Conversion (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McKay's girl
    Didnt that eppy just make you wanna give Shep a hug everytime he was on screen?

btw, am I the only one who found Frog-Shep ridiculously attractive?
    1. NO

2. YES!

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
      Let's not even go there. There are many good SCIENCE FICTION stories TPTB can come up with other than doing anything as silly as a love triangle. Leave that to the afternoon soap operas.
      No way. Love triangles are what make stories great. It creates dynamic tension.
      It feels good to be alive.
      Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
        Dynamic tension...a good work out will produce that too. (Sorry that line made me think of the Rocky Horror Picture Show).

Anyway, back OT.......I prefer my "dynamic tension" on action shows and SciFi, to be derived from the plot and the action, NOT from a soapdish triangle. But that's just my opinion.
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
          So does exploring other galaxies full of Ancient cities and tech and bad guys that suck the life outta ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
            Aren't bug predators either LARGER bugs or birds.......hey, a chicken is a bird, right Droops? Wonder if we'll get to see GIANT chickens?
            Just where the heck IS that giant chicken pic that FP has when you need it!?

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
              Just where the heck IS that giant chicken pic that FP has when you need it!?
              It went into the cave with the two red shirts. The eratus bugs sucked the life right out of it.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                ROFL

Yeppers, he DID shoot him twice, we can't forget that! Wonder if Shep will.....just kidding. I'm being "facetious".......
                Ok..let's see Dex has shot Shep what...4 times. Shep shot McKay once. McKay shot Ford once. Shep shot Ford once. Dex shot Teyla twice. Has Shep shot Dex? Editing.... Ford shot Lorne once.
                Last edited by TheGreatCatOfRe; 12 September 2005, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                  It went into the cave with the two red shirts. The eratus bugs sucked the life right out of it.
                  Those poor red shirt security guys....I think that was somewhat...er...overkill. Wasn't that Lorne's whole Wanna Be Team (S.A.R.T)?

R.I.P. Giant Chicken!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorr
                    Okay, it is a very rare thing for me to post in a forum, but I feel the urge. I thoroughly enjoyed Conversion. As a matter of fact, I feel that SGA has really found its rythm this season, in the writing, acting, directing, everything. I really like the fact that there are two very smart, strong women, and men that are not threatened by them. Thank you!!!

Conversion was good in many ways, at least to my mind. It allowed all of the main characters a good amount of screen time and dialogue. There was no scenery chewing, a thing which is unnecessary to get the point/emotion/whatever across. The performances by the actors were very good. They imparted a genuine fear and concern for their friend without the gnashing of teeth and wailing that is seen so often. And the special effects were very tasty. (For brevity, I'm going to use first names here.)

Caldwell is ia career military man and has been a commander for some time. He wants Sheppard's job. I think Mitch is playing a complex, amibitious character quite well.

I love Torri as Weir. She is playing exactly as she should be. In this episode, she is very worried about losing a good friend, but, at the same time, she needs to stay in charge as leader of Atlantis. And, she is very suspicious of Caldwell, who doesn't help his own case. I am glad she let him know that. I think her entering Sheppard's quarter's alone was not too far wrong. She did not know he had not taken the inhibitor, and all was quiet in the room when she entered.

David as McKay is just delightful to watch. I have a good friend who is very much like McKay, brilliant, but a bit on the cowardly side. McKay does show a brave side often enough. I wouldn't change him. It is good to show the balance of the person of average courage alongside those who rush in without thought for their own safety.

Jason is doing very well as someone who was out in the cold for so long and is settling into a new and incredibly different environment. I like what he is doing, and the fact that he is so easy on the eyes does not hurt at all. He is fitting into the team

Paul is great as Beckett. What more can I say? He always does a wonderful job and makes Beckett believable and sympathetic.

I cannot imagine anyone else as Teyla. Rachel is too delicious as this dynamic, intelligent woman who is fighting for her people with unwavering courage. I think in Conversion, Teyla was taken surprise by Sheppard's kiss. She already knew something was amiss, but this was unexpected and a little scary. Her reaction in that scene and at the end was beautifully played. Also, in between, she is concerned for and loyal to Sheppard.

Joe has grown to own this role. He is very believable as Sheppard. I like the fact that Sheppard does not need to be dominant. He knows and accepts that other people are smarter (McKay, Zelenka) or stronger, better fighters (Teyla, Ronin) and seems to be quite happy about it. That imparts someone who is comfortable with who he is, and that is so cool. Joe played this perfectly. He played Sheppard's own shock at kissing Teyla well. (I love the comment that is was "interesting".) As soon as Sheppard sees his arm, he calls Beckett (how often do the characters try to hide their problems?). Then, he is aware of the changesand how dangerous he is becoming. One could see John Sheppard trying to remain in control as the change overtakes him. And, then at the end, he is barely in control as he goes to the cave with the others. His whole being is concentrating on getting the eggs. Joe played it beautifully.

Lastly, the writing and direction were just wonderful. I was glued to the couch and found myself holding my breath more than once. That is hard to do (see the drivel that mostly passes for TV these days. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have to reply to this...
                    Best review that I have read so far....you've really hit all of the main characters right on the dot!
                    thanks....
                    sigpic

Comment

Lorr -- love this review of all of the characters! That was my favorite thing about "Conversion", the mix of subtle (little looks, glances, eyebrow raises) and not-so-subtle (the kiss, Weir's statement to Caldwell, Beckett's work) character development, and you nailed it all! Thanks.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                        I didn't see her really frightened at all during that scene. She just looked so confused, like she had no idea what just happened (neither does Sheppard for that matter). If I had to give words to it, I'd probably describe it as "Okaaaay...." Also, to me, the kiss wasn't nearly as telling as the apology scene that comes later. There is definitely something going on between these two -- watch John's face and his eyes, kind of smiley and soft. He's not worried that she won't forgive him, just that he won't know where they stand after this. Plus, the fact that he is rather reluctant to even imply that he's sorry for what he did and the way that they both neatly evade an actual, verbal apology is quite interesting. Kind of like neither wanted to say that it was a mistake or unwanted. Hmm. Thoughts on this scene?
                        I didn't read the lack of an apology as an indication they might not think it was a mistake/unwanted.

Shep doesn't apolgise. Period.

Unlike McKay who just comes right out (after lots of blustering and arrogance) and humbles himself completely, Shep dances around the issue, cracks some jokes, gets a little testy and ultimately uses his quirky smile to good effect in the hope both parties will forget about it.

We saw him do the same thing with Weir in Hot Zone.

I think it's a rather interesting aspect of his character and one I'd like to see put to the test a little more often.

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                          I didn't read the lack of an apology as an indication they might not think it was a mistake/unwanted.

Unlike McKay who just comes right out (after lots of blustering and arrogance) and humbles himself completely, Shep dances around the issue, cracks some jokes, gets a little testy and ultimately uses his quirky smile to good effect in the hope both parties will forget about it.

We saw him do the same thing with Weir in Hot Zone.

I think it's a rather interesting aspect of his character and one I'd like to see put to the test a little more often.
                          You know, I never really picked up on that fact. Shep does use his charm to get out of apologizing. Interesting tidbit. Thanks for pointing it out.

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
                          I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
                          Spoiler:
                          Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate

Interesting observation. Good on McKay for being able to admit (however grudgingly) to making the occasional mistake.

And Shep's supposed to be the charming one? Pffft.

I like McKay's style better, anyway.

Comment

Disclaimer: (I have not read through the thread yet)

This is a quick, not-very-thought-out post, but I just had to say that I've ALWAYS preferred Teyla/Shep (if I had to absolutely choose ), and I still wasn't moved by the smooch. Perhaps there's something wrong with me...

Oh. Nope. I just don't want to see any ship in SGA - especially after they said there wouldn't be any. THAT'S right.

Now, every time I look at Shep, Teyla and Weir (and now Caldwell, dang it), I'm gonna wonder if there's some creepy, ship square going on. SG-1 never even tried that (thank God), and it STILL had some of the worst ship wars ever. Plus, as you all have said, I'm sure: It was just like freakin' Broca Divide.

Adding insult to injury, every time it looks like Dex is pining after Teyla, I'm gonna have to check to make sure I haven't accidentally stumbled onto my younger sister's Tivo-ed episode of "General Hospital."

Who woulda thunk that a blue-blooded, Sam/Jack shipper like yours truly was actually miffed by the very presence of ship, eh?

For the record: I've come to terms with the fact that Shweir isn't just a figment of one's imagination, and that Teyla/Dex really is gonna happen. Yippee.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatCatOfRe
                                Ya think? I was thinking they left her behind on the planet. No reason...actually the "Villagers" probably wouldn't want her there on the planet so maybe they did take her back w/them.
                                I don't know...the way they just walked away from the body made me think they were going to leave her.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Working...
                                X