No announcement yet.

John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my. I don't pop by for a day, and a few million pages appear. And it's all about hands and feet! Of course, I eagerly scrolled down to see what hand-related advert had appeared at the bottom, but it's an accent-related one, instead.

Must resist urge to join in chat. Got story to write. *speaks firmly to self* I've got a Sheppard who's heroically staggered to the point at which he can heroically stagger no more. Collapse is imminent.

Oh, and I had to do someone's annual development review today. I hate doing these things. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for Shep's, though. (spoilers for S&R and The Seed)
    Spoiler:
    "And what do you feel went less well this year?"

"Got impaled. Almost got intubated. Got impaled."

"And what went well?"

"I didn't turn into a bug!"

"Okay... And what are your plans for the next year".

"Avoid sharp objects."

As for accents and Americanisms: I find that I use a lot more American expressions in speech when I'm writing in a fandom with American characters. Because I have to think that way when writing, it spills over into my speech. (Though not in the accent. I can't do accents.)

Comment

Originally posted by rhymer View Post
      Oh my. I don't pop by for a day, and a few million pages appear. And it's all about hands and feet! Of course, I eagerly scrolled down to see what hand-related advert had appeared at the bottom, but it's an accent-related one, instead.

Must resist urge to join in chat. Got story to write. *speaks firmly to self* I've got a Sheppard who's heroically staggered to the point at which he can heroically stagger no more. Collapse is imminent.

Oh, and I had to do someone's annual development review today. I hate doing these things. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for Shep's, though. (spoilers for S&R and The Seed)
      Spoiler:

"And what went well?"

"Avoid sharp objects."

Comment

Spoiler:

"And what went well?"

"Avoid sharp objects."

As for accents and Americanisms: I find that I use a lot more American expressions in speech when I'm writing in a fandom with American characters. Because I have to think that way when writing, it spills over into my speech. (Though not in the accent. I can't do accents.)
        oh sheppy...

re writing accents/americanisms: ok ill admit i get really annoyed when people write fanfic and write "accents" for people, the worst example is using carson and trying to write his scottish accent...even stuff like when i used to read fic and carson would call people laddie/lassie, just because its a very stereotypical scotish thing to say perhaps and yet i could never hear him say that!!

same when people dont try to write the same language for shep or any of them really..like..and i might get in trouble here so i apologise if anyone has done it, but having shep say "oh my gosh"..for example, we've heard the kind of things he'd say, even swearing shep i dont mind because i could imagine that..but oh my gosh....just no..it pulls me out of the story quite honestly because again i cant imagine him ever saying that.

again, no harm intended there, but thats what i feel!!

SIG BY MY SISTER OBSESSED1! WHEN SHEP GOES WHUMP I GO THUNK! My LJ

Comment

(No, still not writing. ) My excuse is that a few million children from various neighbouring houses are having a noisy game just outside, and all the windows are open, and it's hard to concentrate on whumping Shep when a gaggle of six year old girls are discussing who's playing the fairy and who's playing the pony.

Originally posted by Rootortoise View Post
          re writing accents/americanisms: ok ill admit i get really annoyed when people write fanfic and write "accents" for people, the worst example is using carson and trying to write his scottish accent...even stuff like when i used to read fic and carson would call people laddie/lassie, just because its a very stereotypical scotish thing to say perhaps and yet i could never hear him say that!!
          Oh, yes! It's perfectly possible to convey the feel of the accent with word choice and sentence structure. Plus, by singling out Carson as in need of this special treatment, it's treating him as the "weird" one, and implying that everyone else has "no accent." As someone brought up by a Scottish father, to me Carson's accent sounds a whole lot more normal than the American and Canadian accents, so, to me, if anything should be written phonetically (and I don't think it should) it would be them. Of course, it doesn't help that some people who write Carson phonetically make him sound so catastrophically not Scottish, but more Cockney than anything else.

same when people dont try to write the same language for shep or any of them really..like..and i might get in trouble here so i apologise if anyone has done it, but having shep say "oh my gosh"..for example, we've heard the kind of things he'd say, even swearing shep i dont mind because i could imagine that..but oh my gosh....just no..it pulls me out of the story quite honestly because again i cant imagine him ever saying that.
          My personal preference is for swearing exactly as we hear it on the show, since that, to me, is "their voice." I totally understand the reasoning behind people who say that "in real life", as opposed to TV with all its regulations, military people would swear a whole lot more, but to me, personally, it doesn't sound like him - and more than having him say "oh my gosh" would do.

But this is just my personal preference. This one's a vexed issue with arguments on both sides, I feel.

Comment

(No, still not writing. ) My excuse is that a few million children from various neighbouring houses are having a noisy game just outside, and all the windows are open, and it's hard to concentrate on whumping Shep when a gaggle of six year old girls are discussing who's playing the fairy and who's playing the pony.

Oh, yes! It's perfectly possible to convey the feel of the accent with word choice and sentence structure. Plus, by singling out Carson as in need of this special treatment, it's treating him as the "weird" one, and implying that everyone else has "no accent." As someone brought up by a Scottish father, to me Carson's accent sounds a whole lot more normal than the American and Canadian accents, so, to me, if anything should be written phonetically (and I don't think it should) it would be them. Of course, it doesn't help that some people who write Carson phonetically make him sound so catastrophically not Scottish, but more Cockney than anything else.

My personal preference is for swearing exactly as we hear it on the show, since that, to me, is "their voice." I totally understand the reasoning behind people who say that "in real life", as opposed to TV with all its regulations, military people would swear a whole lot more, but to me, personally, it doesn't sound like him - and more than having him say "oh my gosh" would do.

But this is just my personal preference. This one's a vexed issue with arguments on both sides, I feel.
            oh yeh it would be just as OOC to have shep drop the f-bomb a lot or whatever lol...but i could def hear him say that more (at least occasionally-seen it in fics where hes said it once in the right kind of situation)than oh gosh lol, obv the show doesnt allow anything too bad though.......but yes stick to damn and pissed and that kind of thing!

Its like shep crying loads in fics...espesh in front of people....i just dont see it!

tbh i dont read a lot of fic anymore anyway, i think this is one of the reasons, im easily put off by anythiing i wouldnt see shep doing!

Comment

So many pages. Heh, hands, feet and accents.

I don't really notice much about a man... I'm such a bad thunker. I do see eyes. But everything else... Some biceps, I never liked hairy men, but I can make an exception for Shep, because THUNK! I like hair. It's hard to find men with good hair like Shep's.

Now accents... I don't distinguish Canadian accents at all. I've tried and tried but got nothing. I also don't notice anything wrong with Carson. He sounds perfectly Scottish to me. I'm not very good identifying accents and terrible in understanding them. I find hard to clearly understand Doctor Who in some parts, and really hard understanding Torchwood. Especially when Gwen and Rhys get all Welsh and argue. I simply give up and hope it's not vital to the plot. I've learned roughly how Australian sounds on Lost.

I always get everything on Stargate on just one viewing, DW requires two viewings and TW needs infinite. When I get the sound I sometimes wonder what the heck that word means. And because of all these shows, my English has become some mixed jumble of tons of words from several places and diverse accents. I confuse myself sometimes...

Anyway, whump is an universal language and much easier to understand.
              My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
              Sig and avi by me
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                Me too. He looks amazing no matter what, but I just think he looks the best now, I have no idea why. I just think he looks better each season, which just doesn't make sense!
                He's like fine wine, he just gets better with age.
                Chicago Con Attendee 2011
                Chicago Con Attendee 2010
                GateCon Attendee 2008
                Vancouver Con Attendee 2007

Comment

Originally posted by pisces27 View Post
                  Indeed he does.
                  My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
                  Sig and avi by me
                  Spoiler:

Comment

oh yeh it would be just as OOC to have shep drop the f-bomb a lot or whatever lol...but i could def hear him say that more (at least occasionally-seen it in fics where hes said it once in the right kind of situation)than oh gosh lol, obv the show doesnt allow anything too bad though.......but yes stick to damn and pissed and that kind of thing!

Its like shep crying loads in fics...espesh in front of people....i just dont see it!

tbh i dont read a lot of fic anymore anyway, i think this is one of the reasons, im easily put off by anythiing i wouldnt see shep doing!
                    I can rarely read fanfic, because I am so very, very picky about the voices sounding "right." (And it's my definition of "right.") I, too, would have trouble with a fic where Sheppard cries, says "oh gosh," hugs his friends, etc. Plus, I don't like het, slash, fluff, overly AU, WIPS, long fics, or h/c (with exceptions for all of these, of course). Just shortish dark gen. (And in this show's case, Shep-centric, of course.)
                    My Livejournal
                    I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by pisces27 View Post
                      He's at the good age anyway, IMO. Mid 30s to mid 40s. Yum.
                      My Livejournal
                      I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by miniglik View Post
                        I can rarely read fanfic, because I am so very, very picky about the voices sounding "right." (And it's my definition of "right.") I, too, would have trouble with a fic where Sheppard cries, says "oh gosh," hugs his friends, etc. Plus, I don't like het, slash, fluff, overly AU, WIPS, long fics, or h/c (with exceptions for all of these, of course). Just shortish dark gen. (And in this show's case, Shep-centric, of course.)
                        if i read fanfic, like i said its rare these days, it has to be about shep...its like the show...i only watch for shep so im only really gonna want to read about him too heh...and it generally has to be whumpy lol!

Comment

Originally posted by *Erika* View Post

So many pages. Heh, hands, feet and accents.

I don't really notice much about a man... I'm such a bad thunker. I do see eyes. But everything else... Some biceps, I never liked hairy men, but I can make an exception for Shep, because THUNK! I like hair. It's hard to find men with good hair like Shep's.

Now accents... I don't distinguish Canadian accents at all. I've tried and tried but got nothing. I also don't notice anything wrong with Carson. He sounds perfectly Scottish to me. I'm not very good identifying accents and terrible in understanding them. I find hard to clearly understand Doctor Who in some parts, and really hard understanding Torchwood. Especially when Gwen and Rhys get all Welsh and argue. I simply give up and hope it's not vital to the plot. I've learned roughly how Australian sounds on Lost.

I always get everything on Stargate on just one viewing, DW requires two viewings and TW needs infinite. When I get the sound I sometimes wonder what the heck that word means. And because of all these shows, my English has become some mixed jumble of tons of words from several places and diverse accents. I confuse myself sometimes...

Anyway, whump is an universal language and much easier to understand.
                          I'll admit I occasionally have trouble understanding the various British accents when they're particularly strong. I can pick out Canadian accents and I'm pretty good at picking out where in the southern US someone is from - a person from Texas sounds very different from somebody from North Carolina.

I agree with GG, I've lived in Chicago and Ohio and wouldn't characterize JF's accent as midwestern.

Americanisms vs. Britishisms (vs. Australianisms) are always fun - went to Sydney and hit a coffee bar right after leaving the airport, ordered a small black coffee and got handed an espresso!
                          sigpic

Comment

It's funny because I usually fall for the younger geeky (or just not very manly) guys on TV shows (ie Carter on ER, Greg on CSI, Charlie on Numb3rs) but JF totally broke that trend. I mean, he's manly and he's in his 40's (I'm 16so there's a bit of an age difference there .) But yes, JF certainly opened up a new door to me and I love it! Though I still love my little geeky guys

Around 56 hours before Broken Ties for us esat coasters!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by causeAscene View Post
                              It's funny because I usually fall for the younger geeky (or just not very manly) guys on TV shows (ie Carter on ER, Greg on CSI, Charlie on Numb3rs) but JF totally broke that trend. I mean, he's manly and he's in his 40's (I'm 16so there's a bit of an age difference there .) But yes, JF certainly opened up a new door to me and I love it! Though I still love my little geeky guys

When I was 16 I thought Harrison Ford was one of the sexiest men alive and back then he was... (*imdbing*) 52. Dang. He's 66 now. (I was totally basing this off of his Han and Indy days though, where he was 30s and 40s.) Great thing about fictional characters: I keep getting older and they keep stayinig the same age.

Speaking of... really, who is Sheppard but Han Solo in the military? Good to know I'm consistant.
                              My Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by causeAscene View Post

16? *feels old*

Originally posted by miniglik View Post
                                When I was 16 I thought Harrison Ford was one of the sexiest men alive and back then he was... (*imdbing*) 52. Dang. He's 66 now. (I was totally basing this off of his Han and Indy days though, where he was 30s and 40s.) Great thing about fictional characters: I keep getting older and they keep stayinig the same age.

Speaking of... really, who is Sheppard but Han Solo in the military? Good to know I'm consistant.
                                And Joe is slowly morphing into Harrison Ford anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X