Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iawen View Post
    Hi, everyone!

I'm really enjoying all the talk from the con! Sounds like everyone there is having a blast!!
    Would love to see Kavan Smith in person! And hear everyone tease JF. Hahahaha.

...Who is BamBam?
    James "Bam Bam" Bamford. SGA Stunt Coordinator and really fun guy to hang out with. He's done a couple of really cool stunt shows at a couple of the VanCons I've been to

in fact, he was in Siege II

sigpic
    My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Well, JM has posted. No news, but that is not surprising. This may all be rumors and there is nothing to it, or he may be gagged while waiting for an official announcement. That's a very tough place to be.

I think he may have gone off the deep end, though. The blog was about Absinthe, maple liquor and needing another drink!

I'm outta here. I think I need to watch an episode and I know I need some chocolate. Goodnight!

Comment

chocolate... sounds lovely..

and an ep... double lovely! LOL

night!
        sigpic
        My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Originally posted by SGAFan View Post
          oooh.... lovely!!!

Heh... I was being sarcastic on the hick part.. hehehehe (although there are some in this part of the country ) Agreed on the rest!

This is true... but I hope that if it does do well they don't just decide to completely moth ball SGA..

oh me too. I'm an eternal optimist on this. I'll always hold hope until they say "nope. No movie."

OMG! He did that at VanCon last year, it is so freakin' funny! He does a GREAT Nicholson and a really funny but pretty spot on Flanigan as well! LOL!!!
          I thought Chuck sounded exactly like Nicholson! I think all of the other actors overdo Joe's voice and it doesn't sound exactly like him, but it's still very funny, IMO. I know this story's been told before, but Chuck did say that Joe is a good sport about it all. Joe obviously saw Chuck's impersonation of him on YouTube. So, Chuck is walking through the lot, Joe is standing there leaning on a wall, as he does, and he spies Chuck, looks up from what he was doing, and motions with his finger for Chuck to come over. He looks at Chuck, tells him he's seen his impersonation of him on YouTube. Chuck is feeling a little concerned... but Joe just says, "It was very funny!" and gets back to his reading.
          Originally posted by knightie View Post
          Hi

Thanks for all the great p4 reports.

I am mad mad mad about the movie. Hopefully it will still come to pass.

I do bet that SGU 2 season pickup was in lieu of season 6 of SGA and 1st season of SGU. They took away SGA season 6 for a 2 season commitment. I am hoping that the good numbers SGA gave (per scifi own press release) will make Scifi the ones who push for the movie. I will hope until I hear that the sets were demolished. Too expensive to keep those sets to do nothing. Venturist is correct: We have the sets, its has its fan base so it will be cheap to make and it will make money. It makes no sense to me. They haven't even approached the actors (so they can't say that the actors outpriced themselves).

Hopefully Joe or Jason wil have more news at Bedford.
          I think people have to realise MGM isn't doing great at the moment. The rumour is it simply couldn't afford to produce two shows, so SGA went. Also as has been mentioned before, they wanted to do movies as they're more cost effective. However, common sense says SG1 has had two movies direct to DVD before and they've sold incredibly well. It's proven in that format. Thus with RDA starring in the new SG1 movie, they're going to go with that rather than SGA at the moment as far as is known. Sure, the SGA dvd's sell well, but on dvd movie format, SG1 is proven.

Kavan wasn't speculating about the movie, he said it as fact. But, things could change or might have already and he might not know about it. But he was definite that the movie had been temporarily shelved because of the financial climate and that they'd be looking at the situation towards the summer.
          Originally posted by Lorr View Post
          JM hasn't posted today, but someone did ask him about the comments coming out of P4 about the movie. Now he knows the source, even if not the mouth, of the information. He may not be able to answer it yet.
          I saw the person who asked the question's post. I didn't hear that the SGA movie wouldn't be filming till next year at the earliest. It was said they'd be looking at the financial situation later in the year, before summer.
          Originally posted by SheppAddictedFangirl View Post
          Well, just when I worked myself into a positive mood
          I´d rather have that first (only?) SGA movie than a THIRD SG-1 movie, tbh. They had 10 years! And 2 movies! And they were kinda finished already
          sorry if I step on any toes with that, but

Glad you had fun though
          And nice tidbits re Chris
          No. I am not bothered about an SG1 movie, personally. So no toes have been stepped on here. But, SG1 has a proven track record on DVD in a movie format. Hopefully SGA would sell incredibly well too. But it's a bit of an unknown. It's common sense to go with the show for a movie that has done well already in that format. It doesn't make me personally happy. But, I'm an Atlantis fan through and through and not a business woman.

Chris H is wonderful. A lovely guy. Very intelligent, thoughtful and a good laugh. I totally loved him to bits. He was so thoughtful in his observations about Todd and Sheppard's relationship, IMO. And he was great with fans. This was his first con, and he was such a pro!
          Originally posted by pilgrim soul View Post
          Well I'm still having trouble with my internet connection so I won't be asking tonight anyway. I'll ask in a couple of days if no one else has, I would just like an answer one way or the other before settling into a mood of righteous hysteria.
          Well, I think the answer would be nothing is certain until the contracts are signed. That's the way it is in life. I'm hopeful the movie will go ahead in the end. But the USA is in a recession and the movie/tv industry isn't doing great. So, fingers crossed it will go ahead soon.
          Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
          I guess that's a little surprising - but I don't know much about the movie biz. I mean they have the sets and shooting a movie that's going straight (or nearly straight) to DVD has to be a lot cheaper than a theatrical release I'm pretty sure MGM knows there is a built-in market already so they won't have to advertise much.

If TPTB are now blaming the current financial times for not making a movie, makes me even less interested if SGU succeeds or falls flat (especially since they seem to be spending money on that!)
          I think when times are tough, projects get delayed until business's get a clearer indictation of what's happening. They don't want to over-extend themselves. SGU is apparently cheaper to make. TPTB also seem to think SGA had run out of storylines. (Andy Mikita expressed this in an interview recently. He said he thought PM and JM would have struggled to fill 20 spots for season 6). So, MGM et al consider SGU the future of the franchise on TV. Whether they're right or not, time will tell.
          Originally posted by Salty View Post
          Much! Better enough to enjoy their birthdays

Welcome back! Oh man, sounds like you had an awesome time! I wonder if Joe wasn't exactly upset by the cancellation - I mean, he lost a good gig but he got to go home to be with his family and look for something local.
          No, Joe wouldn't have been happy, from what I know of him. Work isn't in plentiful supply out there at the moment and he was pretty certain a sixth season was going ahead. He's very loyal to the show and proud of it so he would have been very upset, I'd guess. SGA was good money, and a secure job in a very insecure industry. I know Joe didn't like being away from his family and found the travelling hard and was very tired because of doing that, (to be clear, this isn't heresay, he told us that directly), but he loved his job and I read all the actors were surprised, upset and annoyed about the cancellation.

Joe needs to work. How do I know? He said so. He said he couldn't do theatre work because it didn't pay well enough and he has three mouths to feed. And does anyone think he'd be doing two cons if he didn't need the money? Because, trust me, he wouldn't be. As much as he might like interacting with the fans at times.

So, no Joe wouldn't be happy about being unemployed, I'd say. Who would be? He loved SGA and was very proud of it. He's a smart guy. He'd get the business models etc.. but personally I think he'd have been pretty upset and like the rest of us, would feel SGA had been shafted.

That SUCKS about the movie! They so owe the fans! They kept saying how SGA was cancelled now on a high so fans would be into the movie and they could make money that way, but this makes me wonder if they were just tossing about the idea of a movie and said that to placate the fans. They can't just EaTG spoilers
          Spoiler:
          leave Atlantis on Earth - they have to at least get them back to the Pegasus Galaxy!
          So how come MGM has the funds for a whole 'nother series?
          It's hard to say. But in this recession, MGM genuinely might be strapped for cash and literally can't afford to make SGA at the moment. It sees SGU as the future for the franchise. It might well be right for all I know. Doesn't make me happy, of course. But, SGU could do really well for all I know. But, damn I'm annoyed and upset about SGA!

Maybe *fingers crossed* the cast hasn't been signed yet and that's the speculation?
          Nope. Not speculation. It was offered as fact. But things could have changed recently. It wasn't a definite 'no' for the movie. The exact wording was that the movie had been 'shelved' for the time being because of the financial climate and that it would be looked at again before the summer when MGM would have an idea how things were going. Kavan said it was understandable as it's pretty bleak out there at the moment, which I'm sure we're all aware of.

I hope someone got the "John Shepaaaaard" on vid and will put it on YouTube.
          I know someone who has it. And I think they're going to try to get it online soon

Sleep is overrated at a con, isn't it? You can sleep at home As long as you look pretty for your photo ops
          I don't need much sleep so I can keep going all night like the energiser bunny... so can SheppyD, Listy and Bebop! But, there's no fun in going to bed when you can be dancing and having fun!

Poor little rich boy! So how come Shep wasn't beat up more?
          Yeah! How come? He's so asking for it!

Again,

Maybe we should all ask him?
          Well, we could. But I don't ask him things any more. I don't dislike JM at all, though I don't always like what he posts on his blog or agree with what he says or how he words things. But he most likely would feel the same way about my posts!

Personally, he was very charming and sweet, and actually quite handsome, IMO. Not that looks have anything to do with anything... But, he never answers my questions and he thinks I'm a whining Sheppard fan... something Joe F and I have in common. We might be polite, but we love a good whine!

But he might not want to answer or be in a position to anyway. It's worth a try, but the situation was made pretty clear at the con. I'm just hopeful that the movie will go ahead as soon as the financial situation clears up or is sorted out.
          sigpic

Comment

If MGM are waiting for this financial slump to sort itself out ... they will be waiting a long time. The recession the world is caught up in not going to go away anytime soon..... so I honestly can't see the Movie going ahead if it has been shelved for finanial reasons..

It still makes me cross to hear why the PTB wanted to make SGU as they felt SGA had run out of ideas... SGA had so much potential and is was all squandered because the ptb were putting all their attention and focus into making their new show... it was pretty obvious from about Season 3 onwards that they had lost interest in SGA... but all it needed was a little more creative imput... which the ptb for some reason refused to do...

They are pulling all the stops out now for SGU.. new writers.. new creative consulants ..and a bigger budget.. Brad Wright confirmed that SGU would cost MORE than SGA to make.. he said if they were going to make a new show they wanted to do it right and therefore it was going to cost more..

So whichever way you look at it SGA got shelved because of the desire to make a new show... which the ptb are entitled to do.. but what makes me sad is how they went about doing it... they talk about SGU being the way forward and the new franchise but they already had a franchise in SGA.. but they lost interest in it and decided to toss it aside rather than going to any lenghts to make it better or utilise the wonderful cast they had to take Stargate into the future.

Personally I think they have made a huge mistake and SGU will shunter on for about 2-3 years but I don't see it being anymore sucessful than SGA and ultimateley the ptb won't really have achieved anything.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
              It gave us the chills too. But I was also strangely excited! Chris talked a lot about Sheppard and Todd and their relationship He had some very interesting takes on their situation.

Well everyone likes to beat up Joe as Sheppard!

Very concerning. Kavan isn't even sure it'll definitely go ahead at all. This explains a lot. I think the SG1 movie is a dead certainty - the actors have been tentatively approached and CB is writing it. SGA? Well, it's not important is it? Hopefully it'll go ahead, but I'm not holding my breath right now. Kavan did say this time last year 150 odd movies were being made in Hollywood etc. This year? 6!!!!!!!!!! That says it all. It's not a nice place out there financially at the moment, as we know
              That's just what I didn't want to hear on this dull and cold Monday morning. I don't think the financial crisis alone is answerable to the lack of movie projects. Don't forget that the SAG is still without a contract and maybe the studio's feel they can't commit until that's all sorted out. I wish the union would just sit down and clear things with the producers. They certainly can't afford to strike now. I believe their stubbornness is doing more harm than good for the vast majority of actors.

As for SGA's movie. Well they had better make an official announcement if they aren't going to make it and the excuse had better be a good one. Or there will be a lot of egg on their faces. And if SG-1 gets its third movie and SGA doesn't get one, then this is one customer who won't be buying.

And I think someone should inform JM because not so long back he confirmed that there would definitely be a SGA movie. How does that make him look??

But the one with the most egg on his face IMHO would be Brad Wright. And rightly so. Cancel SGA while it's still doing well for the good of the franchise. Barrrrr....humbug...that was a done deal two years ago so the shiny new toy could get a green light.

I'm hoping Kavan's news was only based on rumors because the thought of a movie was the only thing keeping me from being totally depressed about the demise of SGA.

Anyway thanks to everyone for your FAB con reports. It sounds like you had great time.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Astraldust View Post
                That's just what I didn't want to hear on this dull and cold Monday morning. I don't think the financial crisis alone is answerable to the lack of movie projects. Don't forget that the SAG is still without a contract and maybe the studio's feel they can't commit until that's all sorted out. I wish the union would just sit down and clear things with the producers. They certainly can't afford to strike now. I believe their stubbornness is doing more harm than good for the vast majority of actors.
                I don't disagree about the SAG. In fact some very top name actors have petitioned for the SAG NOT to strike as it would certainly spell doom for the industry in this climate - especially after the recent writers' strike. I can understand the concern about possible strikes, but there just isn't a lot of money around at the moment, and don't forget than the US is a year further ahead into its recession that Europe or the UK, so I do believe the main problem is the recession, yes, but the SAG problem is incredibly concerning too.

As for SGA's movie. Well they had better make an official announcement if they aren't going to make it and the excuse had better be a good one. Or there will be a lot of egg on their faces. And if SG-1 gets its third movie and SGA doesn't get one, then this is one customer who won't be buying.
                Well, the fact that they're waiting to see when and if they can afford it means they can't make an announcement until things are signed and sealed, I'd guess. It's always worried me that the actors haven't been contracted to appear. I think it worried JM too, from his comments in his blog. But it was nice to hear something from an actor about it all. I wasn't going to buy the SG1 movie anyway!

At the end of the day, If MGM can't afford it, they can't afford it. It's sad, but these things do happen. Hopefully it'll all be ok in the end and SGA will go ahead in movie format, but at this stage when and if are big factors. Maybe a rich Atlantis fan will come along and finance the movie? You never know...
                And I think someone should inform JM because not so long back he confirmed that there would definitely be a SGA movie. How does that make him look??
                The financial implications of making a movie are out of his hands. He can only say what he knows at any one time, or what he's allowed to say and things change from moment to moment anyway. It had become apparent that as nothing has been finalised that there were some issues concerning the filming of the film otherwise it'd have been all sorted out by now, IMO. So though I wasn't happy to hear Kavan's news, it didn't surprise me either. Grrrrr, is all I can say!

But the one with the most egg on his face IMHO would be Brad Wright. And rightly so. Cancel SGA while it's still doing well for the good of the franchise. Barrrrr....humbug...that was a done deal two years ago so the shiny new toy could get a green light.
                I don't think BW has egg on his face - yet, though his popularity amongst some SGA fans has plummeted recently. He will do if SGU flops though. He has to do what he thinks is right for him and the franchise just as MGM have to do what's right for them. I don't like it any more than any Atlantis fan, but the ratings for SGA weren't stellar and a SciFi exec did say partly SGA was canned for creative reasons as well as the obvious financial one's. At the end of the day we're totally powerless, alas. But I don't like the way SGA has been treated at all. However, money is what it's all about, and I do understand that, I really do.
                I'm hoping Kavan's news was only based on rumors because the thought of a movie was the only thing keeping me from being totally depressed about the demise of SGA.
                Kavan was asked about if he'd be in the movie and said he wasn't sure they'd be one as it'd had been 'temporarily shelved' because of the bad financial situation out there. He then said MGM'd be looking at the situation towards the summer. He wasn't speculating or creating rumours he was stating what he understood the situation to be. Now, he could be wrong, or things could have changed, but he wasn't talking about rumours here, he was talking about what he'd been told.

Anyway thanks to everyone for your FAB con reports. It sounds like you had great time.
                You're welcome. The con was surprisingly good!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard's Delight View Post
                  Oh I am not the one to ask for details

I forget everything although the highlight for me was Chris H doing Todd saying John Sheppard!!!!!

Oh and I actually did some con dancing - yes me !!!!!! Now that is a rare thing
                  Chris saying 'John Sheppard'!!!....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aXOBqWQ_4g8
                  sigpic

my fan fiction place

Comment

Oh I just remembered another funny story, but I can't remember if anyone told it already! So sorry if I'm repeating it.

I can't even remember whether it was BamBam or Kavan or Chuck who told the story!

Basically it's about firing P90's. HEHE!

Well, apparently the blanks cost $2 EACH! So, with budget issues, obviously sometimes the cast and directors are asked to not have the cast firing too many shots because of the cost. So, some directors are very good at this. Others not so much... Andy Mikita cough.... Certain actors are instructed to not fire freely but to be sparing with the ammo... to which Joe just fires non stop and grins wickedly totally ignoring the cost of the shells, firing at will, as the ammo man stands there going '2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12!!!!!' etc.

He just stands there shooting everything and then fires off more shots for good measure! Shame other cast members don't shoot Sheppard with such glee!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bebop View Post
                      Chris 'doing' John Sheppard!!!....

SQUEEEE! You're a total star... John Shepppaaaaaarddddd!
                      sigpic

Comment

Squee! Thanks!

And Linzi, thanks for all the great info from the con.

I'm loving all of your reports.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                          SQUEEEE! You're a total star... John Shepppaaaaaarddddd!
                          Originally posted by cc_mac View Post
                          Squee! Thanks!

And Linzi, thanks for all the great info from the con.

I'm loving all of your reports.
                          You are very welcome. he was SUCH a lovely person, and very funny too..
                          sigpic

my fan fiction place

Comment

Thanks for clearing up a few points Linzi. I know the SAG thing isn't entirely to blame but it's not helping the situation either.

I still think BW's handling of SGA's cancellation was demeaning and very poorly done. Five years ago SGA was his new baby but....one he'd obviously grown tired of fairly quickly. Hence the passing of it off to JM and PM. I was left with the feeling that he really didn't care if it lived or died. I guess he won't be too upset if the movie doesn't go ahead as long as the SG-1 one does and SGU is a total success.

One small point if Kavan is right then why are they working on the Atlantis set as reported last week by Creation????? http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgvan.htm. Or have Creation got their facts wrong?

Thanks for the link bebop. John Shepppaaaaaarddddd loved it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you!

Linzi, thanks for your great insights. I kind of guessed the movie would be postponed anyway. Fronting $7+M for a movie, even though it has very good prospects of returning a profit just didn't seem to be on the books.

I bought the last two SG1 movies,
                              Spoiler:
                              but was not very impressed with either of them. I can understand the need to wrap up the Ori, but going back to Baal yet again was very disappointing for me. It felt like they just wanted to toss something out there. I will need to hear that the next one is outstanding before I touch it.

I know, though, that JM & AM would put a lot of thought and effort into the SGA movie, so it would have been well worth it.

The way things are going, we will soon have nothing but "reality" programming and "news" magazine shows.

Anyway, I'd better get to work. I normally get up at 5:30, but woke at 4:00, couldn't get back to sleep so got up at 4:45. I'm going to be tired tonight!

I hope eveeryone has a good day!

Comment

One last thought - about SAG. The board/committee/whatever can recommend a strike, but the members have to vote to strike. I seriously doubt they will get enough members wanting to walk out in this financial climate. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                X