Aurora (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGalisa:
    9 pages!! haven't read anything above yet...
    Originally posted by ShadowMaat:
    Actually, Canada got the ep earlier this week, which is how there are nine pages of discussion "overnight".
    ...not to also mention that there seems to be more than a few other topics merged into this entire episode topic... that's what I get for not skimming thru the pages or reading anything first before posting...

gosh, just imagine all of the ep topics getting the misc. other {related episode} topics merged in... what a *headache* that'd be, for sure! Searching alone for closely related info mixtures is a monster idea in itself. agh!

Originally posted by Amalthia, at post # 19:
    I also didn't like the time pressure in the episode and I think they could have defrosted some of the ancients.
    See Seastallion's comments below:
    Originally posted by Seastallion:
    ...even the youngest crewman on board the Aurora would physically be about a 100 years old. The only thing keeping them alive at all, were the stasis pods. If any of them had left, they'd die almost immediately.
    Exactly! McKay said it first, and Shep repeated it later to the captain that they were all too old to survive being revived out of stasis (about 10,000 years worth)...

...the ancients. it's just frustrating that they never really learn more about them.
    frustrations are probably unanimous, but folks did ask for *tidbits* to be handed out in drips and drabs, instead of one huge lump sum - thus causing an "end of story saga".

Out of the 91% of the ancient database, that Zelenka wasn't able to save to the SGC's hard-drives in the SIEGE eps, how much of that 9% that could be saved still hasn't yet been deciphered? How much of it has actually been revealed to us viewers?? It's probably a challenge that the writers *are* fully aware of and haven't even figured out for themselves what new technologies, etc. are waiting to be revealed...

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
      I have two questions I want to ask all my fellow SGA fans and GW brethern....

1) Why did'nt Shep mention that the Ancients had ascended or they learned how to ascend? I kept waiting on him to mention this to at least the captain.

2) Do you think the crew ascended after the explosion?. Again I was kind of waiting to see a white light emerge from the explosion indicating they had ascended.

3) I know this question is kind of tied inot my 2nd question but do you think those Ancients ascended not knowing that the other Ancients had learned to ascend. Maybe they had an Ancient angel waiting to help them ascend after the explosion?
      1. I don't know. I was kept waiting to.

2. I think they did. It wouldn't take much writing to put that into play.

3. That would be how I would put into into play.
      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

1. How many Puddle Jumpers did Aurora have or did it have any?

2. That's that the question I have.
        STARGATE ICARUS
        Premiering April 20, 2006
        Website coming soon. Forum:www.colonelmoore.proboards2.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Col. Moore (Icarus)
          1. How many Puddle Jumpers did Aurora have or did it have any?
          I dont think the Aurora had any pjs, or they were destroyed or used in the fight that depleted the drones.

Comment

...also, under a separate (lengthy) note...Not sure if this has already been discussed...
            but couldn't ignore this, because it seems to be a common complaint and *trend* in the harder-core BSG vs. SG groups, and not sure if all points have been answered here (in addition to the below info, I usually -mostly- ignore plot-holes and so-claimed cliches, and just *enjoy* the stories as they are! it's more relaxing and therapeutic that way, too!)...
            Anyway, I'm trying not to compare SGA to BSG...but episodes like this make me wonder if the writers of BSG wrote an episode for SGA would it be much better?
            no. Not if it follows the same patterns of BSG, which forever seems preoccupied in focusing mostly on pure violence with more violence, explicit sexual encounters {meaning no visual modesty for the actors whatsoever}, or drunkeness. Ronon's drunken bout in SG:A's "Trinity" was enough for a while. And viewers all got overdosed with Lt.Ford's hopped up wraith enzyme drug in "Lost Boys"... sporadic studies in futility, for sure, but keep them sporadic and spread out over time!

It also seems that the new BSG series has become Lexx's next generation (Sci-Fi channel) replacement but with BSG taking itself extremely seriously, limiting natural humor (with too many brooding melancholics acting out), and pushing the already psychologically depressed further into a corner with no hope of ever escaping the darkness, unless it's loaded in nearly every episode with physical-visual sex (not to be confused with *sexiness*) or a bottle of boos. (*sigh*)

Hence, the new BSG series has simply earned a reputation for being overly violent, with a constant stream of violence. Too much of its storyline has SGA's Col.Sumner's persona and attitudes. Maybe that's BSG's reborn-persona. Doesn't entice certain moody melancholics seeking relief from the bully mentality. Maybe viewers who do love the bully mentality of BSG either desire to be bullied around a bit, or are bullies themselves. Military issues, in general, don't give room for melancholics and don't tolerate natural humor - cynical or not. This is what the new BSG series has become; and some viewer commentaries reflect those very same attitudes.

Sure, explore a story or so on abuse (like Drug Abuse in SGA's Lost Boys, and the beat up cylon Six in BSG's mid-season-2 finale), but BSG is more about violence, sex or excessive drinking. There is little room to explore anything else. No interesting worlds or E.T.cultures to meet up with (and earth alone in all of its complexities doesn't count). Sum total of 13 colonies, humans vs. cylons and how many other galaxies in the universe? Lots of creativity that could be tapped into, but BSG isn't about exploring the entire universe. If they did, they'd be stepping outside from their own thematic storyline BOX and personality factors.

I used to think Stargate (SG-1) was too serious in its early seasons, and incapable of including any senses of humor, until I saw "Window of Opportunity" and "The Other Guys". Then, I started noticing the fun side of the entire series. BSG has no fun side (in my POV) of that type; and what it has presented so far, isn't my idea of *fun*. Somehow, I just can't get into their "victory" celebrations and wild partying (cause tomorrow might never come!)... I've never had that problem with Stargate. Maybe the darkness on BSG with fractured personas (dysfunctional family category) is just too overwhelming and overshadows any genuine joy making true enjoyment often suffocated instead.

SGA's bantering between Shep and McKay or McKay with anybody has become a delight to behold. They are both loners, yet find a common bond. They snark at each other, but have become almost inseparable friends. The Aurora episode is proof of that - Rodney risking his life for Sheppard... and I believe most of Aurora's Shep and McKay bantering just might be the humorous "Hope and Crosby" connection Joe Flanigan mentioned in his Season 2 interview.

When it was revealed that Stargate's Samantha Carter had a fractured relationship with her dad, and he was dying of cancer, her frustrations were easily felt, and many viewers felt compassion for her situation. But SG healed those fractures in time, while expanding her family and focus of interests. BSG has multiple fractures, and has tried to patch them up, but rips them away too quickly again. Real life? Yes. But seeing complete healing just doesn't seem likely. So far, the *darkness* steals every sliver of light on BSG. Only Laura Roslin has so far survived the darkness. And hers is currently drug induced.
            ========

Anyways...
            If a BSG writer did write any SG eps, it's probably better not to advertise who writes *what* sometimes, and would be very necessary to stick to the format (including censor-wise) that's already been established, and keep the eps in context of the program's storyline. Let stealth mode *prove* itself over and over first, before the mystery writer is revealed. (No behind the internet chat sessions of support so-and-so 'cause they write for BSG. Stealth is stealth. Let the writer prove their creativities first.) Only TPTB need to know who's who and worked on what. It's only fair for the regular SG writers also involved.

Why? Considering the internet wars reputation of BSG taking over SG, figuratively or literally - it also might just work out better that way. And...Because -otherwise- there'd probably be a constant stream of BSG to SG comparisons afterwards.

Strong Case in point: When it was finally revealed that "Sanctuary" was written by a Star Trek writer, the Captain Kirk accusations made more sense... the ep had Rodney comparing Shep as Captain Kirk. On one level, it could have been a tribute to the Star Trek series; but the result actually ended up as unnecessarily derogatory and degrading. It was Shep's first E.T.alien encounter, not his 50th fling in another galaxy! I liked "Sanctuary", except for how the Kirk accusations were pounded into the ground...

Besides, I think Shep isn't into Star Trek as much as Rodney, but that idea hasn't been dealt with, as yet, and might never be. Although I have seen more Star Wars comments from Shep, as revealed in "Rising, part 2" (galaxy far, far away), and "Lost Boys"
            Spoiler:
            (Shep's wishful *R2* conversation in the wraith dart!).

Oh, and it seemed Daniel's Jackson's alien encounter flings were forgotten about within the SGC series itself. By that comparison, Daniel had a closer track record to being accused of acting like Captain Kirk than Shep *ever* had.

Personally, McKay could possibly have an obsession with Kirk in some experience from his childhood... and I could see Rodney belonging to the SGC Star Trek fan club like Coombs and Felger (SG-1 ep: "The Other Guys"), but that idea never got explored or explained, and fell sort of short, especially in light of SG's own Daniel, Jack, and Sam's (SG-1) history of dating E.T.aliens - who were NOT from earth.

Shep's actual E.T. *dating* slate was clean, until Chaya came along. Learning how to fight with sticks in later Season 1 eps, and flirting with Teyla in the "Rising" eps (of the city of Atlantis) wasn't dating... and they've had more negatives come between them since they first met, than positives (see "Letters from Pegasus" and "Siege").
            Last edited by SGalisa; 25 September 2005, 08:02 PM. Reason: future ep "Lost Boys" spoiler tag

Comment

Originally posted by Dannygirl
              I don't remember, did they say they were working on finding a weakness or if it was just found (accidentally)?
              that was their mission (well it was a recon anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegem
                You make good points like with using chair interfaces to a regular old Star Trek setup in Aurora. I definitely got a much more mundane humanesque vibe from the Ancients in Before I Sleep and Aurora and even Threads than how they've been built up to be perceived in the past. I'd say that maybe we were just putting the Ancients on a pedestal without actually knowing them before, like it was suggested in Trinity, but we have living examples like the opening of Rising and Frozen. Perhaps what we are seeing of the Ancients in Stargate Atlantis is from when their society was past its prime.
                You know I've been thinking the same thing, and it does explain nicely why the Ancients we have seen in SGA are less advanced than some of the ones in SG-1. Their civilization had peaked and was in decline. They could probably build and maintain existing technologies, but found it difficult to create new ones.

Also it would explain why we haven't seen much of the healing abilities shown by some of the SG-1 Ancients. I suspect that after around 2-3 million years of intermixing with the humans of Pegasus, the gene pool of the Ancients that came to Pegasus was fairly well diluted and so such abilities were probably fairly rare.

Comment

I liked the toast at the end. Very appropriate and, for me, moving.

I liked the look Teyla flashed when they were about to put Sheppard into the pod, and were talking about who was more important (Sheppard or McKay), and the subsequent look by Dex.

The rest? *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                    I only cried when i was told stargate wasnt real
                    actually... The stargate is from some proffessor that had this theory (i read it somewhere that is where the writers got it from). Alot of the stuff on stargate is a reality. Z.P.E for example is real, but we lack the knowledge on how to use the energy (ZPE= Zero point energy, it is a complete vaccuum).

Comment

i don't think the ancients in Aurora might learn how to ascended because they're too old, they don't have enough stenght to release the burden.

the ancient are very weak and very old, there no way when the ancient can ascended while in pod. they're too weak to learn how to ascended.

Comment

I just watched this last night, late Sunday, and I did enjoy it. I know there has been some comment about this being similar to The Matrix. However I think that's a bit unfair. There was a similarity in that people were in stasis and living in a virtual world. Believe it or not, that concept isn't even oriignal to The Matrix. Plus, Aurora's plot was different enough to set it apart from the Matrix. In any case, it's an entertainment sci-fi show, and just aspires to entertain viewers. I know it worked for me. I do have a couple of questions which I may have missed the answers to since I was watching it so late: 1) were the ancients in stasis because it was such a long trip to Atlantis? Or because their ship was badly damaged & that was the only way for them to survive? and 2) why didn't they know they were in a virtual environment? I wonder if the Wraith figured out what was going on and half-way 'woke up' the ancients to their virtual state so he could interact w/ them as the first officer. That way he could learn what they knew and get whatever knowledge they had without them even knowing. That's the only reason I can think of why they didn't know they weren't really 'awake.'

If anybody knows the answers to these 2 questions, I would appreciate it. (And I apologize if this was covered earlier, but I can't really read 13 pages and 249 posts!)

In any case I did enjoy this episode. True, we didn't come away with any new knowledge or technology, but it's all another piece of the puzzle, and at least confirmed that a weakness in the Wraith does exist. There was good teamwork and interpersonal dialog. I liked the Weir/Dex interlude in the opening. And the team interaction on the Aurora was good... it was a 'sink or swim' situation. Shepard, McKay, Teyla, and Dex were on the Aurora and had only each other to rely on while they tried to figure out what was going on, and talk Caldwell into giving them enough time to deal with it. Plus, the fate of the Ancients was heart-rending. Other than the captain, they didn't even know they weren't awake, and next thing you know, they sacrificed themselves to destroy the Wraith ships.

Good job, writers, for adding some unusual elements (and healthy doses of humor) into an interesting episode.

And the final scene, the toast to the crew, was very touching.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                          In the thread for that ep, it was constantly likened to The Matrix. Ahahaha, the day SGA - or SG1 for that matter - is like The Matrix, i'll have seen my first flying pig!

Of course the SG team in black and leather with cells and leaping across buildings would be pretty cool...for Carter of course, she'd have a choice of a Blue or Red One (Yellow Ones? ahem? )

*gasp* an idea for a photomanip! Tee hee!

Okay maybe there were no black leather outfits (and thank God 'cause I'm getting a frightening mental picture of Rodney in Trinity's outfit ), but I still thought there were a lot of similarities. You didn't think the scene where Rodney opened the gate for Sheppard and knocked out the two guards was a nod to the Matrix? Even the music was similar.
                          b.

Comment

I thought this was a pretty decent episode. Although, frankly, it didn't really have the same effect that SG-1's Prototype had for me. I mean, we got nothin' out of it except the knowledge that the Wraith "have a weakness". Ooooooo. Everyone has a weakness!!! If they had found it, it would've been groundbreaking. Instead, it became anti-climatic.

That said, I did enjoy seeing Ancients again, even if it was only virtual. I also couldn't help but feel that there was a similarity between the interior of that ship and the interior of the ship in Sg-1's "Scorched Earth".

I also enjoyed the comedic scenes. The whole scene with Wier and Ronan in the Commisary at the beginning I think was pure gold.

Overall, I think that Atlantis has proved that it can do good fillers and this was one of them. But nothing else can really be taken from this ep IMHO.
                            Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I just watched this last night, late Sunday, and I did enjoy it. I know there has been some comment about this being similar to The Matrix.

The Matrix was bleak and depressing. Don't see the similarities. VR is a common theme. Now, if SHep had shown up in a long black coat and was bouncing walls, I'd see the objection.

I may have missed the answers to since I was watching it so late: 1) were the ancients in stasis because it was such a long trip to Atlantis? Or because their ship was badly damaged & that was the only way for them to survive? and 2) why didn't they know they were in a virtual environment?

I suspect so, and I suspect after 10,000 years, they simply forgot and lost track of reality. Geez, it's easy enough to lose your train of thought when you're stuck on hold on a phone

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                                I just watched this last night, late Sunday, and I did enjoy it. I know there has been some comment about this being similar to The Matrix.

The Matrix was bleak and depressing. Don't see the similarities. VR is a common theme. Now, if SHep had shown up in a long black coat and was bouncing walls, I'd see the objection.
                                [shallow moment]

Oooh, Shep in a long black coat!

[/shallow moment]

Comment

Working...
                                X