No announcement yet.

John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know you're a bad, bad whumper when... you spend all day playing a computer game, when you're supposed to be writing.

However...

You know you're a Shep whumper when...
    ... you name your main character "Sheppy"
    ... you actually quite like it when he gets hurt, even though this means that you're probably losing, because you like the way he gasps "I... I am surely close to death," even as he carries on fighting
    ... you keep finding yourself thinking, "ooh, that would be a good thing to write a fic about", as your main character gets mind controlled into hurting his team, or when someone casts "hold person" on him mid-battle and he can only stand there unmoving as baddies stab him with pointy things.

(On point 2, I love it in certain first person games when the camera angle drops down when you're badly hurt, to indicate that you can't even stand properly and are dragging yourself along the floor.)

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
    I can't believe you have a 21 year old!

A stuffed Shep? Like a whumper I have to ask - force fed or from indulging too much?
    Hopefully not trussed up like a turkey and stuffed with sage and onion stuffing. (Mmm... stuffing... one of my Favourite Things.)

Comment

Congrats on 3500 SAF

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
      Afternoon Whumpers!

STILL drizzling here.......this has been days now. Enough already! It's cold too. Bleh!

STEVE AUSTIN.........bwahahaha!!! Poor Shep.....he gets whumped no matter which form he's in. Those AFs are handy! Mine is still in his original case. Got cats around here......and Connor Joe.......so I don't want them eating the P-90 or assorted stuff that Shep came with. Every now and then, when I pass the bookcase where he lives now, I hear a sort of muffled snickering, like he can't get hurt in the case. Little does he know.........that's a nice fall should he fall off the bookcase.

I must admit.........I have been a life long whumper. It's only since I came across GW that I heard what I do to characters has a NAME.

Okay......2 things we have to send a rep to ask JF at the next Con:
      Spoiler:
      what was in that coffee cup to cause that delightful scene; and how hard did Jason pull his hair in "DG"

We should start a "YOU KNOW YOU'RE A SHEP WHUMPER WHEN"........list!

Off to catch up.

IHS
      You know you are a Shep Whumper when you visit your local DIY store or Garden Cenre and see equipment that hurts rather than fixes and spend far too much time staring at said equipment with a gleam in your eye as scenarios fly through your head.

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
      You know you're a whumper when you look forward to going to bed so you can have Sheppy whumpy day dreams before you finally drift off to sleep...
      ooooo yes!!! thats a good one!!

Well, we survived the 21st Birthday party! I do feel rather stuffed full of food though! Oh, that's an idea... Sheppy whumped because he's eaten too much! ... You know you're a whumper when you imagine the most ridiculous way to whump Sheppard!
      Glad it went well, was the cake amazing?

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
      The Shrine:
      Spoiler:
      The wormhole only works 1 way - matter can only pass through in 1 direction. So e.g. if Atlantis dials the SGC, people from Atlantis can step through the wormhole to the SGC but no-one from SGC can step through and get through to Atlantis - they'd have to let the wormhole shut down and open up a new one in the other direction, from SGC to Atlantis, to do so. So even though the gate from Atlantis was active to a planet where the gate was underwater, the water cannot come back through the wormhole as the wormhole isn't allowing matter to pass through in that direction, only outwards from Atlantis. Hope that makes sense.

When they called Atlantis back the water would have come through the wormhole to Atlantis that time but they didn't send a security code/IDC so the shield was up and Sheppard straight away told em to leave it up. Actually, interesting thought... the shield being up at the Atlantis end wouldn't stop the water entering the active wormhole... it just would mean it can't get through the shield at the other end. Surely the gate remaining open for 38 minutes, as it did, would have effectively drained a lot of water from the flooded valley as it would have been continuously pouring into the active wormhole?

I think another (whumpy) interesting question/thought about that moment in that ep is exactly what happened when the team came through the flooded gate - it's not like they took a deep breath/held their breath prior to going through... so they would have stepped out of the gateroom and found themselves abruptly surrounded by water, having to clamp mouths shut without having had chance to grab any extra air, disoriented, needing to work out which way to go to reach the surface/find air, and having to swim up a good maybe 10 foot or so to reach the surface!
      Thats really interesting
      Spoiler:
      potentially they could have just dialled every 38 minutes and cleared the flood a lot quicker, the water would cease to exist wouldn't it so its not like it would go anywhere to cause problems for someone else and think of the potential of Sheppy whump, poor guy getting hypothermia if he had to keep diving down into the water to dial the gate, or some kind of lung infection...... at the very least a nasty cold.

Originally posted by *Erika* View Post
      *pokes Ali's muse to write those missing scenes* *offers chocolate*
      My thoughs exactly...... *looks around for chocolate to offer too.... or something maybe the little one is causing a craving for...

I am hoping to actually get some writing done this week. Life has been kinda crazy busy recently but am staying at my mum's for a few days now and chilling out so may actually get around to some writing...
      YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy dance!!!

Comment

I just found a pic laying around my PB that I had forgoten I had. I just love it!

DG
        Spoiler:

EDIT: I played with it a bit.
        Last edited by *Erika*; 15 March 2009, 09:35 AM.
        My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
        Sig and avi by me
        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by SanGate View Post
          Hey Steve! I'm not the one making my siggies though But thanks for complimenting my taste

I'm so-so OT
          Spoiler:
          Dad was sent to the hospital this morning with heart probs Quite scary After all sorts of tests, he's coming home in a bit, so will see what the doc has said. There was something wrong though So yeah, worrisome afternoon
          (((HUGS))) I hope they find it's nothing serious! OT
          Spoiler:
          My youngest brother went to the emergency room a few years ago, thinking he was having a heart attack. It turned out to be an ulcer caused by h. pylori, something I had for years and years!

The Shrine:
          Spoiler:
          The wormhole only works 1 way - matter can only pass through in 1 direction. So e.g. if Atlantis dials the SGC, people from Atlantis can step through the wormhole to the SGC but no-one from SGC can step through and get through to Atlantis - they'd have to let the wormhole shut down and open up a new one in the other direction, from SGC to Atlantis, to do so. So even though the gate from Atlantis was active to a planet where the gate was underwater, the water cannot come back through the wormhole as the wormhole isn't allowing matter to pass through in that direction, only outwards from Atlantis. Hope that makes sense.

When they called Atlantis back the water would have come through the wormhole to Atlantis that time but they didn't send a security code/IDC so the shield was up and Sheppard straight away told em to leave it up. Actually, interesting thought... the shield being up at the Atlantis end wouldn't stop the water entering the active wormhole... it just would mean it can't get through the shield at the other end. Surely the gate remaining open for 38 minutes, as it did, would have effectively drained a lot of water from the flooded valley as it would have been continuously pouring into the active wormhole?

I think another (whumpy) interesting question/thought about that moment in that ep is exactly what happened when the team came through the flooded gate - it's not like they took a deep breath/held their breath prior to going through... so they would have stepped out of the gateroom and found themselves abruptly surrounded by water, having to clamp mouths shut without having had chance to grab any extra air, disoriented, needing to work out which way to go to reach the surface/find air, and having to swim up a good maybe 10 foot or so to reach the surface!
          Hmmm...that got me thinking! The Shrine
          Spoiler:
          I did wonder if they automatically hod their breath as they step into the wormhole, but it must have been a rude surprise when they got to the other side!

Emptying the water into the wormhole, though, is another thing. In 38 Minutes, they said the body or object does not get transmitted until the "whole object" stepped through the gate of origin. Would it consider the water the same way? Do individual molecues of water register that way? Interesting thought.

I am hoping to actually get some writing done this week. Life has been kinda crazy busy recently but am staying at my mum's for a few days now and chilling out so may actually get around to some writing...
          I hope all is going well there.

I'm glad the party went well, Linzi!

Comment

I can't believe you have a 21 year old!
            It's really weird, but everyone says that to me. I have no idea why anyone would be surprised I'd have a daughter that age. I mean, sure I was a young mum, but not that young, (I was in my early twenties and had been married for 18 months when I had her). Ok, I can't deny that when I had my eldest, the midwives thought I looked 16! I thought it was funny they thought that. But people stopped thinking I wasn't the owner of my home about 7 years ago now! And I haven't been asked for ID when buying alcohol for some years now
            A stuffed Shep? Like a whumper I have to ask - force fed or from indulging too much?
            Well, either works for me!
            Yes, unbelievable! Her daughter is almost as old as I am! I want to know your diet, Linz!
            It's called the stay out of the sun, moisturise a lot and have lots of fun diet... oh yeah, also don't eat too many bad things, exercise but drink a reasonable amount of alcohol... finally, and most importantly, watch loads of Shep whump. That's the key, I think!

Originally posted by Listy View Post
            Congrats on 3500 SAF

You know you are a Shep Whumper when you visit your local DIY store or Garden Cenre and see equipment that hurts rather than fixes and spend far too much time staring at said equipment with a gleam in your eye as scenarios fly through your head.

ooooo yes!!! thats a good one!!

Glad it went well, was the cake amazing?
            The cake was fantastic! Just like it showed on the website and it tasted gorgeous! I wouldn't say it was necessarily worth the money, but I was very pleased!
            I just found a pic laying around my PB that I had forgoten I had. I just love it!

DG

EDIT: I played with it a bit.
            I like the one you played with best! Can't think why.... Very good! Thanks for sharing!
            Originally posted by Lorr View Post
            (((HUGS))) I hope they find it's nothing serious! OT
            Spoiler:
            My youngest brother went to the emergency room a few years ago, thinking he was having a heart attack. It turned out to be an ulcer caused by h. pylori, something I had for years and years!

Spoiler:
            I did wonder if they automatically hod their breath as they step into the wormhole, but it must have been a rude surprise when they got to the other side!

Emptying the water into the wormhole, though, is another thing. In 38 Minutes, they said the body or object does not get transmitted until the "whole object" stepped through the gate of origin. Would it consider the water the same way? Do individual molecues of water register that way? Interesting thought.

I hope all is going well there.

I'm glad the party went well, Linzi!
            Thanks, Lorr. Just finished the second party, which ran from this afternoon till, oh, about 30 mins ago. I'm completely exhausted, have a cold, courtesy of the kids in the class I'm working in, and am feeling not so great! I need some Sheppy whump! How about some Sheppy with a nasty cold, a la Irresistible? Shep sounds so cute when he coughs!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
              Thats really interesting
              Spoiler:
              potentially they could have just dialled every 38 minutes and cleared the flood a lot quicker, the water would cease to exist wouldn't it so its not like it would go anywhere to cause problems for someone else and think of the potential of Sheppy whump, poor guy getting hypothermia if he had to keep diving down into the water to dial the gate, or some kind of lung infection...... at the very least a nasty cold.
              Although [The Shrine:]
              Spoiler:
              thinking about it, it might not do the planet's eco-system much good to have a huge volume of water permanently removed from it! Would probably mess with the climate and all sorts...

Originally posted by Lorr View Post
              Spoiler:
              That's another very good point.

The Shrine:
              Spoiler:
              How would the gate treat water? As one contiguous whole which won't transmit until it's all passed through the event horizon? Or not. Yeah, you may well have something there... I reckon, on thinking about it, that water wouldn't pass through the wormhole... because if water were to pass through then that would surely also mean that air/atmosphere would pass through the gate.. meaning that if you dialed a space gate from a planet, you could accidentally deplete the planet of some of its atmosphere, with it venting into space through the gate?
              sigpic

Comment

Although [The Shrine:]
                Spoiler:
                thinking about it, it might not do the planet's eco-system much good to have a huge volume of water permanently removed from it! Would probably mess with the climate and all sorts...

That's another very good point.

The Shrine:
                Spoiler:
                How would the gate treat water? As one contiguous whole which won't transmit until it's all passed through the event horizon? Or not. Yeah, you may well have something there... I reckon, on thinking about it, that water wouldn't pass through the wormhole... because if water were to pass through then that would surely also mean that air/atmosphere would pass through the gate.. meaning that if you dialed a space gate from a planet, you could accidentally deplete the planet of some of its atmosphere, with it venting into space through the gate?
                My head is going round and round, because you're totally right here, I think. I really think you ought to ask Joe Mallozzi to explain what can go through a wormhole and what can't. I mean, surely he'd know? Or not....
                sigpic

Comment

My head is going round and round, because you're totally right here, I think. I really think you ought to ask Joe Mallozzi to explain what can go through a wormhole and what can't. I mean, surely he'd know? Or not....
                  Hmm... on a show that had any kind of bible etc where they'd thought these things through in advance and kept a record of it, I'd say yes, surely they'd know... on SGA though... I think the question wouldn't even be asked unless the plot of an episode raised it and the answer would depend on what they wanted to do with the plot!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Lorr. Just finished the second party, which ran from this afternoon till, oh, about 30 mins ago. I'm completely exhausted, have a cold, courtesy of the kids in the class I'm working in, and am feeling not so great! I need some Sheppy whump! How about some Sheppy with a nasty cold, a la Irresistible? Shep sounds so cute when he coughs!
                    Welcome to the world of children. They have all new stuff for you to catch. Believe me -- I know. This year has been horrible with stuff. I am dealing with yet another nasty cold. I am going to blame this one on Hubby and his Bronchitis.

**thinks about Shep in childcare setting catching colds, stomach flu, papercuts, back issues from leaning over so much and much more fun**
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alipeeps View Post
                      although [the shrine:]
                      Spoiler:
                      thinking about it, it might not do the planet's eco-system much good to have a huge volume of water permanently removed from it! :s would probably mess with the climate and all sorts...

that's another very good point.

The shrine:
                      Spoiler:
                      how would the gate treat water? As one contiguous whole which won't transmit until it's all passed through the event horizon? Or not. Yeah, you may well have something there... I reckon, on thinking about it, that water wouldn't pass through the wormhole... Because if water were to pass through then that would surely also mean that air/atmosphere would pass through the gate.. Meaning that if you dialed a space gate from a planet, you could accidentally deplete the planet of some of its atmosphere, with it venting into space through the gate?
                      My head hurts.
                      My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
                      Sig and avi by me
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
                        Welcome to the world of children. They have all new stuff for you to catch. Believe me -- I know. This year has been horrible with stuff. I am dealing with yet another nasty cold. I am going to blame this one on Hubby and his Bronchitis.

**thinks about Shep in childcare setting catching colds, stomach flu, papercuts, back issues from leaning over so much and much more fun**
                        Why do I suddenly see Shep with paste or play-doh in teh hair? Is that allowable hair whump?
                        sigpic

Comment

Why do I suddenly see Shep with paste or play-doh in teh hair? Is that allowable hair whump?
                          ...or a matchbox car with the wheels tangled in his hair. Don't laugh, it happens!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmm... on a show that had any kind of bible etc where they'd thought these things through in advance and kept a record of it, I'd say yes, surely they'd know... on SGA though... I think the question wouldn't even be asked unless the plot of an episode raised it and the answer would depend on what they wanted to do with the plot!
                            What bible? What canon? They changed too many things to suit what they wanted to do, and then got pi**ed when someone questioned it. Sloppy short cuts.

Originally posted by Pocus View Post

Aw, sweetie! Get better soon.

Last edited by Lorr; 15 March 2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Somehow I don't think play dough could tame the unruly Chia 'do. But paper cuts in the right places hurt like he**. I speak from personal experience...with paper cuts...not play dough. hehehehe }:O
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crimsonravenwolf View Post
                                Somehow I don't think play dough could tame the unruly Chia 'do. But paper cuts in the right places hurt like he**. I speak from personal experience...with paper cuts...not play dough. hehehehe }:O
                                Well, there were the days I was in my punk phase - it was pretty amazing what I'd put in my hair to spike it or make it big (jello, egg whites, glue...)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X