No announcement yet.

Rising, Part 2 (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not if it doesn't affect their electrical field. We don't really know how a Zat works, and neither how the Wraith works.

Comment

It all goes along with keeping the shows seperate.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

But it still doesn't make sence.

Comment

Originally posted by MadJaffa
          This is something that bothers me. The Atlantis Team are in another galaxy and are the only ones who have guns, they will run out of ammo. Why did they not bring some Zats and Staff weapons? I know it's probably because the production staff want to seperate the two shows but still, it bothers me.
          See that? No zats and no fresh veggies Teyla will just have to take the whole team to some of the new worlds in their galazy to find ammo and take-out

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            Beats me.
            Some think they were afraid that the Ancients would not accept them if they had Goa'uld weapons, but I don't think so.

The Ancients know the diffence between weapons and a symbiote.

They should have brought staffs and zats.

Sure the Zats might not work against the Wraith, seeing that they aren't evolved humans, but the Staffs would have worked.
            I recall them saying in one episode of SG-1 that Staff weapons are very inaccurate compared to Earth weapons (The Warrior, maybe?). O'neill and others use them just fine without the kind of training Teal'c has, though. Maybe they just opted for more accurate and familiar weapons, they did bring A LOT of supplies. I would think they have enough ammo to fight a small war.

As far as Zats go...I don't know why they wouldn't bring them. I think the writers just decided "Well, the zats probably won't work against the Wraith. Rather than wasting 5 or so minutes explaining what zats are and finding out they don't work through trial and error, just skip them entirely". I don't think they would work against Wraith anyway, it wouldn't make much sense if they could just kill any Wraith in 2 shots from a zat. I'm pretty sure those Wraith they "killed" are coming back to life.

Comment

There is probably some cache of weapons somewhere in Atlantis. Remember that SG-1 didn't procure Zats until the end of Season 1, if I remember correctly. (I'm still reviewing the eps in order as much as possible.)

Besides, if they left behind Puddle Jumpers, there must be more Ancient Weapons Tech somewhere. The creators are not willing to play all their cards just yet.
              I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Comment

Zats came in s1 finale yes.

Comment

Maybe as they explore Atlantis they will find an Ancient Armory.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                    Maybe as they explore Atlantis they will find an Ancient Armory.
                    There is little doubt that they will.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just jumping in to say that was a great first episode & I hope that the rest of the series continues to be that good.
                      My early favorites are Sheppard and McKay, although I see promise in Ford. McKay had the best one liners - "using power, using power," "chevron 1 enganged," and the best - "is there lemon in this?"

Comment

I like McKay... but Beckett was surprisingly good... by favorite line... "I never make friends like that".

Comment

All i have to say is it was great and i hope that season 1 goes well or it could go down hill pretty fast.

Comment

I really enjoyed the 2 hour premire, I have to admit it was better than I expected.

Major Shpperd is a great character and Beckett makes me laugh - he is going to be another comical character as is McKay. I liked the scene when they disscused the name of the puddle jumper and McKay I thought we were going with GATESHIP1 etc that was good.

One point thoe - in the trailer for the two hour opener we see McKay with some wires and he does an O'Neill line "So much for plan A", that wasn't in the episode so was it cut out or is it from another episode and they put it in there by mistake.

Comment

Moved from the Rate Atlantis: Rising (Spoilers) thread per Forum Mom's orders and edited slightly for better grammar.

Do I need spoiler space? I'm not sure, so I'll put some just to be safe...

S
                              P
                              O
                              I
                              L
                              E
                              R

S
                              P
                              A
                              C
                              E

I think I'm going to rate it a 7 out of 10.

I told myself almost all summer that I wouldn't watch Atlantis. The previews and all the spoilers just didn't speak to me. It was not on the "highly anticipated" list for me. However, I decided to watch the premire just for the heck of it (hey it *is* Stargate...) and was actually pleasantly surprised.

I LOVED the banter between the characters. They all seemed to keep each other in check. Very witty. I especially liked the "But I'm a Doctor. A medical Doctor. You don't understand, I break things like this." from Dr Beckett. Reminded me of Bones from the original Star Trek. Also, the exchange between Beckett and McKay at the end... "You need to get out more." "We're in another galaxy, how much more out can you get!?" was great.

Speaking of Beckett... it's about darn time a mainstream sci-fi show had a character with a Scottish accent!

I like Torri Higginson's Weir better in Atlantis than I did in SG1. It felt akward in SG1, having to pick up where Jessica Stein left off, but she fit in very well with the Atlantis team. I had been wondering how that would work out.

The special effects were AWESOME... the rising city... ! The blue gate with constellations as chevrons is way cool! The City sets are amazing! The Wraith are way fugly. The only thing that irked me about the visuals was the cell door on the Wraith ship. The set designer must have been recycling old SG1 props because I swear that was the same grate that Baal had Jack pinned against in season 6's Abyss.

On the downside of things, I think the show needed improvement in some areas. I wanted to see more Wraith. I know it's only the first episode, but I felt they weren't described enough to be terrifying. Time will tell.

At some points throughout the show, I felt like I was watching an episode of Trek. This is why I rate it a 7/10. The most obvious characteristics that caused this feeling are the "Help! We're lost in another galaxy and can't get home" theme (Voyager), the forced integration of human technology and computer systems into the Ancient technolgy to make things run (DS9 - can anyone else see McKay as O'Brien?). Also, there was the obvious "Red Shirt" character... Robert Patrick. Granted, TPTB have a long history of paying homage to (poking fun at?) many a great sci-fi show of the past, so I won't hold this against Atlantis too much.

One last thing that irked me (in a good way)... TPTB said there would be no ship in this series. *chuckle* I'm sorry guys but I have to call BS. I counted two scenes with Teyla/Sheppard ship: When he returned her lost choker in the caves and when they bumped heads in a display of trust at the end. (Okay, three if you count Sheppard babbling as a way of introduction, but that's *really* reaching. )

All in all, I enjoyed the premiere. SG1 is still my first love, so it will take a while for Atlantis to carve the same niche in my heart, but it shows potential. Good show guys. Keep it up!
                              Last edited by N8iveTexan; 18 July 2004, 06:33 AM. Reason: eye kan't speel
                              L8er,
                              Mandy _|,,|

Comment

Compared to SG-1s premiere episode, this one blew it out of the water. They have built a good foundation to move forward, and im liking what im seeing. There is only so much they can do in a premiere. If they told us everything about the Wraith at once there would be no stories to tell going forward

capt

Comment

Working...
                                X