself at him because he had a specific gene that served a specific purpose. A gene that we knew he had from the very first episode.

If McKay or Beckett had been there in John's place, than Mara would have thrown herself at them.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      There were so many incredible plot possibilites with this story, the most notable being the existence of sister city, itself.
      Okay, there's a sister city. And?

Then there's evidence of the Ancients,
      What evidence specifically?

and there's the ZPM and the star drive
      The ZPM was already depleted, and they couldn't access it anyway. As for the star drive, they already have one. Mind you, they already have one that won't cause their entire city to collapse upon itself.

as well as all the aftermath from the so-called revolution... and all of it, ALL of it took a back seat to Shep ogling and very likely bedding some horny alien princess.
      ?!?

Mara's in that episode for what, 4-5 minutes? The "bedding scene" was less than a minute and a half, and was only instrumental to the story of a whole (power structures, bloodlines, etc.).

Saying that the entire story took a "back seat" to it is blowing the entire scene completely out of propertion. You might as well claim that the entire story took a backseat to the fact that McKay was still hungry after eating dinner.

If we ever hear anything about this other lost city again, I will be completely amazed because for all intents and purposes, the entire set-up was nothing but a toss-away plot device- a way to restock drones and jumpers and to further degrade Shep's integrity by having him screw some horny alien princess.
      Probably because they had nothing to offer other than restocking a drones and jumpers.

And I don't care about "cut scenes" because they aren't canon.
      So cut scenes aren't cannon, but scenes that were never shot/cut/scripted to begin with somehow are?

Comment

Originally posted by JUNIOR
        Most members seem to hate this episode because the TPTB didn't give the actual city enough attention to acknowledge that it was Atlantis's sister city, but in my opinion this way a pretty good stand alone. Yes, the writers could have focused on the fact that it was the sis. city of Atlantis but I think that was their point! It was exactly the same as Atlantis; the same city they already posses. The difference is that it was half buried in trees and it’s ZPM was almost dead. The fact is that Sheppard’s team probably assumed that the city had exactly the same tech since Rodney determined that it was the same size as Atlantis. Granted that the cities throne chair did seem to have some add-ons with the whole seeing eye monitor thing, but whose to say that someone in Atlantis’s chair couldn’t do the same thing if they put their mind to it. Another point is that this was a filler episode to build on future episodes. So bottom line, the city was of more use to the local inhabitants then it was to the SGA, and they got everything that they needed from them at the time. They got more P.J. ships and a s**t load of drones in exchange for meds. and a number to contact the SGA. About the only thing they could do to acknowledge the city was to say “wow this is just like Atlantis” and I heard Rodney say something to that affect a couple of times in the episode. I give this ep. *** 1/2
        I think a lot of the people who are complaining about the "unexplored potential" in this episode were under the impression that the Atlantis team could just walk in, take whatever they wanted, take over the entire city and set up an entirely new base of operations, and leave after they looted anything worth taking.

It's like manifest destiny at its worst.

Comment

If this question has already been addressed, I'm sorry.

Why is it that the buried portions of the city can expearance tremors that will cause a cave in- yet they feel nothing in the Tower?
          Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
          "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
          "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
          ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
          McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
          "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger82
            I think a lot of the people who are complaining about the "unexplored potential" in this episode were under the impression that the Atlantis team could just walk in, take whatever they wanted, take over the entire city and set up an entirely new base of operations, and leave after they looted anything worth taking.
            They walked in and overthrew the government, but instead of sticking around to assume control, they just took what they wanted and left. That's hardly an improvement.

There's a sister city. There could be all kinds of useful information in the databanks. There could be bits of techlonogy there that aren't in Atlantis. Parts of Atlantis that were destroyed by being submerged could be intact in Inverness and more about the Ancients could be learned from that.

And speaking of the Ancients, there's the fact that not all of them left Pegasus/died in the Wraith War. And we're not talking about just one or two, it has to be a pretty big nice number in order for there to still be a workable geneology 10,000 years later. Chances are, some of those early Ancients may have left notes behind, which could explain more about them and their situation and the city in general.

Originally posted by Schrodinger82
            Saying that the entire story took a "back seat" to it is blowing the entire scene completely out of propertion. You might as well claim that the entire story took a backseat to the fact that McKay was still hungry after eating dinner.
            Ah, but SCIFI didn't focus their advertising on McKay's stomach, did they? Which means that the complainers aren't the only one who felt the kirking was significant.

Comment

Originally posted by JUNIOR
              Most members seem to hate this episode because the TPTB didn't give the actual city enough attention to acknowledge that it was Atlantis's sister city, but in my opinion this way a pretty good stand alone.
              I haven't read that at all. I'm one of the ones who wish they did pay more attention to the city and the signaficance, but I also said it was a very good episode. I think you are misinterpreting what they are saying.

Comment

Spoilers

Grant it the whole scene with Mara and Shepard in bed did detract from the overall episode. But if you ignore that at its heart is a classic stargate one-off episode.

If you think that i am completely crazy feel free to say so

And we got more drones and jumpers!!!
                Season 10 is by far my favorite season and i have been watching Stargate since the beginning.

Comment

It's unlikely you are the only one who enjoyed this episode.

However, judging from the reviews on this forum, you are probably what is part of the few that did

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
                    It's unlikely you are the only one who enjoyed this episode.

However, judging from the reviews on this forum, you are probably what is part of the few that did
                    Nope I loved it too. See my "Best Eps of Season 2 Thread" a few people loved it as well.
                    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
                      I think tonights SG1 episode actually beat the SGA episode. Hasnt happened in awhile!
                      It's happened almost every week this season, for me.

I don't know what the frak happened to SGA. Season 1 was so good, imo. I was loving it. And SG1 was so... not. But this season, it's reversed for me. SGA started out good, but is horrible now, and SG1 ROCKS.

Comment

i liked it
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I didn't think it was too bad. Definitely not my favorite ep this season, but it had its moments.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I thought it was a good ep and i enjoyed it
                            The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                              I didn't think it was too bad. Definitely not my favorite ep this season, but it had its moments.
                              I have to agree. People overdramatize alot.

Comment

being bout another atlantis ship it was a huge failure.

Comment

Working...
                                X