No announcement yet.

Trinity (206)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a real shame if an ep discussion thread had to be shut down because people couldn't stick to the subject and decided to attack each other instead.

Regarding Derrick and his "battered woman" scenario, I've started a separate thread about it and would actually appreciate Derrick's input, if he's still around. I have a hard time picturing Dex and Teyla the way he does, but I still think it's an interesting interpretation and I'd like to hear more about the why's and what's of it. To further my own understanding, if nothing else.

As for McKay... I've heard some complain that he was horribly out of character and that the sheer, overwhelming mass of his ego seemed unrealistic. Now, I was one of the ones griping about the backslide in McKay's character in the first few episodes and how I felt they did more damage than justice to his character, but I felt that his portrayal in Trinity was more or less on target. I said it before- it isn't a very pretty picture we get of him, but it reads, to me, as being brutally honest.

McKay CAN get carried away. He DOES get obsessed with science. He DOES think he's smarter than everyone else... because 90% of the time, he is. And I think that, in the beginning, he was being altruistic. Or, at least, part of his motivations were altruistic: he wanted to find out what went wrong so that he could know why Collins had died... and so that he could hopefully prevent it from happening again. But after that, his obsessive nature took over and while he may have been telling himself he was doing it for Collins, it was more about himself and his compulsive need to "conquer" science, to understand everything, and to be better than everyone else. We've all gotten "caught up" in our own projects before (or I have, anyway), it's just that when McKay's involved it's on a much bigger- and in this case more dangerous- scale.

I've seen people complaining that Weir caved too easily to Shep's and Caldwell's demands. But isn't it possible that she, herself, was interested in McKay's experiment? And that it was only the knowledge of the severe danger it posed that made her hold off? Maybe that's why "convincing" her was so easy- it was something she wanted done, anyway, and in this case she was willing to allow her curiosity to overcome her common sense.

I do agree that she should have listened to Radek. She should have forced them to shut down the project right then and there. Curiosity is one thing, and yes, there's trusting Rodney, but with something on this scale, if there is ANY question of safety, I think that it should be investigated. After all, it isn't as if they couldn't shut it down, look into the info Radek discussed, and then start up again later if they deemed his concerns unfounded. Right? I got a sense of urgency to this whole thing, but was there an actual REASON for it?

Poor Radek. He's usually content to stay in Rodney's shadow and just pipe along with the info they've mutually gathered. If he speaks out- particularly against Rodney- it's worth heeding him, IMO. It isn't something he does lightly... or often.

I hope he wasn't TOO crushed by Weir's dismissal. Poor, lovestruck lil' puppy.

Comment

I have to say that I didn't like this episode.
      Call me cynical, but almost every minute of this episode yelled to me like the episode should have been titled "McKay is irresponsible".
      The episode was made to stress that point. McKay is irresponsible.
      The point of the episode was that McKay is irresponsible.
      And we needed a whole episode with a never-heard-before-never-hear-again technology aspect for that?

I can't recall another episode in Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Atlantis that would have been as one-dimensional as this...

(I'm only complaining about the story. The execution, the graphics, the acting, was good as almost always.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bisqwit
        I can't recall another episode in Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Atlantis that would have been as one-dimensional as this...
        Revisions, Avenger 2.0, Disclosure, just to name a few.

Comment

"McKAY YOU BLITHERING EGOTISTICAL MORON" ah, had to say that. God, lost a honking big space gun We could have dismantled it, studied it, and maybe reversed engineered it *sob* Why did the Ancients have honking great space guns, but not one on Atlantis, I am begining to get annoyed at the writers. The city is hopeless. A century of war and it has a single drone launcher. How pathetic. The short arms with the circular tubs at the end should each have supported a ion cannon like the one in Trinity. Perhaps they do, and the power switch hasn't been found yet

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            It would be a real shame if an ep discussion thread had to be shut down because people couldn't stick to the subject and decided to attack each other instead.
            It would be a real shock if one day you realized that you are not in fact, a Moderator, that the Moderator has power to use without explanation or apology to anyone, and without permission or prompts from you being required.

I realize you claim not to read my posts because you said, about me, that 'he' ought to be ignored, in a pointedly insulting post not so long ago, but perhaps one of your many friends will advise you that I still don't see "Moderator" next to your name, and that your stomping your little feet to be obeyed is assumptive of an authority you do not have.

The other thread about Dex and Teyla's 'dark side' is not needed as there is really nothing to discuss.

It would be helpful if you related McKay to what's on the screen, instead of in light of your own interpretation of past episodes trends and your opinion of your expertise at analyzing Stargate.

No, there was no need for urgency in the episode. I didn't sense that. I sensed concentrated teamwork to a point they thought they could try, and once the trial didn't work very well at all, McKay tried again, for the reasons he stated - to have something good come from a tragedy. The time passing between the discovery of the Arcturus and the okay to work on it, and the first trial, is fuzzy. After that, yes, McKay was rushed and urgent, but he wanted to *fix* what had gone wrong.
            ~*~*~*~*~*
            not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
              hehe, I have to mix and match! Can't be totally predictable after all.
              There are other poultry in the world, you know.

And....waterfowl!
              ~*~*~*~*~*
              not so ancient

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by Bisqwit
                Um, the episode had 2 storylines.

So, maybe, uh, not so much.
                ~*~*~*~*~*
                not so ancient

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                  It would be a real shock if one day you realized that you are not in fact, a Moderator, that the Moderator has power to use without explanation or apology to anyone, and without permission or prompts from you being required.

... I still don't see "Moderator" next to your name, and that your stomping your little feet to be obeyed is assumptive of an authority you do not have.

The other thread about Dex and Teyla's 'dark side' is not needed as there is really nothing to discuss.
                  Well the ironic thing is that you aren't a moderator either. And while I'll never worry about people taking on moderator actions like finding threads for us to merge (waves at R___) or telling us when a thread has an error that we should fix (waves at q___) or starting a new thread for a tangential discussion (waves at Shadow) I'll ALWAYS bristle when I see people taking it upon themselves to give another poster a ticking off.

You are not a moderator, not so ancient. You do not get to tell people off for starting a thread. Starting threads is allowed.

If you don't think her thread has anything to discuss, stay out of it. And please, if this is a personal thing, keep it private - I notice you've laid into her twice in this thread alone - then it'd probably be best if you put her on ignore, because we cannot allow personal disputes to come onto the public threads.

Thanks.

Madeleine

Madeleine

Comment

Anybody mind if I give the battered woman kerfluffle a pass? No? Good!

Anyhoo. The episode!

Trinity had some fantastic moments of character development. But ye gods and little fishies...by the end of the hour, I was staring at my TV screen like McKay in "Home," peering into a microscope and seeing a thousand dancing hampsters instead of a cell culture. Because there were chunks of this plot that made NO FREAKING SENSE!

Thanks to the dueling plotlines we're expected to believe that McKay and the science team could discover an amazing, but unfinished piece of Ancient technology with awesome potential; bring the data back to Atlantis; finish up the calculations and work out the bugs; return to the planet; test the device; kill a scientist and head back to Atlantis for an autopsy and an argument -- all in the time it took to get Ronon Dex drunk.

I can swallow a lot of technobabble without complaint. You tell me they can activate the ATA gene with a mouse retrovirus? I believe you! You tell me Wraith can suck out your lifeforce throught their palms? Okey dokey!

All I ask in return is for my show to adhere to some sort of internal logic. You can't spend a year convincing me that McKay is a brilliant, squeamish scientist who never promises more than he can deliver -- and then expect me to believe that he'd rush out and test-fire a weapon that could rip a hole in the fabric of the universe after LESS THAN 24 HOURS OF STUDY?

Bing tiddle tiddle bong!

I could believe McKay's obsession and tunnel vision. (His complete disregard for the new data Zelenka was offering is another matter, but okay, I'll grit my teeth and stipulate that he was totally caught up in the thrill of discovery.) I certainly believed his desperation to wring some sort of redemption or meaning out of his scientist's death.

I just couldn't buy that it would happen on such a stupidly short timetable.

Why did they do that? Running the two plots side by side was nothing but distracting. If they want to give us Dex back-story, why not devote an entire episode to Dex?

As it was, the Dex subplot suffered almost as much as McKay's. I for one wanted to know a heck of a lot more about the man Dex killed. Did he witness his betrayal? Did his taskmaster abandon him to be captured by the Wraith? Because the way the scene played out, it looked like Dex killed him based on an assumption -- if his mentor survived, he must have been because he abandoned the troops under his command. Cowardice isn't a killing offense in my book. But it must have been a blatant act of betrayal if none of the guy's bodyguards cared enough to avenge him. I needed more information -- and I really needed the show to stop jumping back and forth between plotlines. It wrecked the tension in both stories, at least for me.

Meh. I didn't care for this episode -- even though I loved individual scenes.

It would be really nice, though, if the writers decide to deal with all those new trust issues between Sheppard and McKay and Teyla and Dex in the upcoming episode. That would salvage the entire episode for me.

Comment

My problem was I had already guessed McKay was going to mess it up on his first attempt, just like everybody could guess the scientist going in the corridor alone would be the one to die. So when McKay tried the second time I believed there would something more than messing it up a second time as all characters were warning, that there would be a surprise. But no it was just messing it up again as announced from the beginning.

So it was the Dex sub-plot that kept me from yawning and switching off tv. When I saw Dex messing it up for the second time too I began to feel like a slight headache. Well I admit Dex's shooting was not announced and a surprise.

I knew repetition was a stylistic option. I just didn't get the artisctic pleasure from this double repetition of messing it up. The whole episode rang like "Ein Fuss untereinander" to me, and it was scary, but I didn't get the point of making it scary. It was like descent to hell without any purpose in hell.

As far as McKay's realism is concerned, well I can admit his blindness and arrogance is consistent with the character. What I found hard to take is a whole top notch executive team still admitting him as a senior member and watching him do (twice).
                      Last edited by Furling God; 23 August 2005, 04:26 AM.
                      No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
                      I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
                      Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

DEEEEEEP meaning, very complex. So complex and full of depth that I can't explain it here. Gaze deeply at it, though, and you might go on the path to ascension. No promises though.
                        That spongemonkey looks like a dangerous man, and is probably an abused woman as well. . .is probably an egotistical alcoholic to boot, and would love to have Weir hollar at "it" in her private office.

Yep. I saw this episode. I hope this Friday's is just as interesting.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                          That spongemonkey looks like a dangerous man, and is probably an abused woman as well. . .is probably an egotistical alcoholic to boot, and would love to have Weir hollar at "it" in her private office.

Yep. I saw this episode. I hope this Friday's is just as interesting.
                          How could I have missed the Spongemonkey in the past episode? Hmmm, I guess I must have missed alot then. Oh well, there's always next week. (Slowly climbs the winding staircase of Tara).

Um Foolish, do they allow hermaphrodites on SGA?????? Or is Sponge just a cross dresser?
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Two me, this was an episode that made two characters look good.

The first, and the big winner of the night:

Teyla.

The second was Caldwell, more on that in a minute. But first my thoughts on the overall dynamic.

Our team gets split into two. Sheppard and McKay go to a planet with a really neat weapon and a potential power source that could revolutionize science. Exciting stuff!!

Teyla, with Dex in tow, went to negotiate about . . . food.

Sounds pretty boring, but wait! Let's look at what McKay accomplishes. He gets one member of the group killed, and destroys a planet and part of a solar system. The planet might have had other technology, or something else on it, that would have been of use. Maybe the destroyed wraith ships would have had something. Instead, he fails spectacularly.

Now let's look at Teyla. In spite of Dex causing all sorts of potential problems, she successfully carries out a diplomatic negotiation that results in a more useful food source for her people and for Atlantis. Now of course, Atlantis has the Daedalus. But what happens if it gets destroyed? You need food, pure and simple. The new energy source would be nice. Food is absolutely essential. While mundane, Teyla's efforts have a far more postive impact on the entire operation.

Many here, including me, have argued that Teyla needs to do more. She did it here. She showed leadership and diplomatic skills, just like Weir, but with a warrior ability in her as well. I still saw that stupid purple top that she wears, but going past that she showed to me a lot more leadership ability and was able to get the job done.

McKay was McKay, Sheppard was Sheppard, Weir was Weir. To me, none of these characters developed much beyond what we had before. Not that I wasn't entertained, but I didn't see much change.

I DID see change in Caldwell. Far from being just someone who is angry and in opposition to everyone, he seemed more reasonable and was extremely helpful there at the end. Of course he'd like to keep tabs on things, but he saved Shep and McKay. I saw good character development in him this show.

Dex, we got to know more about him. To me, it was fine, but not really critical. I would expect such behavior given that most of his people are dead and he was hunted for sport for some time. He's not going to conform anytime soon, and I don't expect him to do so. Thus, his behavior wasn't surprising. If anything, it was predictable.

Overall a good episode. Pretty good, maybe even very good. Not spectacular or over the top, but solid.
                            What he said!

Really now, this is essentially what the show was about. Teyla being successful, Rodney...well not! Can't have every character progressing in character on each eps. This is one of the areas that SGA is so different from SG1, not everyone gets along all the time

Comment

I was thinking last night after watching the show that the energy they were using or the way it looked very similar to what Doc Oct was doing in Spider Man even the way it expanded look like what he was doing in that movie did it look like that to any one else
                              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                              sigpic

Comment

When I first saw it I thought, hey, where did the Ancients get a Tollan ion cannon from?

Comment

Working...
                                X