The Siege, Part 2 (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BringerOfLight
    *snickers* Unless TACPs are part of the USAF's Special Operations Command, he's an REMF.
    I had a good laugh at that - haven't seen anyone called a REMF in writing before - I'd almost forgotten it existed.

Thanks!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
      If you're going to criticize the episode, criticize something with a little relevance to the actual show, like..I dunno, the plot, the dialogue, or the acting.
      While I agree that folks shouldn't get TOO bogged down by their nitpicking, I don't see anything inherently wrong with it... unless they say that Atlantis is a disgrace to scifi because their soldiers are wearing maroon berets or something similarly over the top.

If people want to complain, let them. This board is here for EVERYONE to discuss the show in all its aspects. If you don't like what people have to say, you can:

1) Ignore them
      2) Ignore the thread
      3) Introduce ideas of your own for discussion
      4) Consider any valid points people may be making
      5) Go eat a chocolate bunny

I'm not a military-type, myself, and I don't have a strong working knowledge of the various ins and outs of things, so it's hard for me to say "this is wrong" or "this is right". I do know that I've ALWAYS found it a bit ridiculous to see SG-1/Atlantis teams shooting "guns" at aircraft and I had a particularly strong moment of disbelief when I saw it in Siege, but the rest of the ep was good enough that I managed to overlook it. Mostly.

The berets reminded me instantly of the original Stargate movie and I thought it was a nice touch to show such a clear division between the more "casual" Atlantis crew and the gung-ho uber military soldier's soldiers imported from Earth. The fact that they "shouldn't" be wearing them doesn't bother me very much... not as much as the guns vs. darts thing, anyway.

Yes, they're easy things to research and yes, it makes the production staff look kinda sloppy when they get things wrong, but it's hardly the first time there have been technical inaccuracies and I'm sure it won't be the last. I've also seen much bigger mistakes on other shows and it didn't seem to harm them overmuch, so I doubt Atlantis's integrity will be destroyed by a few mistakes.

Incidentally, was I the only one who flashed on Col. Danning of Wormhole X-treme in some of those shots of Col. Everett? I think it was a combo of the hairstyle and uniform...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        Incidentally, was I the only one who flashed on Col. Danning of Wormhole X-treme in some of those shots of Col. Everett? I think it was a combo of the hairstyle and uniform...
        Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one!
        Don't say "ka" until you've tried it.

Comment

the battle scene was so much better than in Lost city pt 2. or reckoning. 2

yeah i said it.
          come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

There have been aircraft that have been shot down by AK-47s before, so it isn't unheard of and the only guaranteed way to fail is to not try. Another thing to note is that bullet size isn't everything, especially when it comes to armour penetration. The 5.7mm bullet has a much higher sectional density than most rifle bullets, which means it's more likely to hole structural integrity when it hits something that's designed to stop projectiles.

Furthermore, the fact that anti-aircraft missiles have taken down Darts, we know that they aren't made out of some uber-metal. AA missiles don't kill with the HE in their warheads, they kill by exploding in close proximity to an aircraft and letting the shrapnel from the missile do the dirty work. Therefor, we can come to the conclusion that Darts are in fact vulnerable to projectiles weapons.

Comment

Oh, I have no doubt that it can be done, I just find it a slight stretch of the imagination. Just because it can be done in the real world doesn't mean I have to find it realistic.

Comment

Oh, I have no doubt that it can be done, I just find it a slight stretch of the imagination. Just because it can be done in the real world doesn't mean I have to find it realistic.
                Try done every time an aircraft is shot down, which has been done in almost every war in the 20th and 21st centuries. Welcome back from Sci-Fi Land, you're in the Real World now.

Comment

Originally posted by BringerOfLight
                  Try done every time an aircraft is shot down, which has been done in almost every war in the 20th and 21st centuries. Welcome back from Sci-Fi Land, you're in the Real World now.
                  I don't give a flying monkey if it's believeable or not. AS I SAID, I personally find it a stretch and if I saw a soldier shoot down an enemy jet right in front of me I'd STILL find it hard to believe. So deal with it.

As for the actual topic of this thread... I loved the VFX of the wormhole. Weir's whole storyline with the Genii was very impressive. It's nice to see TPTB finally utilizing Weir in her intended role.

Comment

I don't give a flying monkey if it's believeable or not. AS I SAID, I personally find it a stretch and if I saw a soldier shoot down an enemy jet right in front of me I'd STILL find it hard to believe. So deal with it.
                    +1

It can be done but to think that it can be done with any kind of regularity to be a feasible tactic is ridiculous.

I do recall the story of an A-6 pilot who got shot down from one random AK-47 in Vietnam. But as he said it was a 1 in a million shot.

Comment

Aaargh! Now I'm counting BOTH the days until school's out AND the days until S2 starts!!!

What was good:
                      a. SFX. Very dramatic. I loved the long pans around the city, but me da hated them--apparently, he gets motion sick. So: cool, but maybe not such a good idea.
                      b. Stupid Genii. I really don't like those guys, but I don't quite love to hate them yet, either. Oh, well. I assume that the love part will come in time.
                      c. Emmeret (was that his name?). Such a stupid, stupid, stupid PIA. Why must people assume that they know everything about a give situation? You can never know everything about a given situation, and you certainly can't expect to know everything three minutes after arriving. Bravado makes a lovely show, but it ain't good for much else.
                      d. Sheppard's mission. -biting nails-
                      e. Daedalus. Had it been mentioned before this ep? I didn't think so, which makes it's sudden incorporation into the show seem a tad deus ex machina.
                      f. Weir's 'negotiations'. V. dramatic, very...intense.

What wasn't good:
                      a. I think I'm going into SG withdrawl already. Help!

Comment

Do you think that perhaps since the time line may have changed a little bit due to the time travel that Daedalus the name of what once was Prometheus? Maybe after they changed time the Prometheus was never named/created. *shrug*

Comment

ShadowMaat, I hope you are ok girl. Would you like a helmet? I've noticed that you've been butting heads a lot lately and I was just making sure you are ok. Maybe some chocolates, alcohol and a massage will relieve the stresses of gateworld?

Comment

Thought of it, checked the 'script:

EVERETT: As we speak, it is being transported up to the Daedalus, our new battle cruiser.
                            MCKAY: Oh, sister ship to the Prometheus. I didn't even know it was finished.

On the other hand, it's possible that since time changed, so to speak, Daedalus played a larger role in this timeline than the one we've been watching for 8 years. Which is no excuse, 'cause it's still a cop-out, but is a possibility.

Comment

I do recall during the episode 'Nightwalkers' that they found that alien ship in a old warehouse that was being built by Goa'uld. This could also be related to this issue. Hopefully someone could shed more light on ship, or we just wait until season 9.

Not knowing the full extent of the time travel change, which could also be very small. Anubis could be back, Replicators may have not been destoryed... new enemies could have emerged. I'm anxious to watch the next season!

Comment

I'm of the belief that the Daedalus is being created and brought in due to the need for more seperation from SG-1. They want to keep things as pulled apart from one another as they can, while still allowing for room to cross.

Thus the first attempt of the Prometheus to move in and help Atlantis failed, and the Prometheus' sister ship the Daedalus is brought out of nowhere(Most likely it was being built in secrecy just like the Prometheus...remember, we barely knew the X-303 was being built except for a word here or there in an episode or two).

Comment

Working...
                                X