The Intruder (202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
    -Much more Rodney in this ep, thank goodness! So first Rodney has to see Gaul die in Defiant One, then see Grodin die in Siege 1, and now he has to watch his friend die in this ep. Poor guy, he seems to get so much direct emotional whumpage.
    I was thinking about that earlier. Working with Rodney seems to be rather fatal. Zelenka should count his blessings he's survived as long as he has.

Comment

Liked it very much! In fact, I loved it! A great episode.

Some highlights/top favs after watching it only once (might add more after watching it more times):

1. The scene with Weir and Sheppard talking together at the beggining. Loved to see more of them sharing some personal time.

2. The flashbacks. A nice surprise. Totally loved them. All of them. But if I had to pick some favs, I'd go for Shep at Ford's relative/friend's house (well, can't remember right now the exact relationship between Ford and that woman) and the one with Elizabeth finding out that Simon was not going to Atlantis and that he was seeing someone else. Loved those two flashbacks.

3. Sheppard's promotion. I already knew about the promotion because I had read spoilers, but I didn't know, or didn't remember, it happened in this episode. A minor complain here: I wanted to SEE Sheppard's promotion ceremony, with him in the dress blue uniform *THUD* <have to... stop... thinking... about... Shep... in... uniform>. We haven't seen him in the USAF blues yet. <sigh>

4. Hermie ROCKS. Hahahahahah. A personality so different from Thor's. He's great

5. Sheppard talking about Hermie and the way he looked at him (that scene with Mc Kay). ROTFLMAO

6. Shep piloting other stuff than the jumper. We haven't seen that since Rising, when he flew a chopper. Love him in pilot mode (I'm an aviation nut, so I love anything that shows planes or any kind of space/aircraft)

7. Haven't anyone there heard of Norton Antivirus? Maybe they hadn't gotten the latest update. LOL. Imagine the latest Norton ad: "it cleans all viruses, even those from other galaxies". Hehehe

8. McKay and Shep being locked from the 302s hangar, and McKay assuming that position before being beamed up. OMG. I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes. So damn funny.

9. McKay and Shep inside the 302, Shep telling him something like he better stopped talking in order to keep the limited supplies for more time. And raising his finger. LOL

10. The final dogfight. Yeah!! Once again, as an aviation nut, I loved it!

Lily

Comment

Well.. let's see...

At first I didn't think it'd be that great, though I didn't think of Entity at all really, the episode just seemed like it wasn't going to be interesting.

But I'm glad I was wrong...

The story wasn't nessecarily anything really awesome, but it had so many great moments and a few exciting scenes. Plus some nice character development via flashbacks, although I'm not sure if they seemed out of place or not since they really had nothing to do with the main plot the episode. Still, it was nice to have an explanation for Sheppard's promotion and I figured there was an end in sight for Weir's relationship with Simon.

Hermiod was great! I loved Sheppard's reaction to him - "Is he supposed to be naked like that?" and McKay's conversations with him.

I, too, was kinda bothered by how Sheppard was magically standing after being transported from the 302 where he was sitting.

The dog fight between Sheppard and McKay's 302 and the virus-controlled one was probly my favourite part of the episode ^_^

So it was a good, fun episode, nothing spectacular, but still good.

8/10.

Comment

Just had a thought about this episode...

Last night, I was disappointed that Shep's promotion took place off-screen. I wanted to see how the writers would handle his "pinning-on" ceremony. But now having thought about it, I realize why they decided that showing it on-screen wouldn't be a good idea. Namely, the fact that whoever they decided to have do the actual "pinning-on" would have raised more story headaches than they wanted to deal with right now.

I say this because typically an officer's commander does the "pinning-on." (This is how it was for my husband up until his last promotion.) This raises a problem because who precisely *is* Shep's superior? The way TPTB have explained things in the past is that it's whoever is the head of Homeworld Security, be it Hammond or O'Neill. Thus, they would be the ones to do the pinning. And TPTB are not about to pay DSD or RDA just to come in and do that!

Alternatively, Weir could have done it, as his de facto boss, but then you're really taking chances with the ship/anti-ship going on out there. Bad enough she hugged him last week, and basically extorted his promotion for him. If we had a scene of her pinning him on... well, let's take a moment to imagine the uproar...

*Taking a moment*

*Okay, I'm done*

Finally, they could have done like they did at my husband's last promotion and like they're planning to do at his next one: have a spouse or family member "assist" with the pinning-on. That wouldn't have worked either because TPTB are keeping Shep's background a mystery, and if some parent/sib/SO suddenly showed up, the writers would be showing their hand sooner than they probably would want.

So I can see why we didn't get to see Shep's promotion. Perhaps they're keeping that flashback in mind for sometime later this season, sometime when they can work out the logistics of having a superior do it, or when they feel comfortable storywise having certain other people do it.

Anyway, I hope so!
          "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

This episode reminds me about all the things I like about Stargate... the energy, the tension, the sense of fun and the trademark humour. I was just saying to my husband that when Stargate does humour well... it does it very, very well. When it doesn't... it sinks like the Prometheus that doesn't get unbound...

I'm probably one of the few people who actually likes this episode even more than the larger than life Seige III... I enjoyed the unfolding of events, mixed in with flashbacks. I never thought that Stargate was capable of this kind of storytelling... tightly integrated flashbacks with a dominant storyline in thriller mode. Compared to the previous episode, Intruder is much more focused in its execution and it was a huge bonus to be able to catch glimpses into the inner life of cast members.
            I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we're finally getting a main female character on Stargate (Weir) that I can sink my teeth into. One that is competent, feisty, intelligent and yet has her vulnerable side. I personally saw all of that in this episode and I rejoiced. While the writers have a long way to go, I'm content for now that they're taking steps in the right direction.
            I, too am happy that although Ford has gone AWOL... he has not been forgotten. It really strengthens in my mind that the bond I saw between Sheppard and Ford was not a figment of my imagination. I love the reminder that he is still a part of the team even in his absence.

I didn't see anything particularly shippy in that conversation between Weir and Sheppard... they looked like a couple of friends interacting on a personal level. I was, however, quite disappointed (as a Sheppard fangirl speaking) that we didn't see his promotion and all that felt somewhat anti-climatic... part of me thinks that that will be revisited somewhere down the track but at this stage I can only speculate that his promotion was more of a political appointment rather than one that the military embraced wholeheartedly.

Hermiod... Hermie... What a star! He's certainly become Thor's rival for my affections. I loved his interaction with Rodney and the way Sheppard was eyeing him off... that was a nice touch actually... that someone, certainly Sheppard, would be uncomfortable with a member of an alien species. It added some degree of realism for me as well as some well-placed humour. It was also the kind of cross cultural uneasiness that I had hoped for Teyla but has unfortunately never eventuated.

All in all, a well-constructed episode that weaves strong personal elements into its overall storyline.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by rhoboat
              Yup, shades of HAL 9000 in there, huh?
              Just a little bits . But what did they expect - they go and install this red computer-eyes on the ship and think that the computer will stay obedient? Fools!

Comment

Originally posted by BackStageJim
                "Loved McKay (of course) and his getting out-snarked by Hermiod"
                Heh, McKay (and Sheppard) sure wouldn't be happy if they knew what Hermoid (who I want to call Hemroid.. <G>) was saying. IT's been deciphered already over at http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sta...Atlantis_Talk/

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                  Heh, McKay (and Sheppard) sure wouldn't be happy if they knew what Hermoid (who I want to call Hemroid.. <G>) was saying. IT's been deciphered already over at http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sta...Atlantis_Talk/

Not to brag or anything but... On the contrary, they only translated ONE of the TWO bytes from the episode And they also only caught onto it last night, not in the Seige Part 3. For the comprehensive guide (listen to me bragging) to Asgard speech, you can go to our thread here at Gateworld where you can even check out the audio clips to hear for yourself

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=14236
                  Hermiod Translations found HERE

Comment

Once again complements on another job well done, imo it was a great ep and I love he way it was themed on the deadalus alone. Hermy is cool! Best quote ever: "Crap Indeed"!!

Comment

This episode was very good. It had everything, I love the flashbacks, which was sorta "grayed", that was awesome. So Weir is open and free of any ties. That Simon, is it too much to ask to remain on guard for Weir, to stand by her? I felt so sorry for Weir, it felt like she would do anything for him, and he just turned his back away from her, and started to hump the next girl he could find. What a jerk, Weir is so much better off without him.

What type man is he?!

Anyway, emotions aside, the damn Wraith virus, one smart bugger. Reminds me of my encounters with the stupid ad program - Lop.com, every so often, the entire program would just install itself again, therefore my IE would be over-run with search bars, and cr*p.

I too, do the whole system restore, before the full self-installation of the stupid ad, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ads, we don't want them, we don't need them, just like viruses, biological and computer ones.

I'm glad the writers didn't forget about Ford's family, and how closely knitted he was with his grandparents and now his cousin. Ford will be back, he has to, man! Hermoid rocked in this episode! Now I'm waiting someone to reverse-play what he said, like a member did for the first time Hermoid spoke in reverse.

So since the incident of "The Siege" (Part 3), it has been 2 months, been that long already? Makes sense, SG-1's "Avalon" took place before "The Siege" (Part 2)-ish, so as long as the time frame is clearly labeled, then I and probably alongside others will be fine.

Teyla seems to have learned how to use a Tablet PC, those past 2 months, she has been learning, keeping busy, helping to run Atlantis, and remaining as an liaison or ambassador to her people. My my my, Teyla sure is growing up before our very eyes. Was she flirting with Sheppard at the final scene?

Hmm... LOL

Of course, since the break-up, I noticed that Weir has flirted with Sheppard on the Daedalus more than once. Either way, it's good that they're back on Atlantis, we learned about how the Prometheus use to transport people and looks like we're gonna learn a few more things about the city, all thanks to the ZPM.

Weir did great when faced against the USAF, and who knew Caldwell would be such a SOB.

Well done, writers, it was a very good story and well delivered, it had everything, history, relationship, science, technology, modern dilemma, i.e. viruses and how they're a pain in the a*s.

9/10

Final point, we have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs, not 10 fingers! LOL
                      Last edited by LoveYouBaby; 23 July 2005, 05:32 PM.
                      Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                      WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

I never read the spoilers for this, so I had NO idea what this episode was about.
                        Thought I saw Col. Everett sitting at the SGC briefing room table...? it looked like him (from "Siege, part 3")... keeping mum and without having any "shakes"...
                        Spoiler:
                        Everett did say (In Siege 3) he'd be in the next group sent back to earth.

Originally posted by BaKsHi, at post # 21:
                        This episode had twists and turns in it.
                        I thought so. Resolve one situation, and a new one pops up. The only predictability factor I ever see is knowing that somehow if the actors show up in the next ep (from reading the previews), they'll survive getting to the ending somehow. It's in getting there that often finds its unanticipated twists with turns.

That's what I found to be the wonder and *beauty* of Stargate. When your mind is free of all other TV programming, and past eps, whether something is similar or the same, it allows seeing the unexpected from a different angle. And that what it makes it fresh or new for me, anyway.

This post will probably get buried admist the others, but I'm also grateful that these forums provide so many different perspectives of the same picture. Not all reactions are the same. I do hope TPTB working on TV projects realize and *appreciate* that thought.

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure, at post # 67:
                        Yep - I thought it was "Entity Redux" - but they did it better, and I liked the references to "Entity" by McKay. Nice touch.
                        And it also brought a sort of an expanded continuity to the SG storyline.

Originally posted by JanusAncient, at post # 31:
                        Here we come to Sheppard, has any other person noticed that he has come up with more ideas, than in the entire first season, he is out-thinking Mckay, the guy is smart, but he isn't that intelligent...
                        Maybe he really is *secretly* that intelligent...
                        Afterall, he is part Ancient (has the ATA genetics factor).

This next tidbit was mentioned in the Siege 3 ep topic...
                        Maybe it's because Sheppard is of MENSA level intelligence: He has shown several times that he can think that way, but he doesn't always publicly display it, and unless there is an extreme need, he often keeps it deeply hidden. When pushed under certain pressure situations, Sheppard can think almost equally on par with McKay, and that has often thrown McKay off his own intellectual balance. (other examples: The Storm, Brotherhood)

Comment

Well Sheppard is suppose to be like O'Neill. Smart, but doesn't like people to think he's smart.

But it doesn't mean he's intelligent though.

Did anyone else get the impression that whilst the senior staff was away, Telya was in command of Atlantis? (As she does have leadership skills)
                          Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                          WOOHOO!

Comment

Originally posted by LoveYouBaby
                            So Weir is open and free of any ties. That Simon, is it too much to ask to remain on guard for Weir, to stand by her? I felt so sorry for Weir, it felt like she would do anything for him, and he just turned his back away from her, and started to hump the next girl he could find. What a jerk, Weir is so much better off without him.

What type man is he?!
                            He's the kind of man who has a hard time dealing with the fact that his girlfriend would hie off in the middle of their relationship to parts unknown (am I correct in thinking Simon didn't have security clearance at the beginning of the mission?), that said girlfriend would make no attempts to contact him and when she DID finally send a message, it was a recorded greeting telling him to get on with his life. Basically a video "Dear John" letter.

Then, some indeterminate time later, she suddenly reappears, expecting to pick up right where she left off AND expecting him to move with her to another galaxy, leaving his friends, his family, and his business behind him knowing that visiting home will be a difficult and likely infrequent commodity and that his life in Atlantis will be fraught with untold dangers and the possibility of a thousand different kinds of death.

Actually, he might not even know that much. He didn't sign the non-disclosure agreement, right? So all he knows is that he'd be sent far away to a place that's probably very dangerous.

And as he implied, not everyone is cut out to be an adventurer- lots of people are plain homebodies. And if he doesn't know just how vital the work is, and just how much potential benefit there is to all of humanity, then it's a bit hard to figure that in to his decision-making. To say nothing of the fact that even if someone TELLS you that such-and-such is "vital to all human life as we know it", it's a bit hard to take it seriously, especially if you can't put it into context.

I can understand why he dumped her, I just don't like what it implies for Weir's situation back on Atlantis.

...and who knew Caldwell would be such a SOB.
                            Caldwell an SOB? I never got that impression. His actions all seemed very logical and "right" to me. And I love how he pulled her aside and called her on the carpet for questioning his decisions. Was there not a very similar (and very PUBLIC) situation on Atlantis between Weir and Cavanagh? Only now Caldwell is the one chewing her out! Seems right to me.

I also like the fact that he has a backbone and isn't afraid to stick up for himself and his decisions. He's almost Weir-like, that way. I look forward to seeing more of him this season.

Comment

I hope Weir and Caldwell get to have more face-offs later in this season.

Regarding Simon, I forgot about the episode "Letters from Pegasus", either way, I felt sorry for Weir. A "Dear John" letter-video, maybe. But it seems like he's been seeing someone else not long after Weir had left...

Why am I being so damn protective of Weir, god dammit!

Snap out of it, LYB, snap out of it! LOL, Weir still has Sheppard!
                              Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                              WOOHOO!

Comment

I dunno, I think Weir has a bit of a martyr complex, making all these "noble sacrifices" for the good of mankind and then acting all hurt when things don't work out the way she wants them to. She TOLD him to move on, then she's upset that he did? Way to send mixed signals, Liz.

I can see her side of it, too, but frankly I feel more for Simon and HIS situation, especially if he doesn't know the full scope of things.

Comment

Working...
                                X