Rising, Part 2 (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greytop
    You never can tell maybe all the female Wraith have red hair.
    Maybe. One can hope, anyway. Especially if it includes the same menacing attitude.
    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

May be she ascended? and we'll see her again? muahaha...was that lame?

Comment

Watching this again I never noticed how when Shepperd shows up McCay with his super fast calculation..in the background the one guy who is Indian I believe looks around in astonishment. This series is so good, the second time around you pick up on some cool stuff.

Comment

Watching part 2 on scifi tonight, I must say that the 'special' opening title sequence they used when the episode was split up was pretty darn pathetic!

A 2 minute shot of the ocean (with NOTHING happening) followed by a quick pan down to Atlantis in the last 5 seconds.

I know the episode was intended to be shown as a 2 hour TV movie, but yieks, they should have just sticked with the traditonal opening!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
            Watching this again I never noticed how when Shepperd shows up McCay with his super fast calculation..in the background the one guy who is Indian I believe looks around in astonishment. This series is so good, the second time around you pick up on some cool stuff.
            His facility with numbers is part of Sheppard's official bio, so his calculation didn't surprise me. But I didn't catch anyone else noticing because I was looking at McKay being puzzled that Sheppard knew the math. I think McKay was still stunned by Sheppard's math ability when he kind of meekly went to follow Sheppard's order to try all the combinations and send a MALP thru when he found one that locked in. But all Sheppard had to do is look up that number once since you know how many symbols you need to dial out.

Seeing the episode again made me realize how good the shots of the city rising from the water are. It just takes your breath away and I'm looking at it on a 20 inch screen.

When the door first opened when Sheppard and Weir walked by, this time I noticed Peter and McKay looking towards the door. The first thing I thought was "oops, they just let in some allergens!"

Now I recognize Stackhouse when I see him. I didn't remember him being on the rescue mission.

At the party at the end, I could identify some of the other expedition members. And this time I noticed McKay and Beckett standing in the background watching Sheppard and Teyla as a setup for their close up scene.

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I'm curious - just where is the break point between parts 1 and 2 of 'Rising'? I've only seen the full-lenght version...
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                I'm curious - just where is the break point between parts 1 and 2 of 'Rising'? I've only seen the full-lenght version...
                Just before the attack on Teyla's camp.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                  Seeing the episode again made me realize how good the shots of the city rising from the water are. It just takes your breath away and I'm looking at it on a 20 inch screen.
                  You know... I found myself stopping dead in what I was doing to stare at the television screen during those shots last night, and I wasn't even really watching the episode...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                    Just before the attack on Teyla's camp.
                    I see... Thanks.
                    Originally posted by Major Fischer
                    You know... I found myself stopping dead in what I was doing to stare at the television screen during those shots last night, and I wasn't even really watching the episode...
                    I seriously can't wait for it to come to DVD!

Comment

I seriously can't wait for it to come to DVD!
                      It just gets more amazing every time I see it. You can see the details of the water coming off different parts of the structure, that I can't imagin you can see on a small computer screen. it's really probably the most amazing piece of non-combat special effects I've seen in a LONG time. Maybe the best piece of non-combat CGI I've ever seen.

Comment

And that on a TV budget. Those guys know their stuff, that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                          His facility with numbers is part of Sheppard's official bio, so his calculation didn't surprise me. But I didn't catch anyone else noticing because I was looking at McKay being puzzled that Sheppard knew the math. I think McKay was still stunned by Sheppard's math ability when he kind of meekly went to follow Sheppard's order to try all the combinations and send a MALP thru when he found one that locked in. But all Sheppard had to do is look up that number once since you know how many symbols you need to dial out.
                          I think I've mentioned this before, but that calculation is not all that complex. It's a simple combinatorics problem. A grade school math whiz can understand it; a college student in math or another science- or computer-related field should know how to do that cold. And McKay should have known that, the real character exposition is how much he was looking down on everyone.
                          It's antithetical to my character and I don't like it on a fundamental level.

Comment

The split confused me because I thought we got to see the Wraith in the first part when we saw the full length version. But in the stand alone Rising Part 1, the last scene we see is McKay telling Weir the faster they get out of the ciity, the longer the shield will hold. A dramatic statement, but not as dramatic as encountering the Wraith for the first time. I know this was the last scene in Rising Part 1 because I was at a party watching the show and I said "Wait a minute, what happened to the Wraiths?"

In the stand alone Rising Part 2, the "last time on Stargate Atlantis" shows a bit of the scene with Sheppard and Teyla in the cave where he found her necklace. Also, is shown is what was supposed to be the last scene from the previous episode - Sheppard is saying "What is it?" and Teyla says "The Wraith!". These 2 scenes came after McKay tells Weir about the shield.

However, we didn't see those scenes when we saw the stand alone Rising Part 1.
                            Spoiler:
                            As we now know, the scene where Sheppard and Teyla were in the cave and he found her necklace is really important later on.

I don't know why we didn't see it in the separate episode version.

Or am I just remembering this all wrong?

Edit to say that this episode split was on the SciFi channel in the US.
                            Edit again because I realized I said something about a future episode. I forgot some people are just starting to see the series.
                            Last edited by watcher652; 19 October 2004, 10:58 PM.

My kind of guy:
                            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

UK SKY VIEWERS REMEMBER

ON Sky One at 9:00, Rising Part II airs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior
                                UK SKY VIEWERS REMEMBER

ON Sky One at 9:00, Rising Part II airs.
                                watching it now, and i have to say, i'm enjoying this. the characters are well-rounded, the plot interesting, the technology fun, there's great humour, and i will definitely enjoy seeing where this goes. and very well written.

only problem..not scared of the wraith. at all, and i get the feeling i'm supposed to be. but then i was never scared of the gou'ald either. it's only the replicators and super soldiers that give me the chills, so i guess that's just me.
                                Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Working...
                                X